McDermott end of season press conference

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

When’s Beanes end season presser? Interested on what he plans on not doing this offseason…. 

Why do you think that. I mean he will have to do some things this time since some players will need replacing. Also should help with cap increase right? I expect more will be done than last year anyways

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

When’s Beanes end season presser? Interested on what he plans on not doing this offseason…. 

I think Wgr mentioned Beane will be addressing the media tomorrow. 

I will be particularly be  interested to hear his thoughts on the Dline that we once again invested so heavily.

Considering the team we had this year I’m still kind of surprised there wasn’t a move made before the trade deadline to bring someone to possibly put us over the top. It was very quiet on his front.

we definately  missed Tre out there. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Daboll does get the NYG job and wants to bring Dorsey....I wouldn't go if I was him.

Allen is going to get you a HC job faster than Daniel Jones or whoever they put back there.

Totally agree. Every game is just going to be a wild fun ride with Josh. Plus Josh loves the heck out of him.

Good luck to Daboll. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back here in four years. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Daboll does get the NYG job and wants to bring Dorsey....I wouldn't go if I was him.

Allen is going to get you a HC job faster than Daniel Jones or whoever they put back there.

I would also hope Mcd and Daboll would talk about this sort of thing.. hopefully Daboll would respect The teams wishes if they want to promote Dorsey. 

I guess more of a respect thing to not even enquire about it. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Goes to show you that he is not a situational coach, at all.   Andy Reid has every situation addressed and it always shows.  The end of that game was proof of this.

It's so funny that people now say this about Reid. 

Sean will be fine 

Jay Skurski doesn't like McDermott's presser

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/analysis-sean-mcdermott-walks-tightrope-with-lack-of-explanation-for-now-infamous-13-seconds/article_db328f04-7e24-11ec-9dcd-43e250208e79.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_TheBuffaloNews

Two days after one of the most painful losses in franchise history, Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott still wasn’t ready to provide any meaningful insight into how the meltdown occurred.  Specifically, McDermott had little to say about the now-infamous 13 seconds at the end of regulation Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium

(........)
In the aftermath, Bills fans, naturally, have a lot of questions, the biggest of which is simple: What the heck happened?

McDermott didn’t have a lot to offer by way of an explanation Tuesday during a season-ending video news conference that lasted nearly 40 minutes.

In coach language, “execution” is a catch-all word. It’s a way for a coach – or player – to make it sound as if he’s answering a question, without offering substance. It provides little by way of true meaning, leaving those who hear the answer to interpret their own.

Of course, chalking things up to “execution” is also a way for a coach to avoid publicly singling out a player or assistant coach – assuming one or more of them screwed up their assignments.

Neither of those are any surprise.  McDermott has consistently refused to throw coaches or players under the bus (with the somewhat shocking exception of 'Lil Dirty).  He also specializes in sounding as though he's engaging with the press and providing answers, while providing little substantive information.

What does this mean, though?

McDermott, though, is walking a tightrope here. While it shows good leadership to not throw anyone under the bus, it doesn’t sit well with most fans that he’s basically providing a non-answer to valid questions about the sequence of events that led to the end of a season that had such promise. In protecting his team, he’s lost some support from the fan base – at least temporarily. The significance of that should not be underestimated.

Does Skurski think the fans are going to turn away from this team because McDermott is stonewalling questions?

One frustration of mine.  McDermott said:

“When you look at it, it's been disappointing, particularly the last part of the game. It's an area, those 13 seconds in particular, that we pride ourselves in being detailed and prepared. It's an area of situational football practiced almost daily here. It's typically handled very well. It's something that we all have to face. We're not going to run from it, and (we’ll) learn from it.

I would have liked to see some reporters take up the line of questioning, HOW are you going to face it?  You note that you already practice daily, you try to be detailed and prepared.  So what will be different to achieve a different result. 

You're not going to run from it, what does that mean?

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A lot to ask from a Buffalo sports reporter…. Can’t even listen to a Sal question. Dude just kisses McDs ass. 

Capacchio? I remember back in the day when that dude used to do a postgame show on Justin.tv if people remember what that was. He was fun to listen to back then. 

He is basically just a homer though. You’re not gonna get much good stuff from this Buffalo media. 

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Jay Skurski doesn't like McDermott's presser

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/analysis-sean-mcdermott-walks-tightrope-with-lack-of-explanation-for-now-infamous-13-seconds/article_db328f04-7e24-11ec-9dcd-43e250208e79.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_TheBuffaloNews

Neither of those are any surprise.  McDermott has consistently refused to throw coaches or players under the bus (with the somewhat shocking exception of 'Lil Dirty).  He also specializes in sounding as though he's engaging with the press and providing answers, while providing little substantive information.

What does this mean, though?

Does Skurski think the fans are going to turn away from this team because McDermott is stonewalling questions?

One frustration of mine.  McDermott said:

I would have liked to see some reporters take up the line of questioning, HOW are you going to face it?  You note that you already practice daily, you try to be detailed and prepared.  So what will be different to achieve a different result. 

You're not going to run from it, what does that mean?

Every HC does this. You should hear how Kevin stefanski answers questions. The media goes apesh*t

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The fact you think only the first 2 rounds matter tells me I don't even need to discuss football with you again.  Especially on a team that has Milano, Knox, Davis, Singletary, Levi, Brown, etc on it all playing vital and impactful roles who did not come here the way of the first 2 picks.  Literally you have not said one factual or relevant thing in this discussion...just whining about a handful of early picks in the draft as if that is the only thing that matters to building a team. 

TBD is getting angsty and argumentative today.

"Nature is healing" folks 😆😆😆

Edited by BillsShredder83

If he called for the kickoff to go out of the end zone, what he said today is a more fireable offense then how he choked the game away and Bills might never be able to forgive him for it.  

And in no way as a GM would I want to be forced into having to fire McD and just hand Daboll the job.  

In no way has this even crossed my mind as the kind of savage big d move you make bc Sunday was so unacceptable and the explanation even worse nope not even crossed my mind once it would be a massive mistake I've been saying all year I can't wait for someone to hire Daboll and that is what's going to happen and life goes on it has been explained to me that McD will definitely recover from this we have every reason as Bills Fans to believe that.  

Trust the process.  Bass definitely kicked it too far.      

Edited by Big Blitz

So I listened to McDermott's interview again.

The most interesting (to me) part was at the end when (I think) Jay Skurski was asking aout re-signing free agents.

Last season (as Skurski noted) McDermott did say something about it being a priority to re-sign as many of our own as we could.

This season he said nothing about that, and said that they would have to take their time and go through on a case-by-case basis.

Earlier in the presser McDermott said something about bringing back the same guys sometimes causing its own problems, and he was proud of the team and coaches that they were able to work through them.

I came away with the impression that there are guys they do not want back  (I'm sure there are also guys they do want back)

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lmao.  Really?  We traded a first for Diggs, traded up twice for Allen, traded up for Ford, drafted Devin, Knox, Davis, Brown, etc.  

But please, tell us all again how we only focused on defense the last 5 years.  

Offense was unstoppable in the playoffs and defense didn’t get the job done against KC.  Yet you’re somehow opposed to addressing the defense?

Geezus this place is off he rails right now

I think he is talking about our first pick in 2020 (AJ) and first two last year, both DE with little impact so far.  We are not great drafting front 7….perhaps a scouting dept issue. 

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I listened to McDermott's interview again.

The most interesting (to me) part was at the end when (I think) Jay Skurski was asking aout re-signing free agents.

Last season (as Skurski noted) McDermott did say something about it being a priority to re-sign as many of our own as we could.

This season he said nothing about that, and said that they would have to take their time and go through on a case-by-case basis.

Earlier in the presser McDermott said something about bringing back the same guys sometimes causing its own problems, and he was proud of the team and coaches that they were able to work through them.

I came away with the impression that there are guys they do not want back  (I'm sure there are also guys they do want back)

good note.  wonder who?   hopefully they do not want Edmunds back.  trade him.  

bringing the same guys back would net the same results.  need to shed cap to get Chandler Jones here

14 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Given how gassed the D was, with 20/20 retrovision, we probably should have gone for two after the last TD. Four point lead likely safe and the risk/reward against a tired Chief's D flips the burden. If you miss, Bills play a much more aggressive D because they know a FG can beat them.

I actually think a big help would have been going for the 4th and short earlier in the 4th. The D was gassed. They needed a break and the offense had momentum. Converting even to punt a few minutes later would have done wonders for their rest. 

34 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think he is talking about our first pick in 2020 (AJ) and first two last year, both DE with little impact so far.  We are not great drafting front 7….perhaps a scouting dept issue. 

good note.  wonder who?   hopefully they do not want Edmunds back.  trade him.  

bringing the same guys back would net the same results.  need to shed cap to get Chandler Jones here

Feliciano may be on that list. But he’s pretty cheap. Darryl Williams possibly? He’s a bit expensive but was an asset at OG. 

17 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

When he continues to say execution I think he is putting blame on the entire team not an individual. Like it was chaos that last 13 seconds but it shouldn't have gotten to that point 

Like was kicking it out of bounds a mistake? if it was you still only have 13 seconds to kill. You should still be able to do that

But the word execution does scare me that McDermott doesn't know or doesn't think mistakes strategically were made. Which there were many in that 13 seconds 

Another thing that boggles my mind is that the Bills called timeouts before each of those plays in the last 13 seconds.  

Before the start of the first play, Edmunds, Milano and one of the safeties were 15 yards back from the LOS. The other safety was at the Bills 45, 30 yards from the LOS.  Just before the snap, the CBs also moved back close to 15 yards.  I think they were scared to have T. Hill get another long TD to win the game.  Playing back so far, they were fortunate Hill only got 19 yards.

I looked back at the previous Chiefs drive and the Bills had tight coverage, so good that Mahomes couldn’t find anybody open on the first couple plays.  Then came the cross that Hill took to the house.

Before the 2nd play, the Bills back 7 defenders seemed to have moved up about 5 yards from the previous play.  Kelce runs straight ahead between defenders and Milano tries to catch up to him.  Luckily Wallace just got a hand on his foot to bring him down.  The other Bills defenders then converged.  Having now watched that play a bunch of times, the Bills could’ve just grabbed Kelce and the clock would’ve run out.  You can’t fault Wallace for making the tackle though.  

Tony Romo questioned why the Bills were rushing 4.  One of them was Addison at left end.  He started to rush, then backed up and there were no Chiefs around so his presence was a waste.  On such a crucial play, I just don’t get why they didn’t double Kelce and T.Hill.  Let them try to beat you with their less talented players going one-on-one.  As he often does, Romo saw the play before it happened with how the Bills were lined up and called it.  

13 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

McDermott won't say anything because there's nothing he can say. How can he possibly explain that sequence? There is no explanation that will make any sense. 

Even in ' better ' times than this latest game... His press conferences are a waste of time... Rarely is something elaborated on past cliche and coachspeak...

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

McDermott won't say anything because there's nothing he can say. How can he possibly explain that sequence? There is no explanation that will make any sense. 

The only answer I was interested in was why they didn't squib kick it or kick it short of the goal line.  You bleed four to six seconds off the clock they'll only have one offensive play and they pry try some weird hook and lateral or something.  If they fair catch it at the five then they have a long way to go in 13 seconds.

Just reading between the tea leaves of McDermott's comments and what I saw on the All 22 is Bass was supposed to do a squib kick and he didn't.  The coverage team was expecting it as there seemed to be some confusion as they walked off the field.  Somewhere there was a communication breakdown and that's all on McDermott.  Maybe Bass misheard "squib kick it" and heard "kick the ***** out of it."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.