McDermott end of season press conference

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, harryS said:

yeah, McD's mouth muscles needed to execute the command "Squib kick" to the special teams.

it is shameful how he won't accept responsibility and publicly apologize to the city, the fans, and the team.  shame!

Publicly apologize to the city and fans?

Dude, you have some serious issues. Get help.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not saying to address only one of the other.  I’m saying it’s utterly ridiculous to come on here (not you, the poster I quoted) and claim we have only focused on defense the last 5 years and therefore it’s a mistake to give any attention the defense this off-season.  

We absolutely need to also address the OL.  I disagree we need more speed, our offense was plenty explosive.  I’m all for more speed, just saying the Achilles heal on offense was always our OL more than anything.  Fix that and we are all the top offense in the NFL next year.  

We have needs to address on both sides of the ball this off-season.  

we do need more speed, but perhaps mckenzie can be that speed.  a fast back would be nice, but way less important.  a TE2 is a bigger need, and we still need at least one interior lineman.  an OG who can play C would be perf.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Agree. Thinking back on it. I think you go for 2. You need 2 yards to completely ice the game with 13 seconds left

Going for 2 would have kept the teams mind set in an aggressive mode rather than kicking the extra point and trying to hold on

It would have been one damn gutsy call though 👍

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

I could see Bass trying to drop that kickoff inside the 10, so that the Chiefs returner really can't just go right down to save clock, or they start at like the 5 or 7 yard line, which is game over even with the 2 play KC made. If he returns it to the 20 or so 4-5 seconds are going to come off the clock and it's 1st and 10 at the 20-25 with 7-8 seconds left. At that point KC is not getting into FG range in time. 

I think that was the plan, but Bass was a bit too amped up and hit it a touch too hard, sending it into the end zone. 

If the returner busts off a long return, even to the 50, there's going to be like 3-4 seconds left. 

this is where I am with it...

The deep coverage call was a direct result of Hill taking that pass to the house. That is the unicorn of their team and forces you to make a choice - don't lose on a ridiculous Hill highlight TD or torching everyone vs maybe they have a shot at a long FG. If it goes in we give it a go in OT, if they miss we win....

The ballsy call would have been to go for 2 instead of to force them to get a TD, the poison is not making it and having the long FG beat you....

I mean I get it...revisiting the calls do nothing for us at this point. The question is we are right there with them, what do we do to get ahead of them? Defensively Not sure there is much you can do in one offseason with the players we have (drafted for scheme) and cap commitments. Does being more blitzy (risk vs reward) move the needle that? Does playing more man against KC or other high powered offense make sense? Where do you get a Garret, Bosa, Mack, Watt etc from? Upgrading Levi is going to be very difficult. @dave mcbride mentioned the Connor Orr article about the lack of CBs in CFB the other day - they are going to get harder to find and players like Levi will see there market value go up based on the poor supply in the pipeline....

Offensively, get more stout and score on every possession is much easier....

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I was hoping this was going to come with his resignation 

throwing shade here, but also serious... how do you block a poster? its hard enough being here after the loss, but theres like 5 of these dudes i just dont even want their irrational negativity in my forum experience

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

this is where I am with it...

The deep coverage call was a direct result of Hill taking that pass to the house. That is the unicorn of their team and forces you to make a choice - don't lose on a ridiculous Hill highlight TD or torching everyone vs maybe they have a shot at a long FG. If it goes in we give it a go in OT, if they miss we win....

The ballsy call would have been to go for 2 instead of to force them to get a TD, the poison is not making it and having the long FG beat you....

I mean I get it...revisiting the calls do nothing for us at this point. The question is we are right there with them, what do we do to get ahead of them? Defensively Not sure there is much you can do in one offseason with the players we have (drafted for scheme) and cap commitments. Does being more blitzy (risk vs reward) move the needle that? Does playing more man against KC or other high powered offense make sense? Where do you get a Garret, Bosa, Mack, Watt etc from? Upgrading Levi is going to be very difficult. @dave mcbride mentioned the Connor Orr article about the lack of CBs in CFB the other day - they are going to get harder to find and players like Levi will see there market value go up based on the poor supply in the pipeline....

Offensively, get more stout and score on every possession is much easier....

Love this perspective brother.  people yelling "cry over spilt milk," like no... were trying to learn something from the Loss. something i know the staff will be after hard

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

The Offense was unstoppable in the Playoffs, in part, because Josh Allen Unleashed is a viable option when it comes time to do or die.

It's not viable to play him like we did against KC, game in/game out.   

This game needs to be played in Orchard Park next year.  To get there, we need to aim for the 1 seed and win the necessary games needed in the regular season.  

If we want to draft a RD1 CB, I'm good with it.  That makes complete sense, and I believe helps us beat KC.   After that, when it comes to FA and the Draft, unless there's some magic to be made to bring in an elite level pass rusher... for the love of God, give Josh Allen the necessary help for an 18 week Regular Season.  That means the rest of the offseason focus should be on bolstering the OL and more speed on Offense.  

Well said!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Allen, Diggs, Devin, Knox, Moss, Ford, Brown.  

Guess you missed those.  Also missed the fact that teams are built all over the draft, not just first two rounds.  Also missed all the offensive free agent signings.

We have actually addressed offense as much or more than defense.  You just want to cherry pick certain picks while ignoring other draft picks, free agents, and trades.

You are literally factually incorrect.  Not even opinion conversation, there are literally no facts that support your case we have only addressed the defense for 5 years.

What picks were they Einstein ?  Are you telling the Bills should trade every year there First, Second, Third round picks for fourth, Fifth, Six round picks.  Every Other teams GM’s would love you “Yeah you don’t need your  first, second, third round picks give them to us because you have fourth, fifth and a six round”. 

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Chances are almost 100% that Chiefs are going to try to get into FG range, not a TD. So you play normal defense there. Maybe 1 safety way back. 

The big play is really the first one with 13 seconds left. They are going to try to get around 20 yards. Even if they want to throw a hail mary the next play, they are going to want 20-25 yards the first play to set it up. They aren't going deep on play #1. Way too risky and then they're basically screwed if it doesn't work being 75 yards away with like 7 seconds left. 

So you play it like it's 4th and 20. Don't let them get an easy one there. If they go over the top and somehow beat you then they beat you. It's way, way, high risk for them. Like I said, one thing goes wrong for them there and it's 2nd and 10 at their own 25 with 6-7 seconds left. Then what? 

You stop them on 1st down with 13 seconds and you win the game. 

We played like it was 4th and 20 and we were fine with them picking it up. 

The big play was really Hill's TD and the entire D getting torched by him again. I get the call, the following play leaving Kelce that wide open was execution and I'm not sure if the call came into Edmunds to say chip him or not, he easily also could have failed to execute the play call and toss out the reminders...

The toothpaste is out of the tube already, learn from it and move on at this point...

6 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

throwing shade here, but also serious... how do you block a poster? its hard enough being here after the loss, but theres like 5 of these dudes i just dont even want their irrational negativity in my forum experience

Computer:

1) Hover over their screen name.  Popup window will appear.  Choose "ignore user"

2) Click on your screen name.  Choose "ignored users" from the dropdown menu, then "add new user to ignored options".  This is the faster route if you want to add multiple dudes

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

he wants to take the ball out of Allens hands more and turn around and hand it off. {VOMITS}

I'm taking this loss hard also. I'd love to biiitch at McDermott for 60 seconds. But McDermott did not say anything resembling your statement.

The threat of an effective running games makes Allen FAR MORE DANGEROUS. 

Edited by theRalph

10 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Love this perspective brother.  people yelling "cry over spilt milk," like no... were trying to learn something from the Loss. something i know the staff will be after hard

It’s ultimately just a game, but if my takes bothers you so much you can just not read them when you see my name. 

Have a good one bud. 

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It does not help that two of our second round picks on offense Zay Jones and Cody Ford, appear to be busts (and possibly a 3rd round pick on offense in Moss).

Caution on this part, every team has draft busts and you never really know how anyone turns out. You hope for 2-3 starters per draft and some depth

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

Caution on this part, every team has draft busts and you never really know how anyone turns out. You hope for 2-3 starters per draft and some depth

I understand that as well as anyone and better than most, my point is that the fact that two of the high draft picks we did dedicate to offense aren't contributing as hoped, influences the perception of under-investment on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand that as well as anyone and better than most, my point is that the fact that two of the high draft picks we did dedicate to offense aren't contributing as hoped, influences the perception of under-investment on offense.

I'm aware LOL! I didn't want o make that sound like I was pointing that out to you, it was for the other knuckleheads in this thread who would run away with it

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Computer:

1) Hover over their screen name.  Popup window will appear.  Choose "ignore user"

2) Click on your screen name.  Choose "ignored users" from the dropdown menu, then "add new user to ignored options".  This is the faster route if you want to add multiple dudes

Yeah just mad Frazier can’t get away with his bone headed play call.

28 minutes ago, Beast said:

Publicly apologize to the city and fans?

Dude, you have some serious issues. Get help.

I, personally, would like McDermott to do the GoT walk of shame through the city of Buffalo for losing us that game.  

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well he does resemble Scott Norwood a lot. 😔

He's got years of missing routine extra points and FGs to enter Norwood's domain. One of the things I notice when rewatching old games is how lucky they were for every made PAT. 

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I, personally, would like McDermott to do the GoT walk of shame through the city of Buffalo for losing us that game.  

Appropriate considering the last 13 seconds of this game was like being denied Margaery Tyrell's walk.  

Edited by benderbender

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ever managed a team of people? 

yup every day

I have been a plant manager for 7 years now and have had a manager title with people under me for 21 years who is very well versed in Toyota Manufacturing and Business processes

And your point it what exactly? That he can only be focused on the defense and just let special teams be on the most important kick off of the year? You really don't think he was involved in that situation and just let it be? No direction or communication with the STs whatsoever? But yet, as he has said: "This is Leslie's defense", and he micromanaged the hell out of that?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

It would have been one damn gutsy call though 👍

Yes, going for 2 and not making it would have SEEMED terrible, but think about it for a second.  Let's say that we were 2 pts ahead in the last 13 seconds, doesn't it seem logical that we would have played tighter at the end, thinking that by allowing that yardage would result in a LOSS rather than a tie.

Sure, a tie is a bummer but better than an immediate loss!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

Totally agree with this.  I wish fans on this board would follow the example of that 25 year old QB.  In his interviews with the press, not once did he point the finger at anyone.  In fact, he said even had things played out differently in those last 13 seconds and in OT, that would not have guaranteed a Bills win.  They are learning from this and moving on.  That is called emotional intelligence.  That is another reason why this QB is as great as he is.

2.5 days in, let me be as objective as possible. 

We are not Josh Allen and there is a reason why the word fan is a diminutive. The ‘13 seconds’ is ALL on the Head Coach to defend the wunderkind performance of his young Superstar QB! 

He failed miserably, both in the Squib Kick option and the setting of the Defense to prevent that FG. The ONLY goal in these efforts is to preserve victory, through the elimination of a very scarce commodity- TIME! Thus, with that small amount left in the game, you must, must eliminate 6-7 seconds through a squib kick, even if the return man gets to the 35 or 40. That leaves ONE and only one attempt to get 30-40 more yards. For that play, you must hold, disrupt, etc. both Kelce & Hill for another 5 seconds.

Which leaves KC with one Hail Mary attempt from the 50 assuming a Holding Penalty call!

So, it is more than reasonable for angry fanatics to demand that their HC explain, why those things weren’t accomplished, let alone, apparently not even thought of! 

Full disclosure:

I am one who normally thinks that Prosecutors & Investigators of major crimes should never disclose the hidden details of how they reached their successful guilty goal. 

Likewise, if in Pro Sports, a HC or Manager has an advantage, insight, detail as to why success occurred, he/ she is a fool to disclose it. 

HOWEVER, the only down side to McD telling his version of what he planned and executed, would be to disclose that he wanted to Squib Kick for future, similar, situations. And after a Billsy Millennium of total FUBARs and hell, he should of.

NOT to throw anyone under the Bus, just to confirm that he knows the correct strategies and that those will be rectified in the future.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

yup every day

I have been a plant manager for 7 years now and have had a manager title with people under me for 21 years who is very well versed in Toyota Manufacturing and Business processes

Thoughts on the Toyota Supra? I am approaching midlife crisis. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Alpha, this has been discussed here.  @BADOLBILZ posted some analysis on it, I posted some analysis on it.  And there are different ways of looking at it.

-If you want to look at draft pick investment, you can look at (say) picks in the top 3 rounds since 2018 and say it's roughly equal between offense and defense.  6 picks on defense, 7 on offense.  If you want to go back to 2017, 7 picks on defense, 9 picks on offense (These are both counting the trade for Diggs as a 1st round pick)

-Another way to look at it though, is that we have 1 (or 2, counting Diggs trade) first round pick on Offense.  We have 3 on Defense.  Then if you look at FA acquisition, we have signed an additional 3 former first round picks on D - and Zero former first round picks on O

It's certainly incorrect that "we have ONLY addressed the defense for 5 years" .

But I think it's a fair POV that we have WEIGHTED our investment, through FA acquisitions and top draft picks, towards defense the last 5 years

It does not help that two of our second round picks on offense Zay Jones and Cody Ford, appear to be busts (and possibly a 3rd round pick on offense in Moss).

See now this is a fair assessment, good post.  I do have a few counter points that need to be considered though:

1. We have invested more picks on offense than you guys have tallied.  We used multiple picks on Allen, Diggs, Ford, and Knox to trade up get all of those players.  Those have to be accounted for as part of the investment into the offense, especially since some of them were premium picks. 
  2. Fans still over emphasize the first 2 rounds.  Rosters and championship teams are built through out the draft.  The OP I objected to seems to only count the first 2 rounds as how we address positions.  Yet our day 3 selected players in Davis, Singletary, Knox, Brown, Milano, etc have all been vital parts of our team and some of our best players this year.  
  3. We have hit bigger on key offensive additions, meaning less holes to fill, in both the draft and free agency signings.  Allen and Diggs are grand slam additions.  Cole Beasley was a tremendous FA grab.  When you hit on your first try with some of the best at their respective positions, it means less needs to be addressed.  

So for me, I think it can be argued we have invested more into the offense in terms of draft picks when you factor in the cost to move up and get some of those guys, and there has been a balance of building and addressing needs on both sides of the ball. 

End of the day, some people like the OP I think are just still salty we went DE back to back last year, because there are not real merits to his actual claims that we have prioritized the defense for 5 years.  I mean we are also the top offense in the league over the last 2 years, that didn't just magically appear.  Again, those comments not directed to you at all, but back at the OP I responded to.  Your post was a fair and well composed counter point.  

20 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

yup every day

And your point it what exactly? That he can only be focused on the defense and just let special teams be on the most important kick off of the year? You really don't think he was involved in that situation and just let it be? No direction or communication with the STs whatsoever? But yet, as he has said: "This is Leslie's defense", and he micromanaged the hell out of that?

Then, surely you have had something come up that was a pressing matter and you had to trust your subordinates to run things while your attention was one a priority matter, correct? You would assume they would run things they way you have it in your mind but they have different ideas

All I'm saying is it happens. Focusing on the defense and trusting his ST coaches knew what to do is very plausable.

1 hour ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

What picks were they Einstein ?  Are you telling the Bills should trade every year there First, Second, Third round picks for fourth, Fifth, Six round picks.  Every Other teams GM’s would love you “Yeah you don’t need your  first, second, third round picks give them to us because you have fourth, fifth and a six round”. 

The fact you think only the first 2 rounds matter tells me I don't even need to discuss football with you again.  Especially on a team that has Milano, Knox, Davis, Singletary, Levi, Brown, etc on it all playing vital and impactful roles who did not come here the way of the first 2 picks.  Literally you have not said one factual or relevant thing in this discussion...just whining about a handful of early picks in the draft as if that is the only thing that matters to building a team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.