THIS is the team we thought we had

Ray Stonada

As we all know, all season long there was a strange sense of malaise around the Bills, all the way back to the home opener. Even when Buffalo was blowing out the Texans or Saints or other bottom dwellers, it felt not quite in sync. Sputtering. Well, last night was the most IN SYNC game I have ever seen any football team. It was a dream come true and I hope I don't wake up.

Very possibly the greatest offensive performance in NFL history? YES.

Massive and biggest credit to the players, who came together and have dominated since halftime in Tampa. But I think a lot of credit goes to the coaches, who made tons of wise adjustments: Featuring Singletary and not giving Moss equal touches. Fixing the O line by starting Bates and using the heavy formations with Doyle. Getting Gabe Davis more involved. Getting McKenzie involved on jet sweeps and passes. Compensating very well for Tre being out. Micah and Jordan stepping it UP. 13 sacks in the last two games with our waves of D-linemen. Edmunds tackling better and better. And maybe best of all, VERY few penalties and mental mistakes.

I am so impressed with the players for sticking through all the tough sledding and staying together. And this staff for seeing the adjustments and making them, and letting the team grow into its best self. Buffalo has taken the hard choices this season to develop the team and it feels like they will be very tough to stop now.

Just seeing all this growth, together with this legendary game last night, means this season will always be us as a bright spot.

THIS is the team many of us thought the Bills could be. 

It just feels so good to finally seem them be it, and even better!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you only expect this team to show up, well, watch the replay ha ha. EVERYTHING went right. It was insane.

Still, this team on Jan 15th could have beat any current or past in the NFL. They were THAT good.

What is exciting is that all the players are clicking. Not to beat a dead horse ha ha, but even Edmunds plays well, the OL opens up hole like never before in the run game, plus all the others that performed well still are. If they do it 3 more games, SUPERBOWL BABY

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ray Stonada said:

As we all know, all season long there was a strange sense of malaise around the Bills, all the way back to the home opener. Even when Buffalo was blowing out the Texans or Saints or other bottom dwellers, it felt not quite in sync. Sputtering. Well, last night was the most IN SYNC game I have ever seen any football team. It was a dream come true and I hope I don't wake up.

Very possibly the greatest offensive performance in NFL history? YES.

Massive and biggest credit to the players, who came together and have dominated since halftime in Tampa. But I think a lot of credit goes to the coaches, who made tons of wise adjustments: Featuring Singletary and not giving Moss equal touches. Fixing the O line by starting Bates and using the heavy formations with Doyle. Getting Gabe Davis more involved. Getting McKenzie involved on jet sweeps and passes. Compensating very well for Tre being out. Micah and Jordan stepping it UP. 13 sacks in the last two games with our waves of D-linemen. Edmunds tackling better and better. And maybe best of all, VERY few penalties and mental mistakes.

I am so impressed with the players for sticking through all the tough sledding and staying together. And this staff for seeing the adjustments and making them, and letting the team grow into its best self. Buffalo has taken the hard choices this season to develop the team and it feels like they will be very tough to stop now.

Just seeing all this growth, together with this legendary game last night, means this season will always be us as a bright spot.

THIS is the team many of us thought the Bills could be. 

It just feels so good to finally seem them be it, and even better!

isnt it great too to be peaking now? 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

It was committing to establishing a running game imo

The play of the O line has been the biggest awakening.  In pass protection and especially in establishing a physicality in our run blocking.  Do I dare say that Ryan Bates has been the catalyst this offense needed to bring a physical presence.  Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To all the naysayers....the conspiracy minded folks (hint those tin foil nut jobs saying the game was fixed yesterday due to the interviews of Daboll and Frasier, yeah those clowns).....the marroons who crowed about this player sux or that player sux, this coach sux or that coach sux........all y'alls can sux it!!!

What an awesome display of talent and coaching we witnessed last nite,

GO BILLS!!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It's great to have a team that can just go out there & say, "we're going to win this," and then just execute.

For so many years, we needed to get the breaks, or have something lucky happen to get the W in a bigger game.  We're the other team now.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

The play of the O line has been the biggest awakening.  In pass protection and especially in establishing a physicality in our run blocking.  Do I dare say that Ryan Bates has been the catalyst this offense needed to bring a physical presence.  Go Bills!!

It could be a combination of both. With an increased threat of running game, it helps that the DL can't just pin their ears back every play.  Also play action stuff. OL has def stepped it up also. 

• Like (+1) 1

As the saying goes, you want to be playing your best football late in the year. 

New England peaked pretty early, around week 7 through week 13.  Then they hit a wall, and some better teams of course.

Buffalo had their troubles, a mixed bag between weeks 6 - 14.  Started playing better in the December 19th game and are playing their very best football now. It’s great to see and bodes well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Although Bates has played a nice part I do also think that the O-line getting some continuity has been more impactful than anything else. The O-line to start the season was Dawkins at LT, Ford and Mongo at the guard positions, Mitch at center and D.Williams at RT. That is completely different than the line now. D.Williams is in guard and two new players in Spencer Brown and Bates are along the line. 

Also throughout the season various injuries such as Spencer Brown pulling his back and getting Covid, Mongo getting hurt, Dawkins got Covid, and Ike Bot getting hurt and Ford being pushed in and out of the lineup just never got the team any sense of continuity along the O-line. D.Williams started the season at RT kicked inside to guard then back out to RT and then now is back at guard. This is just one player moving around the line constantly throughout the season. LG has been a revolving door all season. 

Bates solidifying the LG spot with competent play has been tremendously helpful. But the line simply having a few games together with continuity has been in my opinion as big of a factor to the units improved play. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think 🤔 am overstating this at all. That game I watched last night was the best game I have ever watched or played in my life. In all sports. 

Saturday the Bills were Perfection. And like other said I don’t think will he duplicated for a long time if ever. They were perfect and I was glad I witnessed it. 

best sporting even (in all sports) I have ever watched. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Taro Nimbus said:

This was a one in a million type game. You won’t see anything like that in a long time, if not ever again.   Everything was going right for the Bills.  Let’s just hope the Bills can continue to play well going forward.   

You are right but honestly I wouldn’t be shocked to see them nearly duplicate this performance again. Josh Allen is this good.

I mean I sort felt the way the offense played a few weeks ago at New England was a once in million type game with the first no punt game against a Belicheck defense. Then they did it again just a few weeks later.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Taro Nimbus said:

This was a one in a million type game. You won’t see anything like that in a long time, if not ever again.   Everything was going right for the Bills.  Let’s just hope the Bills can continue to play well going forward.   

Yeah, but wasn't it pretty much the same as the last game against the Pats? Sure, we didn't get every bounce in that game, if that's what you mean, but the Bills played lights out like in this one. They dominated, which is SO nice to see after all those games (e.g., Dolphins, Washington) where they let teams hang around. I'm so greedy now. I want them to crush KC, crush the Titans and crush GB or whoever makes it from the NFC. Not sure if that's even unrealistic. 

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I don’t think 🤔 am overstating this at all. That take I watched last night was the best game I have ever watched or played in my life. In all sports. M

Saturday the Bills were Perfection. And like other said I don’t think will he duplicated for a long time if ever. They were perfect and I was glad I witnessed it. 

best sporting even (in all sports) I have ever watched. 

Something about the flawless offensive production needs to be displayed in the Hall of Fame. It’s never been done, and in a playoff game no less. Against Belichek is the cherry on top.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Something about the flawless offensive production needs to be displayed in the Hall of Fame. It’s never been done, and in a playoff game no less. Against Belichek is the cherry on top.

Don't worry... When Josh Allen makes it to the Hall, this game will be talked about...

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's a double edged sword.

We've seen how good they can be, yet this same team failed to score a TD against Jacksonville, which cost them home field in the playoffs SMH.

Their goal this year was to get home field, they failed, and it may cost them a chance at a Championship.

8 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You are right but honestly I wouldn’t be shocked to see them nearly duplicate this performance again. Josh Allen is this good.

I mean I sort felt the way the offense played a few weeks ago at New England was a once in million type game with the first no punt game against a Belicheck defense. Then they did it again just a few weeks later.

No way. Let’s remember that the Pats* are not very good. Bills wouldn’t be able to do that to any of the remaining teams. 

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

We've seen how good they can be, yet this same team failed to score a TD against Jacksonville, which cost them home field in the playoffs SMH.

Their goal this year was to get home field, they failed, and it may cost them a chance at a Championship.

Bills play well on the road. Beat KC and bring the AFCCG to Buffalo vs the Bengals. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I think it’s time to move past the Jacksonville game we are now in the playoffs it’s time to move forward Every single good team this year has dropped a game to a team that they shouldn’t have

• Like (+1) 1

I think that the team was pacing itself and it was intentional by the coaches. They know it's a long season. And in 2019 and 2020 the team was beat up and burnt out going into the playoffs. They've been doing load management all year. Sure, trying and hoping to win enough games for home field, but treating the regular season as much like preseason as the crucible it is...  with the eye on peaking in the playoffs instead of tearing it up in season and then slogging our way through the playoffs like last year.

Examples: Fan/media take was, why are they running vanilla run plays, splitting carries, and not rushing often. Coaches plan? Devin clearly the better back but let's not wear him out. Let's not get pigeon holed into our best running game early in the season and wear it out.  Let's work on / develop the pass game early in the season with our depth at receiver.

Fan/media take: Why is Sanders getting so many targets, Diggs not being the primary go to guy, and Davis and McKenzie barely even utilized?  Coaches plan? Let's get Allen comfortable with Sanders. Let's work on some passing concepts that we haven't excelled at in the last couple years and let's not show our complete, best passing offense until the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What’s the difference in our teams from mid season to now?

biggest difference :  OL, No feliciano/Ford/Ike, OL scheme and using 6 OL.  Adding that wrinkle of the extra OL has been huge for us.  

2nd biggest difference:  Harrison Phillips.  His play has coincided with our D becoming almost an impenetrable wall. He’s earned a 2nd contract. Minus Epenesa, our DL is extremely consistent with staying in their lanes.  Getting push in the pass rush, but keeping the gap integrity. They’ve been better than I can remember at keeping the QB in the pocket.  I didn’t mention Ed, because I he’s been good all year.  What a stud he’s turning out to be.

Motors improvement has been insane.

Poyer and Hyde = the backbone of the team.  Number 1 pass D by a large margin…..with Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson as the outside corners for half the season. No offense to those kids, who are playing great football, but P&H make it all happen 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.