Saturday Night 1/15 Weather Thread

Rubes

I'm only worried about my mom's ability to deal with the cold. She'll be 70 this spring and has never LOVED the cold. We got seasons for the first time this year, as she is the primary reason I'm afflicted with Bills fanaticism. 

This past game against the Jets was a decent training camp for this week's cold. The lack of wind will be VERY helpful. 

4 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I'm only worried about my mom's ability to deal with the cold. She'll be 70 this spring and has never LOVED the cold. We got seasons for the first time this year, as she is the primary reason I'm afflicted with Bills fanaticism. 

This past game against the Jets was a decent training camp for this week's cold. The lack of wind will be VERY helpful. 

aside from feet, hands and head/neck, if she's gonna sit have a nice cushion and gotta have a stadium blanket across her lap, she'll be toasty.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Most likely will be the second coldest game in Bills history with temps in the single digits and a predicted low of 4 for Saturday night. Temps likely somewhere around 7 or 8 degrees at kickoff.

Coldest game was against the Raiders with a temp of 0 during the 1993 AFC Divisional Game which they won to send the Bills to their 4th straight AFC Championship Game. I was at that game against the Chiefs the next week...it was cold but not that cold.

I went to both those games. The usual two pairs of everything, foot warmers and thermos of spiked hot coffee. I remember Kelly threw a short out to Brooks four or five times and set them up for the touchdown on the out and up. And the KC game, where Bruce knocked out Montana, and Thurman went for 186 and 3 TDs. Lifetime great memory.

Passing game had to be simplified and quicker with that rock hard ball.

I don’t remember feeling cold at either although I’m sure we were. 

No one ever mentioned the need for a dome… 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

There is no such thing as lack of wind in Buffalo in the winter...only days that aren't quite as windy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BubbaT said:

1993 Raiders playoff game. -26 wind chill. Coldest game I’ve ever been to. It was like watching football in a meat locker. Remember Tasker had a big game but was so bundled and numb barely remember the rest of it, highlights:

https://youtu.be/uVxPis9_lGE

Thanks for posting this. These games sometimes blur together, important to see how the ball behaves in the cold. There were a lot of miscues in that game! A lot of screens too!

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1

The forecast for Sat eve keeps getting colder and colder. Sheesh!  But on the plus side, the wind is now from the SSE at only 5-9 mph.  That's very calm.

Green Bay played Minnesota in 5 degrees just recently.  Rodgers was 29 for 38, 288 yds and 2 TDs.  Guys have to step up, catch and secure the ball in those conditions.  If the Bills can contain the NE running game, we can control this game.  Bills are the better throwing team and wind won't be an issue. 

1 minute ago, Rockpile233 said:

It’s so funny Saturday’s high of 8 stands out like a sore thumb on the weather app. Funny that Sunday actually looks nice for once, go figure.

Sunday is perfect. Just the way this season has gone. 

The football gods are trying ... But it doesn't seem like the knuckleheads negotiating the stadium are going to budge on a dome.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Process said:

Sunday is perfect. Just the way this season has gone. 

The football gods are trying ... But it doesn't seem like the knuckleheads negotiating the stadium are going to budge on a dome.

What's even more funny is that it's been the reverse all season, with great Saturdays giving way to crappy Sundays.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The forecast for Sat eve keeps getting colder and colder. Sheesh!  But on the plus side, the wind is now from the SSE at only 5-9 mph.  That's very calm.

Green Bay played Minnesota in 5 degrees just recently.  Rodgers was 29 for 38, 288 yds and 2 TDs.  Guys have to step up, catch and secure the ball in those conditions.  If the Bills can contain the NE running game, we can control this game.  Bills are the better throwing team and wind won't be an issue. 

IMO that speaks more about the Packer's receivers then Rogers.  When it's that cold and the wind is calm catching the ball is a bigger issue then throwing it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The cold won't affect us IMO.  It's the wind and precipitation which none is expected Saturday.

Mac Jones I think will struggle in this cold.

Are you in Buffalo? It's 6 degrees right now. Go stand outside for 30 minutes and then try to throw and catch a football. 

I do think it's an advantage for Buffalo, noodle arm has no chance. But it will definitely affect us, especially the way Josh throws it. 

5 minutes ago, Process said:

Are you in Buffalo? It's 6 degrees right now. Go stand outside for 30 minutes and then try to throw and catch a football. 

I do think it's an advantage for Buffalo, noodle arm has no chance. But it will definitely affect us, especially the way Josh throws it. 

I grew up in the north, I know cold weather.  I spent most of my childhood in Minnesota where single digits were the norm.

It's tougher, yes but Allen will handle it better than Jones.  The field turf will be fine and that's the most important aspect.

Of course if I stand still for 30 minutes I'll be cold.  I'm not an NFL football player with adrenaline and playing a game where you can warm yourself up.

NE will be completely one dimensional, we won't.  I see us going over the top on NE....they'll be playing up and we can burn them.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What's even more funny is that it's been the reverse all season, with great Saturdays giving way to crappy Sundays.

i'm going to take it a step further and say it gets even worse at game time than it had been all day on those sundays.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Can you carry blankets in to sit on?

Haven’t been to a game this extremely cold since the 90’s when you could basically carry anything you wanted in ha.

Additional clothing and blankets (must be carried loosely)

Directly from the Bills site.

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

Additional clothing and blankets (must be carried loosely)

Directly from the Bills site.

Can they be in the clear plastic bag?  or do they have to be carried in (I'd rather just carry it in but I don't want security tossing it out)

28 minutes ago, driddles said:

Can they be in the clear plastic bag?  or do they have to be carried in (I'd rather just carry it in but I don't want security tossing it out)

The website just says they must be carried loosely. I don't think you need to worry about security tossing it unless you plan to bring a king size comforter to the game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

The website just says they must be carried loosely. I don't think you need to worry about security tossing it unless you plan to bring a king size comforter to the game.

I saw a bunch of blankets at the Atlanta game. People just brought them in draped over their neck & shoulders.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Can you carry blankets in to sit on?

Haven’t been to a game this extremely cold since the 90’s when you could basically carry anything you wanted in ha.

I wear a kilt made out of fleece so I actually WEAR my sittin blanket. You guys are playing checkers and im playing monopoly 

• Haha (+1) 1

Weather Channel has it at 3 degrees for game time and 0 by 11pm.  

Is the lake frozen over?  Lake Erie is supposed to do it's job and keep the immediate area slightly warmer, while further inland is colder.  That doesn't sound like the case for Sat night.  

Just now, zow2 said:

Is the lake frozen over?  Lake Erie is supposed to do it's job and keep the immediate area slightly warmer, while further inland is colder.  That doesn't sound like the case for Sat night.  

Yeah it keeps dropping...now showing 7 for the high and -2 for the low.

29 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The lake is not frozen, but the only way that helps keep the temps up near the shore is if there is a breeze. Bit of a catch-22.

21 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

What are the rules for lighting fires in the official parking lots?

Our group is planning to tailgate, but we're going to need heat. 

Can you burn wood in a bbq, barrel, or even on the ground?

i usually just burn in my large ring down in the gravel lots. but i've had a couple of ragers in trash cans up there in the stadium lots. maybe 6 or 7 years ago though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.