Leslie Frazier & the Bears

YoloinOhio

Just talked to a guy i know who is pretty looped in with Chicago sports and has a few connections) and he believes from recent reports/discussions that dungy is going to be hired as Director of Football Ops, Louis Riddick as GM, and Leslie Frazier as HC. He isn’t 100% convinced they get rid of Ryan pace but that he may get put in a different role. I could see this happening and frazier could hire an OC (Jim Caldwell, who he worked with in Indy?) to take care of that side. I like the fit for him and I think the bears fan base would love it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Just talked to a guy i know who is pretty looped in with Chicago sports and has a few connections) and he believes from recent reports/discussions that dungy is going to be hired as Director of Football Ops, Louis Riddick as GM, and Leslie Frazier as HC. He isn’t 100% convinced they get rid of Ryan pace but that he may get put in a different role. I could see this happening and frazier could hire an OC to take care of that side. I like the fit for him and I think the bears fan base would love it. 

Maybe he'll bring Trubisky with him. That would be ironic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 20
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Just talked to a guy i know who is pretty looped in with Chicago sports and has a few connections) and he believes from recent reports/discussions that dungy is going to be hired as Director of Football Ops, Louis Riddick as GM, and Leslie Frazier as HC. He isn’t 100% convinced they get rid of Ryan pace but that he may get put in a different role. I could see this happening and frazier could hire an OC (Jim Caldwell, who he worked with in Indy?) to take care of that side. I like the fit for him and I think the bears fan base would love it. 

Makes a ton of sense, actually.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That sounds like the radical type change that is needed with the franchise. Excellent football guys.

I saw someone else talk about Ken Dorsey being connected to Frazier as well - I could see them want to get him as QB coach for Fields (or OC)

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

That sounds like the radical type change that is needed with the franchise. Excellent football guys.

Yeah they do not have a football person in between 100 year old Virginia mcCaskey and Ryan Pace. That needs to change. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I saw someone else talk about Ken Dorsey being connected to Frazier as well - I could see them want to get him as QB coach for Fields (or OC)

Dont think he'd move laterally. He's in line to take over as OC if/when Daboll leaves so they'd have to offer him OC of the Bears in which case i would be very upset. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ray Stonada said:

Sounds great for Leslie, but tough for us. His Bills defense is as good as it gets with these pass friendly rules.

The Bears team he started on was one of the two best defenses I’ve ever watched (other being Baltimore 2000), too. 

We do play them next year and he knows everything there is to know about our team, which would suck. I still think they are rebuilding on offense and we should win but The bears have a good defense now as it is and will be getting Mack back as well. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Frostbite said:

Dont think he'd move laterally. He's in line to take over as OC if/when Daboll leaves so they'd have to offer him OC of the Bears in which case i would be very upset. 

Bring in Jordan Palmer as a full-time QB coach? I don’t think he takes it, but the results he has produced with Josh speak for themselves.

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

Bring in Jordan Palmer as a full-time QB coach? I don’t think he takes it, but the results he has produced with Josh speak for themselves.

Would love it. He's got such a cushy job though. No doubt he works hard but makes his own hours and not a lot of pressure. Cant say I'd move on from that.

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I think if Dorsey leaves (or if Daboll leaves and Dorsey to OC), Shea Tierney may be elevated to QB coach. He’s the assistant now. That is if he doesn’t follow Daboll. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

We do play them next year and he knows everything there is to know about our team, which would suck. I still think they are rebuilding on offense and we should win but The bears have a good defense now as it is and will be getting Mack back as well. 

Yep. However, I guess as Hoodie would say, in the end it’s the players making plays, coaches and game plans notwithstanding.

Mack is the Buffalonian I would most love to see on the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

Dungy is 66 and has a cushy job that pays well. Not really seeing the upside for him unless he is sick of TV and wants to get back in the grind. 

If money talks his current position is silent compared to what would essentially be top football guy for an NFL franchise.

Dungy, Riddick and Frazier is a really nice setup for the Bears, and I would happily root for their success, except when they play us, of course!

But it would be cool to see Chicago good again, just because they are a classic franchise. Also, Frazier and Dungy are amazing people who are easy to root for. 

With Rodgers inexplicably trying to get off that loaded roster in Green Bay, it could be their division for the taking. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Dungy is 66 and has a cushy job that pays well. Not really seeing the upside for him unless he is sick of TV and wants to get back in the grind. 

Reminds me of all the rumors you would here about Cowher coming back to coaching. Yet nothing comes of it. He gets paid millions to sit in the studio watch and talk football all day. Same for Dungy. As a bonus when football season is over they are free to do whatever they want instead of focusing on improving the team in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Where are the results for Sam Darnold?

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Would be a really tough sell/high risk to re-build your team with three 65-year old retreads at critical positions. The NFL seems to be trending to younger and more innovative coaches. But who knows? The Texans went out and hired David Culley last year. 

Riddick is in his early 50s and neither Riddick nor Dungy are "retreads" and it would be an all-minority leadership team in the jewel of the NFL's old franchises.  What are you talking about?

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Would be a really tough sell/high risk to re-build your team with three 65-year old retreads at critical positions. The NFL seems to be trending to younger and more innovative coaches. But who knows? The Texans went out and hired David Culley last year. 

Riddick (not a retread) is 52 and Frazier is 62

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Leslie Frazier & the Bears
2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Frazier would probably hire the coach in waiting where he could learn the ins and outs of how to do things properly and take over in a few years

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The advantage for Chicago is that if this is the direction they want to go they can just make the hires without a long interview process. 

They could fire Nagy and announce these hires the next day. 

Frazier still works for the Bills. How would that work?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Frazier still works for the Bills. How would that work?

Well, I guess they would technically interview him but there wouldn't need to be a long process where they bring in a bunch of candidates IF there is already a plan in place. 

My point was that if all these guys know each other and want to do this, then an interview in the formal sense is fairly pointless. Frazier's career is the interview, and if the fit is right for all involved it's just a waste of time to bring in whoever serves coffee to Sean McVay and whoever is an assistant with the Bengals just for appearances or whatever. 

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

Well, I guess they would technically interview him but there wouldn't need to be a long process where they bring in a bunch of candidates IF there is already a plan in place. 

My point was that if all these guys know each other and want to do this, then an interview in the formal sense is fairly pointless. Frazier's career is the interview, and if the fit is right for all involved it's just a waste of time to bring in whoever serves coffee to Sean McVay and whoever is an assistant with the Bengals just for appearances or whatever. 

They would be foolish to not interview more candidates. If Frazier gets interviewed by another team and decides to go there, their plans are meaningless.

It's always best to do your due diligence and come up with contingency plans just in case it doesn't work out.

• Agree 1

Just now, MJS said:

They would be foolish to not interview more candidates. If Frazier gets interviewed by another team and decides to go there, their plans are meaningless.

It's always best to do your due diligence and come up with contingency plans just in case it doesn't work out.

Normally I would agree, but you don't have a plan (and this is all assuming the report is true and going down that road) to bring in Dungy and Riddick and Frazier and mess around. If you set this up behind the scenes then these guys are a package deal and probably only agree to do it as a group. Before anything truly happened all 3 would be on board. Dungy would probably only do it with his #1 pick of GM and HC. They don't come, he doesn't come. 

You see if this is a viable option first. If it is, the process is over and you call a presser. Why would you screw around interviewing a bunch of Bengals, Packers and Rams coaches? 

If it isn't THEN you interview from scratch and understand that none of the above is happening. 

don't see it but anything is possible.  

the bears are in the market for a coach to develop their rookie QB justin fields.  

a smart organization would look at the record of all rebound head coaches, those that went from coordinator to head coach and back to coordinator.  the record of coaches getting another shot is not good.  then again the bears are not a very football smart organization.

Just now, jethro_tull said:

don't see it but anything is possible.  

the bears are in the market for a coach to develop their rookie QB justin fields.  

a smart organization would look at the record of all rebound head coaches, those that went from coordinator to head coach and back to coordinator.  the record of coaches getting another shot is not good.  then again the bears are not a very football smart organization.

Yes but that doesn’t need to be the HC. See Sean McDermott/Josh Allen

i don’t know if this all ends up happening but I do think they can develop fields without bringing in another offensive focused, QB coach as HC like they just did with Nagy and it failed. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Riddick (not a retread) is 52 and Frazier is 62

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Riddick is in his early 50s and neither Riddick nor Dungy are "retreads" and it would be an all-minority leadership team in the jewel of the NFL's old franchises.  What are you talking about?

yeah, I suppose riddick isn’t a retread. But dungy and Frazier are— and both in their 60s. Dungy a retread in the same sense as Marv was— coming out of a long retirement at an older age.

but don’t shoot the messenger. I am not saying that I personally believe this to be a bad idea. But obviously the league is going more in the 30-year old upstart HC direction. I just find it unlikely for the bears to buck that trend, and hire riddick and a couple of 60-year olds to run their team. 

If I had to guess, they will go with a younger offensive coordinator type as the HC. 

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Louis Riddick as GM?

What in the pickles tarnation does he know about being a GM? I mean, I guess he was a scout for a short time, like 10 years ago

If I was Leslie, i’d be concerned about that.

He was the director of player personnel in Washington and Philadelphia. He’s been a GM candidate for a few years now. 

• Like (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

yeah, I suppose riddick isn’t a retread. But dungy and Frazier are— and both in their 60s. Dungy a retread in the same sense as Marv was— coming out of a long retirement at an older age.

but don’t shoot the messenger. I am not saying that I personally believe this to be a bad idea. But obviously the league is going more in the 30-year old upstart HC direction. I just find it unlikely for the bears to buck that trend, and hire riddick and a couple of 60-year olds to run their team. 

If I had to guess, they will go with a younger offensive coordinator type as the HC. 

Think about the Bears' fan base though: the Bears have for decades been a defense-first team, and a former excellent Bears player on one of the greatest defenses of all time who just DC'ed the number one yardage and #2 points allowed unit in the NFL (the 2021 Bills) would seem to me be a relatively easy sell. 

Interestingly, after a great 1985 season, his career ended because of a major knee suffered while returning a punt in that 46-10 rout of the Pats in the Super Bowl. He never played again.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.