Can we finally put the need for a dome stadium to rest?

Bubba Gump

10 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Some days you want the open air and natural light, the feel of an authentic outdoor football game.

In my view there is almost nothing worse than having a beautiful weather day for football and having to go inside a dome.  It kills the vibe for me.

I have historically been anti-dome for similar reasons. Traditional domes feel like a crypt.

In the modern era, domes are not like this. There is so much natural light that you feel like you are outside.

Examples: 

New_stadium_field.0.jpg

1599673388351.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nothing against the OP’ but nah!  Don’t put the stadium topic to rest.  There are some really good opinions on both sides of the topic in this forum.  It’s a good read; and our fan hood is being mostly civil on this one.

I think it was 11 years ago when my then 8 year old raced a hare scramble at Greek Peak, during Hurricane Irene.  First time I ever saw it rain sideways.  The tough guys raced and pitted their riders.  The wimps stayed in their RV’s, or went home.

HS are the toughest sport in America.  It’s a two or three hour race, with no breaks, no commercials, no switching of the field, no time outs, in hell or high water, regardless of weather.  Although I do love the sport of football, the players are prima donnas and they need to play in the elements.

lou.

18 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

There have been 52 total Super bowls to date. And only three times has a dome team one. SB 34 with the Rams, SB41 with the Colts and SB 44 with the Saints. Needing a dome to have a championship team is a total farce. Domes are for people who cant handle a little weather now and then. I had a blast at the game today. It's minus 5 in Green Bay right now in a sold out Lambeau. Buffalo is getting soft.

He aren’t getting soft! We have to hear from our family members whom have all moved to sunny warm places that constantly tell us how good the weather is. We envy the warmth.

Home field advantage in the cold and snow and wind….. just to make the Super Bowl and forced to play in a dome or sunny weather in the south.

Im for a dome for more reasons than just football weather…..

Not so much a dome vs open air stadium with a roof

Edited by CEN-CAL17

19 hours ago, hmsmystic said:

I think it's a moot point in any case-

-Dome stadiums are considerably more expensive to build (and likely maintain) than open air

-Buffalo is going to struggle to fund any new stadium

In short- Bills couldn't afford a new domed stadium

The NFL has enough money to build a new stadium for every team

20 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

There have been 52 total Super bowls to date. And only three times has a dome team one. SB 34 with the Rams, SB41 with the Colts and SB 44 with the Saints. Needing a dome to have a championship team is a total farce. Domes are for people who cant handle a little weather now and then. I had a blast at the game today. It's minus 5 in Green Bay right now in a sold out Lambeau. Buffalo is getting soft.

Sunday showed the Bills need a dome.

The only people who don't think this team needs a dome are people who aren't smart enough realize it... so they don't matter anyway.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, QCity said:

Yes, let's put 10+ft of lake-effect snow on a glass roof. What could go wrong?

Are you joking or don't realize in 2022 that they have ways around that... also last time the Bills had that much snow they had to move the game to Detroit on a Tuesday...

Thanks for providing more facts for needing a dome.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

I've said this in every recent stadium thread, and I'm not trying to sound like a broken record, but it seems many still aren't aware of this:

An AP story by John Wawrow indicated that the plan for the new stadium is for it to be constructed in such a way that the stands are mostly protected from the elements, and the wind level on the field is reduced. 

Seattle's stadium is a great example of this. I've attended a game there, and the way it's constructed made it WAY less cold and windy in the stands than it was outside the stadium.

This won't completely eliminate the effects of bad weather, but it will make a big difference for the fan experience and the amount that wind affects the game. To me, this is the best of both worlds. Football is meant to be played outdoors, and nothing beats the atmosphere of a beautiful fall day -- or even a cold winter day -- in Orchard Park. So no, there won't be a dome, but yes, there will be weather protection.

tldx20ompmg1lbzoavkp

19060-seattle-seahawks-chip-suttles-hero

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I've said this in every recent stadium thread, and I'm not trying to sound like a broken record, but it seems many still aren't aware of this:

An AP story by John Wawrow indicated that the plan for the new stadium is for it to be constructed in such a way that the stands are mostly protected from the elements, and the wind level on the field is reduced. 

Seattle's stadium is a great example of this. I've attended a game there, and the way it's constructed made it WAY less cold and windy and the stands than it was outside the stadium.

This won't completely eliminate the effects of bad weather, but it will make a big difference for the fan experience and the amount that wind affects the game.

tldx20ompmg1lbzoavkp

Amen, but it won't do any good. Some people think we're building a replica of the current stadium across the street or something.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Seattle's stadium is a great example of this. I've attended a game there, and the way it's constructed made it WAY less cold and windy in the stands than it was outside the stadium.

This won't completely eliminate the effects of bad weather, but it will make a big difference for the fan experience and the amount that wind affects the game. To me, this is the best of both worlds. Football is meant to be played outdoors, and nothing beats the atmosphere of a beautiful fall day -- or even a cold winter day -- in Orchard Park. So no, there won't be a dome, but yes, there will be weather protection.

tldx20ompmg1lbzoavkp

Yep. Same practical design, but with a different aesthetic. 

It also maximizes crowd noise. Get ready to break the record, even with the reduced seat numbers.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Have you ever been to Minneapolis in the winter?

It has a glass roof that is literally designed for tons of snow.

USBankCommonsSidewalkWinter640.jpg

I believe it's not glass, but ETFE plastic. Super versatile and low-maintenance material. The Bills stadium will make great use of it, as well.

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

tldx20ompmg1lbzoavkp

I'm not an engineer but I have a hard time envisioning a partial roof that covers most of the stands without it being nearly enclosed in full.

Rain/snow doesn't fall straight down. It comes at an angle. 

For this reason, Seahawk fans still get soaked in the rain. 

EDIT: A quick google search revealed that it's pretty hit or miss. There are certain rows and sections that are better covered than others. Eek.

a7af59b1-7e7e-4e43-881b-02df64614c08-lar

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I believe it's not glass, but ETFE plastic. Super versatile and low-maintenance material. The Bills stadium will make great use of it, as well.

Lets hope.

Edited by Einstein

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

tldx20ompmg1lbzoavkp

I do like the Seattle stadium design except 1 thing…. I wish the level 1 seats went all the way around. That would be even more beneficial for the winds in orchard park 

22 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I'm not an engineer but I have a hard time envisioning a partial roof that covers most of the stands without it being nearly enclosed in full.

Rain/snow doesn't fall straight down. It comes at an angle. 

For this reason, Seahawk fans still get soaked in the rain. 

EDIT: A quick google search revealed that it's pretty hit or miss. There are certain rows and sections that are better covered than others. Eek.

a7af59b1-7e7e-4e43-881b-02df64614c08-lar

I can only comment on my own experience there. Perhaps I was one of the lucky ones with regard to seat location. All I know is that I attended a night game in November, and I distinctly remember feeling much less exposed to the elements -- wind, cold, rain -- than I typically would be at the Ralph. 

It won't be perfect. Wind and precipitation WILL still affect the players and fans. I think it'll be worlds better than what they both currently face at Highmark Stadium, though.

52 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Sunday showed the Bills need a dome.

The only people who don't think this team needs a dome are people who aren't smart enough realize it... so they don't matter anyway.

Tell it to the Pegula’s.  They’re so dumb they aren’t building a facility with a roof and tens of thousands will still show up to the games.  

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

I have historically been anti-dome for similar reasons. Traditional domes feel like a crypt.

In the modern era, domes are not like this. There is so much natural light that you feel like you are outside.

Examples: 

New_stadium_field.0.jpg

1599673388351.jpeg

SoFi is the coolest looking stadium

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Can we finally put the need for a dome stadium to rest?

No.

It would be better for future teams.

It would be better for (the majority) of fans.

I still don’t agree with this…I’m not sure mac jones could physically pass the ball at all in the wind game and josh was still moving the ball fine.  We have the best qb you could ask for in bad weather he has an absolute cannon and runs like a fullback.  I’ll hold my tongue til after the rematch in the playoffs but it really feels like the Pats got lucky in that wind game…they had no business winning that game we just shot ourselves in the foot too many times 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

21 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

How many teams (over all the years) have actually had a dome?

You can't be a dome team that wins the Super Bowl if you don't play in a dome.

Have you adjusted your math for this?

I'm guessing no.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Actually, the colosseum in Rome originally had a feature called the "velarium" which was like a fabric awning that stuck out from the upper walls of the stadium.  It was retractable and controlled by sailors with knowledge of ropes, lines, tackle, etc.  

It didn't extend very far out over the stadium, but managed to keep a huge % of the crowd in the shade, even as the sun moved through the sky during the day.  

Just another example of the brilliance of ancient Rome.

u8M0OvCh.jpg

colosseum%20mast%20supports.jpg

400x300xvelarium.jpg.pagespeed.ic.KBkQqN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It’s a lost cause! The Low IQ BUF townies will only argue that a cover is for “girly men”. (Btw, OJ called, he wants his glove!)

Josh realized we need a stadium cover for highest winds in the NFL (2x), we need as a recruitment, future teams, rules changes, and all styles of future team play!

A cover isn’t about girly-men or nostalgia—it’s about a competitive long term team future.

f the next (local) generation, again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Actually, the colosseum in Rome originally had a feature called the "velarium" which was like a fabric awning that stuck out from the upper walls of the stadium.  It was retractable and controlled by sailors with knowledge of ropes, lines, tackle, etc.  

It didn't extend very far out over the stadium, but managed to keep a huge % of the crowd in the shade, even as the sun moved through the sky during the day.  

Just another example of the brilliance of ancient Rome.

u8M0OvCh.jpg

colosseum%20mast%20supports.jpg

400x300xvelarium.jpg.pagespeed.ic.KBkQqN

Velariums were used in round "stadiums", which is a big engineering difference than rectangular, and they covered the entire seating area (Not a portion of it - like the Seahawks).

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, WotAGuy said:

I wonder if the new stadium will be similar to Hard Rock Stadium. Didn’t they figure a way to cover most of the seats?

Yes. But at that point you might as well build a dome.

Cost over half a billion to put that roof and other upgrades on.

20 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The idea of a dome has been dead for a while now. 

Football is an outdoor sport. Domes are only needed where there is excess heat, because heat is much more dangerous to people in that setting.

Well according to the CDC thats not true

Results and Conclusions—During 2006–2010, about 2,000 U.S. residents died each year from weather-related causes of death. About 31% of these deaths were attributed to exposure to excessive natural heat, heat stroke, sun stroke, or all; 63% were attributed to exposure to excessive natural cold, hypothermia, or both; and the remaining 6% were attributed to floods, storms, or lightning

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr076.pdf

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Einstein said:

Yes. But at that point you might as well build a dome.

Cost over half a billion to put that roof and other upgrades on.

Well, it was a retrofit and has to withstand hurricanes, which I’m sure added to the cost. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.