Can we finally put the need for a dome stadium to rest?

Bubba Gump

There have been 52 total Super bowls to date. And only three times has a dome team one. SB 34 with the Rams, SB41 with the Colts and SB 44 with the Saints. Needing a dome to have a championship team is a total farce. Domes are for people who cant handle a little weather now and then. I had a blast at the game today. It's minus 5 in Green Bay right now in a sold out Lambeau. Buffalo is getting soft.

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Vomit 4
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 5

I prefer a dome. With the $$$ I drop and will only go up with the new stadium. I want to see the best athletes on the field in the best conditions possible. That is entertaining. And that is what football is. Entertainment 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I prefer a dome. With the $$$ I drop and will only go up with the new stadium. I want to see the best athletes on the field in the best conditions possible. That is entertaining. And that is what football is. Entertainment 

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I love pure sport in a dome. AND, I love a good snow game. I love football in WNY!

I WIN! 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This.

that said, I don’t even think about it anymore.  It’s just not going to happen. Oh well.  

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Is this like the official thread to end all done threads?  You should make a poll.  I think it would seem more official if there were a 3 pronged poll.

I don’t think we’ve even gotten below sea level on this iceberg! 

• Haha (+1) 1

BS.

You saw today the great equalizer bad weather can be for both teams on the field much like the NE game. 

All teams should play under ideal weather conditions and that's what a dome would give. 

Many get so blitzed at games as a fan of course it means nothing. You're so warm from the booze. 

I want to watch my team play against another team, not the crappy weather!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The owners don't want a roof so it's a moot point.

We can post all the stats, arguments, and history that we want but the team does not want a dome and that isn't going to change. 

This is what “really” ends the Dome Debate. It is what the owners want. 

but no one will ever convince me for an open air stadium preference, just isn’t going to happen. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I moved down south to get away from the cold and snow. I typically come up for a game in September/October. Would love to come up for a playoff game especially in the comfort of a dome watching this super powered offense play without dealing with wind/ snow and all the other crap I don’t have to deal with anymore 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This is what “really” ends the Dome Debate. It is what the owners want. 

but no one will ever convince me for an open air stadium preference, just isn’t going to happen. 

So you left Buffalo but now demand Buffalo builds a dome for your convenience? Got it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Fallser said:

So you left Buffalo but now demand Buffalo builds a dome for your convenience? Got it. 

Yep I know sucks the Army doesn’t let you live in the location of your choosing. 

and where did I demand anything stop projecting. 

Now tell me how much do you drop a year watching the Bills?  

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Haha (+1) 1

The three arguments for open air:

1) “ manly-man harsh conditions are for real men to watch, everyone else is weak”. I suppose?

2) “Other stadiums are open air and are fine”. Bogus. BUF is the worst weather in NFL, by almost every measure (wind, wet, cold). every player knows it affects their career negatively. 

3) Costly dome

Downstate NY Yankee stadium had $1.2B subsidy of $2,3B.  Suck it up kids, let’s get $$ for upstate for once!! Spans 50 yrs not a big deal. 

• Like (+1) 6

16 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

BS.

You saw today the great equalizer bad weather can be for both teams on the field much like the NE game. 

All teams should play under ideal weather conditions and that's what a dome would give. 

Many get so blitzed at games as a fan of course it means nothing. You're so warm from the booze. 

I want to watch my team play against another team, not the crappy weather!

Nonsense.  Weather didn’t equalize anything today.  Bad decisions and poor execution made it a game in the first half.  2 tipped passes had nothing to do with weather.  Neither did Stevenson’s fumble.  Neither did Pitts catch and run.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, hmsmystic said:

I think it's a moot point in any case-

-Dome stadiums are considerably more expensive to build (and likely maintain) than open air

-Buffalo is going to struggle to fund any new stadium

In short- Bills couldn't afford a new domed stadium

Accurate. But folks that moved south demand that WNY and the Bills build a dome so they can be comfy. Hypocrisy is comical.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, billsherd said:

By the time stadium is build and bills start playing "this team" could look very different.

Also accurate- stadium domed or not, if you started today wouldn’t be ready for 3-4 years. Who the heck knows what we are by then. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Fallser said:

Accurate. But folks that moved south demand that WNY and the Bills build a dome so they can be comfy. Hypocrisy is comical.

Once again NO ONE is DEMANDING anything. Why won’t you answer my question. How much have you dropped this year going to games?  

2 minutes ago, Fallser said:

Stop with big talk because you came to one game this year, no one cares. 

I have 5 season tickets.  Want to keep trying?  So no answer. Typical. Now back to your make believe world of people “demanding” 

Edited by MAJBobby

37 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I get where you're coming from, but I absolutely love the occasional snow game and I think football teams should play in the elements. Weather is a storied part of this sport and I think it will be a shame when the day comes where every team plays in a hermetically sealed bubble.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MPT said:

I get where you're coming from, but I absolutely love the occasional snow game and I think football teams should play in the elements. Weather is a storied part of this sport and I think it will be a shame when the day comes where every team plays in a hermetically sealed bubble.

While I get the “history” part of it. Means nothing to me anymore. When tickets didn’t require a second mortgage fine I would go enjoy the ***** weather with the best of them. But the NFL is a corporate machine. And when you are going to charge what the tickets likely are going to be in the new stadium, weather takes the value down of that in game experience. 

remember every team in the league is fighting a man cave with 4K HD cheap food and perfect viewing conditions. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

WNY would benefit from a dome stadium because it would be a multi venue location.  The cost of the roof is really irrelevant because the venue would be around 50 years or so.  The amount of revenue generated over that time would more than cover the expense. 

All you have to do is look at the last 50 years of events at the Ralph.  Overwhelmingly Bills games not much else.  A dome would afford all sorts of revenue opportunities - concerts, auto shows, NCAA basketball tournament games, etc.  The ***** weather and feeling uncomfortable has little to do with it.  

Edited by DCbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

While I get the “history” part of it. Means nothing to me anymore. When tickets didn’t require a second mortgage fine I would go enjoy the ***** weather with the best of them. But the NFL is a corporate machine. And when you are going to charge what the tickets likely are going to be in the new stadium, weather takes the value down of that in game experience. 

remember every team in the league is fighting a man cave with 4K HD cheap food and perfect viewing conditions. 

Oh I totally understand that too. Doesn't make it less regrettable to me.

I agree with the outdoors is a fun part. But this board keeps forgetting how absolutely ***** the weather is (wind, wet, cold). TB moved to Tampa. NYS is bleeding upstate peeps because of this “romantic football weather”.  

Long term, better conditions are better to retain, recruit!

6 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

WNY would benefit from a dome stadium because it would be a multi venue location.  The cost of the roof is really irrelevant because the venue would be around 50 years or so.  The amount of revenue generated over that time would more than cover the expense. 

All you have to do is look at the last 50 years of events at the Ralph.  Overwhelmingly Bills games not much else.  A dome would afford all sorts of revenue opportunities - concerts, auto shows, NCAA basketball tournament games, etc.  The ***** weather and feeling uncomfortable has little to do with it.  

PS & E did all of their research and studies.  They already stated what the stadium was going to be.   Are arguments for a roof based on some information that they have changed their minds?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.