Should Davis start over Sanders going forward?

Blainorama5

Davis or Sanders as the starter?  

290 members have voted

1. 1. Should Davis continue to start over Sanders?

• Yes
    • No
    • Bench them both and start Kumerow

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I was irate to know Sanders ever started over Davis. I made a really old thread about how mad I was

I thought the Sanders signing was a good one because we needed depth in case of injury like we did at the end of last season.

Then to see Sanders taking all of his snaps? Pfft. What a poor roster decision. Wonder if that was Beane over McDermott. 

Game day roster is 100% coaching staff.

Said it before, gonna say it again, as if this moment in time, Davis is our best WR.  I know full well he’s benefiting from the attention to Diggs, but he’s flat out producing, if he comes off the field for any reason other than catching his breath, the decision maker should be beat with a switch.

• Thank you (+1) 1

100% they should switch roles.  

I said it after the Bucs game...we are a better offense without Sanders.  That is NOT a knock on Sanders who is a great dude, great teammate and still can play.  Its about the rest of our offense.  

Our OL struggles to hold up on pass pro this year, and getting guys like Cole and Knox more touches on shorter quicker routes because they can often win their matchup is key.  Davis fits in better on the outside because he brings something different to the table.  He is more physical of a receiver than Sanders, can still go deep, and plays bigger.  So he compliments Diggs more than Sanders does.  

So now you have a more layered offense on the field that is harder to defend.  What I love about Davis is that he is deceptively fast too, he is a guy who can beat you deep when you are not expecting it, just like he is a guy who can use his body to create space on a quick slant.  

Sanders at this stage is more of a finesse receiver and can be taken out of the game too easily by physical corners.  Absolutely should still get some snaps, but I think the snap count should flip flop between what Sanders was seeing and what Davis was seeing.  

Davis should be the starter, he has earned it the last game and a half where he was finally getting the touches.  Him and Josh seem to have a great connection too.

Not going to say that Sanders is over the hill or washed up or anything like that....but for whatever reason, some of Allens' worst passes have gone to Sanders...like he is trying to force the ball to him, so he doesn't feel left out.  I am sure there is a bit of that with all the receivers from time to time...and Sanders certainly doesn't seem like a "diva".  Davis is up an coming... he continually comes up big for the Bills, in his limited role.  Let him play more!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’ve been one of sanders’ biggest supporters.  Gabe belongs in the starting lineup this season.

He does no doubt. At this point I think Gabe should be the starting #2 with Sanders and Beasley sharing snaps in the slot and Sanders spelling Gabe at the #2. 

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Not going to say that Sanders is over the hill or washed up or anything like that....but for whatever reason, some of Allens' worst passes have gone to Sanders...like he is trying to force the ball to him, so he doesn't feel left out.  I am sure there is a bit of that with all the receivers from time to time...and Sanders certainly doesn't seem like a "diva".  Davis is up an coming... he continually comes up big for the Bills, in his limited role.  Let him play more!

Took the words out of my mouth.

For whatever reason, Josh’s deep passes to Sanders this season have almost never seemed to hit. Whether that’s Josh overthrowing, under-throwing (he does put a lot of balls at receivers’ feet), or if it’s Sanders being too slow or difficulty tracking the ball, the connection hasn’t been there. IIRC, they say that Sanders is great in practice, but that absolutely hasn’t translated to games.

Gabe, otoh, has been pretty 🔥 when he’s been given chances / targets.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So now you have a more layered offense on the field that is harder to defend.  What I love about Davis is that he is deceptively fast too, he is a guy who can beat you deep when you are not expecting it, just like he is a guy who can use his body to create space on a quick slant.  

Going a step further, is it also worth having Stevenson run a few go routes during a game?  (Essentially the Robert Foster role)

• Like (+1) 2

YES. Although my reason is Davis does a better job in run blocking than Sanders. We really need to run outside more often by pulling our guards and having the WRs helping out.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

100% they should switch roles.  

I said it after the Bucs game...we are a better offense without Sanders.  That is NOT a knock on Sanders who is a great dude, great teammate and still can play.  Its about the rest of our offense.  

Our OL struggles to hold up on pass pro this year, and getting guys like Cole and Knox more touches on shorter quicker routes because they can often win their matchup is key.  Davis fits in better on the outside because he brings something different to the table.  He is more physical of a receiver than Sanders, can still go deep, and plays bigger.  So he compliments Diggs more than Sanders does.  

Sanders at this stage is more of a finesse receiver and can be taken out of the game too easily by physical corners.  Absolutely should still get some snaps, but I think the snap count should flip flop between what Sanders was seeing and what Davis was seeing.  

Davis should be the starter, he has earned it the last game and a half where he was finally getting the touches.  Him and Josh seem to have a great connection too.

This. Especially in the run game where WR's are more important than a lot of people realize.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Sanders had some good games as a Bill, but Davis is just more solid and more clutch. He should get more opportunities.

We would not have won that playoff game against the Colts without Davis.

I'd say he's "hungrier" than Sanders as well - who's clearly more towards the end of his career.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.