McDermott's Biggest Mistake?

JESSEFEFFER

I have been in a bit of Bills news time warp since attending the Monday game as I flew out of Buffalo at 5:30AM the following morning and worked long hours at a company facility all week.  So, while maybe it was discussed in the GDT or post game conversation but as a main take-a-way from this game I do not know if as much was made of this as I think it deserves.  It's as big of a mistake as Wade Phillips' decision to kick a field goal for the lead, on first down at the 23 with 20 seconds on the clock.  

The Bills won the coin toss and DEFERRED as if nothing was going to be different about this game.  But  everyone knew it would be different and we knew it all week. 

Watching pregame warmups, kicks toward the scoreboard were driven short and to the right from even a modest distance of 40 yards.  Kicks toward the tunnel had a range of 65+ yards leaving me to wonder if we might witness a new NFL record FG.

A close game was reasonable to expect and close games get decided in the 4th quarter. With timeout usage, the two minute warning and clock stoppage for out-of-bounds in the last 5 minutes of the game, more plays from scrimmage usually occur in the 4th quarter than in any of the other three.

By deferring, Sean McDermott left the decision of whether the Bills would have the wind advantage in the 4th quarter in the hands of Bill Belichick. I 'd bet when the Bills deferred, Bill might have even laughed out loud knowing that everything the Bills might attempt to do in the 4th quarter of a normal game would now become either more difficult to even impossible.  I count this as one of Sean's biggest in game coaching blunders and right up there with Wade's.   

On to Tampa Bay, where giving your opponent the option to decide which direction to kickoff in the 3rd quarter is of little consequence.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

It's as big of a mistake as Wade Phillips' decision to kick a field goal for the lead, on first down at the 23 with 20 seconds on the clock.  

You know in all the years I never even knew that is what happened. Holy cow is that an all-time blunder. 

I could be wrong but I believe by deferring the first half, it gave the Bills the option to receive or kick off in the second half. McD's blunder would have been choosing to not defer again in the second half. Would have been better for the Bills to to not start either half with the ball. This takes away a possession potentially but gives them the wind in the fourth quarter. My only thinking is the wind was slowing down as the night went on and that maybe McDermott thought it would slow enough that it wouldn't be as big an issue. But that seems a bit far fetched because it was still whipping around 20mph in the 4th quarter. Down from 25 to 20 isn't much of an advantage. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

This team is obsessed with the short kickoffs(I always post about hating them in game day threads a bunch).  But why not this week when you got a fumble already try some short kickoffs and make them handle the ball again.  This week Bass just booted it out of the endzone.

1 minute ago, boco357 said:

This team is obsessed with the short kickoffs(I always post about hating them in game day threads a bunch).  But why not this week when you got a fumble already try some short kickoffs and make them handle the ball again.  This week Bass just booted it out of the endzone.

Good point.  Sitting in section 228, it was noted among our group how odd it was that the Bills would kick short to the Saints in a dome but not even attempt that during a home game in cold and windy conditions.

14 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

It's as big of a mistake as Wade Phillips' decision to kick a field goal for the lead, on first down at the 23 with 20 seconds on the clock.  

I believe the strategy on this is that if there is a bad snap or if the kick is blocked back (doesn’t cross the LOS) and is recovered by the kicking team, then possession is maintained and there is time left - and downs left - to try the FG again.  I was at a Browns v Steelers game in Pittsburgh that went to OT and this came into play.  Browns blocked a Steelers FG attempt late in OT on 3rd down, Steelers recovered and successfully kicked the winner on the next play.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I believe the strategy on this is that if there is a bad snap or if the kick is blocked back (doesn’t cross the LOS) and is recovered by the kicking team, then possession is maintained and there is time left - and downs left - to try the FG again.  I was at a Browns v Steelers game in Pittsburgh that went to OT and this came into play.  Browns blocked a Steelers FG attempt late in OT on 3rd down, Steelers recovered and successfully kicked the winner on the next play.  

That must be the one time that has actually come into play. Not arguing, just think the perceived threat of that scenario is always overblown when the commentators talk about going for it earlier then necessary. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Let me offer an alternate view here and a reason why coaches get ulcers.  By taking the wind in the first quarter McD absolutely did the right thing.  But two players screwed it up.  NE gets the KO and goes 3 and out losing 5 yards. The Bills get the ball at midfield but on 3rd & 7 Knox drops a pass that would have got the Bills a 1st down inside the Pats 35.  We punt and NE again goes 3 and out.  This time their punt is caught in the wind and the Bills take over at NE's 40 yard line.  The Bills get a 1st down and then on FIRST & 10 at the Pats 29 yard line Brieda fumbles away the ball. 

After each team had two possessions with us having the wind at our backs we should've been up 10 or even 14 to nothing.  Instead two bad plays by two different players screwed it up.  McD must still have nightmares of how the game started and how close he came to winning it in the 1st quarter.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

No coach willingly leaves time on the clock for the opponent to do whatever weird things they might have practiced for such a situation.  The Bills were also out of times out so it think a blocked kick recovery or botched snap would require that they somehow lineup and spike the ball after the mayhem of a botched play and recovering the ball.  I do not think that they get another chance and it was nothing to plan for.

43 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I have been in a bit of Bills news time warp since attending the Monday game as I flew out of Buffalo at 5:30AM the following morning and worked long hours at a company facility all week.  So, while maybe it was discussed in the GDT or post game conversation but as a main take-a-way from this game I do not know if as much was made of this as I think it deserves.  It's as big of a mistake as Wade Phillips' decision to kick a field goal for the lead, on first down at the 23 with 20 seconds on the clock.  

The Bills won the coin toss and DEFERRED as if nothing was going to be different about this game.  But  everyone knew it would be different and we knew it all week. 

Watching pregame warmups, kicks toward the scoreboard were driven short and to the right from even a modest distance of 40 yards.  Kicks toward the tunnel had a range of 65+ yards leaving me to wonder if we might witness a new NFL record FG.

A close game was reasonable to expect and close games get decided in the 4th quarter. With timeout usage, the two minute warning and clock stoppage for out-of-bounds in the last 5 minutes of the game, more plays from scrimmage usually occur in the 4th quarter than in any of the other three.

By deferring, Sean McDermott left the decision of whether the Bills would have the wind advantage in the 4th quarter in the hands of Bill Belichick. I 'd bet when the Bills deferred, Bill might have even laughed out loud knowing that everything the Bills might attempt to do in the 4th quarter of a normal game would now become either more difficult to even impossible.  I count this as one of Sean's biggest in game coaching blunders and right up there with Wade's.   

On to Tampa Bay, where giving your opponent the option to decide which direction to kickoff in the 3rd quarter is of little consequence.

This was discussed, quite a bit.

The thing is, I'm not sure it made as much difference as people thought

FWIW Kubiak in TBN (I was a little disappointed by his article this week, but he's always worth reading) has this to say about the 3rd Q, when the Bills had the wind:

The Bills had the wind at their backs in the third quarter and were unable able to get into the end zone on two drives.  In this quarter, powerful wind currents carried the football in unexpected ways as seen on this incompletion......

....Here, on second-and-5, the Bills had what they wanted, single coverage on the outside with breathing room to complete a hitch underneath the coverage. Allen’s read was correct and his throw was accurate until the wind took over. The nose of the football was up as the air current pushed the football off course and to the inside of the field. There wasn’t any way to account for or prevent this knuckleball movement.  This was an example of how the wind wreaked havoc in both directions as well as the reason why the Patriots only threw the football three times.

Point is, the Bills were able to move the ball effectively both with and against the wind, and the wind wrecked havoc on our game in both directions.

It's a point that we might have succeeded with the missed FG in the 4Q if it were with the wind, but then, would we have failed on the FG in the 3Q and wound up in the same place?  And, if the Bills had used a play to line up the FG correctly, would it have been made?

Don't know.  Don't get do-overs.

What I do know is that there were failures in execution (dropped passes, fumble) that could have made it our ball game whichever way McDermott chose.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Let me offer an alternate view here and a reason why coaches get ulcers.  By taking the wind in the first quarter McD absolutely did the right thing.  But two players screwed it up.  NE gets the KO and goes 3 and out losing 5 yards. The Bills get the ball at midfield but on 3rd & 7 Knox drops a pass that would have got the Bills a 1st down inside the Pats 35.  We punt and NE again goes 3 and out.  This time their punt is caught in the wind and the Bills take over at NE's 40 yard line.  The Bills get a 1st down and then on FIRST & 10 at the Pats 29 yard line Brieda fumbles away the ball. 

After each team had two possessions with us having the wind at our backs we should've been up 10 or even 14 to nothing.  Instead two bad plays by two different players screwed it up.  McD must still have nightmares of how the game started and how close he came to winning it in the 1st quarter.

Much like seasons in general, it matters way more how things end than how they begin.  Wanting that advantage in the 1st quarter rather than the 4th quarter is short sighted and, frankly, foolish.

1 minute ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Much like seasons in general, it matters way more how things end than how they begin.  Wanting that advantage in the 1st quarter rather than the 4th quarter is short sighted and, frankly, foolish.

I believe McD was looking for the knockout blow assuming that Jones couldn't throw the ball in these conditions. While it didn't go according to McD's plan it came pretty damn close.

• Agree 2

I thought the same thing when I did the math.

However, I think the plan was to run up the score early so that the patriots would have to rely on Mac Jones to throw by the third quarter — playing into our hand strategically for three reasons: number one, our good secondary, number two, our questionable run defense and number three, Mac Jones in the wind.

That would’ve almost guaranteed a win for us — If we had scored a couple times.

That of course never happened.

When you break it down further, however, and account for 20 years of repeated history, never ever ever give Bill Belichick any advantage in the fourth quarter.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Hapless brings up a good point that the Bills were arguably more inept on offense with the wind in the 3rd quarter so no guarantee that they move the ball well in the 4th quarter with the wind. And the 3rd quarter field goal is likely missed if going into the wind instead of with it.

I think McDermott's biggest blunders were 1. wasting two timeouts that could have given the Bills about 70-75 seconds left to work with at the end. And 2. not demanding Daboll call at least two Allen run plays when they were 1st and goal at the six yard line on I think their second to last possession of the game. I got to believe Allen can bully his way to 6 yards on 3 or 4 carries if needed.

A

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Hapless brings up a good point that the Bills were arguably more inept on offense with the wind in the 3rd quarter so no guarantee that they move the ball well in the 4th quarter with the wind. And the 3rd quarter field goal is likely missed if going into the wind instead of with it.

I think McDermott's biggest blunders were 1. wasting two timeouts that could have given the Bills about 70-75 seconds left to work with at the end. And 2. not demanding Daboll call at least two Allen run plays when they were 1st and goal at the six yard line on I think their second to last possession of the game. I got to believe Allen can bully his way to 6 yards on 3 or 4 carries if needed.

Anytime the Bills fail in the RZ and Josh did not run even once, that seems like a mistake to me.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

McD could have chosen the wind direction as well to start the second half.  He didn’t thus why the Pats had the wind in the 4th quarter.  But Mcd DID have the ability to assure they had the wind to end the game. 

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

This comment made me think of something, didn't Marv take over play calling in the redzone? I seem to remember him saying that.

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

McD could have chosen the wind direction as well to start the second half.  He didn’t thus why the Pats had the wind in the 4th quarter.  But Mcd DID have the ability to assure they had the wind to end the game. 

Yeah that is what i was thinking as well.

Thought process then might be that McD thought we moved the ball well enough in the first half against the wind that he wasn't concerned and/or that the wind slowing down from 25 to 20 mph as the night went on meant he wanted to go with the wind in the third quarter when the conditions were worst.

In the end I don't think it really matters that much. Bills moved the ball against the wind.  The one TD was thrown going into the wind. The bigger factors were not running Allen more and blowing two timeouts.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

This comment made me think of something, didn't Marv take over play calling in the redzone? I seem to remember him saying that.

Not sure. But hopefully both McDermott and Daboll use this as a learning experience. I forget if it was 1st and goal or 2nd and goal but to have to call a timeout at that point to get what you think is the correct play call is insane. I mean absolute worst case scenario you just call some sort of run for Allen. Even something like a QB sneak on 2nd down from 6 or 8 yards out could gain 3 or 4 yards catching the defense off guard.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Am I incorrect in my assumption that by deferring the first half coin toss McDermott also gets to choose the ball or the wind in the second half?

I thought the above option results in the opponent getting an additional conditional draft pick. 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That must be the one time that has actually come into play. Not arguing, just think the perceived threat of that scenario is always overblown when the commentators talk about going for it earlier then necessary. 

I think in general it’s better to run the clock down to the last play of the game.  The odds of a bad snap, etc are so low.  But in certain cases - new snapper/holder, protection issues,  etc. - it would make sense.  I don’t remember if the Steelers had any issues like that in the game I mentioned.  It was a long time ago. 

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I didn’t have a problem with this.  In hind sight it looks much worse considering that the Bills came away with 0 points and New England broke a huge TD run.  

If the Bills were able to mount a lead early it could have changed the game script.  Considering that the Bills struggled all game to score TD’s, I’m not sure the wind in the 4th would have made much difference 

2 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

While I agree with you about this point, personally, I thought his biggest mistake was not going for the 2 point conversation after the TD...it pretty much dictated our offensive play calling of the rest of the game- we had to play for a TD instead of a FG to tie and then a FG to win...much different type of pressure...

I kept telling my wife, its not guaranteed that you’re going to be able to score again- especially in that weather...so why not try to tie the game, with a 2 point conversion, while you have the opportunity? Whether you’re down 1 or 2 points makes no difference...I was really pissed about that decision and predicted it would come back to haunt them- and it did...

One of the bigger boneheaded decisions I think McD has ever made...just shows low IQ for in game decision making, to me...

Edited by JaCrispy

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

One thing I do have to give McDermott credit for is the inactivation of Stevenson and McKenzie. The Bills lone TD came off a Patriots blunder by their punt return team. McDermott correctly realized the conditions for returning punts were not favorable and better to not take any chances.

agreed.  his mistake was taking the bait when media asked him about it.   I don't think coaches should say anything meaningful or address questions directly right after a game, especially a night game.   emotions are frayed and the media takes advantage .  BB has it right.. don't say crap right after a game.  the media can go pound sand until after the HC has had a chance to see the game tape

Last time I cheeked all four quarters had 15 mins of playing time.  Taking the wind to start or in the fourth quarter is meaningless.  Execution is all that matters.  

With or without the wind they didn't let Allen win the game.  Stupid over commitment to attempt to run.  The only adjustment that should have been made with regard to the wind, was to go a bit more hurry up with the wind. Maybe they get a few more offensive plays or force the Pats to play a few more offensive plays against the wind.  The BiIlls got beat in all four quarters and all phases of the game.  And that falls squarely on McDermott

33 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

That is the rule.  Not sure why the took the ball and not the wind.

Wouldn't that have given the Pats an extra possession? They got the ball to start the game and then again in this scenario to start the second half. 

You know in all the years I never even knew that is what happened. Holy cow is that an all-time blunder. 

I could be wrong but I believe by deferring the first half, it gave the Bills the option to receive or kick off in the second half. McD's blunder would have been choosing to not defer again in the second half. Would have been better for the Bills to to not start either half with the ball. This takes away a possession potentially but gives them the wind in the fourth quarter. My only thinking is the wind was slowing down as the night went on and that maybe McDermott thought it would slow enough that it wouldn't be as big an issue. But that seems a bit far fetched because it was still whipping around 20mph in the 4th quarter. Down from 25 to 20 isn't much of an advantage. 

That wind was never diminishing. The OP is 100% right. This is why Bill will be 100x better coach than McD. Sean doesn't think of S#!% like that. He's too caught up wasting timeouts on nonsense which is what he's known for.  All 3 of our primary coaches collectively had their WORST game with the Bills.

One thing I do have to give McDermott credit for is the inactivation of Stevenson and McKenzie. The Bills lone TD came off a Patriots blunder by their punt return team. McDermott correctly realized the conditions for returning punts were not favorable and better to not take any chances.

I think you may be doing this wrong. I think we are supposed to make a list of every thing that has ever gone wrong.  You know, because every other team hits on 100% of their moves. Isn’t that how these threads work? 

Look, I know they have made some mistakes, and even some blunders, but we are getting pretty creative in finding ways to be critical. And I am NOT against being critical when it is due, but my goodness! Go to 7-5 with 4 losses that could have gone either way, turning on a single play here or there is NOT the end of the world. I hope they can manage the situation they have and patch up the Oline, develop a run game, protect Josh, stop the run, etc. But I’m not going to dwell on who they should have taken in the 3rd round in 2018 because I knew he’d be a stud or any other such hindsight. Learn from the past, but focus on the future. Maybe that’s just me.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Bills should have scored at least a FG on the long drives in the 4th qtr. I'm sick of clueless. penalties in the red zone. This is coaching 101. No false starts in the red zone.

• Like (+1) 1

In college football OT, coaches choose to play defense first.  It is powerful to play offense knowing what you need to tie or win the game.  If you need a desperate 4th down play to get what's needed, it's there to use.   Having the wind in the 4th quarter is much the same.  Whether throwing or kicking, it's best to have the advantage when you know what you need for the win/tie.  I have not seen the replay of the throw to Diggs that hit him in the arm for what should have been a TD.  That throw was not even possible going the other way.  Moving with the wind allows many more options to be available when the game is on the line.

I don't want to get rid of McDermott. I want him to get better.  Real question.  Is McDermott getting better?  What does he do better now than two seasons ago:

1) Coaching staff selection? 
2)Game plan? 
3) Game prep?
4)Player evaluation?
5) General game management?
6) Clock management? 

8 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I believe McD was looking for the knockout blow assuming that Jones couldn't throw the ball in these conditions. While it didn't go according to McD's plan it came pretty damn close.

That doesn't make sense.  Your logic is fundamentally flawed. McD deferred.  Therefore he wasn't looking to do anything except business as usual.  He didn't choose the wind after winning the coin toss. He deferred and Belichick chose to take the ball.  There was no plan by McDermott to win the 1st quarter. 

41 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That doesn't make sense.  Your logic is fundamentally flawed. McD deferred.  Therefore he wasn't looking to do anything except business as usual.  He didn't choose the wind after winning the coin toss. He deferred and Belichick chose to take the ball.  There was no plan by McDermott to win the 1st quarter. 

And business as usual is giving NE the ball and getting the wind at your back in return. McD expected that to happen and BB obliged.  So I'm not sure what your point is here?

10 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Completely incorrect.  The Bills deferred their decision to the 2nd half meaning at the beginning of the 3rd quarter they had a choice between receiving, kicking off, or choosing which end to defend.  So  the Bills could have instead chosen which end to defend so they'd have the wind in the 4th quarter.  But then NE would have chosen to receive the ball to start the 3rd quarter just as they received the ball to start the game.  You're basically giving NE an extra possession in a game that they were behind at the half and could sense point would be hard to come by.  That would be a hard choice to defend if they lost in giving NE the ball an extra time in game they were behind at the time.

I will say the the thought did go through my mind before the coin toss that if the team deferring to the 3rd quarter was ahead by a fair margin, would they choose direction instead of the ball.  I think if the Bills were up 2 TD's at the half, then may have in that case.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.