To much Doom and Gloom here today

HOUSE

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

I am not sure how ANYONE, (media included) can draw any conclusions from last nights game.

If the doom and gloom is the focus from last night, you are spinning your wheels

Overall season, I understand

Can we draw something from the Colts game ?  How about the Jags?  We're 2-3 in the last 5 and in the last 2 losses--both at home--we've given up 500 yards rushing.  Call me crazy, but I think we can definitely draw something from that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Evian said:

No we haven't. They have been locked into a playoff spot basically all year. They are now a loss away from being on the outside looking in. The Bills needed that wake up call.

I get what you are saying and hope you are right.  This does feel like a team that will win the last 4 and go in hot...but I'm not sure about these bucs. :)

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's fair to be disappointed in this year's team.  It's not an overreaction to any one game in particular.  They pissed away Week 1 to an inferior team, lost a tight one to Tennessee (no complaints there), lost to a relegation side against Jacksonville, got blown out by an inferior Colts team, and now lost to a team that practically didn't even dress a QB.  They beat KC, but otherwise their wins have all come against a parade of chumps and backups. 

Could they get hot and make a run in the playoffs?  Sure.  There are no scary teams in the AFC and anything's possible.  Much more likely is a quick one-and-done.  I have no idea how anybody would watch this team for 12 games and feel good about them beating another playoff team, let alone three or four in a row.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I sadly agree with @FireChan. This yet another ‘cave in game’ has produced alleged accusations of McDermott throwing players under the bus, Hyde losing it on a venomous slimebag reporter, Allen’s now tired ‘it’s on me’ postgame rhetoric and guaranteed fewer fannys in the seats in December & January for a team incapable of creating a Home Field advantage.

The charmingly rare occurrence of GM/HC/OC/DC staying together for 4 seasons died an ugly death last night, foul weather notwithstanding. There WILL be changes in this group in the all too soon offseason. There HAS to be.

Nope. NOT if the Bills make the playoffs and turn it around. Yes if they don't. THIS game isn't that significant. The season end result is. A team among the favorites to win it all that wouldn't even make the playoffs, of course some changes are bound to be made. They turn it around till then - STILL POSSIBLE!!! - and everyone is a hero again.

Some wind caused drops, some pressure in the face of Josh just as he had a receiver opened for a TD... it was very much close to a W. Winning or losing is often separated by a tiny margin, and it was yesterday.

These coaches are maddening as they do a LOT of things right. But no 5 DLs to stop SUPER OBVIOUS run plays when the front 4 is pushed around? Almost no designed QB runs on a game where it was needed, no sweeps (not only McKenzie can do that!), no good trap blocks, WTH was that?

What Belichick is master of, is causing dissension and disarray in his opponents. McD imploded in the post game conference. But a win vs the Bucs and it's all in the past.

Are the Bills on the edge of disaster? Of course! But I can't stand all the defeatists among the fans. They can still win 4 out 5, get in the big dance and make a huge splash. Likely? No. But they have still a real fighting chance. A real one.

Edit: and the Cheats have a tough schedule ahead. They are not THAT dominant! The Bills can beat them next time, and beat the Jets, and then would have the tie breaker. Of course, they also need at least one if not two other wins, but don't suppose the Cheats are going undefeated!

Edited by Jerome007

I think the D&G is warranted. The team has been a tire fire of self mistakes this season going back all the way to the Bills/Pitt game. 

The Bills are now on the brink of not making the playoffs. Most people think they can get to 10-7. That might not get it done to qualify, without help in the standings.

Maybe they can upset the Bucs or beat the Pats. Finish the season 4-1. MAYBE. However, has this team proved they wouldn't blow a game to the Falcons, Panthers, or Jets in this scenario.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

We have a big game coming up against Tom Brady & the Buccaneers

The Bills simply need to secure a playoff spot then anything can happen.

The best place to store the New England game is in the toilet, flush twice and forget this strange weather game

One Last observation, I was proud of the Bills last night, one touchdown away from Victory and the Patriot are suppose to be the best team in the NFL.

The Bills are not off course :thumbsup:

Thank you.  Though, I am always prepared for the overreactions after a loss.

I too was proud of the team. They played HARD.  We focus on the mistakes today - but in any other game, it wouldn't have been many. It's just that the BB Pats make so few, so there is little margin for error.  

And Allen was spectacular, imo.

I'm not like "we got this" today, but I'm on to the Bucs. It's an absolutely enormous game, against a team that - like KC - we're more built to compete w/ and beat.  Take that game & the playoffs are back on the menu in a big way.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I sadly agree with @FireChan. This yet another ‘cave in game’ has produced alleged accusations of McDermott throwing players under the bus, Hyde losing it on a venomous slimebag reporter, Allen’s now tired ‘it’s on me’ postgame rhetoric and guaranteed fewer fannys in the seats in December & January for a team incapable of creating a Home Field advantage.

The charmingly rare occurrence of GM/HC/OC/DC staying together for 4 seasons died an ugly death last night, foul weather notwithstanding. There WILL be changes in this group in the all too soon offseason. There HAS to be.

chandler this post packs a powerful punch. In one post. awesome. lots to ponder and wait with popcorn ready..Im strapped in.

Go Bills!~!~!!!

m

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Obviously.  Sorry to steal St. Doug's words.  The moment was too inviting.  In reality, it may not be that obvious at first blush.  This team has a glowing "recent past".  Still, barring McDermott taking a rare and shocking opt out of the remainder of his contract, PSE has some decisions to make.  And holy mother of God...  if that prospect doesn't make us queasy, then we will have proven sufficiently courageous to look at the foundation of this roster and see the cracks before our eyes.  Skilled as they are in so many areas, still this team cannot block or tackle when they need to.  They consistently back down and just expose their throats by way of silly rookie mistakes by veterans, turnovers and penalties too often in the face of adversity.  It's really that simple.  That is fundamentally unsound and screams for change.  

Maybe that change is as simple as adding some big nasties, but the good ones don't grow on trees.  Maybe it's as simple as addition by subtraction.  Is it possible that the "buy in" for many on this team is no longer buy in to "the process", but to the reputation and to the thrill of some brief recent success?  Purging those lacking full "buy in" types created stunning results in 2017.  Are there some Sammy, Marcel and Darby type of characters once again hiding right in front of us?    Who identifies the masqueraders this time?  Is Daboll one of them?  Is McDermott?  There is a lot of good talent and a lot of good character guys here, but there is clearly something wrong.  Something is missing or something is rotten, maybe both.  

To paraphrase the theory of Occam's Razor, the best explanation is usually the simplest.  When I watch this team, I see a team that appears inconsistently interested and easily pushed around the field.  What do you suppose is the easiest explanation of that?  Any suggestions Sean?

So yeah, I totally agree with the premise.  Change IS coming.  As you say, it has to.  Will it be the right change?

Edited by cwater10

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

The best place to store the New England game is in the toilet, flush twice and forget this strange weather game

One Last observation, I was proud of the Bills last night, one touchdown away from Victory and the Patriot are suppose to be the best team in the NFL.

If you expected to lose last night (which I certainly did) then there shouldn't be doom and gloom as much as understanding who this team is...one that's just a middle of the pack/WC type of team at best.

But for anyone that still thinks this is a SB contender or magically going to morph into a different team at this point good luck to you and the fantasy bubble you're living life in.

If we lose to Tampa Bay, we're likely on the outside looking in at the Playoffs.  

We have a 50/50 shot at the Playoffs if we win the three easier games and lose to the Bucs and Pats.  

I think there's quite good reason for doom and gloom today.  

We can look at the positive and how every other AFC team has difficult schedules down the stretch... many of them play each other etc., but it's the morning after NE -off a one year hiatus - has now reclaimed the division... 

Until this team shows they can beat a good team and win games in a row... we're probably not going to be the most chipper fanbase. 

• Agree 1

People are getting stuck in the optics.  The defense gave up over 200 yards and 3 passes.  Yes they did.  How many in the second half and in the 4th quarter.  I dont think the defense is at fault.  You cant expect a defense to give up 9 points.  Buffalo had the ball inside the 10 twice to take the lead and win it.  They lost.  On to Tampa.  Probably only can lose 1 more time at most.  Get in the tournament,  see what happens.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I agree.  The weather impacted the Bills more than the Patriots yesterday.  The Pats are a run first team with big backs and a solid o line.  The Bills have to pass the ball to win.  We have no run game...especially with Josh constantly in the shot gun.  The defense gave up one long run which was the difference in the game.  That's why I hate stacking the box.  If every player on D doesnt hit their gap...once the line is breached, there's no one to stop a long run.  When the Pats had the wind at their back and the Bills played off...we had more success stopping them.  The Pats were very beatable last night.  The Bills had to many mistakes by players at key times...case in point Dawson Knox.  He's strutting prior to the game in short sleeves.  Stop with the pregame antics and catch the freaking ball!   The coaching didn't help much either.  The play calling was bland and unimaginative.  All our running plays are the same.  No jet sweeps.  Crossing patterns abandoned quickly.  No play action.   So...the Bills have no one to blame but themselves.

Losses by other teams this weekend helped the Bills...Bengals, Ravens and Raiders.  Even at 10-7 the Bills can get in at the 7th seed, as long as there are no other surprises.  I hate that there is now a good shot at the Pats getting the number one seed...but it is what it is.  

Ii agree with flushing last night's game.  I'm staying away from all football talk shows for the forseeable future.   The season will play out and the chips will fall where they may.   The Bills need to get more physical and less finesse in the off season and I do believe some assistant coaching changes need to be made.

Now...for those who want to say we fans that still believe in the Bills are dilusional and are drinking the Kool-aid...you are wrong.  We know the Bills are playing bad football and that they are a flawed team.   We are simply realistic.  They aren't dead...but these self-inflicted wounds need to stop.  There are no teams in the AFC that are not flawed in some way.  There are no power houses.  Not this year.  However, there are good teams that are playing more consistently than the Bills, especially right now.   One week at a time.  One game at a time.

And hopefully...McD keeps learning.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I mean if the Jaguars game wasn't embarrassing enough. Yesterday was like icing on the cake. Anything less than a division crown is a huge disappointment. We should have been in contention for best record in AFC due to weak schedule but have gotten out worked. Other than corner offseason focus should be upgrading the lines on both sides of the ball and moving on from some Vets on this team. Defense has shown that they are frauds and can't handle physical teams. The Offense has been out of sync the entire year it seems and Allen's play has regressed some from last year. Need to build team up front that can stop the run and run the ball effectively when needed. Right now we can't do both.

9 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

People are getting stuck in the optics.  The defense gave up over 200 yards and 3 passes.  Yes they did.  How many in the second half and in the 4th quarter.  I dont think the defense is at fault.  You cant expect a defense to give up 9 points.  Buffalo had the ball inside the 10 twice to take the lead and win it.  They lost.  On to Tampa.  Probably only can lose 1 more time at most.  Get in the tournament,  see what happens.   

I mean, normally, sure.... There were winds most players have never seen before and they threw the ball 3 times.

I'm not very inclined to praise the defense, of which most of our investment resides, for holding said team, in said conditions, to 14 points and allowing them control the game by getting first downs and burning clock. 

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

Which Bills team will show up.  It all depends.  Bills are good at bouncing back.

Not this time. Every "bounce back" win was against a weak opponent

Lose to PIT, beat MIA

Lose to TEN, beat MIA

Lose to JAC, beat NYJ

Lose to IND, beat NO

3 minutes ago, damj said:

Not this time. Every "bounce back" win was against a weak opponent

Lose to PIT, beat MIA

Lose to TEN, beat MIA

Lose to JAC, beat NYJ

Lose to IND, beat NO

Tampa Bay is not invincible.  They can be beaten.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, damj said:

Yes, they can be beaten ... but we're a mess right now and losing Tre ... I don't feel good about TB

It is a tall task.  Treat is like a playoff game.  Lose and you are done mentality.  Go for broke and game plan for a victory.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nitro said:

It is a tall task.  Treat is like a playoff game.  Lose and you are done mentality.  Go for broke and game plan for a victory.

I just think this team is mentally weak right now. Low confidence, poor coaching not on the same page. If we come out and play like we can ... yes, we can win. They just haven't looked right since the bye week, and I don't seeing it change now

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, damj said:

I just think this team is mentally weak right now. Low confidence, poor coaching not on the same page. If we come out and play like we can ... yes, we can win. They just haven't looked right since the bye week, and I don't seeing it change now

I think they peaked with the KC win.  Have been an average team since then.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Not off course. We have already lost 5 gams and have 5 left. No arguing the team has regressed this year. And worse part it is the offense and coaching which should be improving still at this point. 

4 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I think it's very reasonable for people to be pissed off. Belicheck just trolled the Bills by beating them with a high school playbook. They showed on the screen during the game when it was over it has only happened a couple times in history. This was not a shootout, this was not a "the refs suck" game, this was an ultimate troll job by Belicheck by having a stat sheet that looks like a high school football game and they still won. How do you not expect people to be upset? 

Ahh yes but let's all sit around a campfire and sing kumbaya...

The Colts are right on our heals and are playing great ball, but they still have the Pats and Cardinals the next two games. That is our only saving grace right now,  the Bengals, Colts, Steelers, Raiders, Denver...they all have 2-3 big games left on their schedule, as do we. There's a lot to shake out still, but the Bills are not cruising into the playoffs that's for damn sure, the Bills are proving that they just cannot take care of business against winning teams. Maybe we can limp into the playoffs. If they lose to the Bucs and again to the Patriots, it'll be like the 2017 playoffs all over again where we do not control our destiny and we need help from team XZY.

I can be upset about the loss as much as anyone else.  but to say Belicheck trolled the Bills is absurd.  If anything he played scared last night.  They broke one long run on offense.  They had a decent drive that they kicked a field goal with.  Everything else ended with a punt.  Everyone talking like their game plan was the bees knees is crazy.  I suppose you could argue that he was so smart he knew we wouldn't make the plays when we needed to.  But JA balled out last night.  If Knox makes any of his dropped passes, Diggs catches the bomb, Breida doesn't fumble, or we don't shoot ourselves in the foot in the red zone we win that game.  

I don't think McDermott is an elite coach.  I think he is an average coach.  I do think JA is an elite QB which in my opinion is all we need to overcome an average coach. However if we had scored last night on any of those extra trips then would everyone be talking about how Belicheck was too prideful and didn't trust his QB enough to throw under the elements?  You betcha.  The final outcome changes the narrative.  That is why it is so difficult to get onto these boards after a loss.  Everyone takes such an extreme end of days stance on everything.  

I am fine if you call me a homer but I choose to be positive and also recognize that a few plays can spiral the outcome quickly.  I think we win in Foxborough next go around.  I don't know about the Bucs.  That to me is a tougher match up.  The Patriots do not look unstoppable.  Squeak into the playoffs.  If the 1 seed isn't attainable then wild card in my opinion is just as good or better than a home game.  If our offense can't run then let's go play in nicer weather and throw the $#!+ out of the ball.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The only thing I’m focusing on today.

Giants did it twice to SB wins.

Jake Delhomne led Panthers got to a SB after a meh season.

This is now the preseason.

Trent Dilfer won a SB. I dont think some of the younger fans appreciate how many chance factors had to come together for that to happen. The Bills at their best are way better than Dilfers Ravens team, they are better than most of the NFL right now. They can overcome the inept and bias officials. They can overcome Overhyped coaches like BB. They can even overcome their own coaches shooting themselves in the foot. The question is how bad do they want it?

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.