Diggs #'s way down - Is this an issue

Billsfan1972

On 11/2/2021 at 10:05 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

As I've said the Bills offense just looks a little off.  

Early on many wanted to claim Diggs #'s were down due to Sanders arrival, but that is not the case.

Elite receivers get their touches passes and catches every week & seldom a drop off, but Diggs' #'s are way down.

2020 7.94 catches/game 95.94 yards/gm 7 100 yard games

2021 6 catches/gm 71.87 yards/gm  1 100 yard game.

Kupp, Lamb, Adams & others are all doing well.  Only Hopkins (slightly injured) seems to have seen their #'s down this season.

Want to see Diggs putting up 2020 #'s soon.....

I won’t pile on here. I don’t believe it’s an issue but I would definitely like to see more balls getting thrown his way. He doesn’t have “elite” numbers this year so far. Hopefully it’s bothering you more than it’s bothering him

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Not only that, when you’re up by more than 3 scores late in the game, you’re not throwing all over the field.

Diggs targets and snaps are down.

We are consistently running new packages out there.  

Last year Diggs had 12 games where he averaged 90% or higher snap count.  This year he has just one.  In 7 games, 5 of them have been in the 70% area.  Last year, only two total.  

Now there's a stat that says something.  I did not know that.  That is what I call a fact that could have been said 7 pages ago and I would have acknowledged it.  

There may be reasons for the lower snap counts (i.e. if all run plays), but that is important.

However I will argue the score issue (and not needing him or passing as much) as through 7 games pass yards and attempts match 2020.  

33 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I won’t pile on here. I don’t believe it’s an issue but I would definitely like to see more balls getting thrown his way. He doesn’t have “elite” numbers this year so far. Hopefully it’s bothering you more than it’s bothering him

And why I posted.....  I expect him in the top 5-10 minimum, not 21st.

I just thought to this point he's been very good, but not like last year.

Is there a single Bills fan who thought he'd be 21st in the league in yards/19th receptions?  

• Like (+1) 1

If the season continues the way it’s going, Buffalo will have 3 1000 yard receivers, the ball is being spread around…Diggs is still elite, he’s drawing defenders away.  Season is long and he’ll get his, no concern…winning > stats with Diggs

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/2/2021 at 11:27 PM, Billsfan1972 said:

I do not do Fantasy....  Stating an OPINION....  Top receivers have not seen production drop & Diggs' #'s down 25%....  #'s don't lie.

Of course top receivers see production drops - and rises - from year to year.

Justin Jefferson's production is down significantly this year. Beckham has fallen off a cliff. RIdley is way down. DK Metcalf's production is way down, but it was down even before Wilson went out. Keenan Allen is down, Golladay is down, and yeah, you could say he's missed a couple of games but he's also down in YPG.

Look at Deandre Hopkins. His best year was probably 2015 when he had 111 receptions for 1521 yards. The next year he had 78 receptions for 954 yards. 2019 104 receptions for 1165.

Look at Julio Jones' best year, 2015, with 136 catches and 1871 yards. All down since then.

Mike Evans' best year was 2016, with 96 catches for 1206 yards. The next year he went for 1001, last year for 1006.

I'm pretty sure I could find a bunch of receivers beyond Cooper Kupp who are up this year also.

This is how statistics work, because it's how the world works. Things go up and down.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Of course top receivers see production drops - and rises - from year to year.

Justin Jefferson's production is down significantly this year. Beckham has fallen off a cliff. RIdley is way down. DK Metcalf's production is way down, but it was down even before Wilson went out. Keenan Allen is down, Golladay is down, and yeah, you could say he's missed a couple of games but he's also down in YPG.

Look at Deandre Hopkins. His best year was probably 2015 when he had 111 receptions for 1521 yards. The next year he had 78 receptions for 954 yards. 2019 104 receptions for 1165.

Look at Julio Jones' best year, 2015, with 136 catches and 1871 yards. All down since then.

Mike Evans' best year was 2016, with 96 catches for 1206 yards. The next year he went for 1001, last year for 1006.

I'm pretty sure I could find a bunch of receivers beyond Cooper Kupp who are up this year also.

This is how statistics work, because it's how the world works. Things go up and down.

Actually I did check that and not like Diggs....  Hopkins has been battling injuries, OBJ may be done.  DK is actually pretty much the exact same as last year (and Wilson is out).  He had 83 for 1,303 and is at 39 & 580 through 8 games this year.   Golladay, where did you find him????  Allen too 10% below 2020 #'s.....  Yep Ridley is way down, but only played 5 games, so I imagine injuries and other issues.  Jefferson has only played 6 games, averaging over 7 catches a game and 13.1 yards/catch 93.9/gm.....  Last year he averaged 5.5 catches/gm and 15.9 yards 87.5/gm.

Geez at least do your homework if you want to refute my statement!!!!!!😜

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It seems teams aren't blitzing Allen as much and playing more zone so Diggs isn't getting single man coverage as often.  I have no numbers to back this up but end thread.

Statistics says that Miami blitzed about 75% of the plays last Sunday

13 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

For the last time... Diggs numbers are down because Allen is spreading the ball to more targets.  Look at your own stats. More passes thrown.  Completion % pretty much the same.  Diggs numbers are down.  Want to know why?  Look and see whose numbers are up.  THERE IS ONLY ONE BALL TO GO AROUND.

Diggs snap count is also down 15% over the first 7 games this year compared to last year. 

This is not a problem. Rotation is how you keep players healthy.

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually I did check that and not like Diggs....  Hopkins has been battling injuries, OBJ may be done.  DK is actually pretty much the exact same as last year (and Wilson is out).  He had 83 for 1,303 and is at 39 & 580 through 8 games this year.   Golladay, where did you find him????  Allen too 10% below 2020 #'s.....  Yep Ridley is way down, but only played 5 games, so I imagine injuries and other issues.  Jefferson has only played 6 games, averaging over 7 catches a game and 13.1 yards/catch 93.9/gm.....  Last year he averaged 5.5 catches/gm and 15.9 yards 87.5/gm.

Geez at least do your homework if you want to refute my statement!!!!!!😜

You're a problem. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Diggs snap count is also down 15% over the first 7 games this year compared to last year. 

This is not a problem. Rotation is how you keep players healthy.

You're a problem. 

Why????  Because Thurman#1 posted completely wrong stats......  Sorry for correcting statements that were absolutely wrong.   

Asking a question is one thing, but rather then inviting discussion you are defending your original question and framing dissenting opinions as attacks.  That doesn't sound like inviting discussion.  It sounds like you already have an opinion locked in stone, are only looking for others to support you and getting somewhat angry that nobody is.

You asked the question.  Sorry if you don't like the answers given, but that's what you asked for.

54 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Asking a question is one thing, but rather then inviting discussion you are defending your original question and framing dissenting opinions as attacks.  That doesn't sound like inviting discussion.  It sounds like you already have an opinion locked in stone, are only looking for others to support you and getting somewhat angry that nobody is.

You asked the question.  Sorry if you don't like the answers given, but that's what you asked for.

Those who post cogently I have acknowledged.  Those who post comments and stats that are wrong, I call out.  All stars (ie. Adams) are double teamed and defensed against and sure Diggs was last year too.  If their #'s haven't dropped, why has Diggs?

Again it was a discussion.

Edited by Billsfan1972

Could be a number of reasons.  Josh has Manny now and is looking his way a lot.  Josh has struggled at times trying to hit the big play too often.  Teams are scheming to take away Diggs more.  Daboll could be purposely not using Diggs as much and saving some things for later in the season.  Given the amount of receiving talent they have across the board,  it really could be a number of things.  Doesn’t mean there is some kind of problem.  And there’s lots of football still to be played.  I wouldn’t try to read too much into some incomplete stats. If they weren’t winning it would be a problem.  All that matters is wins.

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

100%

Why Bills Aren't Eager to Establish Offensive Identity (msn.com)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/why-bills-aren-t-eager-to-establish-offensive-identity/ar-AAQkc3I?ocid=msedgntp

Excerpt...

Bills strive for offense that can adapt to any situation.

Throwing the ball to Stefon Diggs, who caught an NFL-high 127 passes last season, is not the primary identity the Buffalo Bills' offense wants to present.

Pounding the ball to their running backs with two tight ends and a fullback up ahead? That's not them, either.

What about designed plays to get mobile quarterback Josh Allen out of the pocket or RPOs that give him the option to change a play even after the snap?

Nope.

The Bills, who lead the NFL in points scored (while also giving up the fewest), want to be known as a team that can do all that and then some, knowing that no defense other than the University of Georgia's can take away everything in today's game.

They believe they have the personnel to take whatever is being given. But they're probably not all the way there yet.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Also probably looking to not wear down Diggs and Beasley so much during the regular season, if possible.  Recall how banged up they were for the playoffs last year and how little separation they could get vs KC in the AFC championship game.  It's kind of surprising Diggs numbers are even as high as they are if you consider that. 

I'd be keeping them in bubble wrap as much as possible until the end as long as they're winning games.  Helps Josh establish better rapport with the other receivers and TE's and maybe even the RB's.  I personally think he should be looking to check down to the RB's a little more.  They seem to be open underneath with some space to run.  Maybe doing that a little more would open up the intermediate game some more. 

How the heck is this 9 pages long (now 10 pages)?  It’s not rocket science.  Ball is being spread around, that simple.  The fact their is 9 pages of debate on this is mind blowing.  

PS:  Last year our number 2 WR missed most the year and our TE wasn’t much of a factor.  Therefore Diggs and Cole got fed the ball a lot more.  Diggs I believe led the NFL in targets even.  This year we have Sanders and Knox playing big roles, plus throwing to our backs more too.  

Again, not rocket science.  To be concerned about this would be foolish.  It’s so much better to be spreading the ball around than force feeding one guy.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/whats-wrong-stefon-diggs-actually-093102343.html

ORCHARD PARK – There has been a sense for most of the 2021 season that wide receiver Stefon Diggshasn’t been the same dynamic presence in the Buffalo Bills offense that he was a year ago.

Then you compare the numbers, and it’s really not true. Yes, he’s down a tick across the board, but it’s certainly nothing that would raise a red flag and make you think Diggs is not getting open, or Josh Allen isn’t looking for him.

“The right throw is the open throw,” Allen said. “Whether they’re throwing a safety on top of him, or single high coverage, whatever it is, the guys that are open, I’m typically gonna try to throw the ball to them.

54 catches for 695 yards with three touchdowns and his yards per target was 8.80. 

has 48 catches on 73 targets for 588 yards and three touchdowns, an average yards per target of 8.05 

On 11/2/2021 at 10:05 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

As I've said the Bills offense just looks a little off.  

Early on many wanted to claim Diggs #'s were down due to Sanders arrival, but that is not the case.

Elite receivers get their touches passes and catches every week & seldom a drop off, but Diggs' #'s are way down.

2020 7.94 catches/game 95.94 yards/gm 7 100 yard games

2021 6 catches/gm 71.87 yards/gm  1 100 yard game.

Kupp, Lamb, Adams & others are all doing well.  Only Hopkins (slightly injured) seems to have seen their #'s down this season.

Want to see Diggs putting up 2020 #'s soon.....

Feeling any better after today?

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/5/2021 at 10:08 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

How the heck is this 9 pages long (now 10 pages)?  It’s not rocket science.  Ball is being spread around, that simple.  The fact their is 9 pages of debate on this is mind blowing.  

PS:  Last year our number 2 WR missed most the year and our TE wasn’t much of a factor.  Therefore Diggs and Cole got fed the ball a lot more.  Diggs I believe led the NFL in targets even.  This year we have Sanders and Knox playing big roles, plus throwing to our backs more too.  

Again, not rocket science.  To be concerned about this would be foolish.  It’s so much better to be spreading the ball around than force feeding one guy.

People just have to have things to complain about there are real reason to complain about certain aspects of this team this is not one of them

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Feeling any better after today?

Yes & I said in the original thread, that it seemed to be a reflection of the whole offense being off and was an observation backed up by statistics through 7 games.  Yesterday's announce team on TV said the exact same thing (maybe there should be a thread complaining about them😜).

However this was the Jets, who have allowed 175 (54,31,45,45) points the last four games (heck NE scored more vs. them), so I'd temper some of the excitement as again the offense sputtered the first 27 minutes.

And today he is 7th in the league in receiving.  Feeling much better.

Edited by Billsfan1972

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.