Zero's Chiefs VS Bills breakdown

Zerovoltz

Here is what the Bills can expect VS the Chiefs.  

Let me give a little perspective on KC's 2-2 season to date.

KC has been BAD on defense. I'll get to that.  The important part to know is that KC's two losses were by a combined 7 points and while having a -7 TO ratio.  Both games were winnable to the end.  Both games would have been W's without the TO's.  That said, KC is a handful of plays either way where they could be 0-4 or 4-0.  Keep that in mind as I break this down.

On offense, KC is a little bit a different team this year.  The new line, especially the G-C-G combo has been effective at getting a push in the run game.  This has allowed KC to be more efficient at 3rd down and has caused teams to pay attention to the run, or not, at their peril.  KC has been able to get yards on the ground at a better rate this year.  So far teams have NOT committed anything to stopping the run and instead we've seen teams continue to play a deep shell type D that aims to take away Hill or Kelce or both by bracketing them..  KC is a team used to big chunk plays on offense, but in the past couple weeks, KC has just taken what teams have given with tons of underneath stuff and allowing runs.  KC has been patient enough the last 2 games to just take what the defenses ahve been giving.  KC had SEVERAL long drives VS the Chargers doing this, but kept turning the ball over deep in Charger terriroty, leaving several points on the board.  It was the same today VS the Eagles....several long TD drives just taking the short stuff they were giving up...and run run run...all the way to the end zone.  It's not exactly what were are used to seeing.  KC is still scoring at a high rate..and unless stopped by a turnover, they aren't getting stopped. KC has barely punted all season, and didn't punt at all VS the Eagles.  KC has shown some pass blocking problems...especially form the 2 tackles...they can be beaten....the difference from last year is the G-C-G has been quite effective and Mahomes has been good at just stepping up into the pocket when the Tackles get beaten or ride the rushers wide and around to the rear.  the G-C-G while solid, can struggle a play or 2 during the game when a stunt isn't passed off or handled correctly. Genrerally theyv'e done well but room to improve there. 

In the Run game, the line is getting good push and making sizable holes even.  I will tell you that CEH (our lead back) isn't very dynamic.  He gets good yardage when a hole is open, but nothing more than that...he doesn't make people miss and he tends to go down on first contact.

The passing game is pretty much what you'd expect.  A steady dose of Hill and Kelce...along with some jet sweeps and WR screen to Hardman.  

KC's offense has only been stopped by KC itself whenever it turns the ball over.  Otherwise..playing shell hasn't done anything but make KC run more plays.  Over 30 first downs a game last couple.  If the Bills D can get a stop or 2, it would go a long way to winning the game....

KC's D has been BAD.  It isn't fast, it doesn't rush the passer well, and it also can't stop the run with hit's undersized interior lineman and slow LB's.  The corners aren't very good either...not as good as what we run out last year.  Some of you might remember my analysis of last years AFCCG where I informed you that Kc's secondary was top 3 VS wideouts in the NFL last year....and why that wasn't good for the Bills.  That played out in the game.  This year is NOT the same.  KC doesn't have Breeland, I also beleive honey badger has lost half a step.  The others defenders just aren't as good...the Bills wideouts should have an easier time of it compared to last year.  KC has been running out Hitchens Nieman and Bolton at LB.  Hitchens is slow and way overpaid. Nieman shouldn't be on an NFL roster, let alone a practice squad.  Bolton (rookie 2nd rounder) has been good, but he isn't great in coverage yet.  Hitchens and Nieman are easy targets in the run and pass game.  Often getting swallowed up by O lineman, and slow to get to a spot in the run game...and slow in coverage as well.  One improvement Kc may make VS the Bills is LB Willie Gay should be back...if so, he offers A TON more spead and coverage abilty and potentially makes this AWFUL D, slighly less awful.  On the Dline, KC has moved Chris Jones to DE.  This has not worked out well.  He's not been very effective as a pass rusher out there...can't set an edge in the run game iether.  The guys KC starts/rotates in at DT are LIGHT.  And for being light dudes, they also dont' rush the passer well.  They get ROLLED OVER in the run game easily.  So, KC's line is both small, AND ineffecitve at rushing the passer...it SUCKS.

As a diehard, Chiefs fan....I do not expect my beloved Chiefs to win this game.  I see Buffalo as the better team overall, with a QB that negates KC's normal advantage at QB in most games.  Not this one.  Allen is the man.  I can't see the KC defense forcing so much as 1 punt for the upcoming game....KC will hope for a mistake/turnover or 2 because we aren't stopping you guys without that.  If the Bills do not make an error, they should win the game.  It may be that you get one or two stops and that's ball game.  

KC would need to be turnover free and proably not have to punt to be the winner.  That's alot ot ask for.  Hate to say it, but I think this is a Bills win....it's there for the taking.  I don't htink this is a question of KC stopping you guys...but for your team to just have it in their heads they they can win this game and then go and do it.

I hope KC takes it, but frankly, this is the Bills game to take if they can play their A game.

GO CHIEFS!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 35

What I think is starting to become apparent with the Chiefs is they have not drafted well the past few seasons. 

Which makes me even more amazed that Hill-Kelce-Mahomes is still the unstoppable backbone of this team.

Hardman has not really been incorporated in this offense, it’s still basically those 2 pass catchers, with the random big game from Pringle or Robinson.

My lasting memory of the AFC Championship game was the Bills playing 10-15 yards off of Hill and watching him eat that cushion in less than 2 seconds, or Kelce running wide open.

How the Bills try to lock down those two seems to mystery of the Chiefs. 

But you’re right to point to the defense, because the other half of that AFC Championship game was Allen looked rattled and the Bills WRs being abused and getting no separation.

Knox has emerged this season, and Sanders is faster and better than Brown. Also, the Bills have worked on their run game and show some willingness now to stick with it.

Outside of the obvious Allen playmaking, the Bills Offensive Line is susceptible to a horrible outing. They have to play their butts off next Sunday. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Bills 35-21

and we don’t need our A game

This game will be on the Bills coaching staff as much as the players.   The staff has to put a game plan in place that is fearless in execution.  They need to figure out how to convert FGs to TD.    The game  will be won on the sidelines. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Like most games, but in particular this one, I think it comes down to the trenches. Whichever team can effectively get pressure on the opposing QB while limiting the running game will probably come out the winner. I’m a little nervous about how much pressure our O-line has been allowing. We’ll see if the D-line can hold up against the Chiefs attack.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

KC has been BAD on defense. I'll get to that.  The important part to know is that KC's two losses were by a combined 7 points and while having a -7 TO ratio.  Both games were winnable to the end.  Both games would have been W's without the TO's.  That said, KC is a handful of plays either way where they could be 0-4 or 4-0.  Keep that in mind as I break this down.

On offense, KC is a little bit a different team this year.  The new line, especially the G-C-G combo has been effective at getting a push in the run game.  This has allowed KC to be more efficient at 3rd down and has caused teams to pay attention to the run, or not, at their peril.  KC has been able to get yards on the ground at a better rate this year.  So far teams have NOT committed anything to stopping the run and instead we've seen teams continue to play a deep shell type D that aims to take away Hill or Kelce or both by bracketing them..  KC is a team used to big chunk plays on offense, but in the past couple weeks, KC has just taken what teams have given with tons of underneath stuff and allowing runs.  KC has been patient enough the last 2 games to just take what the defenses ahve been giving.  KC had SEVERAL long drives VS the Chargers doing this, but kept turning the ball over deep in Charger terriroty, leaving several points on the board.  It was the same today VS the Eagles....several long TD drives just taking the short stuff they were giving up...and run run run...all the way to the end zone.  It's not exactly what were are used to seeing.  KC is still scoring at a high rate..and unless stopped by a turnover, they aren't getting stopped. KC has barely punted all season, and didn't punt at all VS the Eagles.  KC has shown some pass blocking problems...especially form the 2 tackles...they can be beaten....the difference from last year is the G-C-G has been quite effective and Mahomes has been good at just stepping up into the pocket when the Tackles get beaten or ride the rushers wide and around to the rear.  the G-C-G while solid, can struggle a play or 2 during the game when a stunt isn't passed off or handled correctly. Genrerally theyv'e done well but room to improve there. 

In the Run game, the line is getting good push and making sizable holes even.  I will tell you that CEH (our lead back) isn't very dynamic.  He gets good yardage when a hole is open, but nothing more than that...he doesn't make people miss and he tends to go down on first contact.

The passing game is pretty much what you'd expect.  A steady dose of Hill and Kelce...along with some jet sweeps and WR screen to Hardman.  

KC's offense has only been stopped by KC itself whenever it turns the ball over.  Otherwise..playing shell hasn't done anything but make KC run more plays.  Over 30 first downs a game last couple.  If the Bills D can get a stop or 2, it would go a long way to winning the game....

KC's D has been BAD.  It isn't fast, it doesn't rush the passer well, and it also can't stop the run with hit's undersized interior lineman and slow LB's.  The corners aren't very good either...not as good as what we run out last year.  Some of you might remember my analysis of last years AFCCG where I informed you that Kc's secondary was top 3 VS wideouts in the NFL last year....and why that wasn't good for the Bills.  That played out in the game.  This year is NOT the same.  KC doesn't have Breeland, I also beleive honey badger has lost half a step.  The others defenders just aren't as good...the Bills wideouts should have an easier time of it compared to last year.  KC has been running out Hitchens Nieman and Bolton at LB.  Hitchens is slow and way overpaid. Nieman shouldn't be on an NFL roster, let alone a practice squad.  Bolton (rookie 2nd rounder) has been good, but he isn't great in coverage yet.  Hitchens and Nieman are easy targets in the run and pass game.  Often getting swallowed up by O lineman, and slow to get to a spot in the run game...and slow in coverage as well.  One improvement Kc may make VS the Bills is LB Willie Gay should be back...if so, he offers A TON more spead and coverage abilty and potentially makes this AWFUL D, slighly less awful.  On the Dline, KC has moved Chris Jones to DE.  This has not worked out well.  He's not been very effective as a pass rusher out there...can't set an edge in the run game iether.  The guys KC starts/rotates in at DT are LIGHT.  And for being light dudes, they also dont' rush the passer well.  They get ROLLED OVER in the run game easily.  So, KC's line is both small, AND ineffecitve at rushing the passer...it SUCKS.

As a diehard, Chiefs fan....I do not expect my beloved Chiefs to win this game.  I see Buffalo as the better team overall, with a QB that negates KC's normal advantage at QB in most games.  Not this one.  Allen is the man.  I can't see the KC defense forcing so much as 1 punt for the upcoming game....KC will hope for a mistake/turnover or 2 because we aren't stopping you guys without that.  If the Bills do not make an error, they should win the game.  It may be that you get one or two stops and that's ball game.  

KC would need to be turnover free and proably not have to punt to be the winner.  That's alot ot ask for.  Hate to say it, but I think this is a Bills win....it's there for the taking.  I don't htink this is a question of KC stopping you guys...but for your team to just have it in their heads they they can win this game and then go and do it.

I hope KC takes it, but frankly, this is the Bills game to take if they can play their A game.

GO CHIEFS!

Good objective take.

I expect an over/under of 65 lol.  

Nothing against our D....with Milano likely out (I'm assuming), it's the one guy after White we just can't be down against KC.  That said.  We had him in the AFCC and looked like garbage.  

Total toss up.  I hope they put on a show like that Rams-Chiefs game a few years back.  

2 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Like most games, but in particular this one, I think it comes down to the trenches. Whichever team can effectively get pressure on the opposing QB while limiting the running game will probably come out the winner. I’m a little nervous about how much pressure our O-line has been allowing. We’ll see if the D-line can hold up against the Chiefs attack.

This

• Agree 1

Honestly the Chiefs got away with illegal contact pretty much every pass play last year...and good for them...they dared the refs to call it every play and they didn't. Took a page out of the Legion Of Boom playbook that Seattle's D used to do...

Bills need to be more aware of their attempts at this if they try it again.

Hoping the Bills don't play scared on F and just play their game. Did not like either game they played against KC last year as I felt they were too timid and at some points afraid of KC

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I know some people feel like it’s only one game and it doesn’t define the season, 

BS this game means F EVERYTHING even more then  the patriots game last year 

Edited by Putin

20 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I don't know how much our Bills value this game. The objective is to peak in January not October. Yet this is clearly a very important game. For home field advantage. In the race for the bye week. In our attempt to break the curse KC has on us..... lotsa good reasons.

McD will not allow us to make this game our Super Bowl Though....

I couldn't watch the game today, how'd Allen look?

I wonder if Allen plays well next week we could still lose?

I think we lost one game last year when our WRs were healthy and Allen played well. That was against Arizona....

We are very difficult to beat when Allen plays well....

First KC last game Josh had a off shoulder injury that affected Josh's throwing Motion.

Second KC we could not pay to have a good healthy WR on the field.

KC will feel pressured this game.. Our defense is way better and we have a healthy Josh Allen and healthy better WR set. That is just the difference on our offense.

On defense we are top 5 at least. Buffalo will score points and the only question will be, can our defense limit KC's offense to FG's and or Punts.

Time will tell but I think over all we have the better more complete team..

38-32 Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

GO CHIEFS!

Good analysis the chiefs definitely have major holes heck Jalen Hurts lit them up today and the Bills D is waaay better then the unit that left KC in January…we definitely can win as long as we take care of the ball and get over the psychological toll of having to beat these guys to get to the top of the mountain 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, ganesh said:

This game will be on the Bills coaching staff as much as the players.   The staff has to put a game plan in place that is fearless in execution.  They need to figure out how to convert FGs to TD.    The game  will be won on the sidelines. 

Indeed.  It is notable that while the Bills only punted once today, they had a TOD, a pick, and FG from 33, 26, 23, and 21 yds.  While those are all "outside the red zone", they show that the Bills are still allowing long drives to stall out, and whatever the problem is, that's got to be corrected and fast.  We should have had at least 8 more points today

and yes, I'm greedy.

• Like (+1) 5

Obviously a statement game for buffalo and more important for us long term than them probably. Nobody thinks they’ll lose enough to miss the playoffs. 
This is the game for buffalos defense to prove they’re elite. We can’t be bullied again or I would have to consider that a really big issue going forward. 

49 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Agreed. Daboll laid a huge egg last time we played them. He is going to need to understand that to win this game, we are going to need to run, and then go play action and lots

of short stuff. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Indeed.  It is notable that while the Bills only punted once today, they had a TOD, a pick, and FG from 33, 26, 23, and 21 yds.  While those are all "outside the red zone", they show that the Bills are still allowing long drives to stall out, and whatever the problem is, that's got to be corrected and fast.  We should have had at least 8 more points today

and yes, I'm greedy.

Hapless...KC has been absolutely dreadful as a red zone D (they are dreadful no matter where on the field)  ...but if KC holds your drives to FG's a couple times...that will be bad...and vice versa...if you hold KC to field goals...all the better for you all.

To those of you recalling the Chiefs DB's being a hard problem to solve last year.....take my word for it....it's very different this year.  No Bashaud Breeland, who was a perfect fit in the Spagnuollo system...Charvarious Ward is the other starting Corner.....he's been hurt and didn't play today...Honey Badger has lost a step.  Dan Sorenson was slow last year...he still is and still can't cover well or tackle half the time.  Sneed still on the team and was great as a rookie...he's still playing OK, but right now, as the soccer guys say...he's not in top form at the momment.  The tother DB's are first round washouts from other teams and they are showing so far why they washed out.  this is NOT the same secondary you saw before....not close...they play a ton of soft zone now too instead of man.  

I am freaking terrified the Bills can and will throw a 50 up on the scoreboard.  IT's that bad here.  Mahomes will have to be perfect and put up 51 to win...that's where this team is.  

This is going to be a different kind of season in KC...unlike the last 3....we aren't getting the 1 seed.  We are going to lose some games where we just can't score enough....the idea is to just get to the playoffs, hopefully getting hot and healthy at the right time and see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Appreciate the insight and agree with pretty much all points. KC Defense isn't very good, and I feel like they've lost a small step on offense. Which doesn't make a ton of sense to me so it's probably just wishful thinking - they only really lost Watkins and have always went with Hill/Kelce and a random supporting cast. It just feels like the supporting cast is more beatable this year and their stars are more isolated? Again wishful thinking as Hill proved once again today what he's capable of, and if it isn't him it's Kelce. But hey if you can take away those two? The running game hasn't really shown up yet.

Gonna be a dogfight. I'm taking next Monday off.

27 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I appreciate the insight but I don't believe for one second you think the Chiefs are losing.  You'll be here next Monday saying geez my team is more dominant than I thought.

Doc....I'd LOVE to be here right now telling you how this was going KC's way...like I was in here doing prior to the AFCCG....

Of course I want KC to win...I want the D to look better than it has and the O to put up 40 etc...and then come in here and say...I was right.

I called the AFCCG like I saw it.  I thought KC was a little better, and I laid it out there why I thought so.  I am calling this like I see it.  The Bills have the better team.  The Chiefs defense is really bad.  That doesn't mean KC can't win....when you have the QB, it is possible to win games where your team isn't that good.  I watched John Elway do that to many many very good Chiefs "teams" over the years.  If KC does win...I'll be here...but it won't be to gloat...this isn't the kind of KC team to be bragging on...and if they lose I'll be here too...to congratulate you all and hopeful to see you again in the playoffs.

On a side note....do take a look on Trey Smith...who I've bragged on since training camp...he's looking really good.  So there is that.

• Like (+1) 3

Ya I think the Bills defense is just on another level, especially compared to KC.

I have their D in a high end fantasy league so been paying attention. 

Compared to what the Cowboys D did to Philly, KCs looked very bad. 

I still forsee a slugfest

But

I think the Bills rush game is the X factor.

Allen, Motor and Moss have been phenomenal on the ground for the 3rd straight week.

50 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I appreciate the insight but I don't believe for one second you think the Chiefs are losing.  You'll be here next Monday saying geez my team is more dominant than I thought.

I am kind of with Doc on this one.. Seriously as a bills fan with a great QB I would never think that we are going to loose. I would be optimistic and positive for my team saying "we took them twice last year, we can take them again" KC is a dangerous team and If were my team I would not be going on my opponents board acting all doom and gloom.  This almost has a troll feel to it.

Just saying.

My question is why does KC feel the need to play Chris Jones at DE full-time. Is it because Frank Clark has missed time. Seems like what makes Chris Jones special is his quickness/power combo vs guards and centers. Also is the plan to keep him at DE for the rest of season.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

My question is why does KC feel the need to play Chris Jones at DE full-time. Is it because Frank Clark has missed time. Seems like what makes Chris Jones special is his quickness/power combo vs guards and centers. Also is the plan to keep him at DE for the rest of season.

Agree. He is a 3 tech, not a defensive end. Can you move him about the line sometimes to create mismatches? Sure, but using him predominantly on the edge is just putting one of your best players out of position by choice. Bad move IMO. 

As for this game it would be a huge get for the Bills. To go two games up on KC and with the H2H..... look at the rest of our schedule and tell me where they are making that ground (basically a 3 game lead) back? It would effectively knock them out of the #1 seed discussion in week 5. This was always a big game, but with the way it now sets up it is a massive game. It is a must win for Kansas City, and while it isn't a must win for Buffalo the reward for winning is huge. It almost feels like a playoff game.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Doc....I'd LOVE to be here right now telling you how this was going KC's way...like I was in here doing prior to the AFCCG....

Of course I want KC to win...I want the D to look better than it has and the O to put up 40 etc...and then come in here and say...I was right.

I called the AFCCG like I saw it.  I thought KC was a little better, and I laid it out there why I thought so.  I am calling this like I see it.  The Bills have the better team.  The Chiefs defense is really bad.  That doesn't mean KC can't win....when you have the QB, it is possible to win games where your team isn't that good.  I watched John Elway do that to many many very good Chiefs "teams" over the years.  If KC does win...I'll be here...but it won't be to gloat...this isn't the kind of KC team to be bragging on...and if they lose I'll be here too...to congratulate you all and hopeful to see you again in the playoffs.

On a side note....do take a look on Trey Smith...who I've bragged on since training camp...he's looking really good.  So there is that.

That's just my gut feeling as I don't think my team would ever lose if I had Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill firing at all cylinders.  Here's some other factors to consider....

-Steve Spagnola has Josh Allen and the Bills offense number thus far.  Combine that with a home primetime game with our offense in a hostile environment and your defense will be better.  They have a chip on their shoulder and may be getting some starters back this week from injury.

-Your offensive line continues to improve each week and CEH is heating up.

-The Chiefs tend to play to the level of their competition and I fully expect their A game like last year's AFC Championship game.

-Milano is probably out and Mahomes should be able to feast with Kelce in the middle and/or gash us with the running game.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's just my gut feeling as I don't think my team would ever lose if I had Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill firing at all cylinders.  Here's some other factors to consider....

-Steve Spagnola has Josh Allen and the Bills offense number thus far.  Combine that with a home primetime game with our offense in a hostile environment and your defense will be better.  They have a chip on their shoulder and may be getting some starters back this week from injury.

-The Chiefs tend to play to the level of their competition and I fully expect their A game like last year's AFC Championship game.

-Milano is probably out and Mahomes should be able to feast with Kelce in the middle and/or gash us with the running game.

I wish I was this optimistic about my own team!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. He is a 3 tech, not a defensive end. Can you move him about the line sometimes to create mismatches? Sure, but using him predominantly on the edge is just putting one of your best players out of position by choice. Bad move IMO. 

As for this game it would be a huge get for the Bills. To go two games up on KC and with the H2H..... look at the rest of our schedule and tell me where they are making that ground (basically a 3 game lead) back? It would effectively knock them out of the #1 seed discussion in week 5. This was always a big game, but with the way it now sets up it is a massive game. It is a must win for Kansas City, and while it isn't a must win for Buffalo the reward for winning is huge. It almost feels like a playoff game.

Totally agree on your points as well.

58 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I forgot where I heard it might have been PFF but it made sense. They said in order to beat the chiefs you have to be able to run the ball because Steve Spagnola calls a lot of coverages that can confuse even the best QB's so by being able to run the ball you limit the amount of times you have to face those exotic coverages. Im paraphrasing but that was the main point and I agree. 

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I am kind of with Doc on this one.. Seriously as a bills fan with a great QB I would never think that we are going to loose. I would be optimistic and positive for my team saying "we took them twice last year, we can take them again" KC is a dangerous team and If were my team I would not be going on my opponents board acting all doom and gloom.  This almost has a troll feel to it.

Just saying.

Your take on the OP says more about your worldview than the OP. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Just saying.

Of course he is trolling…he is just very subtle about it.

He will say otherwise, but who goes on another teams boards to do anything but troll.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

it’s an old cliche but this is really a must win game for the Bills. I say this not because losing will keep them out of the playoffs. Instead, it’s a psychology thing. The Bills need to lift the monster off their backs. KC is clearly the monster for the Bills in the AFC.  If the Bills lose and then see KC again in the offseason the Bills will have their heads a little off. Go Bills - this is a winnable game.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

and yes, I'm greedy.

Actually, on all 4 FG, the ball was snapped from inside the red zone. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.