9/26/21 GameDay Bills vs. WFT Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

3rd round pick is pretty high for a guy that can't beat out Zimmer or Butler for playing time. He is two years removed from the ACL injury. 

Agree Basham is getting the AJ treatment. Would be nice to get him some live reps soon. If Star continues to look good maybe they can sit Butler one week and let Boogie play the role of swing DT/DE.

Don’t say “can’t beat out Zimmer” like he hasn’t been balling. Zimmer won his job and is playing well. 

Defense pitched a shutout last week and we are asking why the same three guys aren’t dressing this week.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Big C said:

Don’t say “can’t beat out Zimmer” like he hasn’t been balling. Zimmer won his job and is playing well. 

A 3rd round pick that can't beat out an UDFA that bounced around the NFL and CFL is not hyperbole. Zimmer is one of those good glue hustle guys all teams need. He's not talented enough to be your starter but he is solid enough to make some plays and not be a liability. And he's cheap. Championship teams need those guys and guys on rookie deals if they want to keep paying the stars big dollars.

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This is another good test to see where this Bills team is at mentally. 
Let’s see what Daboll is working on this week with the offense.  Dab’s is always trying something, just hope he starts finding the right buttons to push like he did last year. 
Let’s see what Frazier cooks up to keep this D looking elite. 

With the aggressiveness of the WFT d-line we should be seeing misdirections and screens sprinkled throughout.

• Agree 2

Eyes on the prize fellas, 

Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, Forward Progress said:

I had plans to come to this game with my sons and some friends.  Unfortunately, the border is still closed to Canadians unless we fly, because flying makes border crossing safe somehow.    Just venting... GO BILLS!!!

Well its true.  Its way safer to be around a ton of people in the airport and confined space on an airplane than it is with just your family in a car.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

A 3rd round pick that can't beat out an UDFA that bounced around the NFL and CFL is not hyperbole. Zimmer is one of those good glue hustle guys all teams need. He's not talented enough to be your starter but he is solid enough to make some plays and not be a liability. And he's cheap. Championship teams need those guys and guys on rookie deals if they want to keep paying the stars big dollars.

It’s phrasing. It implies that one player played so poorly that he couldn’t beat out some scrub. Why is it that and not one player had such a good camp that he won his job?

And Harry was a late third round pick. So while that’s not hyperbole it is again phrasing that tries to make it sound like he was drafted with lofty expectations or something when in he was nearly a day 3 pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Haven't really seen much McKenzie on those little pop pass/jet sweeps yet this year. Agree this may be the week it's unleashed.

i pray they dont do that this game. WSH DEs will blow that up so fast

Just now, balln said:

Need a NE / brady like 2 TEs, RBs type of passing game

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I’ll give you this; nobody knows hyperbole like you.🤦‍♂️

Just now, balln said:

I don’t want them to actually give it to mckenzie because I agree they’ll probably blow it up, but I am mind boggled they haven’t used the jet motion more to slow down opposing pass rushes. Just the motion of it gives you at least an extra second delay on pass rush.

I also don’t know why we only use mckenzie in that role. I have to believe sanders and Beasley can do it on occasion too. Heck I just watched Tremble in Carolina take a similar play for a touchdown 

42 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Is Harrison Phillips officially a bust now?

I'm a bit surprised both Obada and Basham are inactive.

I'm not reading too much into Phillips being inactive in that he plays best in Stars role and for the most part, Star only plays on 1st down running plays and maybe short yardage.  So do you really need a backup for someone who plays as few snaps as he does.  Don't need to spell him and in a pinch either Zimmer or Butler could fill in for that role.

37 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

What is up with Obada? I thought he was going to be a major piece this year...

Too many still ahead of him that project to be better.  I could see by later in the year both Basham and Obada potentially playing in place of either Hughes or Addison or both.  Certainly too if someone gets injured, they'd be active the following week.

What happened to Marquez Stevenson?  Did he get put on IR, don't recall?

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'm not reading too much into Phillips being inactive in that he plays best in Stars role and for the most part, Star only plays on 1st down running plays and maybe short yardage.  So do you really need a backup for someone who plays as few snaps as he does.  Don't need to spell him and in a pinch either Zimmer or Butler could fill in for that role.

Too many still ahead of him that project to be better.  I could see by later in the year both Basham and Obada potentially playing in place of either Hughes or Addison or both.  Certainly too if someone gets injured, they'd be active the following week.

What happened to Marquez Stevenson?  Did he get put on IR, don't recall?

Yep. Good deep roster.

Marquez is on IR, yes.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

With the aggressiveness of the WFT d-line we should be seeing misdirections and screens sprinkled throughout.

We should but Daboll doesn't have a great track record on screen plays. Morse should be a beast on screen plays as he is best blocking in space. Not sure if any of the other linemen are good at running screens.