How about Diggs in the backfield 🤷‍♂️(Occasionally instead of Isaiah)

Maybe not Diggs in the backfield but I hope to see more of a more effective run game this week.

I'd love to see runs out of the gun that didn't look all clumsy and uncoordinated.

And in addition to that more passes from under center so we can run from under center and not have it be obvious that we are running when under center....

Kind of ornery with regards to Daboll after that Stealer game....

We have work to do.

A lot of it.

Everywhere on offense.

Just the OL alone is a ton of week.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Diggs was a backfield regular in Minn.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more of it here, to be honest. 

That’s when they didn’t see his value. We see his value and the risk/reward on end arounds is not worth it.  We try this and he gets hurt, and this board will explode.  Keep him on the outside where he is most dangerous.  McKenzie is good at the gadget stuff.

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, without a drought said:

Yeah, he did a average 6 carries a season in Minnesota.

It was more about where he lined up and his presnap motion, than taking handoffs.

He'd start in the backfield and go in motion, screens, and they would do alot off of that. It was a big part of their offense and it surprised me when he got here, that he has only been on the outside, without any variation. 

Edited by Captain_Quint

8 hours ago, without a drought said:

Yeah, he did a average 6 carries a season in Minnesota.

That’s the idea… or on a jet sweep, 1-3 times a game max. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How bout Moss in the backfield

That too

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

9 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Yeah that. He broke some 20-30 yards plays. Got a backfield touch once every couple games. 

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

That’s when they didn’t see his value. We see his value and the risk/reward on end arounds is not worth it.  We try this and he gets hurt, and this board will explode.  Keep him on the outside where he is most dangerous.  McKenzie is good at the gadget stuff.

Don’t use Diggs on a reverse because he may get hurt? 

they probably shouldn’t throw to him either unless he can get out of bounds…

• Like (+1) 1

• Over 29 years of fanhood changed the title to How about Diggs in the backfield 🤷‍♂️(Occasionally instead of Isaiah)

It’s not just injuries, but he’s more of a threat outside and can hurt opposing defenses, hence the #1 WR in the NFL last year in catches and yards.  We already have someone for end around, and Breida runs as fast as Diggs.  Breida also has the frame for a full shot by a LB.  Diggs is much better cutting and juking downfield turning 14 into 30 yards.

38 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Once and a while - exactly instead of McKenzie on those few plays why not your best player? 

The Chiefs are never afraid to do this with Hill and Kelce. Daboll seems to get kind of stuck on maintaining very specific roles for each player. I wonder how much that hurts us when we’re up against quality defenses. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I really liked Breida in the role of Mckenszie on jet sweeps and bubble screens. Not permanently but occasionally spelling him. Breida is faster, smoother runner with just enough wiggle to break it at anytime. Mckenszie is fast but he is a choppy runner that has to gear down to change direction and set up blocks which allows defenders to catch up and make tackles. This was evident on his kick off return against Pittsburg which should of been a house call TD. If his vision and ability to set up blockers while maintaining a top  end speed were there he would have elite return qualities.  That is the reason Stevenson is a must keep as a returner. Top end speed with the ability to have very subtle variations in speed which helps him change direction, set up blocks and vision and understanding angles. Mckenszie will serve the Bills more in the  future as a reliable slot receiver after Beasley.

40 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Why not Christian Wade or Ertz in the backfield.  For as much as we talk about these guys, the coaches never seem to utilize them.

You're a Bad Man (tm)

12 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Diggs has quickness and speed.

Daboll has tried reverses and sweeps with Beasley and with John Brown and if I'm not mistaken a few times with Diggs.  But McKenzie has more speed and more quickness.

I also think we have some "tells" for those plays that are allowing teams to predict them accurately because they seem to be failing more often

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

The Chiefs are never afraid to do this with Hill and Kelce. Daboll seems to get kind of stuck on maintaining very specific roles for each player. I wonder how much that hurts us when we’re up against quality defenses. 

I disagree with this.  I have seen Daboll try other players in these roles.  It didn't work, so after a couple trials he abandoned it.

By the way I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen Kelce running a reverse or a sweep.  Hill runs them because he's by far the fastest and quickest player on the Chiefs (which until Stevenson comes back from IR, is also how one describes McKenzie).

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

When is the last time a WR was injured on an end around? I can't even recall one. Im not advocating for it but my guess is the odds of injury on catching a ball over the middle is far greater than an end around.

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're a Bad Man (tm)

Diggs has quickness and speed.

Daboll has tried reverses and sweeps with Beasley and with John Brown and if I'm not mistaken a few times with Diggs.  But McKenzie has more speed and more quickness.

I also think we have some "tells" for those plays that are allowing teams to predict them accurately because they seem to be failing more often

I disagree with this.  I have seen Daboll try other players in these roles.  It didn't work, so after a couple trials he abandoned it.

By the way I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen Kelce running a reverse or a sweep.  Hill runs them because he's by far the fastest and quickest player on the Chiefs (which until Stevenson comes back from IR, is also how one describes McKenzie).

Not true. They have handed the ball off to Kelce and also run shovel passes to him that are essentially running plays up the middle down near the goal line. 

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

When is the last time a WR was injured on an end around? I can't even recall one. Im not advocating for it but my guess is the odds of injury on catching a ball over the middle is far greater than an end around.

Not true. They have handed the ball off to Kelce and also run shovel passes to him that are essentially running plays up the middle down near the goal line. 

Chiefs have a very creative offense

13 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Best playmaker on the team let’s have him do the McKenzie from backfield thing? 

if we can summon Bledsoe plays for inspiration let’s add value here. 

What else could they try?

How about no! He is one of the best route runners in the league. You want him getting hurt running the ball either on sweeps ornup the gut? 

5 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

How about no! He is one of the best route runners in the league. You want him getting hurt running the ball either on sweeps ornup the gut? 

No. Have you seen McKenzie run up the gut? I never have.  

On second thought, you’re right. He should just run curls into bracketed coverage. Any think else is dumb. 

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No. Have you seen McKenzie run up the gut? I never have.  

On second thought, you’re right. He should just run curls into bracketed coverage. Any think else is dumb. 

A receiver like Diggs needs to run the entire route tree. Our O line does not run block well- a simple harmless sweep can turn into a change of direction and get him destroyed. I do applaud your sarcasm- I forgot how this place tends to operate 😊

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yeah that. He broke some 20-30 yards plays. Got a backfield touch once every couple games. 

Don’t use Diggs on a reverse because he may get hurt? 

they probably shouldn’t throw to him either unless he can get out of bounds…

Lemme get this straight, he forced his way out of Minnesota because he became angry with how they used him ... and we should use him more like Minnesota did?

And the reason is because we could reap the benefits of earning some of the 160 yards he made in runs over the course of his five years in Minny? Where his big year he earned 62 yards in running?

1535 yards says we used him just fine last year, just fine.

And as for getting hurt, you don't encounter quite as many 300 pounders, or even 250 pounders, downfield after catching passes as you do when you get the ball handed to you by the QB behind the line.

We're using him better than Minnesota did.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Travis Kelce has one rushing attempt in his entire career

he has caught some shovel passes around the goal line 

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Thats what I said

Yeah but the handoff part really isn't true

One career carry in like close to 10 years is not really a facet of his game 

They really don't hand the ball off to him 

He has maybe caught like 10 or 15 shovel passes in his career

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

A receiver like Diggs needs to run the entire route tree. Our O line does not run block well- a simple harmless sweep can turn into a change of direction and get him destroyed. I do applaud your sarcasm- I forgot how this place tends to operate 😊

He’s a football player! 🙄 

id rather him running a sweep than the QB. 

Tyreek hill average 1 a game. Some how he is still active and I think has all his limbs too

Anyway I wouldn’t mind watching a linebacker try to cover Diggs, but understand the fear  football player might get hurt playing football.. 

Pretty sure I have seen Diggs in the backfield once in a blue moon.  How about they just play NFL offense and stop trying to throw trick plays that they aren't good at in the stupidest moments.  I still can't stand that they pitched the ball backwards on 4th and 1.  Even if it worked I would not have liked it.

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How bout Moss in the backfield

Nah, Moss sucks…, 

JK 😁