Highmark Stadium now requiring vaccination for entry

StHustle
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

LISTEN UP!

We need a discussion thread for the highly relevant issue of new HIghmark Stadium vaccination requirements - how to handle vaccine card requirements, apps, how to re-sell tickets if desired, refund policy and consequences, stadium entry concerns etc.

Please try to refrain from becoming an internet epidemiologist or virologist, and recall that there are many many other places on the interwebs to have general political or covid-19 discussion. 

Keep it directly related to Highmark Stadium and to Bills Football, Please

That Is All.  Thanks People!

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

Just to clarify, not a co-author; I authored the accompanying editorial. And yes, I wouldn't go to the opener because of the risk.

With the vaccine requirement, however, I may come back for a later game...

Thanks for that clarification

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

If vaccinated people weren't getting Covid, I'd be 100% in agreement with you. The reality is the the vaccination does not stop the spread. Hence the outrage. 

the vaccine can prevent serious symptoms, hospitalizations and death. No one has said it prevents the spread. If you are vaccinated you have a better chance of staying out of the hospital and staying alive

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

If vaccinated people weren't getting Covid, I'd be 100% in agreement with you. The reality is the the vaccination does not stop the spread. Hence the outrage. 

Do Seatbelts stop car wrecks or minimize the affects?

So Airbags stop car wrecks or minimize the affect?

So parachutes stop you from hitting the ground or does it minimize affect?

Do child seats stop car wrecks or minimize the affect?

See how this argument doesnt hold water?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

You are twisting reality by fudging words. You don't wake up and say today I'll either be hit by a car or I won't - I guess that is 50/50.  A larger vaccinated population is getting fewer infections that are less serious. The benefit is unequivocally there.

We are also learning about better dosing intervals to address waning immunity in those what got their shots too close together. Those who waited could actually be BETTER protected now that we have learned that 6-8 weeks is a better dosing interval than 2 weeks by just going to get vaccinate and taking advantage of lessons learned.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

This is just dumb.  It’s also misinformation.  

Here’s the reality.  The county and PSE stand together on this issue.  One of beauties of the capitalist society in which we live is that businesses (such as PSE) have the right to engage in non-discriminatory practices.  You, the consumer, have the right to disagree with those practices by closing your wallet.  Don’t want the vax?  Don’t go to the games and don’t open your wallet.  And don’t complain about discrimination, because you’re not part of a protected class.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

The NFL certainly as a a private business could choose to require its customers to be vaccinated, just like any other business.

But does the NFL own the stadiums themselves?  I'm honestly not sure, but I don't think they have sole ownership of the stadiums themselves where they can call all the shots.  I THINK (and I could be wrong) that in many cases the stadiums are either co-owned or rented by the local municipalities or some other local entity.  I think only a few stadiums are owned outright by the team owners.

The unvaccinated could actually dunk on the early vaccinators by getting treated now with a better dosing interval. You can stand up and and say - "See! waiting was the correct choice. I'm better off than you!" You would be right. You would be better off than those of us who did this Jan-April.

Go ahead. Get it done and shove it in everyone's face. Take your victory lap. Just go get vaccinated and move on with life.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

My mom's hospital, a major hospital in Atlanta, is ok now - but, for a while these past couple months, they could not accept transfers from smaller hospitals due to capacity issues related to covid patients in the ICU.  Largely unvaccinated and largely the people you would think - health wise - would be in the ICU due to covid.  

If this was/is going on in Buffalo, using government levers to cudgel people into getting vaxxed by any means necessary actually makes sense to me.  I don't agree with the methods, but I get the logic.  

When we're told the vaccinated need to be protected from the unvaccinated, and we're told at Highmark Stadium that due to safety concerns only vaccinated are allowed, when we know vaccinated can catch and spread this virus, it simply does not make logical sense.  

Give me a logical reason behind decision making and I can agree, or disagree with you on your overreach, but i'll admit when the logic is sound.  The logic we're being told isn't sound, and therefore it's incredibly frustrating.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

This is just dumb.  It’s also misinformation.  

Here’s the reality.  The county and PSE stand together on this issue.  One of beauties of the capitalist society in which we live is that businesses (such as PSE) have the right to engage in non-discriminatory practices.  You, the consumer, have the right to disagree with those practices by closing your wallet.  Don’t want the vax?  Don’t go to the games and don’t open your wallet.  And don’t complain about discrimination, because you’re not part of a protected class.  

What's the misinformation? I chimed into this thread because he's right... you can get Covid after being fully vaccinated and spread it to another fully vaccinated person. I'm one of 4 people in my immediate family who has had this happen in the past 6 weeks. 

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, nucci said:

the vaccine can prevent serious symptoms, hospitalizations and death. No one has said it prevents the spread. If you are vaccinated you have a better chance of staying out of the hospital and staying alive

It absolutely boggles my mind that every adult American doesn't already know this.  It floors me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

NFL data 7x less likely to be infected.  No intra-facility spread.  CDC LA study. 5x less likely to be infected, 29x less likely to be hospitalized.  CDC HCW study ( high exposure) when tested weekly, all infections 3x less likely with some evidence of declining effectiveness after 6 months.  UK public health 5x less likely.  

These all with Delta.

The vaccine reduces spread 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

NFL data 7x less likely to be infected.  No intra-facility spread.  CDC LA study. 5x less likely to be infected, 29x less likely to be hospitalized.  CDC HCW study ( high exposure) when tested weekly, all infections 3x less likely with some evidence of declining effectiveness after 6 months.  UK public health 5x less likely.  

These all with Delta.

I believe the less likely to be hospitalized stat. I don't believe the other stats... not for a freaking second. CDC's numbers are f'ed up. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

These all with Delta.

But it doesn't stop it entirely.

Just like doubling Heyward didn't stop him entirely.

Why even bother?   We should have dedicated those blockers to other guys.   That would have worked better.    Makes sense no? 😆

• Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, SDS said:

A larger vaccinated population is getting fewer infections that are less serious. The benefit is unequivocally there.

And this is the justification behind not requiring vaccinated attendees to wear masks.  Covid may still spread but it will spread less fervently and with less severity.  Those who are vaccinated understand this and are willing to accept that small risk.  The unvaccinated are without a doubt those with the highest risk of being infected, being superspreaders, and suffering more severe infections.

it really is that cut and dried.

1 minute ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I believe the less likely to be hospitalized stat. I don't believe the other stats... not for a freaking second. CDC's numbers are f'ed up. 

And how do you know they are?  Based on your own research I assume.  

Who's numbers would you trust?  Probably no ones if they don't side with your own belief on the vaccine.

4 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

You don't believe this because you have personal anecdotal evidence that disproves it? 

did you know that if something is supposed to happen 95% of the time, that 1 time out of 20 it doesn't happen? 

Edited by SDS

On the other side of the argument. From a herd immunity standpoint if you can get the numbers in attendance over say 80% vaccinated. Check temps on the people who are not vaccinated. Require masks. The chances of a large outbreak occuring would be very slim in my humble opinion.

Edited by Figster

2 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

And how do you know they are?  Based on your own research I assume.  

Who's numbers would you trust?  Probably no ones if they don't side with your own belief on the vaccine.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

You don't believe this because you have personal anecdotal evidence that disproves it? 

did you know that if something is supposed to happen 95% of the time, that 1 time out of 20 it doesn't happen? 

I think these numbers are way off because?

8 members of my immedicate family are fully vaccinated, including myself: Ex-wife (who travels with me for our girls college events), both my girls, my niece (lives with my parents) and both my parents. FOUR of us got it and two of us spread it to another person in our family, 6 weeks apart. I gave it to my ex on our trip to move our youngest in to Ole Miss and my dad gave it to my mother, who is now hospitalized. PS: My father wears a mask during 95% of his working hours... and gloves. 

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I think these numbers are way off because?

8 members of my immedicate family are fully vaccinated, including myself: Ex-wife (who travels with me for our girls college events), both my girls, my niece (lives with my parents) and both my parents. FOUR of us got it and two of us spread it to another person in our family, 6 weeks apart. I gave it to my ex on our trip to move our youngest in to Ole Miss and my dad gave it to my mother, who is now hospitalized. PS: My father wears a mask during 95% of his working hours... and gloves. 

There are way more variables to be considered in an individual's anecdote before the leap to your conclusion is made.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

You're leaving out that the unvaccinated are the reason for the mutations. So it's problematic for the rest of us to accept that. If everyone had done what they should have in the first place we wouldn't be here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SDS said:

The unvaccinated could actually dunk on the early vaccinators by getting treated now with a better dosing interval. You can stand up and and say - "See! waiting was the correct choice. I'm better off than you!" You would be right. You would be better off than those of us who did this Jan-April.

Go ahead. Get it done and shove it in everyone's face. Take your victory lap. Just go get vaccinated and move on with life.

This is so incredibly true.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

so, i will leave out my thoughts on the vax vs unvaxed, mandate vs no etc....no one is convincing anyone on either side of the argument, going on 20 months now it is all getting repetitive to me.

I think it was @MAJBobby who pointed out the Clear Digital Vaccine Card will be accepted...i thought this was part of the Clear program for TSA screening and did not want to pay, but thanks to him, i found out the app was free. Thank you Maj for the heads up, good info. If it was not you, thank you for whoever posted it!!!

Took less than 5 minutes to download app, scan ID, scan face, and scan vax card...should be all set for the game. Have a few friends in Bills admin, will clarify with them for accuracy of this statement and report back.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Probably not

People I know that aren't vaccinated are never going to get vaccinated... Even the ones with season tickets I don't think this is going to change them

Unbelievable, that people can’t grasp the facts that we are at war with the pandemic and they refuse to lift a finger in helping out and doing their part for the collective good. They are free to make their choice but they should suffer the consequences. Welcome to having trouble keeping your job, paying really high health insurance rates, and you aren’t welcome to come inside most private businesses. Enjoy that freedom from home. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

It's important to note that these (vaccines and masks) are temporary, necessary measures to get through this pandemic. Once the pandemic is over these will not be required anymore. So it's just a question of how long that is. 

I think this policy makes perfect sense, and it also protects against a surge in cases coming from the stadium or Bills games themselves, which would jeopardize having full capacity and enjoying this season in person. Nobody wants that. 

It also gives fans attending the games the sense of security that everyone around them (except younger kids who can't be yet) is vaccinated. 

If you're a season ticket holder who does not want to get vaccinated, this season allows you a good workaround: sell your seats for this year on the secondary market for a decent price given the team we have, watch the games in your living room on your big screen TV with cheaper (and better) food and beer, and hope that next year this is no longer an issue/requirement. You lose nothing, except the experience this year. But that's your choice. You might even profit on your tickets a bit (I admittedly know very little about how any of that works). 

I was also very surprised to hear that no masks would be required due to the vaccination requirement, which is the way it should be everywhere in my opinion and probably will be eventually. It makes good sense. If everyone is vaccinated there really isn't the need for masks as well. You can still wear one if you want. 

In reality, the only real places where you MUST wear a mask right now are K-12 schools, hospitals, mass transit and prisons. And that's NY. And those mandates are only in place because 95-100% vaccination is not possible in those situations right now. 

We're 18 months in. Eventually, this stuff will end. Remember 2018? That was already almost 4 years ago. Time flies, so find the best way to enjoy the team this year that fits with your personal ehtics/comfort level and GO BILLS! 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

It does stop the spread.  Vaccinated people are less likely to get covid.

2 vaccinated people will have the least likely chance of spreading to one another.  An unvaxed person has the most chance of contacting when in contact with a vaxed person.

I believe the common thread here is…get vaccinated.  It will lessen the chance of of an individual getting Covid, hence slowing the spread.  More people vaccinated = less people with Covid.  Yes, a vaxed person can spread.  But when in contact with other vaxed people, less likely to spread.  Simple.

And mask.  All of this isn’t brain surgery.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Covid, like every pandemic before it, will end once there is sufficient immunity in the population to slow its spread to a trickle. 

We can accelerate that process by possibly years, and avoid many unnecessary deaths, through vaccinations. But either way, it will infect every person it can until there's no fuel left for the fire, so to speak. 

I think Erie County has actually done a very good job of balancing personal freedoms and choices with collective responsibility to the health of the community. I'm proud of the work our county executive has done and his messaging all along on this. 

Unless you work in a hospital or K-12 school, you could go weeks without having to wear a mask in Erie County. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

27 minutes ago, SDS said:

I'm trying to not get in trouble, delete if you'd like -  but when a poster questions these CDC numbers, it's likely because of recent studies published in WaPo, The Atlantic etc., that state up to half of the covid hospitalization numbers may have been people admitted for reasons unrelated to covid, but upon taking the mandatory test, were covid positive.  

Just answering your question, that's all. 

Edited by SCBills

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

so, i will leave out my thoughts on the vax vs unvaxed, mandate vs no etc....no one is convincing anyone on either side of the argument, going on 20 months now it is all getting repetitive to me.

I think it was @MAJBobby who pointed out the Clear Digital Vaccine Card will be accepted...i thought this was part of the Clear program for TSA screening and did not want to pay, but thanks to him, i found out the app was free. Thank you Maj for the heads up, good info. If it was not you, thank you for whoever posted it!!!

Took less than 5 minutes to download app, scan ID, scan face, and scan vax card...should be all set for the game. Have a few friends in Bills admin, will clarify with them for accuracy of this statement and report back.

This is great info and thanks for the details, I’m gonna do it today

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, nucci said:

Hmmm.....I think Israel and the UK would disagree. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I'm trying to not get in trouble, but when a poster questions these CDC numbers, it's likely because of recent studies published in WaPo, The Atlantic etc., that state up to half of the covid hospitalization numbers may have been people admitted for reason unrelated to covid, but upon taking the mandatory test, were covid positive.  

Just answering your question - don't shoot the messenger. 

he literally said it was because of his own experience and not “likely sources“.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I'm trying to not get in trouble, but when a poster questions these hospitalization numbers, it's likely because of recent studies published in WaPo, The Atlantic etc., that state up to half of the covid hospitalization numbers may have been people admitted for reason unrelated to covid, but upon taking the mandatory test, were covid positive.  

Just answering your question - don't shoot the messenger. 

The key question is “when?”

I believe that was true in Spring and may still be true in some places where vax levels are high like MD MA NY

It’s so far from true in rural MO and GA this summer that it’s laughable.  Boots on the floor accounts.

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Which exact app did you use?  TIA.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The key question is “when?”

I believe that was true in Spring and may still be true in some places where vax levels are high like MD MA NY

It’s so far from true in rural MO and GA this summer that it’s laughable.  Boots on the floor accounts.

Oh, for sure, I can attest to that.  I shared that my mom's hospital in Atlanta has had to deny transfers from smaller hospitals due to unvaccinated covid patients in the ICU.  It seems to have peaked now, but i'll certainly agree that there are very real hospitalization worries when areas spike.  

1 hour ago, Blainorama5 said:

But does the NFL own the stadiums themselves?  I'm honestly not sure, but I don't think they have sole ownership of the stadiums themselves where they can call all the shots.  I THINK (and I could be wrong) that in many cases the stadiums are either co-owned or rented by the local municipalities or some other local entity.  I think only a few stadiums are owned outright by the team owners.

No the county owns the stadium, BUT PSE leases it and therefore makes the policy. PSE AGREES with the vaccination mandate.

This is the same as a restaurant leasing a building. If the restaurant says, no masks, no service, it is their right. You have the right not to go to said restaurant, but you have no say in their policies and can be denied entry or told to leave. The owner of the building cannot over ride the restaurant's policies.

• Thank you (+1) 1