Pete Prisco predicts Bills to win SB over Tampa Bay; ranks them currently no. 2 in power rankings

chongli

did not see this elsewhere:

Article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-1-power-rankings-buccaneers-start-season-at-no-1-but-bills-will-stand-in-way-of-super-bowl-repeat/

"NFL Week 1 Power Rankings: Buccaneers start season at No. 1, but Bills will stand in way of Super Bowl repeat"

short excerpt:

"That doesn't mean they are a lock to win it again. Repeating is tough, even for a seasoned, talented team like Tampa Bay. But I do think the Bucs will get back to the Super Bowl, only to fall short.

The Buffalo Bills will win it all. This is the year Bills quarterback Josh Allen cements himself as one of the best in the NFL by leading the Bills to their first Super Bowl victory. Allen still has doubters, despite his MVP-like season in 2020.

There is a big part of me that thinks Allen is only scratching the surface of what he can be as a passer, which is why I am bullish on the Bills. Coach Sean McDermott and coordinator Leslie Frazier will have the defense improved over last season -- they have to be better rushing the passer -- and that will prove to be the impetus to get this team to the Super Bowl and win it.

The Kansas City Chiefs and Green Bay Packers will again be in the mix, but this time it's the Bills who beat the Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game to move on and win it all, beating Brady, who brought a lot of misery to Buffalo in his time with the Patriots. 

While the Bills Mafia will be happy with these first rankings, I know most of you will find something to complain about. Oh, well. Maybe you can use it as motivation."

Rankings:

1. Tampa Bay

2. Buffalo

3. Kansas City

4. Green Bay

5. Cleveland

6. San Francisco

7. Baltimore

8. LA Rams

9. Arizona

10. Tennessee

11. New England

12. Indianapolis

13. Washington

14. Dallas

15. Miami

16. Minnesota

17. Denver

18. Seattle

19. New Orleans

20. LA Chargers

21. Pittsburgh

22. Atlanta

23. Chicago

24. NY Giants

25. Las Vegas

26. Philadelphia

27. Jacksonville

28. Carolina

29. Cincinnati

30. Detroit

31. NY Jets

32. Houston

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If we win it all this year and it involves beating Marcia in the big dance man that's just icing on the cake.

Buffalo will be torched to the ground, its going to make the Philly post super bowl win celebration look like a 3 year old's bounce house b-day party by comparison.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It will be interesting to see how the team plays all year being in the media spotlight nationwide. We certainly can't play the small market Buffalo who flies under the radar this season. Then you have the expectations from the local media and fans all over WNY which are sky high. I haven't felt this way about a Bills season since the early 90's.

• Like (+1) 2

One thing I'm noticing is how folks are having a tough time ranking the Steelers. I've seen them ranked as high as #10, and as low as #21 here.

They should have a good defense, but it really depends on whether that shaky offensive line can come together quickly. Hopefully not before Sunday.

• Like (+1) 2

In a weird way I don't think all this national media hype is a good thing.

I prefer to fly under the radar and I really hope this team is not buying the hype and understands that last year means nothing and they have to do it all over again which will be a much more daunting tasks this year given how loaded the AFC/division is, opposing stadiums full of fans, other teams ready for Allen and the Bills offense, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, JimKelly12 said:

Like the good old days when Chris Berman would call Tampa / Buffalo in the SB

27 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

49ers and Bills.

Berman picked Bills/49ers for many years in a row. Was there a time before that when he picked Bills/TB?  I don't recall that being a big thing.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

I prefer to fly under the radar and I really hope this team is not buying the hype and understands that last year means nothing and they have to do it all over again which will be a much more daunting tasks this year given how loaded the AFC/division is, opposing stadiums full of fans, other teams ready for Allen and the Bills offense, etc.

I heard Sean McDermott already packed his bags and moved to LA for the Super Bowl. He said there's no need to prepare for games 1-17. 

That's his M.O. 

It's a short season. Winning is easy in this league. Who needs to trust the process? Every game is the same. Last year's outcome guarantees this year's success. Focus smokecus....

But seriously, the last thing I'm worried about is McD's team doing anything but focus on each and every opponent.

Sean has this Bills team prepared for success and the national spot light. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

On the CBS website story

Pete said TB is only #1 because they are the defending champs and no other reason 

So, with that said

#2 is better than #1

Pete is full of #2

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, The Dean said:

Berman picked Bills/49ers for many years in a row. Was there a time before that when he picked Bills/TB?  I don't recall that being a big thing.

He almost had it in 90 except the Giants pulled off the upset win over SF.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I prefer to fly under the radar and I really hope this team is not buying the hype and understands that last year means nothing and they have to do it all over again which will be a much more daunting tasks this year given how loaded the AFC/division is, opposing stadiums full of fans, other teams ready to get STOMPED on by Allen and the Bills offense, etc.

Fixed that for you

• Like (+1) 1

During the Bills SB run back in the 90's Pete Prisco was a very pro-Dolphins and anti-Bills..........would always throw shade on those teams.

As much as I disliked hearing it........I knew he was right that the Bills of the 90's lacked the fortitude of the better coached, disciplined, focused and subsequently tougher-at-the-end-of-season NFC East teams of the day.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

yeah he has been tough on Buffalo 

but as of late he’s claimed that Josh Allen was his 1st QB of that draft.  

and now that Josh emerged 

the praises are coming 

Nah, he's always been pro Allen. It was the one thing that gave me hope when we drafted him (I was one of those wary of signing a "toolsy" QB over an NFL ready one). Pete said he had the potential to be one of the best, it would be about his growth and the coaching, and he lauded McBeane for getting him.

Prisco was always dismissive to the point of being offensive about the Bills right up to drafting Allen and having seen a season of McD in the job. Since then he's been pretty accurate about the overall progress.

Edited by Simstim
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Rubes said:

One thing I'm noticing is how folks are having a tough time ranking the Steelers. I've seen them ranked as high as #10, and as low as #21 here.

They should have a good defense, but it really depends on whether that shaky offensive line can come together quickly. Hopefully not before Sunday.

Doc, it’s the nebulous factor of the O Line coming together, but also a suspect secondary.  Add to that TJ Watt their best player is only doing Individual drills as he’s holding out and Pitt is known for once a season starts no negotiations.

add an offense that threw for an avg of 6 yards with talent and are they really that good.  I think we’ll beat them by 10.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

During the Bills SB run back in the 90's Pete Prisco was a very pro-Dolphins and anti-Bills..........would always throw shade on those teams.

As much as I disliked hearing it........I knew he was right that the Bills of the 90's lacked the fortitude of the better coached, disciplined, focused and subsequently tougher-at-the-end-of-season NFC East teams of the day.

The ironic thing is that he was pro-Fish.  I mean, talk about a team with no toughness.

8 minutes ago, eball said:

The ironic thing is that he was pro-Fish.  I mean, talk about a team with no toughness.

Yeah that was the irritating part........because he just kept believing in Shula.

Shula in his prime in the 70's was a great coach who Marv Levy would have been at a signficant disadvantage against.......but by the mid-80's he had gone soft and was no longer a difference maker for that team.

That should have been obvious by 1990 but not to Pete.........blinded by his homerism.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, chongli said:

Article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-1-power-rankings-buccaneers-start-season-at-no-1-but-bills-will-stand-in-way-of-super-bowl-repeat/

"NFL Week 1 Power Rankings: Buccaneers start season at No. 1, but Bills will stand in way of Super Bowl repeat"

short excerpt:

"That doesn't mean they are a lock to win it again. Repeating is tough, even for a seasoned, talented team like Tampa Bay. But I do think the Bucs will get back to the Super Bowl, only to fall short.

The Buffalo Bills will win it all. This is the year Bills quarterback Josh Allen cements himself as one of the best in the NFL by leading the Bills to their first Super Bowl victory. Allen still has doubters, despite his MVP-like season in 2020.

There is a big part of me that thinks Allen is only scratching the surface of what he can be as a passer, which is why I am bullish on the Bills. Coach Sean McDermott and coordinator Leslie Frazier will have the defense improved over last season -- they have to be better rushing the passer -- and that will prove to be the impetus to get this team to the Super Bowl and win it.

The Kansas City Chiefs and Green Bay Packers will again be in the mix, but this time it's the Bills who beat the Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game to move on and win it all, beating Brady, who brought a lot of misery to Buffalo in his time with the Patriots. 

While the Bills Mafia will be happy with these first rankings, I know most of you will find something to complain about. Oh, well. Maybe you can use it as motivation."

Rankings:

1. Tampa Bay

2. Buffalo

3. Kansas City

4. Green Bay

5. Cleveland

6. San Francisco

7. Baltimore

8. LA Rams

9. Arizona

10. Tennessee

11. New England

12. Indianapolis

13. Washington

14. Dallas

15. Miami

16. Minnesota

17. Denver

18. Seattle

19. New Orleans

20. LA Chargers

21. Pittsburgh

22. Atlanta

23. Chicago

24. NY Giants

25. Las Vegas

26. Philadelphia

27. Jacksonville

28. Carolina

29. Cincinnati

30. Detroit

31. NY Jets

32. Houston

I’m in agreement with Florio and crew at Profootballtalk I’m going Bills Rams and we bring it home to upstate New York 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

On the CBS website story

Pete said TB is only #1 because they are the defending champs and no other reason 

So, with that said

#2 is better than #1

Two is twice what number one is, 😁👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is the progression.

1) We're a bad team, and no one notices us.

2) We're a good team, and no one notices us

3) We're a good team, and people are talking about us

4) We're a good team, and people think we'll win the Super Bowl

5) We're a good team, and everyone hates us

1 hour ago, Success said:

This is the progression.

1) We're a bad team, and no one notices us.

2) We're a good team, and no one notices us

3) We're a good team, and people are talking about us

4) We're a good team, and people think we'll win the Super Bowl

5) We're a good team, and everyone hates us

I disagree with 5 for a number of reasons.

1 - Allen and the Bills offense are fun to watch and lot of other teams fans enjoy watching the Bills. (Apparently players too since Sanders says that was a big draw to him coming to the Bills).

2 - Bills Mafia has a deservedly good reputation amongst most NFL fanbases.   We respond to 

Lamar Jackson's concussion exit by donating to a charity he supported.

I fully expect this JA17 era to be special.  They are capable of going on a dynastic run if they play to their full potential.  Watching over next few years will be very entertaining, that's a given. 

Now if the Bills go on a crazy streak then maybe some other fans will get tired of it, but depends on the level of compete.

39 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I disagree with 5 for a number of reasons.

1 - Allen and the Bills offense are fun to watch and lot of other teams fans enjoy watching the Bills. (Apparently players too since Sanders says that was a big draw to him coming to the Bills).

2 - Bills Mafia has a deservedly good reputation amongst most NFL fanbases.   We respond to 

Lamar Jackson's concussion exit by donating to a charity he supported.

I fully expect this JA17 era to be special.  They are capable of going on a dynastic run if they play to their full potential.  Watching over next few years will be very entertaining, that's a given. 

Now if the Bills go on a crazy streak then maybe some other fans will get tired of it, but depends on the level of compete.

Maybe - and I'd love to think that.  But I also remember when the Patriots were plucky underdogs.  Even I rooted for them against the Rams, and I need therapy about that team now.

But you never know.  It is a likable team.   BB was responsible for a lot of the disdain for NE.

9 hours ago, chongli said:

Article:

short excerpt:

Rankings:

1. Tampa Bay

2. Buffalo

3. Kansas City

4. Green Bay

5. Cleveland

6. San Francisco

7. Baltimore

8. LA Rams

9. Arizona

10. Tennessee

11. New England

12. Indianapolis

13. Washington

14. Dallas

15. Miami

16. Minnesota

17. Denver

18. Seattle

19. New Orleans

20. LA Chargers

21. Pittsburgh

22. Atlanta

23. Chicago

24. NY Giants

25. Las Vegas

26. Philadelphia

27. Jacksonville

28. Carolina

29. Cincinnati

30. Detroit

31. NY Jets

32. Houston

Beating Tom Brady in the Super Bowl after years of being humiliated by him and the Patriots is my ultimate football fantasy wet dream 💦

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 1