Lawsuit accuses Cornelius Bennett of sexually assaulting teen in 1992

billsfan1959

I am not a lawyer, just pretty good at using the Google....

New state law extends the statute of limitations for rape in New York

Under the new law, the statute of limitations for reporting second-degree rape increases to 20 years and third-degree rape increases to 10 years. Previously, both were five years.

The law eliminates the statute of limitations for ***** in the first degree, and extends the statute to 20 years for ***** in the second degree and for a second-degree criminal sexual act. For third-degree criminal sex acts, the statute of limitations is increased to 10 years.

And under the law, victims now have 20 years in which to bring a civil suit for the offenses.

She may be 10 years too late. 

• Like (+1) 2

Umm, it was 29 years ago.

Why wait almost three decades to accuse someone?    It seems like the details needed to prove such a thing would be extremely difficult to both recall and to accept as reliable. 

I predict this will go nowhere.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Wha? What's hardly the same thing? Don't know what you're talking about? Unless you mean 17 yrs old and 27 yrs old are hardly the same and no longer a teenager? In which case you would be agreeing with me

I ignore a LOT of stupid ***** on here, but I don't have to ignore you when you say you have a hard time believing a victim of sexual assault.  That's what I mean.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Umm my one and only question why has she waited almost 30 years to come forward? I mean how can you prove anything this far in the future.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BRH said:

I ignore a LOT of stupid ***** on here, but I don't have to ignore you when you say you have a hard time believing a victim of sexual assault.  That's what I mean.

Not sure why you are not understanding what I said....again, it's clearly not that I have a hard time believing someone about this. It's The. 30. Years. That. Makes. Me. Have. A. Hard. Time. Believing.

I can't be any clearer than that....

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

With all respect and compassion for victims of sexual abuse, after 30 years to file a complaint against an ex ballplayer to extract a monetary award is a little much. To pile on this guy because he had a previous conviction is just the wrong precedent to set. He should be given the presumption of innocence until overwhelmingly evidence is presented. Why would any victim bury something that was so damaging for 30 years? These exfootball players are easy targets. 

Sexual assault has a stigma that many women don’t want given to them.  That’s why so many sexually abused women never tell their story.  They are scared if not being believed, especially if the accused is famous as CB was back then.  They are also scared of the offender, especially one that was in the public eye.  

If she was assaulted, she has every right to do what she’s doing.  Regardless of time frames.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Not sure why you are not understanding what I said....again, it's clearly not that I have a hard time believing someone about this. It's The. 30. Years. That. Makes. Me. Have. A. Hard. Time. Believing.

I can't be any clearer than that....

The mistake you're making is in thinking that 1992 was no different from 2021.  As Caveman said, even aside from the culture change, just think about how popular and powerful the Bills' players were in 1992, if you were even around then.  And think about the rumors that were going around about certain players who were idolized in this community that never resulted in anything.  I was in law school in Buffalo in the late '90s and a team executive (who is still there) came and talked to us about his job... and joked about how many paternity suits he had to deal with.  This ***** was happening and Bennett wasn't the only one.   Unfortunately it is still happening (see, e.g., Deshaun Watson, Trevor Bauer) but it got swept under the rug a hell of a lot more often back then, and for every brave woman that came forward I bet there were dozens who suffered in silence because they didn't think anyone would believe them.  

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I mean it happens far too often. So it's logical to think it's a good possibility.

We agree that something happens far too often, but we don't agree on what that is.

4 minutes ago, BRH said:

The mistake you're making is in thinking that 1992 was no different from 2021.  As Caveman said, even aside from the culture change, just think about how popular and powerful the Bills' players were in 1992, if you were even around then.  And think about the rumors that were going around about certain players who were idolized in this community that never resulted in anything.  I was in law school in Buffalo in the late '90s and a team executive (who is still there) came and talked to us about his job... and joked about how many paternity suits he had to deal with.  This ***** was happening and Bennett wasn't the only one.   Unfortunately it is still happening (see, e.g., Deshaun Watson, Trevor Bauer) but it got swept under the rug a hell of a lot more often back then, and for every brave woman that came forward I bet there were dozens who suffered in silence because they didn't think anyone would believe them.  

We agree that something happens far too often, but we don't agree on what that is.

Yes, and I don’t know the guilt or innocence of either one of those guys, but are they more likely to walk free than a random working class guy ? Absolutely, more is coming out these days, but more often than  not the athlete still doesn’t pay the price, so coming forward continues to be quite intimidating imo. 

12 minutes ago, BRH said:

Popular or not, you can't sit there and say a lot of these bogus lawsuits that are just a money grab doesn't happen to "popular" people. Hell that's mainly the ones it happens to the most anyways is ppl with lots of money.

With that happening as much as it does, it's not crazy to make you question things. If you can't get that then I got nothing for ya.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Quit while you’re ahead.

Wait.

Too late for that. 🤦‍♂️

Were you trying to quote something else?

Anyway, congrats to the folks on the board (including mods?) who are getting off on feeling superior to someone who chose to report sexual violence.

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I have no idea if her claims are true or not and I won't try to be a legal expert myself. However, the bolded portion has to do with the outcome or objective and as men, we tend to focus on those narrow parameters. But often traumatized victims find the goal to be processing their own grief and she might have had treatment or therapy encouraging her to have a voice. Giving herself a voice to name her abuser and pull herself out of the victimization by casting aside her shame and announcing her ability to survive after many years of broken and failed relationships, peripheral substance abuse or an inability to re-enter society as she did before she was allegedly victimized. Again, I'm in no way validating OR doubting her statements - I take a completely neutral take to these accusations, but I am also seeing it from more than just an objective based approach by indicating the process itself for the victim, has value (again without saying she is or isn't a victim). The worth is in the voice being heard, the guilt and shame of sexual trauma being removed from her own mind, and trying to find some way to heal and obtain a sense of closure. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Perhaps she was inspired by the Nirvana baby.

These two quotes are exactly what a sexual assault thread on TBD is all about. Well done, both of you! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Popular or not, you can't sit there and say a lot of these bogus lawsuits that are just a money grab doesn't happen to "popular" people. Hell that's mainly the ones it happens to the most anyways is ppl with lots of money.

With that happening as much as it does, it's not crazy to make you question things. If you can't get that then I got nothing for ya.

There are hundreds of thousands of sexual assaults in the US every year.  When you say bogus lawsuit, I assume you are referring to one where it is proved that the allegation didn't happen - how many of those can you name?  Out of the hundreds of thousands of sexual assaults every year (many of whom do not report or wait years or decades to report),  it's unfortunate that that's what you're choosing to focus on.

• Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

congrats to the folks on the board (including mods?) who are getting off on feeling superior to someone who chose to report sexual violence.

There you go implying some are "feeling superior" to those that chose to report. That's where you couldn't be more wrong. I definitely applaud those that do speak up that truly went through such a terrible thing. It seems as if you think nobody ever lies about this either.

You probably praise  the Nirvana dude for being so strong to speak up after 30 years for all of a sudden feeling victimized right?

7 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

OK, I'm not a fan of these retrospective lawsuits occurring 29 years after the event.  I don't think they're fair to anyone.  But it's her right to sue Bennett for what [she says] he did.

This, though?  Does it say anywhere how she feels the Bills "knew or should have known" about the attack?  Did she report it to police and to the NFL at the time? 

What type of supervision is an employer reasonably, under the law, expected to exercise, over an employee who is not at work, at his place of employement, or engaged in an employment-related activity at the time?

the woman accused the NFL and the Buffalo Bills of failing to properly supervise Bennett while he interacted with patrons at the bar. She claimed that they knew, or should have known, about the attack

22 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

There you go implying some are "feeling superior" to those that chose to report. That's where you couldn't be more wrong. I definitely applaud those that do speak up that truly went through such a terrible thing. It seems as if you think nobody ever lies about this either.

You probably praise  the Nirvana dude for being so strong to speak up after 30 years for all of a sudden feeling victimized right?

This has been my issue with reading through this topic. I take life on a case by case basis, rather than following a series of rigid beliefs. There’s no reason for me not to believe this, and Biscuit did that to himself. The dude is a registered offender with a history. That criminal history follows a guy his entire life. So regardless of how we feel about the victim motives or legitimacy, I don’t find it an outrage that he has to deal with this years later. 

Most of this board wouldn’t hire him, rent him an apartment, or want him in their neighborhood if they didn’t know him as Bill.  I won’t challenge anyone on their legal system beliefs regarding the validity of time limitations. I fully understand the problem with retroactive lawsuits. I’m someone who thinks much of the MeToo stuff got out of control, and not everything should be taken at face value, that’s a dangerous precedent. It’s just that I see a difference between first time harassment offenders and violent offenders with a history. Her motives might not be the best, I will acknowledge that, but I don’t see Bennett as a potential victim the way I might see others who are accused. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I mean it happens far too often. So it's logical to think it's a good possibility.

You can't know that as much as I can't know if she's telling the truth. Statistic prove out that the "fake claim for money" is not very common. 

I'm not going to take you too seriously though.

Edited by blitzboy54
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, UConn James said:

Lawyers go after who has the most money. Just name them in the lawsuit for publicity factor and figure / hope they’ll settle for some 💰 to make it go away. If CB did this, then it’s HIS fault, not the Bills & NFL. #🤬Lawyers

Call it what you want, but the time for this was 30 years ago. It’s now even more of a he-said-she-said case unless there is some physical evidence, and they are relying on the current climate as a way to tip the balance.

Ah  30 years ago for him   Emotional damage can take years to surface and greatly effect a person's entire life.  

• Agree 1

I've heard a few stories from back in the day about how he was a total jerk to fans and even kids that wanted autographs. One buddy of mine had his card ripped up by him at camp when he gave it to him to sign when he was little. I know there was a lot of arrogance on that squad, but I think he was at an extreme with his attitude. I always wondered why he never got more accolades like the Bills Wall of Fame and even a Hall of Fame nod and maybe some of this behavior is the reason? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

At risk of offending all the White Knights on this board, this is a pure money grab in the age of MeToo. 30 years later there is zero evidence available one way or the other, it’s purely he-said, she-said and the hope is the bad publicity will force Bennett to send some $ her way to make it go away quickly. I’m not saying Bennett is innocent and if he knows he assaulted her he should (but won’t) pay up. Zero chance there’s a criminal charge, this is all civil. 

I'm not going to dismiss it as a moneygrab without knowing the facts and evidence.   We don't know what the evidence is or is not.  And we do ask people to avoid politicized and politically-loaded language here ("White Knights").

But the reason I say these type of lawsuits after 30 years are not fair, is that after 30 years, it is incredibly hard to track down witnesses and evidence.  Hell, with limited exceptions, I have no idea where I even was on a specific date 30 years ago.  Maybe the woman has convincing evidence, but Bennett also has a right to a fair defense which might involve witnesses or evidence that are difficult or impossible for him to find after all this time.   Even if he finds them, retrospective memories are even more falliable and subject to influence than recent memories. 

That's why I think these 30 year retrospective legal actions are a Pestilence upon the Land.

13 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

I've heard a few stories from back in the day about how he was a total jerk to fans and even kids that wanted autographs. One buddy of mine had his card ripped up by him at camp when he gave it to him to sign when he was little. I know there was a lot of arrogance on that squad, but I think he was at an extreme with his attitude. I always wondered why he never got more accolades like the Bills Wall of Fame and even a Hall of Fame nod and maybe some of this behavior is the reason? 

A lot of those players had arrogant streaks and are up on the wall, to my knowledge tho' Bennet is the only convicted sex offender among them (and not up on the wall.)

Edited by Captain Caveman

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's true.  He served prison time after pleading guilty to sexual assault in Buffalo in 1997.  It's the real reason he's not on the Wall of Fame.

The Buffalo Bills would NEVER have someone on the Wall of Fame who was suspected of impropriety.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Then you’re simply not aware. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

What is the voting process for determining who is on the WALL of fame at Highmark and who votes?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I have no idea if her claims are true or not and I won't try to be a legal expert myself. However, the bolded portion has to do with the outcome or objective and as men, we tend to focus on those narrow parameters. But often traumatized victims find the goal to be processing their own grief and she might have had treatment or therapy encouraging her to have a voice. Giving herself a voice to name her abuser and pull herself out of the victimization by casting aside her shame and announcing her ability to survive after many years of broken and failed relationships, peripheral substance abuse or an inability to re-enter society as she did before she was allegedly victimized. Again, I'm in no way validating OR doubting her statements - I take a completely neutral take to these accusations, but I am also seeing it from more than just an objective based approach by indicating the process itself for the victim, has value (again without saying she is or isn't a victim). The worth is in the voice being heard, the guilt and shame of sexual trauma being removed from her own mind, and trying to find some way to heal and obtain a sense of closure. 

It sounds as though you're suggesting legal proceedings as a means to processing and heal from 30 year old trauma and find a voice.

I'm not a therapist, but based on experiences that have been publicized, I strongly suspect legal proceedings are not the best means to that end.

36 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The Buffalo Bills would NEVER have someone on the Wall of Fame who was suspected of impropriety.

What is the voting process for determining who is on the WALL of fame at Highmark and who votes?

I don’t know the specifics today, but Van Miller mentioned he was a voting member. I assume it’s a collection of sports personalities and reporters, team historians and possibly active alumni members.

5 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

At risk of offending all the White Knights on this board, this is a pure money grab in the age of MeToo. 30 years later there is zero evidence available one way or the other, it’s purely he-said, she-said and the hope is the bad publicity will force Bennett to send some $ her way to make it go away quickly. I’m not saying Bennett is innocent and if he knows he assaulted her he should (but won’t) pay up. Zero chance there’s a criminal charge, this is all civil. 

I tend to think along these lines as well.  I’m not saying it didn’t happen but it does seem like they are taking advantage of the current climate by filing this suit and holding the Bills and the NFL accountable, as opposed to Bennett himself.   

52 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

OJ was on the Wall of Fame before his kidnapping and armed robbery conviction it's that what you're implying.

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t know the specifics today, but Van Miller mentioned he was a voting member. I assume it’s a collection of sports personalities and reporters, team historians and possibly active alumni members.

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/alumni/wall-of-fame

The Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame was created in 1980 to honor former players, administrators and coaches who have played significant roles in the team's history. To be eligible for induction, an individual must have played with the Bills for at least three years and be retired from professional football. Also eligible are other individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the Bills, including administrators and coaches. Selections are made by a distinguished panel composed of club personnel and media members.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Beast said:

The Bills and the NFL failed to supervise him.

Money grab right there but it won’t work. That will get tossed.

Yes because he has been such a model citizen....right?   There is NO TIMETABLE for this stuff

4 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

It definitely should be for sure

No.....there should not

3 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Umm, it was 29 years ago.

Why wait almost three decades to accuse someone?    It seems like the details needed to prove such a thing would be extremely difficult to both recall and to accept as reliable. 

I predict this will go nowhere.

It probably will go nowhere.....but there is no timetable on the the distress rape causes it is not uncommon at all for a victim to be fine and then have suppressed memories resurface......or this could be something that they just lived with for years and have suffered.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes because he has been such a model citizen....right?   There is NO TIMETABLE for this stuff

So you believe the Bills and the NFL are responsible? LMAO

The only reason she listed both in her lawsuit is the deep pockets of both. Pure money grab.

Edited by Beast
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It sounds as though you're suggesting legal proceedings as a means to processing and heal from 30 year old trauma and find a voice.

I'm not a therapist, but based on experiences that have been publicized, I strongly suspect legal proceedings are not the best means to that end.

You're not wrong about my point, and my experience would refute that in terms of the value of confronting a person's abuser / offender in a criminal, or in this case a civil, proceeding. I'm sure she was advised he will have his day to offer his own side / evidence and there will be countless questions and challenges to her version of truth, as well as media scrutiny for some of the same reasons offered by people on this board already. 

That said, it is often therapeutic to simply believe the truth is brought into the open. It is very much NOT the same but in the recovery rooms for substance abuse there is a saying, "Secrets keep you sick". There is a powerful revelation of soul when a person can be transparent about their trauma, victimization or internal struggles. So, the legal process is certainly not intended to be a medium for healing, but ultimately there is a great deal of healing that occurs in the process and it often happens organically. The process is long, carries over from week to week and month to month, and there are challenges every turn to determine a person's state of mind and what truly happened. Moreover, often a legal proceeding is the only place where a person can truly believe their voice is given validation. 

To your second point about legal proceedings not being the "best means to that end", I agree. It isn't about being "the best means", it's just too often it's either the only means or the only one that matters to a world which keeps grinding regardless of a person's pain and so it creates a sort of pause for the victim to be able to take the time and bring their tragic experience to life and cope or heal in the process.

It is JMO, but I've had many professional experiences with these types of situations and only offer my own perspective and what I've done in my life, that is not to say it's true for every person or survivor. 

Edit: after re-reading my post, I don't want there to be any confusion in my last statement, I'm not saying I was or am a victim in a similar sense, at all. It was meant to reflect my professional experiences and not any personal experiences.

Edited by BigBuff423

I just find the snap judgements to be pretty silly. I mean, a lot of the posters here, without having any information whatsoever, are jumping to one side or the other, claiming the woman is lying and only after money, or claiming she should be believed.

Just have to see how things play out. I'll offer my opinion once I actually have information to base it on.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Sexual assault has a stigma that many women don’t want given to them.  That’s why so many sexually abused women never tell their story.  They are scared if not being believed, especially if the accused is famous as CB was back then.  They are also scared of the offender, especially one that was in the public eye.  

If she was assaulted, she has every right to do what she’s doing.  Regardless of time frames.

Not disputing her rights,but at the same time, in 30years  if the evidence is substantial, CB ha the right to be presumed innocent