Training camp media and practice 8/17

YoloinOhio

The most encouraging report from camp today is that Allen is taking what the defense gives him. We have so much talent around him, he doesn't need to play hero ball. If we dink and dunk teams to death it's just as effective. If he had played that style against the Chiefs we would have had a fighting chance.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I feel so bad for him. What a nightmare.

What a great job by Dion and you could hear the emotions in his voice talking about mentally where he was and his son at home just born this off season.

Powerful stuff.

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The most encouraging report from camp today is that Allen is taking what the defense gives him. We have so much talent around him, he doesn't need to play hero ball. If we dink and dunk teams to death it's just as effective. If he had played that style against the Chiefs we would have had a fighting chance.

Applying the Chuck Norris mythology here:

Josh Allen tells the defense what to give him.

And, so it is. ;)

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Read the comments from Daboll

I don’t remember this. He was held out of TC? Do you remember what it was for? He got hurt week one. 

@YoloinOhio Milano did get hurt during the season.  I was referring to the lack of information in regard to the injury.  My point was that the injury was worst than the Bills let on or communicated.  Sorry for the confusion.

19 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

@YoloinOhio Milano did get hurt during the season.  I was referring to the lack of information in regard to the injury.  My point was that the injury was worst than the Bills let on or communicated.  Sorry for the confusion.

Oh I see. I guess I don’t remember either way on what was communicated about the Milano injury. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Meh on the "take what the D gives" and no and no on the offensive talent takes.......the supporting cast gets ordinary REAL fast when Diggs isn't on the field(and if he has a season long nagging knee injury, that's a problem)...........and the cast he had on the field in the AFCCG was really beat up and not very impactful.

The Bills #1 weapon is STILL Josh Allen.

Allen has improved a lot as a game manager but he's not mid-career Tom Brady where you expect him to be 35-35 in terms of accuracy and placement on short-to-intermediate throws........he's gonna' miss a few and throw a few flat balls that would have been better with more air under them..........big plays still need to be part of his arsenal to be dominant at this point.

Defense's like the Bills are designed to make teams run lot's of plays to get into scoring position............there is a reason that is a strategy..........big plays are important.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

Still don’t like no news on Diggs.  The Debbie Downer in me is screaming something is really wrong with his knee.  Reminds me of how the staff was handling Milano last year.  

Can you expound on this?

I remember Milano pulling his hamstring in week 1 and the team saying it was minor, but much like Singletary the year before - saying they would evaluate as needed and holding him out of week #2 as a precaution to try and ensure it did not linger.

I thought they even went so far as to say if it was a playoff game he would have played, but no sense in rushing him back early and risk injury again.

I actually thought they gave a standard update and were very forthcoming-about both of Milano’s injuries last year and the timetable for recovery.  

I feel the same way about Diggs.  McD said at this time he is not concerned with it impacting the season, but if something else happens they will adjust.  It seems like they are being very cautious to give him the maximum amount of recovery time. 

I just do not see a reason to be worried right now - they have 25 days before game #1 and nothing they do now counts - so if they think and additional week or 2 sitting back and not taxing the knee is best - I would rather see them do it now.  They are not going to give specifics and they have said they are not worried about regular season and everything tells me that the FO has been pretty straight about these things - so I will worry when they are worried.

Edited by Rochesterfan

6 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Funny - read the first batch of tweets - Josh Allen on fire - 15/15 - ball didn't hit the ground - like really really good - so good defense getting frustrated couldn't stop Allen,  Madden rookie mode  etc etc

Then Thad Brown - you wouldn't have known he competed a pass

Pretty sure this one says differently then what you mentioned lol

Edited by CaliBills
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, CaliBills said:

Pretty sure this one says differently then what you mentioned lol

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Elite practice for Josh Allen today. <br>Hit on his first 15 throws and made it look easy. No individual throw was spectacular, but entirety of the practice was.<br>D finally got a few PBUs on last hurry up drill. Stopped O at the 3.<br><br>This practice is why he&#39;s an MVP candidate.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bills</a></p>&mdash; Thad Brown (@thadbrown7) <a href="https://twitter.com/thadbrown7/status/1427662440158973956?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 17, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

OK - I was just following the ones posted in this thread 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I think losing Moss in pass pro was a much bigger deal than we give it credit for. And after the big drop by Motor, we didn't seem to have the confidence to utilize the short flats. Idk, Yeldon was out there being not very effective. 

But it could have been a much closer game if we had attacked the underneath stuff much better. Also would have kept Mahomes off the field longer. 

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Meh on the "take what the D gives" and no and no on the offensive talent takes.......the supporting cast gets ordinary REAL fast when Diggs isn't on the field(and if he has a season long nagging knee injury, that's a problem)...........and the cast he had on the field in the AFCCG was really beat up and not very impactful.

The Bills #1 weapon is STILL Josh Allen.

Allen has improved a lot as a game manager but he's not mid-career Tom Brady where you expect him to be 35-35 in terms of accuracy and placement on short-to-intermediate throws........he's gonna' miss a few and throw a few flat balls that would have been better with more air under them..........big plays still need to be part of his arsenal to be dominant at this point.

Defense's like the Bills are designed to make teams run lot's of plays to get into scoring position............there is a reason that is a strategy..........big plays are important.

Way to overreact.  In practice they are working on specific things.  Nobody's trying to change the Bills offense into a dink and dunk fest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Read the comments from Daboll

I don’t remember this. He was held out of TC? Do you remember what it was for? He got hurt week one. 

Well yolo

You need 35 more reactions to be the first person I board history to hit 60000.

We love all the great work you do for us thanks 

Know just remember Scott is going to send you the bill for hosting for this year

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Allen lights it up
Quarterback Josh Allen had one of his best practices of training camp. He completed his first 15 passes during team drills before a deep shot to wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders hit the turf. The first-team offense was generating consistent long drives against the starting defense. Allen found Sanders for five completions and Beasley for seven completions. The offense seemed to be targeting slot corner Taron Johnson in key situations. Allen also had a pretty touchdown throw to wide receiver Gabriel Davis in the corner of the end zone.

Sanders getting better as camp goes on
Sanders is starting to string together strong practices and is taking advantage of the extra targets with Stefon Diggs out. A foot injury has slowed Sanders and caused him to miss time, but when he has been on the field, he has looked like the reliable playmaker the Bills anticipated getting when they signed him. Allen looks more than comfortable going his way in every situation.

Young corners make plays
The Bills’ depth at cornerback isn’t as strong as it has been in the past, but a few of their young players stood out Tuesday. Siran Neal has been all over the field and logged a few strong reps during one-on-one drills. His physicality at the catch point continues to stand out, but he looks quicker and isn’t allowing as much separation as in the past. He’ll be a useful depth option.

Meanwhile, Cam Lewis had his best practice of training camp. He had an interception in one-on-ones and two pressures during team drills. If not for an injury, he might have taken Johnson’s job as the starting slot corner last season. If the Bills keep six cornerbacks, Lewis has a shot.

The other cornerback who played well was Rachad Wildgoose. The sixth-round pick had multiple pass breakups and continues to show a willingness to hit that is a prerequisite to play in this secondary. The Bills should be encouraged by what they’ve seen from him.

Leaky offensive line
Allen’s day was more impressive considering how much pressure the defensive line was generating. A.J. Epenesa beat Spencer Brown for a pressure, Harrison Phillips got by Ike Boettger, and Jerry Hughes seemed to beat whoever lined up across from him. It was the first time Hughes looked so dominant since his return to practice. He’s showing no signs of slowing down.

Singletary continues his strong summer

Devin Singletary took advantage of Zack Moss’ absence last week and had 48 total yards and a touchdown against the Lions. That strong performance has carried over into practice this week. On Tuesday, he ripped off two big runs during the period of practice when the Bills were focusing on the running game. He then had a catch during team drills. Although Moss got off to a hot start in camp, Singletary hasn’t gone away.

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

For anyone who can't hear what Kuechly's saying, here's the trancsript:

1st frame: "This music sucks, I'm leaving."

2nd frame: "Tremaine, dude, you gotta try In-and-Out. The service is great. They get you right through that drive-thru (makes zip sound and hand motion) really fast."

3rd frame: "If you need me to play right now, I'll take Milano's spot...easy. Sound good?"

Tremaine: "Let's do it! (Claps)"

4th frame: "Yo, you know of any good hunting or fishing spots around here?"

• Haha (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Well yolo

You need 35 more reactions to be the first person I board history to hit 60000.

We love all the great work you do for us thanks 

Know just remember Scott is going to send you the bill for hosting for this year

Haha I have no idea how those reactions work. Is it negative ones too that count?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cool for Milano too knowing they were both star linebackers for Boston College one right after the other. Milano has obviously been living in Kuechlys shadow to a degree following him at BC then working under his former DC from Carolina, must be cool to get to pick his brain like this. 

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If we dink and dunk teams to death it's just as effective.

If he had played that style against the Chiefs we would have had a fighting chance.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Way to overreact.   Nobody's trying to change the Bills offense into a dink and dunk fest.

I was responding to @HappyDays post (quoted AGAIN, above, for you).

Clearly,  right?

So yes, somebody was advocating "a dink and dunk fest".:beer:

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was responding to @HappyDays post (quoted AGAIN, above, for you).

Clearly,  right?

So yes, somebody was advocating "a dink and dunk fest".:beer:

I'm in favor of being able to dink and dunk when and if you have to...always be able to win in different ways. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Should we be worried about Diggs’ knee?

I’ll be worried until he returns to practice. But he’s been out there every day, just not participating. So it’s not like he’s having to get treatment during practice,  and I’m assuming  if there’s no real necessity for him to practice or play in preseason, they can bubble wrap him and rest any minor injuries right now and he can return after the last preseason game with 2 weeks to get ready for week 1. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ll be worried until he returns to practice. But he’s been out there every day, just not participating. So it’s not like he’s having to get treatment during practice,  and I’m assuming  if there’s no real necessity for him to practice or play in preseason, they can bubble wrap him and rest any minor injuries right now and he can return after the last preseason game with 2 weeks to get ready for week 1. 

This discussion about 14… are we worried that SD is really hurt? When might he return??

Maybe someone slipped something into my beer(s) tonight, but it occurred to me ‘what if we just protect Stefon until we need him?’

In individual games, and over the course of the season in general, is where my thoughts ran to…

I know he’s not a china doll, but does it make any sense in the football world to essentially keep him on ice until such time as we need him to help pull out an individual game? And at the end of the year when we need him to be not hobbled by an oblique something or other…

Edited by Rhode Island Red
Typo
  • Thank you (+1) 1