Jags: Open competition at QB to start week 1 (update - it’s over)

YoloinOhio

Precautions I’m sure. Once the season is lost, I’m sure they’ll put him right in.

Gardner Minshew is Fitzmagic 2.0. He doesn’t have the tools physically of a good QB, but there’s no denying that he is smart.

Let Lawrence pick his brain for 6-7 games and then trade Minshew for picks next year, I’m sure someone would take him.

Edited by Victory Formation

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They start with Houston though, no better team to go against in your first game 

That will make the loss down right embarassing..

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, this is just what they have to say, right? It's the right thing for Meyer to say to keep camp competitive and try to get the best out of his players.

I wouldnt compare any team to what the Jets are doing as some sort of guideline or measuring stick. They are a mess. And it's delicious.

plane-crash-crashing.gif

I think it is WAAAAAY too early to think that Zach Wilson won't be good.  The few college games that I saw him in makes me think he could be very good if he can hold up physically.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Precautions I’m sure. Once the season is lost, I’m sure they’ll put him right in.

Gardner Minshew is Fitzmagic 2.0. He doesn’t have the tools physically of a good QB, but there’s no denying that he is smart.

Let Lawrence pick his brain for 6-7 games and then trade Minshew for picks next year, I’m sure someone would take him.

Who has a slew of picks and let the bearded one get away? Miami :thumbsup: Why not replace him with the wish.com version?

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So let me get this straight. Zach Wilson (!) is handed the starting job with Jersey. They have no competition for him or even a vet backup (or anyone who has ever taken a snap in a reg season game). But the most highly rated QB in a decade, with 3 years starting experience in college, the consensus #1 overall pick who probably would have gone #1 as a true sophomore… or freshman..  isn’t handed the job. And it’s because … Gardner minshew.  I don’t know which scenario is more crazy to me. 

The Titans are going to walk that division so may as well let Lawrence sit a few games and adjust. 

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well now they are but even Beane admits they didn’t go about it the right way in his rookie year. Still can’t believe they went into the year with him and peterman. And while that could kind of compare to what the jags are doing with minshew, minshew is better than peterman and josh was considered a raw project and not expected to start right away. I see Trevor as ready to go. He might not be perfect on day one but not going to develop on the bench. Seems like a charade to me. 

If Lawrence is as good as everybody thinks (and I thought he was good in college, but not the best QB to ever play college football as some want to bring the hyperbole about) then he should beat out Minshew fair and square.  

As for Peterman, is he still on the Raiders?  

Just now, Paup 1995MVP said:

If Lawrence is as good as everybody thinks (and I thought he was good in college, but not the best QB to ever play college football as some want to bring the hyperbole about) then he should beat out Minshew fair and square.  

As for Peterman, is he still on the Raiders?  

Yes peterman was re-signed to the raiders this off-season 

12 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Jimmy Johnson has entered the chat.

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pete Carroll

kliff kingsbury? Hasn’t really done anything yet but not fired yet either so 

Jim harbaugh (should have stayed in nfl actually)

A. I consider Chip Kelly an obvious failure. Yes, he has marginal success at first. But imploded nicely.

B. Pete Carrol was a coach in the NFL---for the Bills, for God's sake!

C. Jim Harbaugh PLAYED in the NFL. And he was an assistant coach for the Raiders

D. Kliff Kingsbury PLAYED in the  NFL. Not much, mind you. He's probably the closest thing since Jimmy Johnson to have some success in the NFL without prior NFL coaching experience. As far as I know Jimmy is the last one to have clear success as a head coach with ZERO prior NFL experience.

Only time will tell us what the Jags got with Urban. I know I wouldn't have gone in that direction given the past track record of guys who have tried to go directly to HC with ZERO NFL experience. But I'd say having an open QB competition with a rookie and a popular player with some reasonable success is a smart move on his part.

Edited by The Dean

• 2 weeks later...
  • YoloinOhio changed the title to Jags: Open competition at QB to start week 1 (update - it’s over)
1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Bears might be one to follow with their rookie. Interested to see how they handle Dalton and Foles if they do. I don't know the details of their contracts, but I'd guess at least 1 of them would be released.

The bears announced yesterday dalton will still start week 1, which had always been the plan. They did not hold an open competition. Fields was never going to win the job. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

The bears announced yesterday dalton will still start week 1, which had always been the plan. They did not hold an open competition. Fields was never going to win the job. 

Yeah I get that, but I'd bet they fold to the pressure sooner than later....

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Week 2, possible 

Yeah I could see it. Wonder what/if they do with Dalton/Foles and if so, will it be before season starts? To be sure they wouldn't keep paying that amount for both as back ups? I wouldn't think so anyways...

2 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah I could see it. Wonder what/if they do with Dalton/Foles and if so, will it be before season starts? To be sure they wouldn't keep paying that amount for both as back ups? I wouldn't think so anyways...

Foles wants to be traded. Bears are probably waiting to see if anyone loses a QB before cut down day to trade him

• Like (+1) 1

I'm of the mindset that its good for rookie QB's to sit a while. Learn, grow and develop. 

Many of these guys come with 1 year experience or from a program  that doesn't use an NFL style playbook. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Foles wants to be traded. Bears are probably waiting to see if anyone loses a QB before cut down day to trade him

Ok, I missed that. Wasn't aware he was requesting to be traded. Yeah they don't have long, but it's definitely possible a QB can get injured these last few days that's left.

Just now, DJB said:

I'm of the mindset that its good for rookie QB's to sit a while. Learn, grow and develop. 

Many of these guys come with 1 year experience or from a program  that doesn't use an NFL style playbook. 

That Jags OLine doesn't look to be the type of situation I would want my franchise rookie behind, at least not right away.

The Jets have been trying to address theirs so Zach Wilson doesn't get lit up, and ZW has looked unrattled in pre-season.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

That Jags OLine doesn't look to be the type of situation I would want my franchise rookie behind, at least not right away.

The Jets have been trying to address theirs so Zach Wilson doesn't get lit up, and ZW has looked unrattled in pre-season.

Very true.  Wilson has had a relatively clean pocket back there in preseason.

Fields and Lawrence, not so much.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Very true.  Wilson has had a relatively clean pocket back there in preseason.

Was that against back-ups mostly? Or a mixture? I don't know because I didn't pay but so much attention. Not sure how many teams have been sitting many starters like the Bills have. Either way the true test of how their OL holds up is yet to be seen.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Was that against back-ups mostly? Or a mixture? I don't know because I didn't pay but so much attention. Not sure how many teams have been sitting many starters like the Bills have. Either way the true test of how their OL holds up is yet to be seen.

Not sure..  Wilson has started for the Jets, but I don't know if he was facing starters on defense or if he's facing rotation-guys/backups like the Bills are doing.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Foles' story is amazing. From Super Bowl MVP, out duelling the GOAT to the situation he's in now.

Ah well, in the words of Madden, they can never take that away from him.

On 8/12/2021 at 10:30 AM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

If he doesn't, he will be the only one from college to pros that succeeded off top of my mind. Well execpt maybe Chip Kelly if you consider that success. 

Harbaugh took that 69ers team from basement to contender so freaking fast! Too bad for him the only tool he had in the box was a hammer. If he had a little more touch and finesse he could've been great 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Foles' story is amazing. From Super Bowl MVP, out duelling the GOAT to the situation he's in now.

Ah well, in the words of Madden, they can never take that away from him.

His stats at times have been superb too. I just don't get how he can be a #3 QB! (I suppose Fields will be #2)

14 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yup. One of those that thrived in a particular system and was great, but after that he dropped off quickly. 

"Dropped off quickly" with the Jags and Bears. Maybe it isn't just Foles.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I watched the first half of the Bears game thinking they have to start Justin Fields at qb for the sake of the team.

After watching the second half, I realized they have to start Andy Dalton for the sake of Justin Fields... He needs time to develop or else he's going to get killed. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1