1st official depth chart has been released

HappyDays

11 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The one thing we lack is a hybrid lb like Lorax who can cover and rush the passer. We sometimes blitz lbs up the middle, but we don't have anyone who can beat blocks 1-on-one with linemen. There needs to be the threat of the edge rushers dropping into coverage or else the offense will just get the ball out quick and dink-and-dunk us to death.

I would not be surprised to see epenesa pick up that role 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:Somebody commented that this depth chart might be structured to showcase how good a potential trade candidate is.

I think the depth chart at this stage is structured largely as a motivational tool, rewarding some players for their effort to date and giving some others a wake up call. 

It is nice to have at least a few positions where we will have to cut quality players vs 6 years ago we were watching other teams to cuts to figure who we could poach. Only place I am real nervous is DBs, any injuries and I don't know anything about the next guy back there 

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… still a little confused on their approach here.

Generally you should try to limit the number of positions where an injury would kill your season.  Most teams that’s at least QB and that’s largely unavoidable (tho the Bills addressed that a bit this offseason).  If Tre White gets hurt I don’t see how this team competes.  Not an ideal spot to be in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rousseau and AJE have by most accounts looked better in camp and there is just a logjam at the position. I wouldn't be too worried yet. He will be on the team. 

Why is AJE behind Addison?

And, after reading camp reports, I am surprised to see Obada at #3 for LDE. Is it because of the logjam?

14 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah I agree. I had high hopes for H. Phillips. Probably because he resembled Kyle Williams a little bit and was hoping he was the perfect replacement. Unfortunately it's been a little disappointing. 

Never understood the Phillips/Williams comparison. They're completely different style players. Williams was a pass rusher that was meh against the run. Phillips is good against the run and poor against the pass. They're a similar weight but built different. Harrison is taller with skinny legs.  

I take these early depth charts with a grain of salt.  Are they listed  in the order they are more just for "political" reasons  Example; Phillips is listed behind Butler as they feel he has more trade ability so hope to draw interest, If no one inquires come September, Butler is cut and they keep Phillips, same with D Johnson.  Stevenson behind Williams just because he's a rookie?

Having said all that, I think all 6th and 7th round picks this year are destined for the PS  Many here will argue in the past Beane always kept his draft picks, but think it was because that was easy to do due to lack of overall depth.  This year can't see him doing that and also improving the overall roster.

On offense no wonder the Bills were so good last season, they have 12 players 1st team.  Refs never caught that!!  LOL

Overall to me looks pretty easy, keep the 12 1st teams, all 2nd teamers except J Douglas then add three 3rd teams in Hodgins, Sweeney, and Brieda.  Wouldn't also surprise me if the 3rd TE is someone not on the roster today and not necessarily named Etrz either.  Could se a pickup there.  Not sure how Q Morris is as a blocker, if as good as Sweeney, could see him taking that spot instead.

On defense it's a bit more blurry IMO.  Certainly all 1st teamers are in.  2nd teamers, think all are locks except Dodson, Butler, Wildgoose, and Hamlin.  Wouldn't say they don't make it, but not locks either.   Maybe Phillips jumps Butler.  Does Wildgoose make it just because they want to keep 6 CB, or instead do they go with 5 CB and 5 S?  Or does Cam Lewis make it instead of Wildgoose?  Can A Smith play MLB?  If so, think he's in and Dodson is out.  Not sure you even need a backup for Klein considering how rare they even play 3 LB's.  Can T Thompson also play strong safety, if so he makes it over Hamlin.  

3rd teamers; Basham, Obada or Johnson (if not both) are in as is Matakevich plus I think Phillips sticks in the end as he is the best natural backup to Star.  So that leaves me with 18 1st and 2nd teamers for certain make the team and then a combo of 7 more 2nd and 3rd teamers and won't count out the one 4th teamer in D Johnson.  In the end, think it will be 10 D Line, 5 LB, and 10 secondary in some undetermined combination

Throw in 3 ST on top of all that so end up with 25 each offense and defense and 3 ST.

I also think in the end some of this gets completely blown up as likely one or two legit injuries that lands someone on IR and if no legit ones, then one or two more invented injury moves to IR, that paper cut that just isn't healing right.  Example; I think either Doyle or Brown ends up on IR and someone on the D line.  Unless Beane can make some trades instead.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Feel like there isn’t much that separates any of the Guards as you go down the depth chart. It’s good in that you have quality depth, it’s bad in that none are real stand out starters. 

This. To be fair, Beane can't put blue-chip or even red-chip players everywhere, but he seems to be just crossing his fingers at guard. (I won't say anything about Wyatt Teller, I won't, I won't!)

On 8/12/2021 at 10:33 AM, BuffaloBill said:

To me Phillips is emerging as the most likely surprise cut - Beane and McDermott have been loyal to their draft picks. Seems like Harry has never really regained form after the injury. 

I think we will see how he plays tonight.  I'm sure as 3rd on the depth chart he gets a lot of playing time.

I will wait to see how he looks.

11 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think we will see how he plays tonight.  I'm sure as 3rd on the depth chart he gets a lot of playing time.

I will wait to see how he looks.

Yup. Get a better idea after a couple preseason games to maybe narrow down who may go