How much to play Allen and the starters in the preseason?

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I actually would be surprised if Josh plays at all in a live game where he could be hit until Dion Dawkins is back and has a few practices under his belt.

Anything's possible. If they do play it will only be for a series or two. It's a fine line between not getting your starters hurt but also making sure they get some work in as well. We will see what McDermott does on Friday. I can't wait as we finally have a Bills game to watch.

So many returning starters... id rather not play them at all.  I'd probably only play trubiskey a couple of quarters in the 3 games. It's really the Fromm/Webb show to see who is PS.  

The roster is long enough to avoid playing starters, and there's a number of depth positions that haven't been figured out yet.  Anyone on the roster bubble plays, everyone else just practice in the controlled environment.  

I wouldn't play any snaps in preseason for these guys

Allen

Moss/Singletary

Diggs/Sanders/Bease/Davis and honestly McKenzie/Knox

Dawkins,Feliciano,Morse,Williams

Hughes/Addison (assuming neither is on the bubble)

Lotulelei/Oliver/Butler

Milano/Edmunds/Klein

White/Poyer/Hyde/Wallace/Johnson

16 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Anything's possible. If they do play it will only be for a series or two. It's a fine line between not getting your starters hurt but also making sure they get some work in as well. We will see what McDermott does on Friday. I can't wait as we finally have a Bills game to watch.

If anything it's probably the first game since that gives any ankle sprains the longest to heal. But returning so many starters and veterans, i question the need.

I think this is really interesting.  If it was me - I don’t want them to play much at all.  

Week 1 - starters 0 snaps - give a huge amount of rotation between 2nd, 3rd, and 4th teamers - mixing guys around to see if you can get full comparisons.  Like letting AW get some early snaps at RB along with Matt and Devin.  And have Matt and/or Devin run some later in a series against the same competition as AW.

Week 2 - 1-2 series just a warm-up to get them ready for the feeling on the road and with a crowd.

Week 3 - A couple of series - maybe the full first quarter.  I would also look to take starters out mid drive to simulate an injury and getting someone ready and in place on short notice.  Maybe start with replacing JA and Diggs after a first down and go from there.

I wonder if McD will want to have them perform a 2 minute drill and have them come out after halftime to practice those scenarios?  I hope not, but he is so detail oriented that I know ideally with no injuries he would like to cover those scenarios.

• Like (+1) 1

Wouldn't play Allen, Diggs, Cole, Sanders, Dawkins, Morse, Moss, Singletary, White, Milano, Poyer, Hyde, Hughes, Tre more then 1 to 2 series in the 3rd game.  

I don't want to see any of those guys on the field before the 3rd game.  But I bet a few of them get one series in the 2nd game (the OL minus Morse, Moss, Motor).  

I wouldn't play Morse at all.  Or Milano if he got his bell rung today.  

Unleash hell in week 1.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/8/2021 at 1:10 PM, Virgil said:

No more than a series in each game.  Maybe a quarter in the 2nd game 

Why does he need even a series ? Why take any chances in a meaningless game ? 
I think he did pretty darn good last year without any preseason games , 

Not only him but I’d keep Dawkins, Tre , and Diggs on the sidelines ...

Edited by Putin

Josh — 1-2 series each game (simply to break a sweat)

Diggs/Beasley — Bubble wrap

Morse — only when Josh is playing

Rest of offense — as much work as coaches think they need

Tre/Levi/Hyde/Poyer/Hughes — Bubble wrap

Edmunds/Milano — 1-2 series each game

Rest of defense — let ‘em fight it out, particularly on the DL

McKenzie — PR/KR all preseason

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

As weird as it sounds, I'd be fine with your suggestions for Allen, but don't really want to see many of the other starters play.

I know injuries can happen to anyone, but as long as he knows not to take off running & just gets a series or two in dropping back, staying in the pocket & getting rid of the ball (whether for a completion or not), he should be fine.

On the flip side, I'd rather not see Diggs or Sanders or Beasley, as they need to run & face a lot more contact even if they're not going 100%. Risk of injury or something going wrong on a block or tackle is a lot higher, and I hope they don't play much at all. 

I say let them get a couple of series in the first two games just to get some burn at real game speed. After that let them play the entire 1st quarter of the 3rd game. In total it will be about two quarters worth of action just to get everyone ready to go. There are some real battles along the trenches on both sides of the ball that need to be sorted out in the preseason, as well as the WR/CB depth chart behind the guys we know are going to be here. They need the most work. 

Wouldn't care if they were even in the stadium on gamedays.

The only thing that can happen from pre-season is injuries.

IMO, entrenched starters play not to get hurt, and that's when you end up getting hurt.

Last year showed Pre-season is not needed.

Diggs first game with Allen. 8 for 86.

Edited by CountDorkula
  • Like (+1) 1

This team has a ton of continuity.  

Same QB.  Same OL.  Same RBs.  Same WRs.  Same TEs.

I'm sure Josh can develop chemistry with Sanders, Hollister and Breida in practice.  

Defense.... Secondary and Linebackers are much the same.  DL with some guys who could use playing time in preseason with the rookies, AJ and Star coming back.  

Not sure why the starters should be out there more than a few series all of preseason, especially on Offense. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

I like seeing the backups and rookies through preseason because thats where the more important decisions will take place IMO. Starters will get plenty of game play soon enough IMO. Lots of players on the opposition trying to earn a spot on their roster and a big hit on the QB looks good. 

Showcase Mitch Trubisky and Fromm a little and let them take the hits. I'm interested in seeing how well Trubisky can get the job done.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/8/2021 at 2:24 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

I’d like to see a lot of Trubisky. A good looking Mitch can only boost his trade value for a team in need of a QB. I’m not looking to trade Mitch early, but later on he could get the Bills a pick in future drafts

No way I'm trading Trubisky!  The whole reason Trubisky is here is as an insurance policy, especially in the playoffs.  Remember when Mahomes went down in the playoffs last season & Chad Henne saved KC vs Cleveland?  I don't want to see a repeat of the Houston game when Josh was a rookie & Peterman lost the game, especially in a playoff game.  I don't trust Fromm or Davis to preserve a victory in the playoffs like Henne did before Mahomes returned the next week. 

Imagine if we had traded Frank Reich for a draft pick in the Super Bowl years.  That's how valuable Trubisky is to this seaason's Super Bowl run. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow- 

interesting considering he’s a young QB In a totally new offense. 

If he doesn’t play, josh doesn’t need to play. But I have a feeling that he will, in game 3.

It's honestly the smart thing to do. I don't want Josh playing a single snap in pre-season. 

12 minutes ago, dakrider said:

Since only 3 games and a 2 week period before reg season starts - should play 1st Qtr of each game imo. 

He’s definitely out tomorrow so we are only looking at games 2 and 3 now. I think it depends a lot on Dawkins. I probably would play him a series in game 3 as long as the starting OL is out there. It’s at home, give him a warm up, then get ready for week 1.

Since we now have a 17 game season, AND since we are for sure making the playoffs, I'd consider using regular season week 1 as the true tune-up game, since we dont NEED it.

As far as starters, sometimes you have to play them in preseason, just to see how the fringe players actually perform alongside real NFL players.

Bottom line: 

1) zero JA17 until Dawkins is back to game shape.  If that's not until week 1, so be it

2) Mitch needs time with starting WRs a little.  Just a little.

3) zero Tremaine Edmunds.  There isnt anything he does in this D that will make/break any evaluation for any other defender (unlike Mitch with the WR1s).  And plus too, I dont need him injured in a 'contract' year

4) zero Tre White.  Let the scrub corners play a lot.

Edited by maddenboy

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I just don't think there's anything to gain from it. Not when you have an elite player like that. 

Agreed.

Last year there were no preseason games at all, and quarterbacking around the league was still at a high level.

If anything, I'd say the 2020 preseason-less year shows that preseason games aren't necessary at all for established players. Their only real purpose seems to be settling position battles and determining the 53-man roster.

It would be cool if there could be some kind of Summer league like the NBA has, where rosters of young guys and hopefuls face off against each others, while the established starters and stars of the league don't have to risk their bodies in meaningless games.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

Last year there were no preseason games at all, and quarterbacking around the league was still at a high level.

If anything, I'd say the 2020 preseason-less year shows that preseason games aren't necessary at all for established players. Their only real purpose seems to be settling position battles and determining the 53-man roster.

It would be cool if there could be some kind of Summer league like the NBA has, where rosters of young guys and hopefuls face off against each others, while the established starters and stars of the league don't have to risk their bodies in meaningless games.

Yup, just not worth the risk at all. I mean I guess if my QB were to get hurt I'd rather it be in a meaningful game