Sabres finally fire krueger

Reed83HOF

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't follow hockey.  What made him so bad of a HC?

He should have never been hired.    The guy was an international hockey coach who had rarely coached at the NHL level.   Not to mention he had been out of Hockey and in Soccer predominately since 2014.  

The game had passed him by and the players on the team knew it.   Obviously his scheme doesnt work, but I dont think the players were all that interested in playing it in the first place.   The Sabres whiffed bad on this hire.   The players were already on their way to checking out, and when they hired what the players viewed as a Soccer guy to coach them they completely checked out.   The Sabres desperately need a proven hockey coach for their next hire.  The culture is a mess.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

I take no joy in his firing. He seemed like a really great guy. But he was in over his head and his press conferences were starting to get embarrassing. He didn’t even know what to say anymore. He has to be a bit relieved.

Now I just pray they don’t disappoint me with the new hire, but I know it’s coming. 

This team absolutely needs a proven, successful veteran NHL coach to teach them how to win more than any other team in the NHL.

How can someone with no NHL experience teach you how to win in the NHL? We’re out of time for learning on the job.

This is the LAST coach they get the chance to hire with Jack Eichel still a Sabre. That I am sure of. It seems insane to me to gamble on another inexperienced coach.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I take no joy in his firing. He seemed like a really great guy. But he was in over his head and his press conferences were starting to get embarrassing. He didn’t even know what to say anymore. He has to be a bit relieved.

Now I just pray they don’t disappoint me with the new hire, but I know it’s coming. 

This team absolutely needs a proven, successful veteran NHL coach to teach them how to win more than any other team in the NHL.

How can someone with no NHL experience teach you how to win in the NHL? We’re out of time for learning on the job.

This is the LAST coach they get the chance to hire with Jack Eichel still a Sabre. That I am sure of. It seems insane to me to gamble on another inexperienced coach.

Team checked out long ago, had to happen. 

Yes, we need a known entity at coach.  Someone who can coach not just on the ice, but off the ice.  Someone who can instill a sense of team pride.  Seen changes in head coach and quick turn around by that team.  Hopefully we get a guy that can do this.

Question is, who’s out there to fit the bill?

6 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Yes, we need a known entity at coach.  Someone who can coach not just on the ice, but off the ice.  Someone who can instill a sense of team pride.  Seen changes in head coach and quick turn around by that team.  Hopefully we get a guy that can do this.

Bruce Boudreau. And reportedly he’d love to coach here (he also has family in the area and was born right across the border).

Record:

2007-08: Hired by Washington after the Caps start 6-14-1 (looks like our record, right?). Their record that season after Boudreau was hired: 37-17-7. 81 pts in 61 games.
2008-09: 108 pts
2009-10: 121 pts
2010-11: 107 pts
2011-12: 25 pts in 22 games then Washington fired him.

2011-12: Hired by Anaheim that same season, and then went 27-23-8 with the Ducks.
62 pts in 58 games. The Ducks were 7-13-4 under Randy Carlyle before Boudreau took over.

He then turned the Ducks into a powerhouse the following seasons.

2012-13: 66 pts in 48 games (good for the 3rd best record in the NHL during that lockout-shortened season)
2013-14: 116 pts
2014-15: 109 pts
2015-16: 103 pts - He's then fired by the Ducks after a disappointing first round playoff exit to a red hot team (after never averaging less than 100 pts/season).

2016-17: 106 pts - First season with the Wild. Minnesota had 87 pts the previous season.
2017-18: 101 pts
2018-19: 83 pts
2019-20: 61 pts in 57 games.

If Boudreau can’t improve this team nobody can.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Somewhat Sabres related. Isles Anders Lee is having surgery today and is lost for the season. Lou Lamoriello met with the media this morning. With the trade dead line April 12 he mentioned that they need scoring. They needed it even if Lee didn't get hurt. Taylor Hall was one of the names mentioned. Good chance the Sabres phone will be ringing and it will be Lou on the other end of the call.

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Somewhat Sabres related. Isles Anders Lee is having surgery today and is lost for the season. Lou Lamoriello met with the media this morning. With the trade dead line April 12 he mentioned that they need scoring. They needed it even if Lee didn't get hurt. Taylor Hall was one of the names mentioned. Good chance the Sabres phone will be ringing and it will be Lou on the other end of the call.

Needs scoring...wants Taylor Hall...weird.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Hall isn’t even a shadow of his former self. Granted, he didn’t envision having Riley Sheehan and Tage Thompson as linemates either, but he was struggling well before that. His game has always been skating and winning puck battles, now I see him falling on his ass half the time. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Bruce Boudreau. And reportedly he’d love to coach here (he also has family in the area and was born right across the border).

Record:

2007-08: Hired by Washington after the Caps start 6-14-1 (looks like our record, right?). Their record that season after Boudreau was hired: 37-17-7. 81 pts in 61 games.
2008-09: 108 pts
2009-10: 121 pts
2010-11: 107 pts
2011-12: 25 pts in 22 games then Washington fired him.

2011-12: Hired by Anaheim that same season, and then went 27-23-8 with the Ducks.
62 pts in 58 games. The Ducks were 7-13-4 under Randy Carlyle before Boudreau took over.

He then turned the Ducks into a powerhouse the following seasons.

2012-13: 66 pts in 48 games (good for the 3rd best record in the NHL during that lockout-shortened season)
2013-14: 116 pts
2014-15: 109 pts
2015-16: 103 pts - He's then fired by the Ducks after a disappointing first round playoff exit to a red hot team (after never averaging less than 100 pts/season).

2016-17: 106 pts - First season with the Wild. Minnesota had 87 pts the previous season.
2017-18: 101 pts
2018-19: 83 pts
2019-20: 61 pts in 57 games.

If Boudreau can’t improve this team nobody can.

I'd love to see Boudreau here, he has taken every team he's coached to the playoffs.    He isn't a Stanley Cup coach, but at this point the Sabres shouldnt be thinking about the Cup.   They desperately need to fix the festering culture they have and Boudreau can do that in the short term, but I dont think he can be a long term answer due to age.     Ideally you could bring in a younger coach, but with how bad its gotten I think you need to bring in someone with some respect in the league. 

10 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Goes to a probable playoff team and being coached by one of the best in hockey. I could see Hall finding his scoring touch. Right now the Sabres situation is just bad and depressing. 

14 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I'd love to see Boudreau here, he has taken every team he's coached to the playoffs.    He isn't a Stanley Cup coach, but at this point the Sabres shouldnt be thinking about the Cup.   They desperately need to fix the festering culture they have and Boudreau can do that in the short term, but I dont think he can be a long term answer due to age.     Ideally you could bring in a younger coach, but with how bad its gotten I think you need to bring in someone with some respect in the league. 

Yeah they need someone with experience who can teach these guys how to win in the NHL. I don’t see how another inexperienced coach does that, They don’t have experienced players or an experienced front office.

As far as Boudreau not being a Stanley cup coach, everyone said the same thing about Barry Trotz, who never made it past the 2nd round before winning the cup with Washington.

I think it was more circumstances than Boudreau suddenly forgetting how to coach in the playoffs. He ran into some really good and/or red hot teams.

Im preparing myself for another disappointing hire though. 
I feel like if they wanted one of the veteran coaches available, they probably wouldn’t be naming Don Granato interim coach for the remainder of the season. When Calgary fired their coach they immediately named Darryl Sutter as replacement. 

We are the only team that needs a coach right now. We have our pick of the litter. If we wait until the offseason we’ll be competing with a bunch more teams.

Edited by BillsFan4

35 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah they need someone with experience who can teach these guys how to win in the NHL. I don’t see how another inexperienced coach does that, They don’t have experienced players or an experienced front office.

As far as Boudreau not being a Stanley cup coach, everyone said the same thing about Barry Trotz, who never made it past the 2nd round before winning the cup with Washington.

I think it was more circumstances than Boudreau suddenly forgetting how to coach in the playoffs. He ran into some really good and/or red hot teams.

Im preparing myself for another disappointing hire though. 
I feel like if they wanted one of the veteran coaches available, they probably wouldn’t be naming Don Granato interim coach for the remainder of the season. When Calgary fired their coach they immediately named Darryl Sutter as replacement. 

We are the only team that needs a coach right now. We have our pick of the litter. If we wait until the offseason we’ll be competing with a bunch more teams.

I think they want to wait to bring someone in to make sure the stink of this season doesnt get on them.    Had they fired Krueger earlier I think they probably would have tried to bring in another coach to salvage the season, but it's just too far gone now.    I think bringing someone into mess right now may just ruin things for that person next year as well.

I think if Boudreau wants into the organization that bad his interest will still be there next season.   Like you I am expecting something less exciting.  One guy to keep an eye on if they dont bring in someone with NHL head coach experience (they should) is Jeff Daniels the Assistant Coach in Carolina.   Played with Adams during his career, and coached him for a year as well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

There are 3 great choices out there right now: Claude Julien, Bruce Boudreau, and Gerard Gallant.

I think most intelligent Sabres fans would be happy with any of those 3, but Boudreau is probably the most popular choice.

Here's the problem: if Boudreau was going to be named next HC, it would have happened today, commensurately with Ralph's firing.

They have had plenty of time to iron that out and prepare for this day.

No Boudreau (or other big 3 names) today means none of them at all IMO.

I expect us to do the wrong thing, and hire a college coach, perhaps.

The name to watch is Nate Leaman, current HC at Providence.

This group of players needs a competent NHL coach who knows how to win.  That's it! 

We have 3 great choices lined up...and we will hire none of them! 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

There are 3 great choices out there right now: Claude Julien, Bruce Boudreau, and Gerard Gallant.

I think most intelligent Sabres fans would be happy with any of those 3, but Boudreau is probably the most popular choice.

Here's the problem: if Boudreau was going to be named next HC, it would have happened today, commensurately with Ralph's firing.

This group of players needs a competent NHL coach who knows how to win.  That's it! 

Appreciate the info.

This is Adams first go around with this, right?  Maybe he didn’t have his backup plan set.  Maybe happened quicker than the team initially thought.  Doubt it though...

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

They won’t name a coach until after the season. None of the three mentioned have to be hired immediately and it makes perfect sense that if any of them were contacted previously, that they would choose to wait and have this lost season finish, especially with our best forward and best goalie not likely to come back. Makes no sense to coach players in a series of totally meaningless games, especially when a bunch of them won’t be in future plans. An argument could be made that it would provide a new coach an opportunity to see what he’s got, but that is already blatantly obvious and I suspect Boudreau et al, already have a pretty good idea. 

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think they want to wait to bring someone in to make sure the stink of this season doesnt get on them.    Had they fired Krueger earlier I think they probably would have tried to bring in another coach to salvage the season, but it's just too far gone now.    I think bringing someone into mess right now may just ruin things for that person next year as well.

I think if Boudreau wants into the organization that bad his interest will still be there next season.   Like you I am expecting something less exciting.  One guy to keep an eye on if they dont bring in someone with NHL head coach experience (they should) is Jeff Daniels the Assistant Coach in Carolina.   Played with Adams during his career, and coached him for a year as well.

It does make sense not to saddle a new coach with this horrible season.

I really do want to hold out hope that they hire a proven coach. I just have so little faith left that this team does the right thing.

My dream hire is Rod Brind’amor but I don’t see any way he actually leaves carolina. Boudreau is definitely next on my list. I think he’d be a great fit and I think the style of hockey he wants to play would fit well for guys like Eichel and Dahlin.

I really wanted Laviolette before he went to Washington. He would’ve been a good fit as well. I’d take Gallant in a heart beat too. Or Julien, but he’d be lower on my list than the other I mentioned.

I just worry about waiting until the offseason when a bunch more teams will be looking for coaches, and I feel like they’re almost all more desirable than Buffalo at this point.

I also wonder if the Pegulas will be willing to pay big money for another coach right now. I still can’t believe they gave Krueger $4 million per year. They still owe him for at least 1 more year too.

I just don’t know how excited I can get about another unproven coach. If we had an experienced veteran core of players I’d feel much differently. But we don’t. We need someone who can teach these guys how to win in the NHL.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Those three you named would be good choices. If the Pegula's decide on one of them it might be a good idea to hire them ASAP. This season is lost but they would have half the season to evaluate the roster which would help them get a head start on fixing this mess for the 21-22 season. 

I really wanted to get back into hockey this year. By the time I remembered to purchase the nhl package I took a look to see how the Sabres were doing and decided against it. All I read is the Pegulas have made a mess of things, the GM is in over his head and we now handle scouting almost exclusively by video. Sounds like a dumpster fire, or did I miss anything? 

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

It can't get any worse:

A no experience GM of the worst team in the NHL seeks new HC.

.....well, maybe it could.

I was just going to say it can most definitely get worse... 😂

and I’m not all that confident it won’t. 

It was inevitable that Kruger got canned.  But it's not just the coach and Adams knows that.  How many coaches have the Sabres burned through with the core players on this tam?  Its about the players.

I liked what I read from Adams yesterday about having a one way conversation with the team this morning, about having pride.  I hope he walks into the locker room today, and lays into the weak little boys that make up this roster.  And I hope he cuts the first one that gives him any lip, or pouts or (like Harrington wrote in his column today about Reinhart) rolls their eyes.  Adams knows what it takes to win in the NHL, he knows you have to bring it every day, every shift; it's how he lasted so long in the league.  He may not have GM experience but I think he knows what guys show passion for the game, and he'll move the ones out who don't have it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.