Sabres finally fire krueger

Reed83HOF

Bob McKenzie talking about the Sabres coaching search. I posted this in the Sabres thread but maybe it’s better here.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/buffalo-sabres-fire-ralph-krueger-jack-eichel-out-foreseeable-future?ls=social-vid

doesn't inspire me with much hope. An exhaustive search sounds good in theory, but it just makes me think Kevyn Adams has no clue who the top candidates are or who he wants.

Most GMs, when hired, already have a short list of coaches they’d hire. They’ve done research over the years to prepare for a GM job. They have connections and hear who the top up & coming coaches are, know who the top veteran coaches are, etc.

Adams never did any of that stuff. He wasn’t even working in the NHL until last year. He was running the ******* harborcenter.

Well, at least he will be better prepared for his 2nd coaching search, though he may end up getting fired before he gets to put the knowledge he gains this time around into practice.... (joking! sort of)

For me, anything but hiring a proven veteran coach says “rebuild”.

We’re out of time for experiments and learning on the job. We need someone who’s done it before (IMO). Hiring a veteran coach says “we are going to try and win Now”.

How do you sell another inexperienced coach to this locker room? guys like Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen etc (if any are still here)? How do you sell more on the job learning? How do the players buy in, again, to another coach who’s never won in the NH, before telling them how to win in the NHL.

If they had a veteran core of players I’d feel much differently about hiring an inexperienced coach. But this team needs someone proven who can show them what it takes to win in the NHL. Where else are they going to learn it from?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.