[Incomplete Title] If Josh and Mahomes switched teams....

22 minutes ago, TonyBeets said:

I think this is very obvious.  Reid is the greatest offensive mind in NFL history.  I've never seen so many wide open receivers.  Unbelievable.

With apologies to Don Coryell, and Dick Vermiel, who were pretty awesome as well.

Josh had guys running wide open all game vs Seattle and look how he played. 

He was bad last night but he's the least of our worries. I am concerned about his confidence though. 

Any QB in the NFL could have done what Mahomes did yesterday. It was too easy.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

34 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I don't think quarterback play was the difference yesterday.

We simply had no answer for Tyreek and Kelce, and the Chiefs D looked awesome.

Its frustrating to lose, but it hurts less knowing we have a franchise qb, which we weren't even sure of 12 months ago.  

End of the day Reid and his coaches had a great game plan,  they decided to give us passes to our RB'S and TE'S and took away big plays from our WR'S. They came better prepared and when you include the talent they have on both sides of the ball are very tough to beat. I feel good because of Allen who will learn from this game and Beane who i hope also learns that they need an upgrade at RB position.  I think the best thing we can do to help Allen out is improve our defence that takes the ball away.  

35 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I don't think quarterback play was the difference yesterday.

We simply had no answer for Tyreek and Kelce, and the Chiefs D looked awesome.

Its frustrating to lose, but it hurts less knowing we have a franchise qb, which we weren't even sure of 12 months ago.  

KC’s defense was light years ahead of ours and their O-Line was letting nothing through. We have a lot of money already tied up in a CB who can’t cover top players in the playoffs and a LT who struggles with speed rushers. We have a long way to go and the media was right calling us a baby version of KC. They should’ve called us the light years version because that is how far away we are from KC.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

KC’s defense was light years ahead of ours and their O-Line was letting nothing through. We have a lot of money already tied up in a CB who can’t cover top players in the playoffs and a LT who struggles with speed rushers. We have a long way to go and the media was right calling us a baby version of KC. They should’ve called us the light years version because that is how far away we are from KC.

Tre White is more Marlon Humphrey than Jalen Ramsey.  

Look at the impact players on defense last night.   You go through 3 before you potentially get to a Bill..

Tyrann Mathieu

Chris Jones

Frank Clark

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Allen wasn't the reason we lost, but I think the Bills likely win if the QBs switched teams. Mahomes is just that good. Still can't be anything but thrilled to have Allen as the QB here though.

Couldn’t disagree more.  

Allen bought time but nobody was open.  

Mahomes bought time and Kelce was clowning people into being open by 10 feet. 

Allen was under pressure all game with no reliable release valve.  

Mahomes was comfortable in the pocket and had the benefit of massive plays from the likes of Hill and Hardman. 

Mahomes is still better right now.  Don’t worry, I’m not going there.... but Mahomes loses if he’s on the Bills last night.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Allen wasn't the reason we lost, but I think the Bills likely win if the QBs switched teams. Mahomes is just that good. Still can't be anything but thrilled to have Allen as the QB here though.

Mahomes is a great player but imagine Josh with zero pressure and one of the GOAT TEs and fastest WR in the NFL.. I mean Mahomes is just in the best QB situation maybe ever.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I agree. 

Mahomes outplayed Josh. Josh needed to take the smart short throws  yesterday, which Mahomes took.  I am sure he learns a ton from this game. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

QB play wasn’t the difference

mahomes is still better than Josh.

for now.

All I seen was a Captain Checkdown system QB.

He gets it in his playmakers hands and thats it.

I kept waiting for him to throw down field ....it never happened....they worked the Bills underneath and he was effective at distributing the ball.

BTW whats with the forward lateral to Kelce for the TD

I thought they were illegal.

Edited by JMF2006

If the Quarterbacks switched teams then the Chiefs still would have won. Mahomes got protection and free receivers, something Josh didn’t have all night. Don’t get me wrong, I do think Mahomes is better than Josh at the moment but he was helped all the way by the rest of the team.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

All I seen was a Captain Checkdown system QB.

He gets it in his playmakers hands and thats it.

I kept waiting for him to throw down field ....it never happened....they worked the Bills underneath and he was effective at distributing the ball.

BTW whats with the forward lateral to Kelce for the TD

I thought they were illegal.

Yeah, Mahomes was captain checkdown because his guys were running wide open all game long.  He’s still better than Josh.  For know. 

Why would the forward laterals be illegal? He was behind the line of scrimmage.  Forward passes.....no?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

As correctly pointed out by Romo, our receivers got zero separation, this leaded to Josh losing its confidence and throwing ints.

I think KC won on the defensive side of the field while we got no answers fot Tyrek and Travis.

Romo was spot on and justifiably low key eviscerating our coaches all game. 

Even if our Offense was clicking, KC scored on all their legitimate drives outside of a drop by a wide open Hill on the first drive of the game.  

Hey Josh, we're going to need you to score TD's every drive, our OL is going to crumble, our WR's won't get open and your release valves are a mediocre TE, a JAG RB and a slow RB who can't catch.... GO GET 'EM!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, Mahomes was captain checkdown because his guys were running wide open all game long.  He’s still better than Josh.  For know. 

Why would the forward laterals be illegal? He was behind the line of scrimmage.  Forward passes.....no?

I didn`t realize it was behind the line

I thought Kelce was beyond the line of scrimmage but I guess both players need to be....Monday morning brain cramp ;)

Edited by JMF2006
wrong thread

54 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Couldn’t disagree more.  

Allen bought time but nobody was open.  

Mahomes bought time and Kelce was clowning people into being open by 10 feet. 

Allen was under pressure all game with no reliable release valve.  

Mahomes was comfortable in the pocket and had the benefit of massive plays from the likes of Hill and Hardman. 

Mahomes is still better right now.  Don’t worry, I’m not going there.... but Mahomes loses if he’s on the Bills last night.  

Allen left a lot of throws on the field IMO. Again, not the biggest issue by any stretch. The defense and run game was abysmal, but Allen simply wasn't seeing the game the way he did pretty much all season.

Just now, DCOrange said:

Allen left a lot of throws on the field IMO. Again, not the biggest issue by any stretch. The defense and run game was abysmal, but Allen simply wasn't seeing the game the way he did pretty much all season.

Can you give some examples?  I'm honestly struggling to remember when Allen straight up missed a bunch of throws/reads.  

My biggest issue with him was his taking massive sacks, but that's just a process of him trying to do too much when the team/season is crumbling around him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Can you give some examples?  I'm honestly struggling to remember when Allen straight up missed a bunch of throws/reads.  

My biggest issue with him was his taking massive sacks, but that's just a process of him trying to do too much when the team/season is crumbling around him. 

He through too hard/high on a couple of occasions but that’s all I can think of. The sacks were worrying but he was trying to make plays out of nothing at that point. He improved on completions this season; hopefully he’ll improve on decision making in this offseason.

I just hope we don't become the also-ran AFC competition for the Chiefs in the prime of Josh's career the same way that Marino's Dolphins and Elway's Broncos could never overcome Buffalo in the playoffs so long as our core 90's group was together...we're set at QB, but obviously need to plug more holes in the roster before we can get over the Chiefs in their current iteration.

Josh is what 24?. Already back to back playoff seasons, a division championship, and two playoff wins. These experiences both the wins and losses in big games will serve him well going forward. The team is learning how to win and winning a championship is one of the hardest things to do. This was a great year for Josh and the team overall.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

The way people are talking, last night was some kind of verdict.  Allen will never be in Mahomes' league.

One QB had all kinds of time to throw, and open receivers to throw to. The other was under pressure all night, and his receivers were well covered.

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Exactly--never saw him really airing it out, since his guys' YAC was otherworldly. 

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm not re-watching the game so I can't cite the specifics, but Romo was constantly pointing out that Allen had checkdowns available that he just wasn't taking. The clips they showed of our WRs being blanketed were generally 1 on 1 coverage with no safety help; those are all favorable situations for our WRs, particularly with Diggs.

He also just wasn't as precise throwing the ball as usual, including a likely TD to Diggs before the INT to Brown if he had given him a better pass.

Again, Allen was incredible this season, our team had an amazing year and we're in good hands moving forwards. I'm not even really mad that we lost last night and I'm not blaming the game on Allen by any means. He just had a rough game in what had been an incredible season. Looking forward to seeing what our front office does this offseason to fill in some important holes.

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Exactly--never saw him really airing it out, since his guys' YAC was otherworldly. 

That doesn’t make him any less of a QB.  He assessed each play and took what was given. We did not

6 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Josh is what 24?. Already back to back playoff seasons, a division championship, and two playoff wins. These experiences both the wins and losses in big games will serve him well going forward. The team is learning how to win and winning a championship is one of the hardest things to do. This was a great year for Josh and the team overall.

I guess, as someone who thinks Josh could become a future MVP/Hall of Famer, the age thing grates. Yes, he is 24 but at his age Mahomes was winning a Super Bowl. 

Edited by UKBillFan

1 hour ago, TonyBeets said:

I think this is very obvious.  Reid is the greatest offensive mind in NFL history.  I've never seen so many wide open receivers.  Unbelievable.

Bear in mind, I think it was 3 years ago but it might have been 4 ....after KC lost in the playoffs, Tony Dungy opined "Kansas City may win a championship but it won't be with Andy Reid as head coach".  He was scathing.

Coaches can grow and improve as well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I think the Bills likely win if the QBs switched teams. Mahomes is just that good.

Don't see how you can support this. It's fair to say Mahomes played better than Allen last night since he made zero mistakes, but even in that context the Chiefs did everything else so much better than us it wouldn't have made up the difference. Mahomes didn't have to make any particularly difficult throws last night. His best throw was probably the early one to Hill that he dropped. Allen had to make a bunch of contested throws just to keep drives going. Best throw of the entire night was Allen rolling right with no open receivers and somehow delivering a perfect strike to Yeldon in tight coverage. That kind of offense just isn't sustainable. If you want to see what Allen looks like with wide open receivers all over the place go back and watch the Seattle game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That doesn’t make him any less of a QB.  He assessed each play and took what was given. We did not

I don't disagree. It also helped that our pass rush was a non-existent factor in the interior of the line. His pocket was a perfectly formed stable oval more often than not, drive after drive. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

As correctly pointed out by Romo, our receivers got zero separation, this leaded to Josh losing its confidence and throwing ints.

I think KC won on the defensive side of the field while we got no answers fot Tyrek and Travis.

When did Romo say our receivers getting zero separation (he said that) led to Josh losing his confidence and "throwing INTs"?

1) he threw one, not plural

2) he didn't throw the INT due to lack of confidence, he threw it because he made a bad decision and perhaps was over-confident in Diggs

3) there were sometimes open receivers he missed

But absolutely KC won because our defense couldn't stop their offense, or even slow them down

Our offensive line didn't protect well enough for whatever reason and yes, WR couldn't get open