What happened to the running game & establishing it????

Yes tongue is firmly in cheek as this is exactly what I have been talking about & expecting from the Bills.😜

They did what I have been posting & talking about for 2+ years.  

I am a Bills fan (as per my screen name) and have gone on & on about the need for passing & offense.  I have explained I knew nothing about Allen when drafted, outside #7 & that he needed to be a Franchise QB.  I wanted trial by fire & see them not baby him.  

Maybe the best thing that happened in retrospect was that McD just couldn't let go of his Peterman love and named him the starter in 2018, because if it was a capable veteran, maybe Allen would have been held back longer.

The Bills played the 32nd ranked pass defense, who had already allowed 2-400 yard passing games against them (and only one < 300).  This was exactly what the Bills needed to do & they did it.

I said in those threads 350 & 3 TD's minimum & had the bills scoring 38+ (and Seattle in the 30's).

This is exactly what they will need to do vs. Arizona too.  

Sure more running vs. Arizona, and some better protection for Allen too, won't hurt.

Today I do give game balls to Dabol & McD, as they coached exactly like I've been wanting them to.

And before you you get all prissy, I was the one in the thread asking what you predicted the Bills would go vs. NYJ, NE, Seattle & Arizona, I said 4-0.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Why?   The Seattle backfield was ripe for the picking. 

You go for the easy fruit.  

I'm having fun with those who talk about the running game.  The Bills are fine, but their strength right now is their passing game & the 18 passes vs. NE, was playing it too close to the vest.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm having fun with those who talk about the running game.  The Bills are fine, but their strength right now is their passing game & the 18 passes vs. NE, was playing it too close to the vest.

Agree that you can make that argument but it worked. Seems clear to me that Daboll is designing game plans specifically against the opponents weaknesses...the ‘take what they give you’ approach. I don’t have an issue with that. 

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, TroutDog said:

Agree that you can make that argument but it worked. Seems clear to me that Daboll is designing game plans specifically against the opponents weaknesses...the ‘take what they give you’ approach. I don’t have an issue with that. 

Yes, but vs. NE it very nearly backfired as NE was driving & inside the 20 when they fumbled on the last drive.  A much closer win then should have been.

Now it is about not being over confident vs. Arizona. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No it was the game plan.

The Cheaters wanted the Bills to unleash Josh and got a good dose of the run.

The Seahags thought the Bills would run it and tried to keep Josh in the pocket and beat them with his arm....they obviously hadn't seen the tape from this year ;)

I love the fact that the coaching staff can use such diverse game plans to achieve the desired result :)

• Like (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes tongue is firmly in cheek as this is exactly what I have been talking about & expecting from the Bills.😜

I am a Bills fan (as per my screen name) and have gone on & on about the need for passing & offense.  I have explained I knew nothing about Allen when drafted, outside #7 & that he needed to be a Franchise QB.  I wanted trial by fire & see them not baby him.  

Maybe the best thing that happened in retrospect was that McD just couldn't let go of his Peterman love and named him the starter in 2018, because if it was a capable veteran, maybe Allen would have been held back longer.

The Bills played the 32nd ranked pass defense, who had already allowed 2-400 yard passing games against them (and only one < 300).  This was exactly what the Bills needed to do & they did it.

I said in those threads 350 & 3 TD's minimum & had the bills scoring 38+ (and Seattle in the 30's).

Sure more running vs. Arizona, and some better protection for Allen too, won't hurt.

Today I do give game balls to Dabol & McD, as they coached exactly like I've been wanting them to.

And before you you get all prissy, I was the one in the thread asking what you predicted the Bills would go vs. NYJ, NE, Seattle & Arizona, I said 4-0.

Please tell us more about what you think, want, or believe. It's endlessly fascinating.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Please tell us more about what you think, want, or believe. It's endlessly fascinating.  

Damn right.  Because those who jump on me & my posts, miss that I am a huge Bills fan & am pointing out issues I see, mostly on coaching, and then a game like this where they do what I have said they should.  Oh and a decisive win to boot!!!!

Yep I deserve a good pat on the back.....😜

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

No it was the game plan.

The Cheaters wanted the Bills to unleash Josh and got a good dose of the run.

The Seahags thought the Bills would run it and tried to keep Josh in the pocket and beat them with his arm....they obviously hadn't seen the tape from this year ;)

I love the fact that the coaching staff can use such diverse game plans to achieve the desired result :)

one of Pete's flaws 

• Haha (+1) 1

Agree with the OP - good job by the coaching staff planning and playing to the opponents weakness. That's evident on offense - not so clear how they are doing it on defense. More blitzing against RW, OK,  but too many times Metcalf was with only one CB and it wasn't Tre' - just don't get it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

one of Pete's flaws 

Thats my gameplan and we are sticking to it ;) 

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s a good thing Seattle couldn’t stop it, hate to have a game like Tampa last night with 5 rushing attempts in a blowout loss. 

BA is as bullheaded as PC is ;) 

Brady isn't good in bad weather anymore just look at last years tape he looked finished.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

We know this is you coach!

Every time someone wants to chant about “team identity” and/or “establish the run,” I have flashbacks of all those games against the Pats where BB started the game with 15 passes and 2 runs. Then when they had a nice comfortable lead, it was suddenly run heavy just when we had compensated. It’s so awesome to have signal callers that can actually put the opponent on their heels for once. 

No one knew what the Pats identity was. They just knew they had weapons and they could unleash them at any time. Why have an identity at all? It only assists the other team’s game plan. “Be water.” - Bruce Lee

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Every time someone wants to chant about “team identity” and/or “establish the run,” I have flashbacks of all those games against the Pats where BB started the game with 15 passes and 2 runs. Then when they had a nice comfortable lead, it was suddenly run heavy just when we had compensated. It’s so awesome to have signal callers that can actually put the opponent on their heels for once. 

No one knew what the Pats identity was. They just knew they had weapons and they could unleash them at any time. Why have an identity at all? It only assists the other team’s game plan. “Be water.” - Bruce Lee

Great post.  

Now my concern is they try to get cute or overthink vs. Arizona.

• Like (+1) 1

I have to admit when i saw Seattle on the schedule i thought this is a loss especially the way the Bills & the Seahawks have been playing but they both definitely surprised me which i am very happy about .

If they (the Bills) continue to play close to what they did yesterday they will be a team very hard to stop i don't care who they play !! 

GO BILLS !! 

5 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

1. Seattle’s pass defense is worst in the league. Ripe for the picking

2. I kinda think they let Josh go out there and have a game to dedicate to his grandmother 

I was blown away to hear about Pete Carrol admitting they expected us to just run on them, when they have the worst pass D in the league?  Seems like disrespecting Allen and thinking the first 4 games were a grand fluke.  If that's the case they deserve the fat L.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

If the Bills follow your plan to keep throwing the ball and neglect the run, what happens the next time they play in bad weather or face an opponent with a top ranked passing defense or who loads up the secondary with 7 DBs? More blowout losses?

Edited by prissythecat

Daboll is showing a lot of Patriot tendencies...I remember New England had a similar gameplan several years ago against the Steelers who were the number one D at the time and they just decimated them by throwing every play. Didn't even try and run it. That was one of the first times anyone had done something like that and the announcers were almost beside themselves. This game reminded me a lot of that one.

Daboll was on that staff and probably learned a lot about attacking weaknesses and gameplans that changed week to week based on opponents. 

Edited by matter2003

4 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I was blown away to hear about Pete Carrol admitting they expected us to just run on them, when they have the worst pass D in the league?  Seems like disrespecting Allen and thinking the first 4 games were a grand fluke.  If that's the case they deserve the fat L.

No that was more him thinking what McD would do, which is exactly what I was worried would may happen (See Passive thread). 

8 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I agree. Unless the only game film they watched was from the New England game 🤷🏻‍♂️

5 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

If the Bills follow your plan to keep throwing the ball and neglect the run, what happens the next time they play in bad weather or face an opponent with a top ranked passing defense or who loads up the secondary with 7 DBs? More blowout losses?

No, the coahing staff (McD) needs to understand that their QB is their #1 weapon.  The 18 passes vs. NE & so so performances vs. KC & Tenn had me concerned McD was reverting.

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

I agree. Unless the only game film they watched was from the New England game 🤷🏻‍♂️

Even if we had a bad QB, you still don't look a gift horse in the mouth (what does that even mean exactly) by NOT taking your chances throwing on a team giving 300+ pass yards to EVERYONE.  How a good coach like Pete doesn't recognize that is wild.  Then again he IS the guy who decided to not give the ball to Lynch on the 1 yard line and reuse a passing play the Pats had already seen...

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No, the coahing staff (McD) needs to understand that their QB is their #1 weapon.  The 18 passes vs. NE & so so performances vs. KC & Tenn had me concerned McD was reverting.

Hmm.  Interesting.  In the KC loss,  who was the number one weapon of the Chiefs that rainy and windy day where it difficult to throw the ball?  Mahomes ?  Or Edwards-Helaire?

As I told @YoloinOhio in the pregame thread - this was the right gameplan.  Seattle is gonna score points, you can’t try to hide under the blanket by trying to run the ball and control the clock.  The only way to win this game was by doing exactly what Daboll did - go for the jugular and put up points in the passing game.  And by the way has anyone noticed that Allen plays much better whenever they go pass-heavy?  He’s Big Ben 2K.  When they try to control the clock and limit his chances to make plays, he tends to play too tight, maybe because he feels more pressure to flash on his limited pass attempts.

This is a great passing offense.  Coaches should embrace it going forward.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Hmm.  Interesting.  In the KC loss,  who was the number one weapon of the Chiefs that rainy and windy day where it difficult to throw the ball?  Mahomes ?  Or Edwards-Helaire?

Mahomes was 21-26.  They had no trouble throwing.  They were in control the majority of the game and yep gaping holes. 

If they needed (or wanted) to throw, may have been more lopsided.

They Bills did exactly what they needed to yesterday & many of us preach, need to do more......

28 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

As I told @YoloinOhio in the pregame thread - this was the right gameplan.  Seattle is gonna score points, you can’t try to hide under the blanket by trying to run the ball and control the clock.  The only way to win this game was by doing exactly what Daboll did - go for the jugular and put up points in the passing game.  And by the way has anyone noticed that Allen plays much better whenever they go pass-heavy?  He’s Big Ben 2K.  When they try to control the clock and limit his chances to make plays, he tends to play too tight, maybe because he feels more pressure to flash on his limited pass attempts.

This is a great passing offense.  Coaches should embrace it going forward.

Bang on!!!!!

Edited by Billsfan1972

Josh looked like he was playing in practice out there, it was unbelievably easy in the first quarter.  The one thing I’m happy about is they didn’t take a 14pt lead and pack it in and decide to run the clock out.  Seattle would have beaten them if they had. 

It was about time for this O to go into attack mode and not back out of it.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

This was totally surprising... and smells like BS to me. That was a coach making a lame excuse for his team's continued failure on defense.  I have no idea what the purpose of lying about this was, but it's suspicious for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Mahomes was 21-26.  They had no trouble throwing.  They were in control the majotiry of the game and yep gaping holes. 

If they needed (or wanted) to throw, may have been more lopsided.

They Bills did exactly what they needed to yesterday & many of us preach, need to do more......

Bang on!!!!!

Yes.  The Bills made it easy.  Mahomes got all of 220 yards.    Chiefs were run heavy the entire game and made 46 rushing attempts.  Time of possession was also lopsided because they kept running.  38 min to KC and just 22 min for Buff.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Damn right.  Because those who jump on me & my posts, miss that I am a huge Bills fan & am pointing out issues I see, mostly on coaching, and then a game like this where they do what I have said they should.  Oh and a decisive win to boot!!!!

Yep I deserve a good pat on the back.....😜

You are not a Bills fan.  You actively supported them losing last year because they weren’t exciting enough for you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Daboll is showing a lot of Patriot tendencies...I remember New England had a similar gameplan several years ago against the Steelers who were the number one D at the time and they just decimated them by throwing every play. Didn't even try and run it. That was one of the first times anyone had done something like that and the announcers were almost beside themselves. This game reminded me a lot of that one.

Daboll was on that staff and probably learned a lot about attacking weaknesses and gameplans that changed week to week based on opponents. 

Legit they had to throw out half of what they prepared for.  They went blitz heavy as it seemed to result in their only stops of the game after getting beat up in the first half.  A couple screens later, and buffalo was running out the clock on them. 

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Put it to rest & pull out that 6-3 browns game you yearn for.  

Why don't you just admit to the fact that you actively rooted for the Bills, the team you are supposedly such a fan of, to lose last year?  You are not a fan of the Bills, you are an entertainment fan. 

People that actively root for a team to lose cannot then be a fan of the team.  

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Agree with this 100%. I think they wanted to pass more than they did against KC but whether and performance dictated otherwise. Also, I don’t believe Moss was in that game, and as much as I like Singletary, Moss is going to be the #1 by the end of the season imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Why don't you just admit to the fact that you actively rooted for the Bills, the team you are supposedly such a fan of, to lose last year?  You are not a fan of the Bills, you are an entertainment fan. 

People that actively root for a team to lose cannot then be a fan of the team.  

You are the worst type of troll, following people and exaggerating comments and the inability to let go.

Let me explain it again.  The Bills as much a fan as I am, generally the prior three years played for the most part very dull boring football.  They had a 25-23 record, were outscored badly in 2017-2018 and were ranked 30,29 & 23 on Offense.  2019 was an improvement, but also an easy schedule.  The didn't throw for 300 yards the first 48 games under McD.  If not my team, I would not have wanted to watch them.

I want to be exhilerated watching a football game and excited by the action on the field.  Yep the defense was good in 2019 (aided by a weak schedule), however the feeling often was "Don't make a mistyake on offense, we're going to be ultra conservative, and want to keep the game in the teens".  Anyone thinking that was not the case, is kidding themselves.

It was an honest take. 

Edited by Billsfan1972