Tua Tagovailoa - Future of Miami?

BillsM@fia

2 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

My feeling/opinion...if Miami knew Tua was their guy, I think he'd sit and learn this entire season.  Miami doesn't know if he is.  That's why he's playing this early in his career.  They hope he is, but they're just not sure and they need to find out so they can draft accordingly.

If they know he's their guy then it could go either way (sit, learn or play now) depending on the opinion of the front office.

I just wanted to mention that what goes on in the meeting rooms and practices has a large impact.  All you have to do is look at Nate Peterman and Josh Rosen to figure that out.

But in the end, no matter how confident you are in your young QB, there's no substitute for performing under live fire.  Flores says this isn't an audition, I believe him in the sense that Tua will be the starter to the end of the season barring catastrophe.  But, given the potential for a high draft pick, they definitely need to see what he's got .  Give Tua credit, he's shown enough ability behind the scenes to earn the look where Rosen never did.

Not judging him on one game at all. I just would have kept Fitz as the starter and felt that Herbert will be a better pro. He may go off against the Cards and they may win 10 games. I just happen to think it was not a good decision for the Dolphins this year. CG is no fool so I’m sure his input was big. I’ll admit to being wrong at week 16 if it plays out as you say. 

50 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Agreed, but the point being where they were right now and the outside possibility, however remote, that the biggest prize in the QB derby, could potentially be available to Miami.

The hypothetical being what if they ended up with the number one as they have houston's...would they consider Trevor Lawrence or just pass him up?

Still way too early to say.  Depends on how Tua looks going forward. 

But the Jets will have the 1st overall.  And I think Houston will ultimately pick in the high single digits.

All that suggests that you have selected the right QB in Tua. That’s currently a big if. When Herbert was imho the better choice. Texans will likely have  pick 4-7 so could be some leverage. Jury is out on FA decisions as D Williams has been a find while Klein not so much. Your leaving out the best trade in the NFL getting Diggs so let’s not omit that. Happy to discuss your Dolphins vs Bills but let’s agree to provide fair balance in our conversations. 

21 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Before injury, Tua was on track to be the consensus #1 overall pick which is saying a lot considering how good Burrow has been. And yes Herbert is phenomenal as well.

Either way it's ridiculous to judge Tua after one game especially since his team still won in a very decisive manner despite his lackluster stats. Don't be surprised if he goes off this week against a suspect AZ defense and the Dolphins have an even more impressive victory against a Cardinals team that handed the Seahawks their only loss of the season.

Your so up on every team except the one that you post on there fan board, what’s up with that? Really, you don’t appear to say anything positive about the bills ever... asking for the bills fans here...

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

My feeling/opinion...if Miami knew Tua was their guy, I think he'd sit and learn this entire season.  Miami doesn't know if he is.  That's why he's playing this early in his career.  They hope he is, but they're just not sure and they need to find out so they can draft accordingly.

How could they know without him playing. Every franchise is hoping until they see their guy play. It’s all based on projection and hedge betting on the scouting from college, no one “knows” anything until they actually play. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Unfortunately your RB who has been great was put on IR. Too bad you traded away Drake as he may have provided a great tandem. He seems to be doing pretty well with Arizona. Again I’ll try to give fair balance on the Bills good or bad. Dolphins have made some good moves but that’s one they might want back. 

Edited by QLBillsFan

35 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Another scary thought is that depending on how close the Texans finish to the #1 overall pick, there will no doubt be QB needy teams that will be willing to offer a ridiculous amount of picks to the Dolphins to move up. So theoretically the Dolphins could turn the #3 overall pick into multiple 1st round picks into 2022/2023 + plenty more in the right package.

Just sucks that a division rival who is already far ahead of where most thought they'd probably be has such a bright future between all the draft capital and salary cap space heading into 2021 and the Bills are essentially going to be stuck with the same team because of the limited cap space and terrible FA signings last year.

And yet the Bills will still sweep them.

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Jimmy Clausen/Josh Rosen syndrome. 

Again, those cases are different. With clausen they had the #1 pick (which I don’t think they will have) and with Rosen they changed HCs AND had the #1 pick. I mean sure - if they have that pick and want to take Lawrence and have him evaluated Higher than Tua to the point they swallow the #5 pick (they won’t be getting that value back in a trade) then I can see it. But tua was the “tank for tua” from last year so how many times they gonna do this. Anyone else this year I doubt is rated higher than tua but who knows. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How could they know without him playing. Every franchise is hoping until they see their guy play. It’s all based on projection and hedge betting on the scouting from college, no one “knows” anything until they actually play. 

Of course, my opinion is more the timing.  Is there value in development in practice and on the sideline?  I think so.

I think it depends on the kid and there are examples on both sides of this argument.

11 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Sometimes you draft a QB then the following year a better prospect is available when you are on the clock.  If that is the case Miami should absolutely draft a QB.  Arizona doesn't regret giving up on Rosen. I have no idea how Tua compares to the current group of prospects though.

Lawrence is considered the best QB prospect to come out since Andrew Luck. 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Again, those cases are different. With clausen they had the #1 pick (which I don’t think they will have) and with Rosen they changed HCs AND had the #1 pick. 

The Dolphins have draft capital that could move up to #1 possibly as the Houston pick expected to be quite high.

Edited by The Jokeman

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Then he shouldn’t have been the #5 pick but they clearly liked him enough to take him there... what I’m saying is this Miami’s decision and they have the same regime as they did when they made him the #5 pick. Their own scouting told them he was their future. Has it ever occurred where a team took a QB top 5, didn’t change regimes, watched him play all of 8 games and then drafted his replacement without having the #1 pick? Just seems horrible mismanagement to me

Yolo, I agree he should not have been picked 5th.  But the nfl is LITTERED with horrific picks.....Dan Jones anyone?  Man the G-men made that pick I was dancing in the streets.....bottom line yes Tua deserves more than one game but just cuz the Fish mgmt picked him there it certainly doesn't guarantee him anything.  Who knows who is was that pulled that trigger?  Someone somewhere seems unhappy with that decision......I certainly don't agree with the way they are handling it but I ain't making those big bucks and making those calls.  Would be fun sometimes though but not so much most of the time....IMO.

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yes, and let's be clear as we all know...ONLY IF THEY HAVE THE FIRST PICK.

Man, brother, I think the jets are going to hang on to a winless season like grim death.  I can't imagine anything being more important to that organization right now.  

Grim....but kinda funny too!  I agree tho.....the jests want that shot at Lawrence.....

1 hour ago, High Football IQ said:

Before injury, Tua was on track to be the consensus #1 overall pick which is saying a lot considering how good Burrow has been. And yes Herbert is phenomenal as well.

Either way it's ridiculous to judge Tua after one game especially since his team still won in a very decisive manner despite his lackluster stats. Don't be surprised if he goes off this week against a suspect AZ defense and the Dolphins have an even more impressive victory against a Cardinals team that handed the Seahawks their only loss of the season.

I for one would be VERY surprised........VERY.

47 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Lawrence is considered the best QB prospect to come out since Andrew Luck. 

The Dolphins have draft capital that could move up to #1 possibly as the Houston pick expected to be quite high.

I don’t see anyone realistically trading them the pick who would be at #1. Do you? Anyone with that pick will take him because they don’t have a QB better. To me their only chance is to get it themselves if Houston somehow wins no more games and the jets win 2 games. Doesn’t seem possible. As I said the only two teams who might not take him and be willing to trade out at 1 would be cincy and LAC and doubt they are going to be bad enough to get it anyway. It’s the jets or giants (likely jets)

• Like (+1) 1

The Cardinals moved on quickly from Rosen. They made the right move in doing so.

If you are able to draft a QB you feel will be better than the one you currently have and you don't, that's idiotic. 

Edited by Beast

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Still way too early to say.  Depends on how Tua looks going forward. 

But the Jets will have the 1st overall.  And I think Houston will ultimately pick in the high single digits.

@YoloinOhio

Doc, please forgive me, I am not taking this out on you, because I dig you, it's just I feel like there is a communication breakdown with this, and I will put the blame on me.

So...I know it's way too early and I agree on the Jets finishing last.

Here's the thing for everybody, we are not talking about right now...one game into a kids career. The draft isn't this week, and we don't know for sure who is going to finish in last place.  Everything is pre-supposed on a) if Tua shows little or middling progress, and b) if the opportunity is there to get Lawrence.

I for one would not sit on a player of Lawrence's calibur in comparison to Tua.  I think he is way better.  The Cardinals in a similar situation decided it was worth it to pick another QB.  I think they made the right move.  If it arose for Miami and I were there I wouldn't blink at making the same move.   I wouldn't see what I could get in exchange for what could be strongly possible Andrew Luck or better player.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t see anyone realistically trading them the pick who would be at #1. Do you? Anyone with that pick will take him because they don’t have a QB better. To me their only chance is to get it themselves if Houston somehow wins no more games and the jets win 2 games. Doesn’t seem possible. As I said the only two teams who might not take him and be willing to trade out at 1 would be cincy and LAC and doubt they are going to be bad enough to get it anyway. It’s the jets or giants (likely jets)

I could see the Jets doing it because they think Bradford could be better with a better surrounding cast and they could get that if got extras 1s and 2s. 

11 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I could see the Jets doing it because they think Bradford could be better with a better surrounding cast and they could get that if got extras 1s and 2s. 

Assume you mean Darnold. I would cry tears of champagne if that happened. Not trying to be overly antagonistic about this, really I’m not. But could you really see them trading that pick within the division since we are talking about Miami here?

Edited by YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

I've posted plenty of positive comments about the Bills here....why wouldn't I since I'm a hardcore fan that has been around since the glory days of the late 80's/90's.

But I will never drink Pegula/Beane/McDermott flavored koolaid until this franchise does something of note which is win in the playoffs and consistently beating the league's elite teams.

Simply getting lucky to end a 17 year drought and then making the playoffs again 2 years later against a very easy schedule which included one win (with an asterisk) against a team with a winning record does nothing for me.

Who knows, but it's highly likely that if the Bills are still in it the season finale may very well come down to the division and/or playoffs for the winner of the game.

And chances Allen throws for 420 yards and 4 TD's again are slim so this team is going to have to figure out another way to beat the Dolphins.

Its not about koolaid, that in itself is an incredibly weak statement, it’s about being a fan and enjoying the entertainment that is football, anyone can complain about a team, that is enormously easy to do.  I suspect you were just as pessimistic and down beat with the previous ownership as well, some things never change... 

anyway enjoy being disappointed with your team, while the rest of us enjoy the fun, that is competitive sports, it appears that you may be among those here who take all of this far to seriously, it’s a game meant to entertain, you are a worse grumpy old man than me, and that’s sayin a lot. 

nuthin but luv, 

Go Bills!!!

20 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Your comments around lucky and last year worst opponents with asterisks rings interesting to me. Given the Dolphins currently have exactly one win this year against an opponent with a winning record. The facts are the Bills have made the playoffs the past 2 of 3 years. Since you say Bills are lucky and you admit the Dolphins schedule is easy the rest of the way, would then the Dolphins be lucky? Did you think the Bills loss last year to the Texans was a bit unlucky? Just trying to follow your logic. Again holding you accountable to fair balance. I had Pats with 8, Dolphins with 9, and Bills with 10 wins this year. I like what the Dolphins are doing but your own arguments are lessened when all you point to is negatives of the Bills and positives of the Dolphins. 

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It sounds good on the surface but I think it would be tough to manage practice reps and game reps to where anyone could determine they both turn out to be good. It does kind of remind me of when the WFT drafted both RG3 and cousins. Just think it invites division and controversy, while providing competition. It works in college because the QBs end up moving on regularly and you need to sign one every year. JMO if they have the pick and want to take Lawrence they should trade Tua before or during the draft 

the Skins ended up with a QB though..

2 hours ago, Beast said:

The Cardinals moved on quickly from Rosen. They made the right move in doing so.

If you are able to draft a QB you feel will be better than the one you currently have and you don't, that's idiotic. 

How many times in history has this actually happened.

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

If the Dolphins end up thinking that Tua isn't the QB and move on then I'll be very concerned about their future in the division. Recognizing you made a mistake and moving on is something good organizations can do. 

Arizona is a good example of that exact scenario happening. It’s a little early to call it a complete success, but it seemed obvious that the Rosen era was a misfire and Murray seems to have a higher ceiling. 

Now having said that, I would very much like our defense to expose Murray and make him look ridiculous Sunday after next.

51 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Unfortunately for the Bills looks like Flores is going to be the one former Belichik assistant that actually goes on to achieve great things in this league and it will be ironic if he's the one that takes the AFCE crown from the Patriots and not the Bills.

Either way for all the talk about the Bills having a clear path to AFC East dominance the in the near future that may not be the reality after all given where the Dolphins are at and the distinct possibility the jets will make a similar quick turnaround after they land a generational franchise QB in Trevor Lawrence.

It would be ironic perhaps for Pats fans ? Not germane to what the Bills are doing. So you have fast tracked the Dolphins (with a 4-3 record having beaten one opponent with a winning record)

past the Bills at this juncture? With a one start QB at the hem vs JA who arguably is a top 10 QB at the helm. And your an objective fan of the Bills ? Got it! I have several friends that are Dolphins fans who are not yet over the moon like you. But hey you might convince them!

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

How many times in history has this actually happened.

It may be the new thing in football. When you aren't paying huge money like first rounders used to make, it's a hell of a lot easier to do. Would you agree that the Cardinals made the right choice?

Lots of things are changing in football in the past decade. Analytics. Don't blink, it may pass you by.

Edited by Beast

15 minutes ago, Beast said:

It may be the new thing in football. When you aren't paying huge money like first rounders used to make, it's a hell of a lot easier to do. Would you agree that the Cardinals made the right choice?

Lots of things are changing in football in the past decade. Analytics. Don't blink, it may pass you by.

It worked for the Cardinals.  It was pretty clear Rosen was pretty bad.  I would also probably take Lawrence if I was either the Jets or Miami sitting there.  However, I don't think it's the right thing to do most of the time.  Qbs need time to learn and progress.  If you sit there and draft new QBs every year because they played mediocre their first year then you are probably wasting a ton of draft picks and your team will suffer from lack of talent.