Would You Want Ryan Fitzpatrick Back in Buffalo in 2021?

JohnNord

I think at this point he knows he’s a back up at the end of the year, so I’m fine with it.  Not getting into the Ju Ju must be a curse on Josh getting hurt stuff.  If Josh goes down which he’s been great, pretty much never hurt running, just somewhere in the pocket.  The elbow, the. The shoulder, but that wasn’t that bad.

Absolutely.  Best backup in the game

Those that say no, I’d have to question the reason why.  Is Barkley or Fromm better?  Are we going to sign a different QB that would be better?

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

No thanks because we all know the Fitzpatrick cycle.  This will guarantee Allen gets hurt. 

It’s the Fitzy Injury Jinx! I want no part of it! I wonder if he has actual little straw dolls he stabs with a needle? 

If we couldn't upgrade the backup elsewhere, then an emphatic yes. Not only is he as smart as they come, he and Allen have the same mentality when it comes to playing the position. I see that as a good 'fit'.

However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't find another guy who can come in and do a similar job. There are a few around who have been solid QBs over the years, who are now backups elsewhere, and I wouldn't be too shocked to see a few more 'changes of the guard' around.

I believe the general theory about what you want/need your backup QB to do, when holding the fort, is to be .500. Fitz could definitely do that with our offense. Barkley or Fromm, I have my doubts about.

It's an area of concern, and I expect them to address it in the off season tbh, unless Barkley or Fromm have to come in and do the necessary, to prove my concerns invalid.

Barring other alternatives, there's no doubt in my mind that Fitz would be an upgrade at the backup QB position.

I don’t think Fitz would take a role where he has no chance to be the starter outside of injury, so I doubt he’d come to Buffalo. But I’d take him over Barkley. Everyone knows the Fitz curse is just mindless superstition, right?

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

I think the Bills are fine with Barkely, honestly even if the Bills had a "good" backup QB any long term injury to Josh ***** the season no matter what. 

That’s pretty much any team not located in the NFCE.    

The goal is to have a guy who can win you a couple if your starter is out 1-6 games and keep you alive.   Are Barkley/Fromm those guys?   I honestly don’t know... Barkley looked great two years ago and horrific last year in his limited chances to play. 

I’d probably take Fitz, he’s clearly still capable.  

Absolutely.  Look what Foles did in Phi.  Without him they absolutely dont win a SB.  Helluva insurance policy, and a guy who can get hot for a few games. Barkeley would SEVERELY limit this offense. If not Fitz then we do need to bring in a top tier backup.  Im not willing to give up on a season in our window cause Josh got hurt!

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think the Bills are fine with Barkely, honestly even if the Bills had a "good" backup QB any long term injury to Josh ***** the season no matter what. 

no. please see Philly.  Or even the Giants team (or was it Wash, before my time) that beat us in a SB

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

no. please see Philly.  Or even the Giants team (or was it Wash, before my time) that beat us in a SB

That's a solid point. However keeping it to the "modern" NFL only (Just for sake of argument post 2000, as that's around the time the league really started to shift away from running) I think that the Eagles with Foles got lucky that there was another QB in the league that they knew functioned well in their system AND was available for dirt cheap after flaming out other places. The Eagles have a system (and O-line up until the past 2 years) that makes any QB look a lot better for 2 decades now. 

As much as I like what Daboll has grown into and what the Bills are building I am not so sure the offense's success is due to a system that can plug in any QB and make it better. The offense has a lot of talent but I am not so sure that the offense is a system that is so overtly friendly to QB's. So I think the Foles example is one where a lot of fluky circumstances came together as opposed to something that is repeatable. 

I am not opposed to the idea of upgrading the backup QB position. But is it worth a lot of cap space (Let's say 7-10 million?) I think Andy Dalton is one of the best backup QB's going into the season but if let's say he was the Bills backup and Josh got hurt is Dalton taking the Bills beyond the divisional round? If Josh went down for 4 games I think this team could go 2-2 with Barkley easily. That's kind of the best you can hope for from a backup QB at this point. I think they hope they can develop Fromm into that stellar backup.

• Like (+1) 1

Fitz's touchdown to interception ratio is the reason he loses many games. In 16 years in the league Fitz has thrown 166 interceptions and 214 TD's. Compare that to someone like Russell Wilson who has thrown for 246 TD's and only 71 interceptions, or Aaron Rogers who has 377 TD's and only 84 interceptions

3 hours ago, akcash said:

This is tough for me bc I am a huge Matt Barkley Fan. Brain says yes. Heart says yes. Matt Barkley fan on me says "Nooooooooo".

Wow...I never thought there would be a noticeable difference between members of the Matt Barkley Fan Club, and a Matt Barkley Family Reunion.

Edited by Special K

50 minutes ago, vincec said:

I don’t think Fitz would take a role where he has no chance to be the starter outside of injury, so I doubt he’d come to Buffalo. But I’d take him over Barkley. Everyone knows the Fitz curse is just mindless superstition, right?

No. Some "mindless ones" believe that and may be extras in next Doctor Strange movie.

He did not replace "Wrong Josh" due to injury but due to incompetence.