Training camp 8/30

YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, BillsFanForReal said:

I wish Thad would just send in his resume and work at PFF. I finally muted him on twitter. I'm ok with him saying Josh had a bad day, but he always just slights him no matter what he does. Kind of annoying. 

Maybe it was not a good day for Allen.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I mean I’ve found Thad’s tweets this year to be more even-handed than I felt they were in the past.  He did say Josh was “fantastic” during the scrimmage.  We don’t like for anybody to have a bad or “off” day but it happens.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills fans, on the whole, remain way, way too sensitive about Josh Allen.

It's okay to say he had a bad throw or a bad day overall or both. 

Josh Allen is a work in progress. 

Getting mad or offended anytime someone reminds us of that is silly.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Maybe it wasn't, and i'm fine with him stating that based on my previous response. What I do have a problem with is his consistent issue with complimenting Allen then slighting right after. It's not a huge deal its just annoying. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Logic said:

Bills fans, on the whole, remain way, way too sensitive about Josh Allen.

It's okay to say he had a bad throw or a bad day overall or both. 

Josh Allen is a work in progress. 

Getting mad or offended anytime someone reminds us of that is silly.

You've confused the problem. It's not that he said Josh had a bad day and he said that. It's that he's been hypercritical of Allen compared to his peers. This has eroded trust in his reports and as one of the principal Bills reporters...not being able to trust his reports on the starting QB is annoying. His reports tend to need confirmation because he has exaggerated in the past.

As someone who's not sold on Allen being the long term franchise QB...I'd like to be able to know they're accurate especially when I can't see things for myself. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I cannot ever remember a wide receiver being talked about as consistently and glowingly as Davis -- including all of the guys listed above. 

And it's not just that he's catching balls against no-name CBs who are soon to be bagging groceries. As far as I can tell, he's beating Tre White, Levi Wallace, etc, and doing it relatively routinely.

There was also the high praise that John Brown gave him, saying he knew the playbook better than ANYONE ELSE on offense. The reporter asked Brown "so have you guys been helping him, then?", and Brown laughed and replied "no. You didn't hear me. HE has been helping US". That's high praise and speaks to Davis's intelligence and ambition.

I firmly believe that Davis his played his way from "will rarely see snaps this season" to "we've got to figure out a way to get him some snaps every game, because he's too good not to".

At the very least, if Diggs or Brown miss any time, I feel extremely comfortable knowing that Davis can step into the lineup and produce.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Just now, Logic said:

I cannot ever remember a wide receiver being talked about as consistently and glowingly as Davis -- including all of the guys listed above. 

And it's not just that he's catching balls against no-name CBs who are soon to be bagging groceries. As far as I can tell, he's beating Tre White, Levi Wallace, etc, and doing it relatively routinely.

There was also the high praise that John Brown gave him, saying he knew the playbook better than ANYONE ELSE on offense. The reporter asked Brown "so have you guys been helping him, then?", and Brown laughed and replied "no. You didn't hear me. HE has been helping US". That's high praise and speaks to Davis's intelligence and ambition.

I firmly believe that Davis his played his way from "will rarely see snaps this season" to "we've got to figure out a way to get him some snaps every game, because he's too good not to".

At the very least, if Diggs or Brown miss any time, I feel extremely comfortable knowing that Davis can step into the lineup and produce.

The other guys were touted before they ever even practiced.  Once they did...

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Relying on rookie receivers, no matter how good is a risky proposition. The value of him tearing up camp is not that he's going to supplant those guys, but exactly what you said here...if one of them goes down, he can fill in for awhile. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Relying on rookie receivers, no matter how good is a risky proposition. The value of him tearing up camp is not that he's going to supplant those guys, but exactly what you said here...if one of them goes down, he can fill in for awhile. 

....and on the field in 4 WR sets.......and coming on for a play here and there to give Diggs and Brown a breather.

I'm excited to have a rookie WR with a potential high ceiling at #4WR.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If that's what happened then what's he supposed to say?

Exactly...and I don’t notice any of the other reporters contradicting Brown’s observations either...

Edit:  just saw that Buffalo Bills News confirmed Brown’s reporting, that Allen did, indeed struggle today...

50 minutes ago, Logic said:

Brian Daboll has an affinity for a 3 receiver set, but Davis' emergence might force him to employ more 4 receiver sets.

So excited to see how they get Davis involved. This offense has a variety of options and weapons we have not seen in a very long time. 

Not going to overreact to a down Josh Allen day. It sounds like he still made some plays, and based upon Frazier’s recent comments I’d bet the defense was turning it up a notch as well. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Thad loves to troll or just doesn't know what he's looking at.

Per the BN:  https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/observations-devin-singletary-shows-burst-as-bills-rb-battle-stays-hot/article_e4e8aa58-eafd-11ea-a0cf-83966aba8151.html

The Allen report: Josh Allen completed 7 of 14 passes as the offense did a lot of situational work, as opposed to running complete drives. Robert Foster dropped one of the incomplete passes, twice the intended receivers slipped and fell. One incompletion was a throwaway prompted by a heavy rush from Jerry Hughes. Allen had a sharp TD throw to Beasley.

• Thank you (+1) 8

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

doesn't know what he's looking at

This is really closer to the truth, I think, for a good many beat reporters.  Some put in the work to learn their craft — I put WGR’s Sal, Joe B., and a few others in that category — but many of them truly have no better credentials or experience to “report” on training camp than any of us.  That’s why it is typically a bad idea to take these camp reports as gospel unless everyone is saying the same thing.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Per the BN:  https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/observations-devin-singletary-shows-burst-as-bills-rb-battle-stays-hot/article_e4e8aa58-eafd-11ea-a0cf-83966aba8151.html

The Allen report: Josh Allen completed 7 of 14 passes as the offense did a lot of situational work, as opposed to running complete drives. Robert Foster dropped one of the incomplete passes, twice the intended receivers slipped and fell. One incompletion was a throwaway prompted by a heavy rush from Jerry Hughes. Allen had a sharp TD throw to Beasley.

Well that's a different take.

3 hours ago, BillsFanForReal said:

Maybe it wasn't, and i'm fine with him stating that based on my previous response. What I do have a problem with is his consistent issue with complimenting Allen then slighting right after. It's not a huge deal its just annoying. 

You’re not completely wrong.  Thad does throw around some snarky comments and Bills criticism on Twitter and yes, it does get annoying.  

25 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well that's a different take.

It's a take that actually provides some context.

How bazaar, how bazaar...

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Do the Bill's run more 4 wrs sets with Gabriel Davis? I think they have too. Hes doing well good.  They have to have him on the field lots. 

I feel like they should anyway, in order to make space for Singletary. 

• Like (+1) 3

Some takeaways for those who can't read the article:

1) Bass was perfect on his field goal attempts today including from 50+ yards.

2) The passing offense struggled. Allen missed a couple throws but also got pressured and the receivers had a couple drops/stumbles.

3) The secondary is looking great. White is still playing like an all-pro, Wallace looked good, apparently Jaquan Johnson is standing out on defense and even more so on special teams, Dean Marlowe has been really good too. All around should once again be one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Well, it's way too early and by no means is it time to make comparisons, but I do remember another WR drafted in the 4th round...

I'm not saying he's Andre Reed and going to have a hall of fame career but the reports about Davis remind me a little of Reed. Works hards, workout animal, catches everything.  Remember, Burkett was picked ahead of him.

And what a draft they had in '85, Bruce Smith, Derrick Burroughs, Reed, Frank Reich, Burkett, Dale Hellestrae was a long snapper forever, even Hal Garner was a flash in the pan, 3 guys played 15 years or more in the league and 9 played at least 5. It definitely helped having 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Do the Bill's run more 4 wrs sets with Gabriel Davis? I think they have too. Hes doing well good.  They have to have him on the field lots. 

I agree. And I think it’ll come at the expense of Knox. Davis is a big body so he may even have a more favorable run blocking matchup. I would think you have to 2 LB out there if Singletary or Moss is on the field but that becomes a challenge to cover 4 WR. I think the biggest stress for running out of 4 WR set is you need the line to really execute their blocks. This seems like a good set against the patriots and their front. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

So 3 miscues by Josh?

While I was elated to hear the Bills got Stefon Diggs, I was a little sad that they were gonna be missing out on such a great WR class.

If it turns out that they got Diggs, waited until round four to take a wideout, and STILL got one of the better ones in the class in Davis, I’m ready to build the Brandon Beane statue. And then if Hodgins somehow ALSO turns out to be a player?! Wow.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Josh Allen struggled? Not possible.... gotta be something wrong with this report or the reporter is biased against Josh..?

I get a kick out of this site.  They weren't there--they just read what's online or twittered--and then repeat the 'struggled' line like they were beat reporters.    smh...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

No, they didn't.

Saw WIVB Sports this evening, where Capaccio and Josh Reed mentioned Allen's struggles--as did Joe B  of the Athletic. Credible sources, I would say.

Is it really surprising to hear Allen has consistency issues?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

I agree. And I think it’ll come at the expense of Knox. Davis is a big body so he may even have a more favorable run blocking matchup. I would think you have to 2 LB out there if Singletary or Moss is on the field but that becomes a challenge to cover 4 WR. I think the biggest stress for running out of 4 WR set is you need the line to really execute their blocks. This seems like a good set against the patriots and their front. 

Interesting. Care to expand on why it's good against New England in particular? Just to spread them out?