Field position and points: Keep Bass, Hauschka, Edwards and Bojorquez on the 53

19 hours ago, TBBills said:

Sounds like you don't want to win keeping all those ST players for no good reason.

Let’s use your approach then. Imagine :03 left on the clock, fourth quarter, down by two points. You could win the game with a 62 yard field goal. You know Haushka doesn’t have the leg. I guess you’re gonna send out the 310 lb backup olineman to have a go at it? Or maybe CB #8 on your depth chart?

Again (and I don’t mean to lecture you youngsters), toss aside three cans of tomato soup (you have plenty) to make room for the truly special foods you need to win the battle against hunger. Field position and points can’t be won with numerous CB/Oline backups. 

28 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Any reports on whether this guy is a Glove Wearing Mary?

Australian Football does not allow gloves. Plus, if Edwards can perfect the drop kick, we’ll win enough games that he’ll forget his hands are cold. 

25 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Let’s use your approach then. Imagine :03 left on the clock, fourth quarter, down by two points. You could win the game with a 62 yard field goal. You know Haushka doesn’t have the leg. I guess you’re gonna send out the 310 lb backup olineman to have a go at it? Or maybe CB #8 on your depth chart?

Again (and I don’t mean to lecture you youngsters), toss aside three cans of tomato soup (you have plenty) to make room for the truly special foods you need to win the battle against hunger. Field position and points can’t be won with numerous CB/Oline backups. 

Australian Football does not allow gloves. Plus, if Edwards can perfect the drop kick, we’ll win enough games that he’ll forget his hands are cold. 

That is why we have Bass if he can make FGs' you wont have Haushka on the team. If they let go of Bass b.c he isnt good enough than your scenario doesnt matter b/c he was let go for not being able to make FGs (BEFORE THE SEASON EVER STARTS) and we should have made other plays to be closer than 62 yards.

Edited by TBBills

You will either keep Bass who will if kept was chosen b.c he can make FGs at any distance or Haushka b/c Bass cannot make FGs at any distance. 

This is Bass's job to lose b/c Haushka we already know cant kick long FGs and is regressing into not being able to consistently kick FG's in his range. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

You will either keep Bass who will if kept was chosen b.c he can make FGs at any distance or Haushka b/c Bass cannot make FGs at any distance. 

This is Bass's job to lose b/c Haushka we already know cant kick long FGs and is regressing into not being able to consistently kick FG's in his range. 

And, yet, you forget about accuracy inside 40 yds and onside kick talent (Hauschka) and accurate punting inside 10 TD line (Bojo) and drop kick/distance punting (Edwards). There’s more points on the table than just Bass. I was hoping some of you would have an open mind but, alas, I gather you have dug your heels in. 

Don’t come crying to me when they ask Nickel Corner #6 to come out and try a 60 TD field goal or a directional punt because we weren’t savvy enough to retain talent for those situations that might arise. 

40 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

And, yet, you forget about accuracy inside 40 yds and onside kick talent (Hauschka) and accurate punting inside 10 TD line (Bojo) and drop kick/distance punting (Edwards). There’s more points on the table than just Bass. I was hoping some of you would have an open mind but, alas, I gather you have dug your heels in. 

Don’t come crying to me when they ask Nickel Corner #6 to come out and try a 60 TD field goal or a directional punt because we weren’t savvy enough to retain talent for those situations that might arise. 

Nice job of doubling down on your 1st post of this thread.  Keep up the good work.  Your efforts will be rewarded.  ?

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Bass can kick the long ones and who said that Edwards can't directional punt?  He's averaged 27 punts inside the 20 the last 4 years.

Pretty sure bojo was top 3 in the league in touchbacks so he's definitely not that accurate inside the 10-yard line

Fergs, I probably have been one that has been kidding as well on the kicker thing so I apologize as I know you mean well and are a good egg.  I can understand an argument on Bass and Haushka if they can afford it (not so much Bass but House’s comp), but absolutely 100%no way on two punters.  Find the right one, place another on the PS and we move on.  Trying to compromise here.  The argument not just in skill but ensuring we have reliable kicking, but the COVID part makes for a conversation at least maybe they keep both.  A lot of ifs, but I can buy that.  It’s not like we didn’t justify it before with one for kick offs and one for FG’s.  It’s just which position to short as we’ll have to add one extra to the PS.

We have to have a back up plan for kicker, punter, long snapper, and QB on the PS.  It’s why guys like Webb might be safe at least for the PS, or McKenzie for PS as remember when he played CB in a pinch.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Nice job of doubling down on your 1st post of this thread.  Keep up the good work.  Your efforts will be rewarded.  ?

Sometimes the kids don’t hear the dinner bell the first ring. Have to clang that thing repeatedly to get the message across. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I have not watched Australian rules football for a while but I remember seeing players with gloves on.  There were rules against wearing gloves (i.e. sticky) which aided in catching ball but were not in latest set of rules I found online from 2018.  There is actually an AFL approved list.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:42 AM, BringBackFergy said:

The 310# O-lineman has as much chance to nail a 63 yard FG as anyone on the roster now...

50 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

It was probably a mistake to invest a mid round pick in a kicker and backup QB in the same year.  Two extra roster spots just to preserve your draft investments. 

Time to move in from Hausch. He’s not going to get better. As for Fromm, they need a developmental QB. 

12 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

This thread is still going?

Where is McAddict when you need him.

We're having a very well reasoned and calm discussion. If you want to swat the beehive and start a frenzy, go to one of the other threads. 

4 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

It was probably a mistake to invest a mid round pick in a kicker and backup QB in the same year.  Two extra roster spots just to preserve your draft investments. 

Well stocked teams with good roster depth can afford to do things like the Bills did this year.  Who knows how Fromm will turn out.  I wont be shocked if in a few years we end up with a good trade/draft pick for him.

On 8/21/2020 at 9:37 AM, BringBackFergy said:

Guess you don't want to win.

Doc has been a Bills fan so long he doesn't even know what WIN means or what it looks like.  He has seen so many Bill's losses over the years it's imprinted in his brain and now it's even in-bedded in his DNA. 

On 8/21/2020 at 10:11 AM, chknwing334 said:

I think the Bills also need a 3rd punter that can throw the ball for fake punts, and a 3rd kicker for extra points to keep the other two kickers fresh.

No, I don't think so it would take up too many roster spots.  You need to save some for other positions.

6 hours ago, heavydutyrudy said:

Doc has been a Bills fan so long he doesn't even know what WIN means or what it looks like.  He has seen so many Bill's losses over the years it's imprinted in his brain and now it's even in-bedded in his DNA. 

And you are...?

No, I've seen many wins the past 3 seasons.  Keeping 4 kicker/punters is silly and I'm assuming (hoping) was the OP being funny.  No one is keeping even 2 kickers anymore.

Speaking of kicking, the Cheaters just signed Nick Folk.  Apparently the Nazi kicker they drafted (almost a full round earlier than Bass) has sucked.

On 8/21/2020 at 3:40 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Well the extra kickers already play special teams so so they don't need to learn to be taught the intricacies of coverage, hence better 

So you're counting on kickers to run down and make tackles?

lol 

On 8/21/2020 at 9:31 AM, BringBackFergy said:

We all can agree, NFL games are won and lost by field position and points. A bad punt can leave your defense with a short field.  A missed 55 yd field goal - no points.

This team is ready to win, and winning requires good field position and points.

Keep Bass as our long field goal kicker...anything over 50 yards, he comes on the field.

Keep Hauschka for the 20-40 yd field goals...he's money.

Keep Bojorquez for shorter punts when you need the ball placed inside the 15 yd line or when there's a southeasterly wind at the stadium (to crate a cross wind with his left foot).

Keep Edwards for longer punts and drop kicks. He's Australian and they utilize the drop kick a lot in that league. Would be a nice wrinkle for the Bills and can score points.

Thoughts?

Dick Jauron called, and wants you to stop ripping off his strategy for heroic marches to 7-9. 

"In his 16 years in the NFL, Buffalo Bills special teams coach Bobby April has never experienced fans taking so much interest in a punt drill"

https://www.bcdemocratonline.com/article/20070907/NEWS/309079968

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Dick Jauron called, and wants you to stop ripping off his strategy for heroic marches to 7-9. 

"In his 16 years in the NFL, Buffalo Bills special teams coach Bobby April has never experienced fans taking so much interest in a punt drill"

https://www.bcdemocratonline.com/article/20070907/NEWS/309079968

Hey, Special Teams may not be the sexiest gal in the bar...but she's nice, unique, can put you in good position and knows how to score.

I suggest y'all take another look at the special teams kickers before settling for countless backups who never see the field.

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Hey, Special Teams may not be the sexiest gal in the bar...but she's nice, unique, can put you in good position and knows how to score.

I suggest y'all take another look at the special teams kickers before settling for countless backups who never see the field.

You are a true renaissance man Fergie! :beer:

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, TBBills said:

If Bass wins no need for Hauschka... Simple as that.

I guess that onside kick vs the Dolphins last year was something any other player can do? I don't mean to belabor the point, but Micah Hyde's ability to jump up and grab that ball and run in for a score was a perfectly choreographed play that started from the magical foot of Hauschka. There's 6 points off the board if you cut Hauschka.

Not to mention, Edwards adding more points on fake punts with a drop kick or two.

And Bojo securing perfect field position on many punts. It's called directional punting, and when you can back an offense into their own 5 yard line, you allow your defense to thrive.

Yeah, let's cut our best directional, left footed punter and our solid FG/onside kicker because you want an extra CB or safety. When's the last time a CB contributed to points? 

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Don’t tell 95% of the posters here that. They’ll banish your ass. 

I don't think even 5% of people said not to bring him in.  But there must be a reason no one wants this guy.

11 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I guess that onside kick vs the Dolphins last year was something any other player can do? I don't mean to belabor the point, but Micah Hyde's ability to jump up and grab that ball and run in for a score was a perfectly choreographed play that started from the magical foot of Hauschka. There's 6 points off the board if you cut Hauschka.

Not to mention, Edwards adding more points on fake punts with a drop kick or two.

And Bojo securing perfect field position on many punts. It's called directional punting, and when you can back an offense into their own 5 yard line, you allow your defense to thrive.

Yeah, let's cut our best directional, left footed punter and our solid FG/onside kicker because you want an extra CB or safety. When's the last time a CB contributed to points? 

If you need a solid onside kicker, there's a problem with the Offense.  Or the Defense.

I know Ferg posted this as a goof, but is Bass no good at short and medium FGs?

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you need a solid onside kicker, there's a problem with the Offense.  Or the Defense.

I know Ferg posted this as a goof, but is Bass no good at short and medium FGs?

Bass/Edwards: Heavy Metal Rock

Hauschka/Bojo: Classical 

Some days you need precision

Some days you need to just let it all out. 

Best to leave all options open on game day.