Favorite pickled vegetable?

58 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's a tossup between sausage and egg.  Love 'em both.

21 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

What about pickled eggs and pickled sausage?

Pickled roasted sweet red peppers improve almost any sandwich (not pb&j)

The two of you were off together smoking day they explained what a vegetable is?  And no I do not mean a NJ JEST fan.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Anybody else like pickled garlic?

I like them pickled in rice vinegar.

I have a friend who makes homemade pickles and there's always a bunch of leftover stuff in the jar after the pickles are gone. Garlic cloves being one of them. Delicious ?

2 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

Pickled Frog Balls. (It’s actually brussel sprouts)

398A9BB7-D71D-45CB-9AC6-F0C163DD42CB.jpeg

Id give this a go. I eat sprouts on occasion. Certainly not at the top of my list, but the pickled variety looks pretty tempting. 

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

herring

j/k I like pickles and beets

I'd forgotten about that vegetable... used to be a tradition back in WNY... some holiday, maybe Christmas. I'd eat ONE once a year... might be in some sort of cream too.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Recipe me

1 ½ cups red wine vinegar

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced

bring first three ingredients to a boil to dissolve salt and sugar. 

Put onions in some sort of jar or tub. I use an old pickle jar. 

Let liquid cool for 10 minutes , pour over onions. 

I like some dried oregano in jar as well , but some do not. 

just a note, not all kosher salt is equal. I use Mortens , if you using a different brand or table salt, look up conversion chart. 

• Like (+1) 1

In college I worked at the food cooperative not far from University.  One of the other worker, a Sikh from Singapore, brought in a jar of pickled peppers, and was sharing with another worker. The two of them were breaking pieces off (it was still crisp) and eating it.  I told him I love pickled peppers and may I have one?  He said sure and gave me a small one.  I ate it tip to end without stop.  He asked me if I was okay.  I said it was a little hot but delicious and may I have another? He gave me another small one and the two gave me a look like I was an alien. An hour or two later I could still feel it in my mouth but it was so delicious I did not mind.

14 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

Pickled Frog Balls. (It’s actually brussel sprouts)

398A9BB7-D71D-45CB-9AC6-F0C163DD42CB.jpeg

Just tried pickled brussel sprouts recently. Pretty good

Pickled beets, my parents used to make large batches of them. 

They used to do a lot of canning in fact.  They would make a hot dog relish that would easily rival store bought. 

Edited by Just Jack

The pickled beets "fashionably dill" from Pernicious (CA) are my favorites. After finishing the beets, the brine makes a lovely drink (I prefer to add a bit of vinegar). The cauliflower from the same company is delicious, too.

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Pickled beets, my parents used to make large batches of them. 

They used to do a lot of canning in fact.  They would make a hot dog relish that would easily rival store bought. 

We used to can a Lot in the 60's, 70's... my Dad used to say " Mom isn't the greatest cook in the world but boy you should see her can".  

Canning isn't a lost art... but I think people shy away just because they aren't 100% sure that the result is reliable. 

6 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Off topic a bit, but I went to a bar after my cousin’s wedding in October.  Did a few shots of Jameson with a pickle juice chaser.  Not really sure why...everyone was doing them.  Anyone else ever hear of this?

Yes.  It is common thing some places because the brine helps neutralize the burn of alcohol.

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/why-you-should-mix-pickle-juice-with-your-whiskey-or-tequila-20160216/

When I worked bar in early 80's we had a jar of pickles on bar and some patrons would buy pickles with their shots. 

Edited by Limeaid
  • Like (+1) 1