Andy Dalton Released

I’m not sure I see dalton in New England. I won’t rule it out. He definitely fits their team/culture, so It could happen, maybe as a 1 year stop gap if they don’t think Stidham is ready. 

But personally (and I’ve said this for a while now) I think Belichick wants to prove that he can develop another franchise QB he drafted. I think he wants to show that it was his system + coaching that played the biggest part in the patriots dynasty.

Maybe he brings dalton in as a stop gap, but I still think that they ideally want Stidham to win the job. I think that’s why they brought in Hoyer - they know they can get by with him as starter if they need to, but he’s not someone who will keep Stidham off the field. Where as I don’t see Dalton signing there unless he knows he’s the starter.

The Patriots would have to feel like Stidham isn’t ready, and by all their offseason actions so far, I don’t get the impression they feel that way. But I guess we’ll see soon enough. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Winston, Cam, and/ or Dalton.  It’s not even a knock on Dalton because those guys have all had big moments in the nfl.  But in an open competition at training camp, do I think they could look better than Allen? Absolutely. 

that’s why I think Flacco would be the best option.  He’s better than Barkley (nice guy!) and has real playoff experience so I don’t think the season is over if he has to play.  But he’s not good enough to really threaten Allen at this point.

Allen is way more handsome than Dalton (gets a lot closer if Dalton dyes his hair).  Normal Cam is pretty close but Allen wins over weirdo Cam.  

You and I are usually on the same page, but big disagree there. Winston and Dalton are no way better than Allen. Cam (who I am a huge fan of), if he is healthy, which I dont believe him to be.

Flacco isnt a "happy to be on the bench and hold the clipboard" type guy. He's notoriously surly and unsupportive if he isnt THE guy. I dont see him helping Josh the way Barkley or Fromm will.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Dalton can get them there. He just got the Bengals to the #1 pick. Findley played some games too but he wouldn’t have if dalton wasn’t tragic 

I would argue the 29th ranked defense was more of the problem.  In a season without AJ Green, they lost games by 1, 3, 4, 3, 6, 7, & 6.  They were about as “good” as a 2-14 team could be.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You and I are usually on the same page, but big disagree there. Winston and Dalton are no way better than Allen. Cam (who I am a huge fan of), if he is healthy, which I dont believe him to be.

Flacco isnt a "happy to be on the bench and hold the clipboard" type guy. He's notoriously surly and unsupportive if he isnt THE guy. I dont see him helping Josh the way Barkley or Fromm will.

You don’t think Winston, who threw for 5,000 yards and just got eye surgery, couldn’t look better in the preseason than Allen?  Good Winston is as good as anyone.  Problem is bad Winston is as bad as anyone.  

I definitely think Dalton could look more consistently steady than Allen in a camp.  But in a perfect, I would love to see it.  If Allen is the guy, he should beat them out.  You prove nothing but playing better than Barkley or Fromm. 

as for Flacco, I’m guessing he likes money.  Plus, I’m sure his ego says he could be better than Allen or do well if Allen gets hurt.  I think our backup qb situation is a very desirable job.  I just hate the idea of one of the worst NFL QBs as a backup because he supports Allen.  You’re probably right that the Bills think this way but man, if Allen gets hurt, we will regret that decision big time.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s not that simple.  Team doctors need to evaluate him themselves.  You can’t right now. 

but yeah, healthy Cam and Dalton are better than a bunch of guys starting this year.  I never got the hate Dalton got.  Not a top guy but was constantly a playoff guy and was playing like a MVP when the Bengals might have been the best team in the NFL and got hurt.  I think they should have kept him because I think Finley sucks.  

Dalton always was discriminated because he was a ginger. ? 

But of the day walker sort..

23 minutes ago, Billl said:

Minshew was pretty damn good for a rookie who got no first team reps in the offseason.  If Josh throws for 21 TDs, 6 INTs, and 3,300 yards while completing 61% of his passes next year, his biggest supporters will be taking victory laps all over TBD.  Minshew did that in 12 starts and managed to run for 350 yards to boot.

Yes, that is very good, I just don't know if we are going to get an encore performance like that from Minshew. Maybe we will.

Of course the Jaguars have other issues on their team.

10 minutes ago, Marv Levy said:

So this move means Joe Burrow gets thrown into the NFL fire? Cincy has Jake Dolegala and Ryan Finley listed as QB. Never heard of either one.

"Ok, Joe, get in there and make some magic happen - have fun kid!"

Dolegala is from Buffalo (St Francis) 

yes they may as well just play burrow. I think they would have liked to keep dalton in case burrow isn’t ready but they always said that if dalton wanted out they would release him. I assume it was his decision and they granted it out of respect. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

IMO in a good system he can be a good starter. Remember that one year?

This year, the Pats aren't going to have a good offence. But if they sign him and put some skill players around him he could be very good, I think.

I could definitely see him going to the Pats but it would surprise me. I think Belichick wants to win with a no name to prove his genius 

9 minutes ago, Marv Levy said:

So this move means Joe Burrow gets thrown into the NFL fire? Cincy has Jake Dolegala and Ryan Finley listed as QB. Never heard of either one.

If AJ Is healthy, they have a really good receiving group.  It’s probably top to bottom one of the best Groups in the nfl.  Their oline sucks though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

They have 2M in cap space.  now can get 14M quickly by doing something with Thurney.  

They need a major Reset and Dalton doesnt do that for them

I just see him as a better backup plan than hoyer. Considering Winston just got paid like nothing - its conceivable that he'll also get paid nothing.

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

I just see him as a better backup plan than hoyer. Considering Winston just got paid like nothing - its conceivable that he'll also get paid nothing.

We might think of him as a Better BU than Hoyer, I dont think the Patriots do.  Hoyer knows that system like the back of his hand

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If AJ Is healthy, they have a really good receiving group.  It’s probably top to bottom one of the best Groups in the nfl.  Their oline sucks though.

Not for lack of trying.  They traded for glenn (always injured), drafted Williams (immediately got hurt), drafted price (also hurt, now just not good), drafted Ogbuehi and Fisher.  Just a lot of misses and injuries.  I think Jones in the 3rd would've been a good target, but lets not forget that they also have a terrible defense 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Marv Levy said:

Its actually not an awful fire to be tossed into. Green, Boyd and Higgins on the outside with mixon behind him. He’ll have weapons. 

Protection? Not so much. Although they will be getting back Their first rounder from last year at LT(williams).

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, dneveu said:

Hopefully you're right.  Hoyer sucks.

At some point people have to stop worrying about the other teams because we are good enough to beat them.  There isnt but maybe two teams in the AFC that I worry about matching up against, and the Patriots are not one of them (Even with Dalton or Cam).  Now Rogers gets traded there, maybe I have a different outlook (but that isnt happening this year either)

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

At some point people have to stop worrying about the other teams because we are good enough to beat them.  There isnt but maybe two teams in the AFC that I worry about matching up against, and the Patriots are not one of them (Even with Dalton or Cam).  Now Rogers gets traded there, maybe I have a different outlook (but that isnt happening this year either)

The point to stop worrying about other teams is when the Bills can consistently beat the best teams in the league. Even though the bills seem to be on the right track and are showing a lot of promise, they haven't shown to be a top 5 AFC team yet.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean you don’t want either to play but Hoyer is the better player and has played in a lot more games.  

Doesn't matter much.  He's nothing special just like Barkley.

17 minutes ago, DanInUticaTampa said:

The point to stop worrying about other teams is when the Bills can consistently beat the best teams in the league. Even though the bills seem to be on the right track and are showing a lot of promise, they haven't shown to be a top 5 AFC team yet.

They were literally the #5 seed in the AFC last year. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Winston, Cam, and/ or Dalton.  It’s not even a knock on Dalton because those guys have all had big moments in the nfl.  But in an open competition at training camp, do I think they could look better than Allen? Absolutely. 

Well I think you'd be in the minority.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is true... Id love for the Bills to sign Dalton. 

For an organization that preaches competition he is the perfect signing to push Allen.... and they wouldn't be completely ***** if Allen gets hurt too.... but Dalton is going to look for a starting job I presume...

Here's the thing tho...

If Allen gets hurt, do we really want someone who is OK enough to get us to 8-8?

Or do we follow the 49ers model? Jimmy G went down and they sucked, and that ultimately landed them Bosa. Which just stacked their team for when Jimmy G did come back and took them to the Super Bowl.

I vote latter.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Here's the thing tho...

If Allen gets hurt, do we really want someone who is OK enough to get us to 8-8?

Or do we follow the 49ers model? Jimmy G went down and they sucked, and that ultimately landed them Bosa. Which just stacked their team for when Jimmy G did come back and took them to the Super Bowl.

I vote latter.

No, follow the Eagles model instead. Do they win that Superbowl without a competent BU in Foles? 100% no

The Bills D, WR core, and RB core are good enough to take this team far Trent Dilfer style. There is zero reason for the Bills to not have a highly competent BU in case Allen goes down. 

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Here's the thing tho...

I vote latter.

Agreed. My mind changes if you are the Saints and you are at the end of a Superbowl window and have loaded up for a run. But for teams like the 9ers and the Bills with reasonably young cores.... if Josh goes down for the year and they go 5-11 with Barkley.... oh well. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

No, follow the Eagles model instead. Do they win that Superbowl without a competent BU in Foles? 100% no

The Bills D, WR core, and RB core are good enough to take this team far Trent Dilfer style. There is zero reason for the Bills to not have a highly competent BU in case Allen goes down. 

You think Dalton takes this team to the Super Bowl?

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Um pretty sure Dalton and the Bengals won 12 games in 2015.... he's capable ala what Teddy Bridgewater did for the Saints last season. 

5 years ago? That's an entire lifetime in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Um pretty sure Dalton and the Bengals won 12 games in 2015.... he's capable ala what Teddy Bridgewater did for the Saints last season.

You're using his best season from 5 years ago?

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

If the worst we have to deal with is Andy Dalton replacing Tom Brady, I am upping my season prediction.

Dalton does not have the arm to fit in Belichicks offense. Period

Um, if Tom Brady’s arm worked in NE’s offense the last few seasons then Andy Dalton’s arm can work in that offense.  I know there was a ton of other stuff that played into it like presnap reads, audibles for motion to expose defenses and a quick release - and I’m not comparing Dalton to Brady - but if we’re just talking arm strength then Dalton passes the minimum if Brady did. 

As for Dalton getting cut, that was an obvious move by a notoriously cheap owner.  They had been trying to trade him, but no one wanted him with that contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Here's the thing tho...

I vote latter.

Depends.  Are you talking about a season ending injury in week 1 or a ding that keeps Allen out for 4 games?   If I think my starter is capable of winning a SB, then give me the guy that can go .500 with a good team around him.  Four games with a good versus garbage QB2 behind center could be the difference between 11-5 and 9-7. 

• Like (+1) 5