Andy Dalton Released

After opening this thread, I googled Andy Dalton.  The first reference to his leaving Cincinnati was at NESN (New England Sports Network), so the vultures are circling.  The article, however, did say that the betting favorites to sign Dalton are not New England, but Jacksonville and San Diego.  I would not rule out New England, but their cap situation would make it difficult to get into even a modest bidding war if there is competition to sign him.

Edited by TigerJ

I'm sure the Pats are interested, but I dont see how they actually pull of signing him with their current cap situation. Cutting Thurney just for a shot at having Andy Dalton for 1 year doesnt sound like a Belichick move.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Would you consider Dalton an upgrade over Brady?  I would.

Hell no. Dalton may be younger and able to scramble a little better, but no one.. NO ONE runs that quick release passing game better than Brady.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Bills aren’t bringing in anyone that could look better than Allen. I both hate it and also understand it.  

I have to ask. What QB was out there, that the Bills could have drafted or signed, that would look better than Josh Allen?

10 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

didnt we only beat them by 4 points at home and they ended up being the worst team in football?  dalton is good. we need to be better

You are correct. We did beat them. 

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. Even with Dalton, the Pats are not the favourites for the AFCE - the Bills are. But with Dalton as their QB (and I believe he will be) New England will be a playoff contender. With Sitdham / Hoyer they are a 6 win team.

I honestly don't see much of a difference between Dalton or any other bum.

Dalton constantly implodes during games. He may take more stupid risks than a Stidham would.

Don't care who they have at QB TBH

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Patriots QB will be Stidham

That’s what I’m thinking as well , BB had enough time to evaluate him and make a decision , Stidham also had a year to learn the system ... 

I dont "hate" Dalton, but I fully believe his entire career was made by AJ Green and the option of "when in doubt, chuck it up to AJ". And it hasnt even been that great of a career with that option.

I dont see how the Pats can sign him, but I aint scurred even if they do.

Just now, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Dalton doesn’t concern me, given the dearth of offensive weaponry on the Patriots roster, assuming he lands there of course.  He would make our matchups with them more difficult and more interesting ...

And in order to sign Dalton, theyd have to cut Sanu and Thurney, making that unit even worse.

1 minute ago, Putin said:

That’s what I’m thinking as well , BB had enough time to evaluate him and make a decision , Stidham also had a year to learn the system ... 

Dalton Does NOTHING for the Patriots.  They dont win a SB with him, and if anything hurt their chance for QB evaluation and QB in 2021.

They will roll with Stidham and let the cards fall as they will

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont "hate" Dalton, but I fully believe his entire career was made by AJ Green and the option of "when in doubt, chuck it up to AJ". And it hasnt even been that great of a career with that option.

I dont see how the Pats can sign him, but I aint scurred even if they do.

And in order to sign Dalton, theyd have to cut Sanu and Thurney, making that unit even worse.

True, unless they make that salary cut where they’re deepest - the secondary, perhaps by trading Gilmore?  I have no idea about the cap ramifications however 

1 minute ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

True, unless they make that salary cut where they’re deepest - the secondary, perhaps by trading Gilmore?  I have no idea about the cap ramifications however 

Before 6/1 

2020 Dead Cap: $15,341,6682020

2020 Cap Savings: $3,329,165

After 6/1

2020 Dead Cap: $7,670,834
2021 Dead Cap: $7,670,834
2020 Cap Savings: $10,999,999

16 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

didnt we only beat them by 4 points at home and they ended up being the worst team in football?  dalton is good. we need to be better

My point is... we were. We are.

Dalton is serviceable, which is more than NE has right now.

We are a much better built football team than NE right now.

Our cap situation is eons better, but that doesn't win games each week.

So we will just have to go out there and show it.

I think he lands in Pittsburgh, 1 year deal behibd Roethlisberger. 

Roethlisberger simply can't make it through a 16 game season.   He's only made it through 4 times in his whole career. 

Dalton is familiar with the division and would love the chance to make the Bengals pay. 

Ps, i don't think anyone wants to play for New England without Brady.   Brady was NE, not Belichick. Players arent going to just throw themselves at NE like they used to. 

8 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Edited by TwistofFate
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Putin said:

stidham can throw ill timed INTs just as well as dalton. My head would explode if belichick signed him 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Before 6/1 

2020 Dead Cap: $15,341,6682020

2020 Cap Savings: $3,329,165

After 6/1

2020 Dead Cap: $7,670,834
2021 Dead Cap: $7,670,834
2020 Cap Savings: $10,999,999

Thanks for the info Bobby.

And even with that, just like cutting Thurney, moving Gilmore to sign Dalton does more harm to the Pats than good.

They are better with Thurney or with Gilmore, than they are without them and with Dalton.