OJ Howard likely available after Gronk Trade - Do we want him?

1. His contract - two years on the cheap (since TB paid his signing bonus already). 1.5 mill this year and 2 mill next year.

2. His production - 

GP

REC

TGTS

YDS

AVG

TD

LNG

FD

FUM

LST

He was pretty good in 2018 and OK in 2019. Certainly worth the contract.

3. Possible Compensation to TB - I am guessing it would take a 4th rounder at least - and I think that is worth it.

4. Cut Lee Smith and make him an asst. coach. this is the year we have an out on his contract - will save on cap - 2 mill that will more than pay OJ Howard's salary

Bottomline - Beane Get him in!!

Edit: Dammit The Pats got him in exchange for Gronk. Belichik doesnt miss out on these opportunities. I was just getting excited. Sry guys I created an unnecessary thread.

Edit 2: Maybe not was misled by a wrong sportsline heading. OJ Howard still appears available. Yay!

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t understand why they would have to get rid of Howard. 
Gronk, Howard and Brate is a pretty fantastic group of tight ends for a quarterback that knows how to use them. On top of the fact you can’t count on a healthy gronk 16 games. Be silly to trade him it’s not like his contract is big or his value is high right now. 

• Like (+1) 7

You don’t give up on an ultra athletic, generational tight end talent like Lee Smith, who’s just about ready to peak!!!!

32 is the age where tight ends begin to shine!  It’s science....

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Why would they get rid of a young TE ?  Gronk and Howard would be a great combo. They would be nuts to trade him.  

They've reportedly been trying to trade him for the past 2 off-season.  And if he's so good, why wouldn't Belichick demand he be included in the trade?

Much rather have Brate.  He’s better and is on a decent contract for the next few years. He and Knox would be a nice pairing imo.  He’s what everyone hopes Sweeney might become if everything works out perfectly for him.  I’ll take the sure thing for 6-7 mill

i’d really only want to trade a 5th or lower.

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why would they get rid of a young TE ?  Gronk and Howard would be a great combo. They would be nuts to trade him.  

Because Arians system doesn’t really utilize tight ends as it is. Now he has 3.  Why not trade the guy that sat the bench all last season and is due to leave after the upcoming season

Edited by NewEra

10 minutes ago, DFT said:

You don’t give up on an ultra athletic, generational tight end talent like Lee Smith, who’s just about ready to peak!!!!

32 is the age where tight ends begin to shine!  It’s science....

Maybe Lee Smith can open up a lunch pail factory with Kelsay.....

• Haha (+1) 2

Sems to me that Howard represents an upgrade to the TE room at little expense.

I like both Knox and Sweeney, but you could cut Kroft, who has done nothing so far, or Smith, and aside from what is a probable low round pick, you get good value.

Beane should definitely be asking the question, imho. For a 5th or below, it's a no brainer, imho. Maybe it needs to be 2 low picks, e.g. a 5th and 7th, but as we have few needs, as such, if we can get 3 decent players from the draft with our top 3 picks, we won't be likely to be getting someone with those lower picks, who will make the roster.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t understand why they would have to get rid of Howard. 
Gronk, Howard and Brate is a pretty fantastic group of tight ends for a quarterback that knows how to use them. On top of the fact you can’t count on a healthy gronk 16 games. Be silly to trade him it’s not like his contract is big or his value is high right now. 

Because they dont need 3 starting TE1 players on the same team and could use OJ to bring in an asset that could be used elsewhere to help fill out the roster is my guess.  

Gronk will start, Brate would be a starter on most teams and so would Howard.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Because they dont need 3 starting TE1 players on the same team and could use OJ to bring in an asset that could be used elsewhere to help fill out the roster is my guess.  

Gronk will start, Brate would be a starter on most teams and so would Howard.  

They can’t possible be expecting 16 games of gronk. I would expect a heavy rotation of Brate and Howard and limited snaps of gronk to keep him fresh for the playoffs. That would just be me though. Howard isn’t gonna get much compensation 

Just now, Rc2catch said:

They can’t possible be expecting 16 games of gronk. I would expect a heavy rotation of Brate and Howard and limited snaps of gronk to keep him fresh for the playoffs. That would just be me though. Howard isn’t gonna get much compensation 

They were looking to move Howard prior to this anyway though.  Maybe he is just not a fit for Arians offense.

And I still think Gronk will start.  Gronk has been getting in shape because of WWE, I don't think he is in nearly as bad of shape as people think nor is he as old as some people think he is.  

Gronk will be Brady's safety net IMO, he has all that rapport and timing with him, so I think he will be the starter with a lot of 2 TE sets getting Brate on the field too.  

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why?

I want my own homegrown blue chipper. I think Howard is a good player, but you have to pay him that fifth year option the same year as Tre. Kmet is an excellent prospect and if I’m getting a tight end, I’m taking the 21 year kid for 4 years over the other guy for 2 years, one of which is an expensive option year. If its peanuts, say a fifth, I’d do it. Howard is overrated imo. 

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They were looking to move Howard prior to this anyway though.  Maybe he is just not a fit for Arians offense.

And I still think Gronk will start.  Gronk has been getting in shape because of WWE, I don't think he is in nearly as bad of shape as people think nor is he as old as some people think he is.  

Gronk will be Brady's safety net IMO, he has all that rapport and timing with him, so I think he will be the starter with a lot of 2 TE sets getting Brate on the field too.  

I don’t doubt he can play, but I don’t think he’ll last 16 games. He looked insanely skinny with WWE. I was shocked how small he looked. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t doubt he can play, but I don’t think he’ll last 16 games. He looked insanely skinny with WWE. I was shocked how small he looked. 

Lasting 16 games is certainly always a big question mark for him.  Gonna come down to how much the time away helped his body really.  

I just think they plan to start him, but I would expect plenty of Brate reps too of course.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I want my own homegrown blue chipper. I think Howard is a good player, but you have to pay him that fifth year option the same year as Tre. Kmet is an excellent prospect and if I’m getting a tight end, I’m taking the 21 year kid for 4 years over the other guy for 2 years, one of which is an expensive option year. If its peanuts, say a fifth, I’d do it. Howard is overrated imo. 

I don't see Kmet as a good prospect.  He's the best of a weak bunch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I don't see Kmet as a good prospect.  He's the best of a weak bunch.

I think he is Kyle Rudolph. He’s got great size, length, runs good routes, great hands, needs to work on his blocking and he’s a baseball player too, so a bit raw. My take on his situation is that he came out too early as a true junior. I think that he would have been a top 20 pick if he came out next year. 

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think he is Kyle Rudolph. He’s got great size, length, runs good routes, great hands, needs to work on his blocking and he’s a baseball player too, so a bit raw. My take on his situation is that he came out too early as a true junior. I think that he would have been a top 20 pick if he came out next year

It's possible but I don't know.  Not sure what made him decide to come out (too) early. 

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

1. His contract - two years on the cheap (since TB paid his signing bonus already). 1.5 mill this year and 2 mill next year.

2. His production - 

GP

REC

TGTS

YDS

AVG

TD

LNG

FD

FUM

LST

He was pretty good in 2018 and OK in 2019. Certainly worth the contract.

3. Possible Compensation to TB - I am guessing it would take a 4th rounder at least - and I think that is worth it.

4. Cut Lee Smith and make him an asst. coach. this is the year we have an out on his contract - will save on cap - 2 mill that will more than pay OJ Howard's salary

Bottomline - Beane Get him in!!

Edit: Dammit The Pats got him in exchange for Gronk. Belichik doesnt miss out on these opportunities. I was just getting excited. Sry guys I created an unnecessary thread.

Edit 2: Maybe not was misled by a wrong sportsline heading. OJ Howard still appears available. Yay!

One drop last season. Compare that to Knox and Sweeney.  Definitely someone to look at.

I would love him as a one year rental over Kroft. I wouldn't mind trading a 5th round pick or a marginal roster player for him. I wouldn't break the bank for Howard but if I can solidify the pass catching TE position and add depth over a guy in Kroft who struggles to stay on the field then I say it is worth the draft investment. 

I wouldn't keep Howard long term but one year and get a comp pick for him I am sold. This team must really like what Knox can bring and thinks Kroft can stay healthy if they plan to make zero moves at the TE position. I like what Knox can bring but I think he is a year away from being consistent and I don't think Kroft can stay healthy. Give me a better player at the position on a one year rental if the cost is reasonable. 

• Like (+1) 1