Browns release LB Christian Kirksey - Signing with Packers 2 years, 16 mill

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I fear that the Ravens are going to make this dude an enticing offer and ultimately woo him away from Buffalo.

Booooo, Ravens. Booooooooo!

Is this going to be like when Maclin visited and was best friends with Shady and took Videos of himself in the Bills locker room and then went to Baltimore to sign because he got free crab cakes for life?

or no

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This reminds me of when Jeremy Maclin was a lock to sign in Buffalo. McCoy was posting pictures with him at the Bills facility. Then bang, signed with the Ravens.

You forgot about the crab cakes from Jimmy’s Seafood. Key factor. We went so far as to buy him gifts off of his wedding registry and boost the page count of his thread by posting recipes and fashion tips. Alas, he did not choose wisely. Perhaps Kirksey has a brain. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

You forgot about the crab cakes from Jimmy’s Seafood. Key factor. We went so far as to buy him gifts off of his wedding registry and boost the page count of his thread by posting recipes and fashion tips. Alas, he did not choose wisely. Perhaps Kirksey has a brain. 

Exactly.  If there's ever a case for buyers and sellers remorse, that's the perfect example.  

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This reminds me of when Jeremy Maclin was a lock to sign in Buffalo. McCoy was posting pictures with him at the Bills facility. Then bang, signed with the Ravens.

Yeah. It seems like the Ravens are good at fleecing us on players. Just like with John Brown two years ago and then Jeremy Maclin. I wanna say it happened with another player to but can't think of who it was

The reasons that I think he may end up with the Ravens:

- Never discount the degree to which NFL players want to stick it to the team that released them. With Baltimore, Kirksey would get to play Browns twice a year
- He may perceive the Ravens as his best avenue to a Super Bowl. Who wouldn't want to play with Lamar Jackson?
- Ravens may be able to offer him more of a full time role. More snaps = more money.
- The "Ravens mystique" is real for defensive players, in my opinion.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and he signs with the Bills today.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

- Never discount the degree to which NFL players want to stick it to the team that released them. With Baltimore, Kirksey would get to play Browns twice a year
- He may perceive the Ravens as his best avenue to a Super Bowl. Who wouldn't want to play with Lamar Jackson?
- Ravens may be able to offer him more of a full time role. More snaps = more money.

All very good points. Especially the ability to play a larger role potentially, and the Ravens are more SB contenders present day than the Bills

• Like (+1) 1

I would love this signing, and I have a feeling he will sign here for the same reasons a lot of you already said.  

1 - Personal strong connections to the team, so he has great insight on how close our locker room is, how much of a rising team we are, Bills mafia, culture, etc.  

2 - McD is the kind of head coach guys want to play for and he’s quickly become one of the most respected coaches around the league already.  

3 - We are without a doubt seen as a young team on the rise with a great cap situation so should be good or better for foreseeable future.  

4 - Probably MOST important reason, we have the best medical and training facilities in the league and guys like KJ have already come in with injury history and had a healthy season and got their careers on track.  So for a guy whose played 9 games in 2 years after 4 healthy ones, I think this will matter quite a bit.

• Like (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would love this signing, and I have a feeling he will sign here for the same reasons a lot of you already said.  

1 - Personal strong connections to the team, so he has great insight on how close our locker room is, how much of a rising team we are, Bills mafia, culture, etc.  

2 - McD is the kind of head coach guys want to play for and he’s quickly become one of the most respected coaches around the league already.  

3 - We are without a doubt seen as a young team on the rise with a great cap situation so should be good or better for foreseeable future.  

4 - Probably MOST important reason, we have the best medical and training facilities in the league and guys like KJ have already come in with injury history and had a healthy season and got their careers on track.  So for a guy whose played 9 games in 2 years after 4 healthy ones, I think this will matter quite a bit.

He will sign wherever he gets the highest guaranteed $$s. He knows if he can't prove he can a) get healthy and b) stay healthy and c) get back to performing at his pre-2018 level then this is his last contract in the league. So it will come down to guaranteed $$s. Training staffs might enter the considerations but this for him will be a decision driven by money - and in his situation so it should be. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He will sign wherever he gets the highest guaranteed $$s. He knows if he can't prove he can a) get healthy and b) stay healthy and c) get back to performing at his pre-2018 level then this is his last contract in the league. So it will come down to guaranteed $$s. Training staffs might enter the considerations but this for him will be a decision driven by money - and in his situation so it should be. 

I don’t disagree with that, but I wouldn’t under estimate our facilities with how much the players have raved about it and how much it’s helped their careers.  A guy coming off 9 games in 2 seasons isn’t gonna get paid what he’s worth talent wise, so I think the offers are all going to be reasonably close to each other in value.  So I don’t expect Bills offer to much lower (if even lower) than say the best offer, so I do still think the potential to prove he can stay healthy to get that bigger deal next will play a large role in his decision.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t disagree with that, but I wouldn’t under estimate our facilities with how much the players have raved about it and how much it’s helped their careers.  A guy coming off 9 games in 2 seasons isn’t gonna get paid what he’s worth talent wise, so I think the offers are all going to be reasonably close to each other in value.  So I don’t expect Bills offer to much lower (if even lower) than say the best offer, so I do still think the potential to prove he can stay healthy to get that bigger deal next will play a large role in his decision.  

The Bills have generally kept deals with mid level FAs easy to get out of though. That has been part of Beane's plan - very sensibly too. If the Bills want a 1 year fully guaranteed deal they better hope everyone else is only seeing him as a one year type guy too. 

51 minutes ago, Logic said:

He asked for his release, not sure he cares that much about playing them twice but maybe 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

The Bills have generally kept deals with mid level FAs easy to get out of though. That has been part of Beane's plan - very sensibly too. If the Bills want a 1 year fully guaranteed deal they better hope everyone else is only seeing him as a one year type guy too. 

That’s a fair counterpoint, length of contract I could see being different.  But also, there is value to him not locking in a longer deal at a lower price given his high level of play prior to the bad luck last 2 years.  And given his last injury was a less concerning one (in terms of lingering) chest injury, I am willing to be bet he’s got self confidence that he’s not going to be injury prone and may prefer a shorter deal to prove that so he can get paid more like his talent level in a year or two.  I mean he really needs that big contract in next two years before he starts getting higher in age and won’t ever see it.  This will already be his 7th season.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

So we love a guy who’s played nine games in two seasons, yet we bash plenty of other players as injury prone .... makes perfect sense ?

Asking for a friend. Would you sign AJ Green and or Trent Williams?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Suggs got himself released and tried to get back to the Ravens because they were the odds on favorite for the Super Bowl.  Look how that turned out.

42 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Asking for a friend. Would you sign AJ Green and or Trent Williams?

That question needs to be re-phrased as "would you sign A.J. Green or Trent Williams at [fill in blank] million dollars for [fill in blank] years?..."

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

That question needs to be re-phrased as "would you sign A.J. Green or Trent Williams at [fill in blank] million dollars for [fill in blank] years?..."

Why no one is saying that on Kirksey just he has played 9 games in two years. So No. 

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Why no one is saying that on Kirksey just he has played 9 games in two years. So No. 

If he is healthy ???

He is a good fit he can cover and run stop. His pass rush was not all that. But that might be system and scheme.

Trust Coach to figure that part out.
Do not overpay of course, just add enough realistic incentives.

20 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

would love to get this guy.  but if not, there are other FA LB's out there.  

we should list them here quickly ?
 you are welcome to start.

Mine was Judon or Van Noy

8 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

If he is healthy ???

He is a good fit he can cover and run stop. His pass rush was not all that. But that might be system and scheme.

Trust Coach to figure that part out.
Do not overpay of course, just add enough realistic incentives.

we should list them here quickly ?
 you are welcome to start.

Mine was Judon or Van Noy

Judon is tagged. Also I think he’s a DE in this scheme, no?