Browns release LB Christian Kirksey - Signing with Packers 2 years, 16 mill

His NFL.com profile coming out of college lists him as a Will linebacker.  I think McDermott's scheme more or less treats the Will and Sam linebackers as almost interchangeable.  The would be helpful since Matt Milano has pretty much been a fixture at the Will spot.  He's fast and athletic.  The knock on him coming out of college is that he was not a great tackler and didn't generate a lot of big, game changing plays.  I'd be interested, but it would have to be at the right price.

15 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

His NFL.com profile coming out of college lists him as a Will linebacker.  I think McDermott's scheme more or less treats the Will and Sam linebackers as almost interchangeable.  The would be helpful since Matt Milano has pretty much been a fixture at the Will spot.  He's fast and athletic.  The knock on him coming out of college is that he was not a great tackler and didn't generate a lot of big, game changing plays.  I'd be interested, but it would have to be at the right price.

Why on earth would you weigh his college info when he's going into his 7th season in the NFL?

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Came to post this- seems like it would be a great fit... Only concern is if he wants to get back to being a 3 down backer, that role likely doesn't exist here.

Yeah It does seem he would be the one coming off the field over Milano and Edmunds. However knowing his coverage skills are really good your Big Nickel could just be Kirskey instead of that big Safety. 

also his coverage ability gives Milano a break or no drop off if Injury.  I think friends being here could also help recruitment too. 

Whitehead in Oakland and now Kirksey is available. Out of the 2, I think I'd rather have................

Schobert?

1 hour ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I also wish we'd alternate between 3-4 and 4-3... Rather have Joe Schobert

Beat me to it. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Yeh but the way they used Alexander in 2019 was pretty much a hybrid line, they had him everywhere from WILL to DT...made for some super confusing looks

Alexander was unique because he was effective at rushing the passer but could also drop into coverage effectively. It will be tough to replace him with just one player.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I mean those fronts are rare now a days. 

It's a shame because you are able to really have a spot for any player... I know nickel seems to be almost base D now

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Alexander was unique because he was effective at rushing the passer but could also drop into coverage effectively. It will be tough to replace him with just one player.

Joe Schobert can do both...

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Came to post this- seems like it would be a great fit... Only concern is if he wants to get back to being a 3 down backer, that role likely doesn't exist here.

Not really familiar with most of the Browns roster, but it sounds like he's got a similar skill-set as Lorenzo Alexander.

In Nickel, we often used Alexander as an extra pass rusher.  Kind of a hybrid DE-LB.  So it's quite possible that Kirksey would still play 50% or more of the snaps, depending on the formation we come out in.