Matt Miller@BR - Latest Buzz for every team

BarleyNY

Bills snippets:

Buffalo  Like the Eagles, the Bills need wide receivers. Tee Higgins would be a dream here to give Josh Allen a bigger target and someone to stretch the field vertically. In Round 3, if a receiver hasn't been drafted, big ones like Bryan Edwards and Donovan Peoples-Jones are names I've heard.

Stick to Football is in Indianapolis this week. We are hosting Sean McDermott (Buffalo Bills), Mike Vrabel (Tennessee Titans) and Matt Bowen (ESPN) live from radio row.

Notes from other teams ahead of the Bills could inform some trade options or necessities.  Lots of teams need WRs and Edge players.  Edge is not a good position in this draft after Young so I could see some massive overpayment to free agents - especially with the cap expected to jump up with the new CBA. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878167-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-latest-buzz-for-every-nfl-team-at-2020-combine?share=twitter

I don’t think Higgins is a fit at all. I know he’s got the size aspect, but he’s always dinged up. A lot of missed time within games, and someone on WGR, some draft guy, said he’s heard Higgins isn’t exactly the best locker room guy. Also the fact the Bills didn’t scout Clemson in person until the championship (where they also scouted LSU), tells me they’re not very interested. 

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I don’t think Higgins is a fit at all. I know he’s got the size aspect, but he’s always dinged up. A lot of missed time within games, and someone on WGR, some draft guy, said he’s heard Higgins isn’t exactly the best locker room guy. Also the fact the Bills didn’t scout Clemson in person until the championship (where they also scouted LSU), tells me they’re not very interested. 

Or they just know what they are getting with him already and are looking to hide their interest hoping he falls to us. 

I'm not worried about the injuries too much as we have one of the top if not best medical and weight room combos in the league which should help lessen those injury issues. 

As for being a locker room guy. I'm not sure that should matter. We already have leaders set up in the room on o and d. I think we'd be fine. 

4 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Or they just know what they are getting with him already and are looking to hide their interest hoping he falls to us. 

I'm not worried about the injuries too much as we have one of the top if not best medical and weight room combos in the league which should help lessen those injury issues. 

As for being a locker room guy. I'm not sure that should matter. We already have leaders set up in the room on o and d. I think we'd be fine. 

It's not really about leaders being present or being able to handle tough locker room guys, its about drafting guys who do not have that problem so they will in turn keep the other guys honest on their own. If you can draft  a guy without the mental warts, you do it. Especially for the city we're in. As for the discussion on Mental Warts Vs Physical Talent....at the end of the day you have to decide whether or not 1 makes up for the other... especially with the Divas in this league lately. 

12 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

go with justin jefferson who is faster and just an inch shorter 

He’s actually over 2 inches shorter, but who’s counting?

11 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Idk I’d personally take Jefferson, Mims, Reagor and Pittman all above Higgins

Pittman? Geez.

Yawn.   The national narrative is getting stale.

They keep slotting "big" possession-type WRs to the Bills--when Beane has repeated said the team needs a dynamic playmaker a'la Tyreek Hill who can score quickly / do big chunk plays.      

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I have Jefferson ahead of Higgins personally, but they don't really fill the same hole. Jefferson is a projection out wide; he was mainly utilized as a big slot in college. As we learned from Zay, it's not always easy to transition out wide. Higgins is already ready to line up out wide on Day 1.

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s actually over 2 inches shorter, but who’s counting?

Pittman? Geez.

Solid 40 and a great 3-cone show he has the agility to run all the routes. Plays all 4 phases of special teams, and his catch rate was something ridiculous like 86% for his career. He’s huge and not only big but physically imposing as well. 

Higgins is tall but slender. He worries me in a lot of ways. 

Edited by Dkollidas
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Bills snippets:

Buffalo  Like the Eagles, the Bills need wide receivers. Tee Higgins would be a dream here to give Josh Allen a bigger target and someone to stretch the field vertically. In Round 3, if a receiver hasn't been drafted, big ones like Bryan Edwards and Donovan Peoples-Jones are names I've heard.

Stick to Football is in Indianapolis this week. We are hosting Sean McDermott (Buffalo Bills), Mike Vrabel (Tennessee Titans) and Matt Bowen (ESPN) live from radio row.

Notes from other teams ahead of the Bills could inform some trade options or necessities.  Lots of teams need WRs and Edge players.  Edge is not a good position in this draft after Young so I could see some massive overpayment to free agents - especially with the cap expected to jump up with the new CBA. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878167-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-latest-buzz-for-every-nfl-team-at-2020-combine?share=twitter

:sick:

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I have Jefferson ahead of Higgins personally, but they don't really fill the same hole. Jefferson is a projection out wide; he was mainly utilized as a big slot in college. As we learned from Zay, it's not always easy to transition out wide. Higgins is already ready to line up out wide on Day 1.

I like Mims from Baylor.  Big guy, fast.  Likely available in Rd. 2.   Huge catch radius.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102818/article/nine-instant-impact-receivers-who-wont-cost-a-firstround-pick

41 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

What? Higgins biggest flaw is easily his lack of separation.

and getting dinged up and limited in his route tree and has the dropsies every now and then. There are better prospects I would take instead of him in RD2, he not a #22 or RD1 guy for me

giphy.gif

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yawn.   The national narrative is getting stale.

They keep slotting "big" possession-type WRs to the Bills--when Beane has repeated said the team needs a dynamic playmaker a'la Tyreek Hill who can score quickly / do big chunk plays.      

I think you can get both.  Aiyuk, Mimms, Claypool, all offer size and playmaker ability.  

57 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Higgins is a big radius target who gets separation that Allen would love. I would be ecstatic if we snagged him. 

Higgins seems like a big WR who likely gets injured often.  Goes up for the ball, BAM from a CB or safety or LB, injury.  

11 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

:sick:

The quality of info seemed to vary widely by team.  I almost didn’t post this because the Bills stuff seemed like mostly educated guesses rather than actual intel on others.  That’s a good thing from a leak standpoint. Also I thought that some of the write ups would be useful in determining where we might need to trade to and still get the kind of player we should be looking for.  And the McDermott interview might be good. 

Edited by BarleyNY

I seem to like Tee than most here..... not necessarily in terms of grade, I have a 2nd round grade on him, but in terms of where I stack him among the receivers. So I suppose it is less that I'm high on Tee and more that I am not convinced by any of the others in that group - Aiyuk, Reagor, Shenault and (for some seemingly, but not me) Jefferson. I think of those guys the one with the best chance of being a #1 receiver in the NFL is Tee Higgins. I don't know that the Bills will take (lack of scouting Clemson suggests maybe not) or that I think he is likely BPA at #22 but if he does end up being the pick I will not be disappointed.

49 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

And can't play outside to anywhere near the same level. If you are drafting Jefferson to me he ends up splitting a lot of time with Beasley.

21 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I like Mims from Baylor.  Big guy, fast.  Likely available in Rd. 2.   Huge catch radius.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102818/article/nine-instant-impact-receivers-who-wont-cost-a-firstround-pick

I think we might end up needing to trade up in the 2nd to get him which I'm a bit iffy about. I also don't think he'll really help much next season, so if we decide to go with him as our first WR pick in the draft, we need to acquire an established starter through free agency/trade IMO.

There's some very serious untapped potential in him though and it'll really depend on how quick he's able to tap into that. If he works on beating press coverage this offseason, he could end up playing a DK Metcalf role for us, but he's behind Metcalf from a developmental perspective right now.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

The more I look at the needs of teams in front of Buffalo in the 1st round, the more convinced I am that the top three wide receivers, top three-four offensive tackles, and top 2-3 pass rushers will be gone.

If this happens, it obviously puts the Bills in a bit of an odd spot. My hope is that they don't force a pick at any of the above mentioned positions if the value isn't there. Luckily, Beane seems to be the type to stick to his board and not reach for positions of need.

As such, if the above scenario plays out, we may see the Bills end up taking a player at a position that fans consider less of an immediate need, like cornerback, safety, or linebacker. With mega-bucks about to be handed out to Tre'Davious White, a cheap rookie on the other side for the next 5 years would seem to make sense. Likewise, a Kenneth Murray or Kyle Duggar to maintain/improve the potency of the defense.

In such a deep wide receiver draft, we should all be prepared for their 1st round pick to NOT be at that position. Lastly, I'm not usually a "trade down at all costs!" guy, but I would love it if they did so this year. Getting an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder in a year where the WR and RB value seems to lie there would be a wise move.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

The more I look at the needs of teams in front of Buffalo in the 1st round, the more convinced I am that the top three wide receivers, top three-four offensive tackles, and top 2-3 pass rushers will be gone.

If this happens, it obviously puts the Bills in a bit of an odd spot. My hope is that they don't force a pick at any of the above mentioned positions if the value isn't there. Luckily, Beane seems to be the type to stick to his board and not reach for positions of need.

As such, if the above scenario plays out, we may see the Bills end up taking a player at a position that fans consider less of an immediate need, like cornerback, safety, or linebacker. With mega-bucks about to be handed out to Tre'Davious White, a cheap rookie on the other side for the next 5 years would seem to make sense. Likewise, a Kenneth Murray or Kyle Duggar to maintain/improve the potency of the defense.

In such a deep wide receiver draft, we should all be prepared for their 1st round pick to NOT be at that position. Lastly, I'm not usually a "trade down at all costs!" guy, but I would love it if they did so this year. Getting an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder in a year where the WR and RB value seems to lie there would be a wise move.

I think safety is definitely something to keep an eye on in the first round. Expected to be a lot of good safety options in our draft range and not much after it.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Solid 40 and a great 3-cone show he has the agility to run all the routes. Plays all 4 phases of special teams, and his catch rate was something ridiculous like 86% for his career. He’s huge and not only big but physically imposing as well. 

Higgins is tall but slender. He worries me in a lot of ways. 

I prefer Jefferson over Higgins as well,  Jefferson is more of a slot guy imo.  Higgins is better on the boundary.  I think higgins checks several boxes and has a very high floor. He gets fine separation, has great hands and is quick off the line for a 6’4 wr. Solid in the RAC dept too.

I wasn’t a huge Higgins guy going into the predraft process but after watching a bunch of tape, I’m a believer. He’d be a super fit here imo

regarding Pittman, I like him too.  I have a rd 3 grade on him.  I’m just not a fan of his suddenness and he looks really stiff too me.  While I’d be happy to land him in rd 3, I’d much rather have Higgins.  I think he’s more polished

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The quality of info seemed to vary widely by team.  I almost didn’t post this because the Bills stuff seemed like mostly educated guesses rather than actual intel on others.  That’s a good thing from a leak standpoint. Also I thought that some of the write ups would be useful in determining where we might need to trade to and still get the kind of player we should be looking for.  And the McDermott interview might be good. 

The "mock" drafts, I would say especially with the Buffalo pick (since they don't know **** about this team) is simply lining up team needs against someone's "big board" without looking more into it than that. I think that is okay for RD3-7, but IMO RD1 & 2 need to be based more on this simple mindless thought process. 

10 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think safety is definitely something to keep an eye on in the first round. Expected to be a lot of good safety options in our draft range and not much after it.

DBs fit really nice around #22 - #32 and if we stay there, that is what we should be taking as that will very likely be BPA in the top tier of the remaining players based on positions.

We have 10 more days until Tags have to be locked in and 16-18 days until UFA vistis can begin and signings. Lots of fun coming up to plug our holes and then we can really start digging into what we and the 21 teams in front of us should do in RD1. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think they end up with two receivers in this draft, one in round two or three (I don't think they prioritize the position highly enough to warrant a first round pick) and one somewhere in the last couple rounds as well. I think Bryan Edwards is a real possibility. Looks like they've done a lot of homework on him. I haven't really dug in yet with the draft and whatnot this year but in trying to predict who the Bills would likely take just look for the guys who are team leaders or captains, are seniors or have three years of college ball under their belt, have positional versatility, and have high character. That be the McBeane player M.O.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Yep. They have a lot of young guys they'll need to pay in the coming few seasons, and they can't keep everyone. Getting a young safety in the fold now would allow them to use more of the three-safety or Buffalo Nickel looks that McDermott likes this season while having him replace Poyer as a full-time safety next season. Or, if they like using him as a roving, jack-of-all-trades player and he succeeds in that role, and if Jaquan Johnson continues to progress, they could just keep him in that roving role. It gives them flexibility.

Lastly, I'll say this: McDermott seems to be a safety whisperer. He has been able to get tremendous production out of afterthoughts like Kurt Coleman, Jordan Poyer, and Dean Marlowe. Just imagine what he could do with an actual blue chip safety prospect. I'm picturing game-changing, All-Pro type production. A safety like that can really change the face of a defense and can flip football games. I know it would anger 90% of Bills fans if the team took a safety high, but I'm not in that 90%. Passing and stopping the opposing passer is how you win football games, and a game changing safety is a big way to stop the opposing passer.

21 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think we might end up needing to trade up in the 2nd to get him which I'm a bit iffy about. I also don't think he'll really help much next season, so if we decide to go with him as our first WR pick in the draft, we need to acquire an established starter through free agency/trade IMO.

There's some very serious untapped potential in him though and it'll really depend on how quick he's able to tap into that. If he works on beating press coverage this offseason, he could end up playing a DK Metcalf role for us, but he's behind Metcalf from a developmental perspective right now.

Yeah I wouldn't want to trade up in the 2nd.  Who knows, perhaps Shenault falls in the 2nd to us.  He likely fell out of the 1st yesterday with his 40 time and others like Jefferson moving into the 1st.    I think most WR's (1st round or not) take some time to develop.  That's why I recommend grabbing Hooper (yes, a TE, but the best pass catcher likely to be available) in FA to pair with Knox.  

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yea.... Kristian Fulton, Patrick Queen, Kenneth Murray, Xavier McKinney.... if one of those 4 is there they are likely the BPA.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I seem to like Tee than most here..... not necessarily in terms of grade, I have a 2nd round grade on him, but in terms of where I stack him among the receivers. So I suppose it is less that I'm high on Tee and more that I am not convinced by any of the others in that group - Aiyuk, Reagor, Shenault and (for some seemingly, but not me) Jefferson. I think of those guys the one with the best chance of being a #1 receiver in the NFL is Tee Higgins. I don't know that the Bills will take (lack of scouting Clemson suggests maybe not) or that I think he is likely BPA at #22 but if he does end up being the pick I will not be disappointed.

And can't play outside to anywhere near the same level. If you are drafting Jefferson to me he ends up splitting a lot of time with Beasley.

Jefferson belongs in Green Bay - perfect fit.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea.... Kristian Fulton, Patrick Queen, Kenneth Murray, Xavier McKinney.... if one of those 4 is there they are likely the BPA.

McKinney is a draft crush of mine in terms of his fit with Buffalo and what I believe he could do in this defense. I know, I know, how original and creative to "crush" on the best safety in the class and an obvious 1st round talent. I think the Cowboys would be silly to pass on him, since they've needed a stud safety for over a decade now. With needs on the D-line and at corner, though, they may go a different direction.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Jefferson belongs in Green Bay - perfect fit.

Yep. That is where I think all those #2 receivers are fits - Green Bay and New Orleans. The other intriguing spot would be Tampa - because we know Arians loves bigger slot guys - but I doubt they go WR early with Godwin, Evans and all their other needs.  

1 minute ago, Logic said:

McKinney is a draft crush of mine in terms of his fit with Buffalo and what I believe he could do in this defense. I know, I know, how original and creative to "crush" on the best safety in the class and an obvious 1st round talent. I think the Cowboys would be silly to pass on him, since they've needed a stud safety for over a decade now. With needs on the D-line and at corner, though, they may go a different direction.

Agree. I did the Cowboys in our TSW Mock, traded back and still got McKinney. They'd be mad to pass on him.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Chase Claypool. 6'4-1/4", 238lbs, 4.42 40, 40.5" vertical, 80"+ wingspan, 10'6" broad jump, and got better every year in college. 

***bangs the table***

Great size, faster than I thought. How are his hands--is he reliable?

He is growing on me, can he be had in the 2nd round?

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I think they end up with two receivers in this draft, one in round two or three (I don't think they prioritize the position highly enough to warrant a first round pick) and one somewhere in the last couple rounds as well. I think Bryan Edwards is a real possibility. Looks like they've done a lot of homework on him. I haven't really dug in yet with the draft and whatnot this year but in trying to predict who the Bills would likely take just look for the guys who are team leaders or captains, are seniors or have three years of college ball under their belt, have positional versatility, and have high character. That be the McBeane player M.O.

Edwards may fall because of his broken foot. Would be nice if he fell to day 3 because of the injury.

• Like (+1) 1