Long term rosting building starts now: cap space 2020 $89 million & 2021 $198 million

Reed83HOF

Beane and company have done a great job with our Cap and our position going forward, this roster can be chaped in so many ways going forward. Cap Space and roster size is:

2020 - 57 players = $89 million in cap space

2021 - 21 players = $189 million in cap space

2022 - 13 players = $374 million in cap space

Here is the 2021 roster as of today:

image.thumb.png.77c71bd5b7698474543ba0a574081e49.png

2021 cap space

image.png.a6199d3ebc0fb848daf46b9cb03a3695.png

2022 cap space

image.png.bcfc905509d3792a69c7986f160218c9.png

What this means is we will have the ability to drastically alter the entire team and add blue chip playmakers (Hooper, Cooper, Yannick) starting this offseason while having plenty of money to pay our core of Tre, Edmunds, Oliver, Milano, Josh (provided he develops) and whoever else we deem is key. I know Beane wants to pay our players and build through the draft, but you can take reasonable shots in FA on a team that is starting it's trend up, which is where we are headed and reshape the team via the draft and mid level FA signings.

Our 2020 positional cap spending vs other teams based on positions:

image.thumb.png.a2789aec9e782b54a80e8333435a7012.png

image.thumb.png.4d5f504b36577e6138d23fc82eec2a17.png

image.thumb.png.14d94dd1eb510115a5b5d4bbaac731b0.png

image.thumb.png.4fe15920015cca4bab2e532d4a397a18.png

image.thumb.png.ca3891b6d778b2775ab87d9595b3263a.png

image.thumb.png.c4d7e7bf1ab8b028b7b8971ca0493b9f.png

image.thumb.png.a91616485d139222c1cb7cb2344a0bc9.png

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

those adjusted cap numbers for 2021 and beyond are not an accurate representation. unless we are fielding a roster less than 53 players.

It is as of today and that is the point, you can reshape the roster how we want this year next year and the years after, we have 0 long term commitments within the next 3 years. There is plenty of money in being able to chose who to extend and who to chase in FA (if we like) and even if Josh flops to be able to have a ton of space to reset and put money in other positions to allow a new QB to have a stacked roster

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

We could have the best roster in FB if we have stupid coaching who flipping cares!!!!

Way to look for the bright side! CONGRATS! Have a happy life with that attitude! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Just keeping it real man. 

What’s real is 2 playoff appearances in 3 years after a LONG drought. Also real is a top defense, and a promising QB. The $90+/- cap space going into next year is also VERY real. What you call real, I call unwarranted despair, and borderline whining. 

I get that our coaching and talent, especially on offense, need some improvement, but I love our trajectory. Coaches, like players, have the opportunity to continue to improve. The good news is they don’t lose a step when they turn 30, they just gain experience and wisdom.  Not judging, you feel free to see it your way. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

As of right now we only have 27 players under contract for the 2021 season.  Tre will set the market at cornerback and we have a number of guys on expiring rookie deals like Dawkins and Milano that will be getting paid, so this money will go quickly.

• Like (+1) 2

They can swing for the fences if they want. 
They can continue to build with bargain free agents. But luckily we’re in position to offer draft picks for an impact player. We’re picking low 20’s Beane should be floating that first rounder around the league this offseason looking to grab a real weapon for this offense. 
As bad as yesterday was the team is in fantastic shape. I am still very excited about our core players. 

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

What’s real is 2 playoff appearances in 3 years after a LONG drought. Also real is a top defense, and a promising QB. The $90+/- cap space going into next year is also VERY real. What you call real, I call unwarranted despair, and borderline whining. 

I get that our coaching and talent, especially on offense, need some improvement, but I love our trajectory. Coaches, like players, have the opportunity to continue to improve. The good news is they don’t lose a step when they turn 30, they just gain experience and wisdom.  Not judging, you feel free to see it your way. 

All I am saying you could have the best players on the field if the philosophy of this staff is to put a few points on the board and then play conservative and try not to lose what difference does it make. That stuff may work against Bad teams but when you're playing good teams you only get so many possessions and you damn well better make them count

Edited by ALLEN1QB

7 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

All I am saying you could have the best players on the field if the philosophy of this staff is to put a few points on the board and then play conservative and try not to lose what difference does it make. That stuff may work against Bad teams but when you're playing good teams you only get so many possessions and you damn well better make them count

I don’t believe that’s the philosophy as much as not trusting our offensive guys to execute. 
Either way, there’s zero chance mcdermott doesn’t watch tape on that game yesterday and say to himself “‘man I really screwed up” 

He is well liked in this league, I have to think some of his buddies text him and call and they discuss this kind of stuff. I’m not making excuses for them there are none, but he knows what’s wrong and why they are doing things this way. As mad as all of us are they are waaaaaay more embarrassed by what happened. It may have been the embarrassment needed to change. It’s his job to lose not ours. It matters to him more than us. He’s not the first coach to handle games this way. Hopefully he won’t be the coach who can’t or won’t adjust. 

And to follow up on the coaching aspect, if our guys execute better those points would of been on the board. There’s plenty of places to put blame on our styles of play 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I get it, and I understand your point. 

All I am saying is we don’t really have the horses to push this offense to “over-produce”. It may just be that we need more talent (which we DO), and it may be we need an altered philosophy at times. More talent and experience for Josh, and we might just be the real deal.....or just mediocre. I’m not willing to dance on Daboll’s grave yet. I’ll wait and see after another offseason. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

And to follow up on the coaching aspect, if our guys execute better those points would of been on the board. There’s plenty of places to put blame on our styles of play 

What do I think of the execution of the entire Bills offense? I'm all for it. 

Seriously though.... execution. Execution. Execution. 

• Haha (+1) 1

We have 3 years to win the Superbowl.  Then Allen gets a $150 million contract or is a free agent.  

We need to add pieces THIS offseason,.  Why? Look at the Vikings.  All those new pieces need a season to gel before anything clicks. 

I just don't see us adding a superstar WR with size, and stud RT, and another TE this off-season.  Those players won't hit free agency. 

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

These charts and numbers makes my brain ache.

I was just gonna say the same thing! 

42 minutes ago, peterpan said:

We have 3 years to win the Superbowl.  Then Allen gets a $150 million contract or is a free agent.  

We need to add pieces THIS offseason,.  Why? Look at the Vikings.  All those new pieces need a season to gel before anything clicks. 

I just don't see us adding a superstar WR with size, and stud RT, and another TE this off-season.  Those players won't hit free agency. 

Who says Allen will demand that kind of cash? Lets not put the cart before the horse.

45 minutes ago, peterpan said:

There do look like being two higher end RT options. The WR will have to come from the draft. Tight End maybe a trade....

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, wppete said:

Excellent post! @Reed83HOF

Just want to show that we have loads of cap space and are in a great position moving forward. We can be pretty aggressive in FA if we need, granted it is all dependent on who is tagged and who is out there. I expect us to look for Blue Chippers and we can be smart and front load contracts appropriately to lessen cap hits in later years. If you have a chance to get a player in FA and punt that position in the draft go for it. 

It also allows us the ability if Josh busts or isn't worth the $100+ million to fill out the orster with studs and take another shot at the end of year 5 for him - sets the new guy up with a potentially loaded roster....

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, peterpan said:

The only UFA or FA WR worth considering in the top 10 available for 2020 is Amari Cooper.  None available worth signing, so it's off to the Draft for everything else unless some out of nowhere trade happens.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There do look like being two higher end RT options. The WR will have to come from the draft. Tight End maybe a trade....

I might swing for Hooper; I am really becoming more comfortable with it - it buys Knox time to develop and lessen the pressure to produce right away and gives Josh a target who is ready to go. Can easily run some 2 TE sets as well and have even more fun on offense.

• Like (+1) 3

The 2021 rollover into 2022 does not look right due to minimum expenditure required as a percentage.  Somebody care to comment on that.  If revenue is growing exponentially for the league then it is growing exponentially for each team which will drive up all contracts going forward.  Just don't know how much of a bonanza this is going to be without a lot of research.

1 hour ago, wvbillsfan said:

So plenty of money for extending who beane chooses to extend. We are a team with a franchise qb and cap space. We have a rock solid defense. Not many teams I’d rather be a fan of right now. Arrow pointing straight up. 

Did you not see the above charts?!?!

An arrow aint the only thing pointing straight up.....why, no suh! 

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Need a FA WR too, though. Draft pick will take a little while to contribute. I like the TE thought and absolutely agree. Knox may develop, but a good FA will help in a big way. Josh needs immediate help to get a clear evaluation in his critical 3rd year. Decisions loom after that. 

10 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

The only UFA or FA WR worth considering in the top 10 available for 2020 is Amari Cooper.  None available worth signing, so it's off to the Draft for everything else unless some out of nowhere trade happens.

A WR trade could materialize. Beane has pursued this road before, and maybe this time it gets done. 

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The 2021 rollover into 2022 does not look right due to minimum expenditure required as a percentage.  Somebody care to comment on that.  If revenue is growing exponentially for the league then it is growing exponentially for each team which will drive up all contracts going forward.  Just don't know how much of a bonanza this is going to be without a lot of research.

I didn't check the math on Spotrac, just look at it this was we have 57 under contract for 2020, 27 for 2021 and 13 for 2022 as of now - regardless of cash - the expiring contracts allow us to fully reshape the roster in face of FA and BP in the draft and build around our core of Josh, Tre, Edmunds, Oliver etc...

Granted we will sign our own along the way while comparing against upgrades via FA, trades and the draft - the flexibility is honestly tremendous over the next 3 seasons and beyond to shape our roster.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Need a FA WR too, though. Draft pick will take a little while to contribute. I like the TE thought and absolutely agree. Knox may develop, but a good FA will help in a big way. Josh needs immediate help to get a clear evaluation in his critical 3rd year. Decisions loom after that. 

A WR trade could materialize. Beane has pursued this road before, and maybe this time it gets done. 

You might be able to minimize the WR with a TE like Hooper. I am very curious to see how FA plays out, it will show our general direction and obviously give us a strong insight into what positions they are prioritizing in the draft

11 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

None available worth signing, so it's off to the Draft for everything else unless some out of nowhere trade happens.

Welp.   Here's Dane Brugler's (the Athletic) top 10 WR prospects as of now.   Looks like a lot more smurfs than big size/speed guys:

Wide receivers:

1. *CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma (6-1, 192, 4.48)
2. *Henry Ruggs, Alabama (5-11, 192, 4.32)
3. *Jerry Jeudy, Alabama (6-1, 195, 4.50)
4. Laviska Shenault, Colorado (6-2, 224, 4.55)
5. *Tee Higgins, Clemson (6-3, 205, 4.47)
6. *DeVonta Smith, Alabama (6-1, 178, 4.46)

7. Jalen Reagor, TCU (5-10, 196, 4.42)
8. Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State (6-0, 203, 4.45)
9. *KJ Hamler, Penn State (5-9, 174, 4.44)
10. *Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan (6-2, 211, 4.46)