Allen out-playing other playoff QBs

wiseman3

3 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Allen wasn’t the problem yesterday. He should’ve never thrown the ball more than 30 times, not with the way Singletary was running. 

Yeldon shouldve been active as well, those two would’ve combined would provided a much needed boost in the short passing game, knowing the Texans were going to try and pressure Allen into mistakes.

This team could’ve won the east with better in game decision making throughout the year, not just yesterday, as well as actually dressing the best players come game day (Duke and Yeldon almost all season).

I love McDermott’s methods of preparing these guys, keeping them healthy, and getting them to buy into the “team” concept, hard to do with young millionaires.  I have no problems with the way the defense is called 99.9% of the time (3rd and 18!!!!), but his in game management (of the clock, playing not to lose, refusal to get away from slow plodding veteran backs - Tolbert, Ivory, Gore), and just the complete lack of consistent production on the offensive side of the ball in his entire tenure with Buffalo is concerning.

I like to think he still has room to grow as a coach, but I was definitely taken by surprise in his post game comments where he seemingly deflected much of the blame. I am starting to wonder if we aren’t hitting the McDermott ceiling. He’ll have atleast until the end of Josh’s rookie deal to prove he can make this team a legit contender.

Its concerning because he has no clue what to do with an offense.  He has no clue who to run his offense. He knows this pathetic 19 pt/game offense needs the D to carry the team all year. Sean better wake up and commit 75% of his draft and Free agency on Offense. Other than that 1 year with Chan, I can't even remember the last time our offense was any good?

Seriously, it helps a lot when you're watching other games to occasionally stop and ask yourself "What would people say if Josh Allen did that?"  You really start to notice that other QBs occasionally throw into double coverage, get interceptions dropped, take sacks, fumble the ball while scrambling / getting sacked, etc.  Allen just gets a disproportionate amount of criticism on all of those plays because that's the media narrative.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Its concerning because he has no clue what to do with an offense.  He has no clue who to run his offense. He knows this pathetic 19 pt/game offense needs the D to carry the team all year. Sean better wake up and commit 75% of his draft and Free agency on Offense. Other than that 1 year with Chan, I can't even remember the last time our offense was any good?

Beane knows perfectly well that we need more help on offensive.  He tried to sign Antonio Brown, remember.  

Last year was pretty slim pickings for WRs, and we did about as good as we could have by getting Brown and Beasley.  This year we should have better options both in FA and definitely in the draft.

13 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

After watching other playoff teams it's really astounding the playmakers they have. We're just not good enough yet to beat good playoff teams regularly. Those playmakers make a difference at that level.

Because Josh is kinda forced to play with one hand tied behind his back. Love Smoke but he's not a WR1. Love Devin but he's not a RB1. None of our TE's are anywhere close to TE1. Like Ford but he's not a RT. That's alot to deal with for a young learning qb. And on top of all this, Josh has area's to clean up too (ball security, deep throws, etc). Wishful thinking to expect Dabust to come off our hands. Sean and Beane have to have a stellar offseason.....

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe so.  But Cousins won today.

With a PERFECT 43 yard pass in OT on the road to win it. That was a thing of beauty I hope to see some of next year.....in Bills uniforms. 

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Hey man, this place is all about foolish denial with regard to Allen.

He's by far the most important person in this organization right now, and he's not very good.

Pretending he isn't the problem isn't going to improve the situation.

Asking your young QB to pass 46 times, run 9 times and go out for a pass 1 time(Was our only TD) while calling for only 21 hand offs in his first playoff game on the road no less while leading or tied for almost the entire game is a recipe for success, yes? 56 plays he was directly involved vs 21 hand offs, is down right criminal given how the first 2 2/3 quarters went. Where were the play-action passes that help young QBs out or max protection when they started to get pressure on him every play or screens where were they? Daboll's first 15 scripted plays and the player's execution were very good after that Daboll called an garbage game. 372 total yards out of our 425. 11 for 21 on 3rd downs with several coming on passes to very tight windows on the run. More drives(FGs included) ended because of bad play calling & offensive line penalties that put us behind the chains.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He didn't throw any picks pretty much sums up how most people grade QB. Allen made more than a few amazing plays not many QBs in NFL history could make. The pass to Singletary on 3rd down was unreal. That said he threw some really late passes that were in the hands of the defense. Doesn't hurt the QB rating much but those should count when grading his play.

I mean, all QBs throw passes that are dropped INTs.  It happens just about every game.  Watson threw at least one to Neil the same way. Neil dropped it.  

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I hope some people will watch these games and realize every QB makes bad plays. Even the best of the best like Brees, Mahomes and Rodgers. When you watch an entire game like you watch a Bills game you see that it’s a regular occurrence for QB’s to make a bad pass or get sacked. 

The other important thing to note is about offenses in the playoffs consistently scoring lower than their season averages. This is what playoff football ( usually ) is like. It doesn’t mean “ fire daboll” ... sheesh

45 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Allen outplayed Watson for sure.  

I won't watch any other NFL game.  For the same reason I don't watch WWF

I might watch the SB but I’ve been making so much money working doubles on the SB that it’s going to be a hard sell. I think this league is rigged, if it’s true that it’s a game of inches then the officials can definitely control the outcome of games. I’ve never returned Bills gear for Christmas but yesterday I returned over 600$ worth of it.

17 minutes ago, Billl said:

Every non Bills fan recognizes that this is a really good roster with good coaching and a liability at QB.  90% of this board sees the exact opposite.

Obvious formerly banned troll is obvious.  I wanted to put the laughing face on your post but that would have given you a +1 so I will put it here instead...

?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 34-78-83 said:

The other important thing to note is about offenses in the playoffs consistently scoring lower than their season averages. This is what playoff football ( usually ) is like. It doesn’t mean “ fire daboll” ... sheesh

What we score doesn't mean firing Duhball, but asking your young QB on the road in his first playoff game to pass 46 times, run 9 times and go out and catch a TD pass while only handing the ball off 21 times in a game we were up or tied for almost the entire game is. No play-action passes, only one or two screens and no max protection when they started getting to Josh are all valid reasons to fire him. He just doesn't learn from games like this and is his and our own worst enemy.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

With a PERFECT 43 yard pass in OT on the road to win it. That was a thing of beauty I hope to see some of next year.....in Bills uniforms. 

Yeah see the thing is that Cousins probably made a bunch of mistakes too.  In fact he did.  The difference is that when he threw "a PERFECT 43 yard pass".... his receiver came down with the catch and came down with it in bounds.  When Josh made  "a PERFECT X yard pass"  Duke dropped it and Brown with two yards to the sideline couldn't get his feet in bounds when he didn't have to leave his feet at all.

People blame QB QB QB.  Half the time the QB did enough but the players around him didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wiseman3 said:

So far, Josh has had a better performance than any other QB not named Watson (and he still out gained him by a considerable margin of total yards). Brees, Brady, Tannehill, and Cousins have all been pretty bad. I guess my message is that the playoffs are an entire different beast. Allen gets absolutely ripped apart for his mistakes, yet when you compare him to all others so far, he may have had the 2nd best performance of the playoffs. Get him some weapons and another legit RB, and we're in business. 

I’m one of the people who have been rough on Josh - but this is a Very good point 

27 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Seriously, it helps a lot when you're watching other games to occasionally stop and ask yourself "What would people say if Josh Allen did that?"  You really start to notice that other QBs occasionally throw into double coverage, get interceptions dropped, take sacks, fumble the ball while scrambling / getting sacked, etc.  Allen just gets a disproportionate amount of criticism on all of those plays because that's the media narrative.

This is a fantastic take. I’ve noticed most fans generally are extremely harsh on their QB. 

I know Steelers fans that hate Roethlisberger, Eagles fans that hate Wentz, Falcons fans that hate Matt Ryan, Cowboys fans that hate Dak, Rams fans that hate Goff, 49ers fans that Garroppolo. Those are all quarterbacks that people pound the table for here, or at least have at one point. 

They all tend to make similar comments that many on here make about Josh. They always tend to be hypercritical of every decision because they watch every play... meanwhile we look at stat lines, see Red Zone it watch a game here and there and think *insert QB name here* can remedy all of our problems. 

Everyone is constantly infatuated by what they don’t have and fail to appreciate what they do. It’s human nature... that’s why we’re fans and not making personnel decisions. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

You know what I'm jealous of is watching these receivers (Thielen, Thomas, Hopkins) and the catches they make to help the QB. John Brown had a nice year, but can't even execute a relatively simple toe drag.

Wr should be a 1 priority in the offseason, a couple of them.  We need offensive talent bad.  Our 1 reciever was a 2 or 3 on every other team as he should be here.  I like him a lot, but he is not a 1 WR.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah see the thing is that Cousins probably made a bunch of mistakes too.  In fact he did.  The difference is that when he threw "a PERFECT 43 yard pass".... his receiver came down with the catch and came down with it in bounds.  When Josh made  "a PERFECT X yard pass"  Duke dropped it and Brown with two yards to the sideline couldn't get his feet in bounds when he didn't have to leave his feet at all.

People blame QB QB QB.  Half the time the QB did enough but the players around him didn't.

I lean heavily Pro-Josh. I’m a supporter. I love the guy! He needs top flight NFL quality WR’s to help him grow (and some OL upgrades).  But if you want to defend his long ball this season, we’ve been watching different games. 

My point was, despite all the talk that Cousins can’t produce in the spotlight, that pass and catch was a thing of beauty. Read what I wrote, and take it at that. Don’t add any kind of twist that wasn’t there. It was a GREAT play, the kind I’d like to see more of next year for the Bills......especially if it leads to a playoff win. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I lean heavily Pro-Josh. I’m a supporter. I love the guy! He needs top flight NFL quality WR’s to help him grow (and some OL upgrades).  But if you want to defend his long ball this season, we’ve been watching different games. 

My point was, despite all the talk that Cousins can’t produce in the spotlight, that pass and catch was a thing of beauty. Read what I wrote, and take it at that. Don’t add any kind of twist that wasn’t there. It was a GREAT play, the kind I’d like to see more of next year for the Bills......especially if it leads to a playoff win. 

I wasn't trying to "twist" anything you were saying.  I was adding a comment on top of yours.  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’d put Allen ahead of Brees and just after Watson and Cousins thus far. Brees threw an INT and fumbled. He threw a TD and Allen caught one. Brees has Michael Thomas .Allen’s not better than Brees, but he had a somewhat better performance. 

Brees faced a legit top NFL defense. Allen did not. 

2 hours ago, Success said:

It seems like everyone is focused on a handful of bad plays.  He didn't throw any picks, and made big plays all day.

I have no worries about him or his future. He'll learn & get better.

He had 2 picks dropped that could have gone for 6.  He, like McD said, tried to do too much and I think he was reckless at times.  I love the kid, but he needs to reign it in at times.  I know it's hard to find a balance.  I would however, have him that any conservative QB.  

2 hours ago, wiseman3 said:

So far, Josh has had a better performance than any other QB not named Watson (and he still out gained him by a considerable margin of total yards). Brees, Brady, Tannehill, and Cousins have all been pretty bad. I guess my message is that the playoffs are an entire different beast. Allen gets absolutely ripped apart for his mistakes, yet when you compare him to all others so far, he may have had the 2nd best performance of the playoffs. Get him some weapons and another legit RB, and we're in business. 

Wiseman3, how appropriate ... I just had an epiphany. Josh can invite you over to watch Kirk Cousins and the Vikes against the 49ers next Saturday.

44 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Under Greg Roman after Watkins went public about getting the football. The passing game remained inconsistent but there were deep shots coupled with a top rushing attack.... which is my problem with Daboll.... if you have a back averaging 5 yards a carry you run him till he pukes. It makes everyone else on the offense perform better. 

1 hour ago, LittleSammy said:

Would I rather have paid Kirk Cousins $100M to be our QB or take Allen with some of his occasional hair pulling mistakes? I'll take Josh.

I argued for the Bills to sign Cousins.   

I was wrong.   I'll take Josh all day.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

He had 2 picks dropped that could have gone for 6.  He, like McD said, tried to do too much and I think he was reckless at times.  I love the kid, but he needs to reign it in at times.  I know it's hard to find a balance.  I would however, have him that any conservative QB.  

Maybe you don't ask him to throw 46 times in his first playoff game, on the road, while leading or tied for almost the entire game then? 

6 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Brees faced a legit top NFL defense. Allen did not. 

Brees benefits from a mountain of experience including a bunch of past playoff games. Allen does not.

Defense on pace to give up the second most points in the playoffs.  

Allen, for his warts, made way more plays than these other QBs (not named Watson)

I think being the first game on WC Weekend distorted our views a bit. 

1 hour ago, Process said:

Allen was not the problem. Coaching lost us this game and McD can f off for calling out Allen after the game. 

Brown leaping out of bounds and williams dropping a TD on two beautiful passes by Allen also didn't help. 

Looking forward to next year when hopefully Daboll will be gone and we have some real NFL talent around him. 

I'm not an Allen hater.  I do have concerns though.  Until he shows he can keep his head under pressure, I'll continue to have concerns.  He executed the initial drive script well.  He made a few positive plays because he has talent and athleticism.  He made some errors that did not show growth.  He should have been picked three times if Houston had defenders that can catch (hello Mr. Roby).

The lateral though.  That caused me to lose a lot of faith that he may already be near his ceiling.  Booger said he liked Josh's poise.  Booger's poise bar is obviously WAY lower than mine.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I'm tougher on JA the most part but I thought he played very well. Fans of other teams seeing him for the first time thought so as well generally.

Umm, listen, I hope & pray that JA comes around next year and turns into the 2nd coming of Jim Kelly......but from what I've seen to date, most people around the nation do NOT think highly of JA. (As seen in a Chiefs forum linked by someone else earlier in this thread)

Edited by John in Jax

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

He was slipping tackles and dragging defenders for extra yards and he only gets 13 carries? It was downright criminal of Duhball.

He should have had double the carries.  Insane.  People are complaining here that they were too conservative.  They weren't conservative enough.  They should have shortened the game with running him, not Gore.  No disrespect too Gore, but he's done.

1 minute ago, John in Jax said:

Umm, listen, I hope & pray that JA comes around next year and turns into the 2nd coming of Jim Kelly......but from what I've seen to date, most people around the nation do NOT think highly of JA. (As seen in a Chiefs forum linked by someone else a few posts above from this post)

Who cares

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Umm, listen, I hope & pray that JA comes around next year and turns into the 2nd coming of Jim Kelly......but from what I've seen to date, most people around the nation do NOT think highly of JA. (As seen in a Chiefs forum linked by someone else a few posts above from this post)

I know. Point is he played above that rather low bar in a playoff game. I'm aware he's set that bar for himself tho.

It's a forum reacting over his lateral throw. From Chiefs fans watching Mahomes. That's a super specific time and place to guage national opinion dude. Like a Chiefs forum page immediately following a Mahomes pick is a good place to evaluate his career?

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

1 hour ago, LittleSammy said:

Would I rather have paid Kirk Cousins $100M to be our QB or take Allen with some of his occasional hair pulling mistakes? I'll take Josh.

So would I and I said so at the time. I did think Kirk played decent tonight though. Fair play to him.