"The Process" - from Playoff Caliber to Championship Caliber & Delusional Bills fans

Motorin'

It's clear to me that the process McD preaches has several stages. He has achieved a major step, establishing a culture and roster that is playoff caliber. In 2 of his first 3 years the Bills are in the playoffs. 

After last year's 6-10 season, it would be extremely unrealistic for fans to expect or demand a "championship caliber team" this year.  And yet, playing the top 2 teams in the AFC late in the season (Ravens and Pats) the Bills were within one score and had the ball in scoring position late in both games. 

There are clear improvements the team needs to make to move from playoff caliber to championship caliber, and the fact that those needs are clear is an amazing accomplishment! I am so encouraged that the next 3-5 years of Bills football is going to put the team in position to compete for the Super Bowl.

At the same time, the number of delusional fans that expect the team to be championship caliber this year, and call for the firing of McD, or Daboll or Allen, well. In my opinion, you all deserve another 20 years of musical chairs at head coach and qb,  and another 2 decade playoff drought... Maybe you can buy a billboard that calls for Josh Allen to be cut if it makes you feel like you have power?

As for me, I'm looking forward to talking about ways to improve, to talk about what the Bills can do to make that transition from playoff caliber to championship caliber. But I don't have the need to have a public crucifixion after a Bills loss, to call for blood to satisfy my inability to accept disappointment... 

I'm looking forward to the playoffs, and I'm excited to see what adjustments the coaching staff makes to get better themselves. But I'm not expecting a championship this year, and that's ok. Because the Bills aren't championship caliber yet. And that's ok. 

• Like (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

It's clear to me that the process McD preaches has several stages. He has achieved a major step, establishing a culture and roster that is playoff caliber. In 2 of his first 3 years the Bills are in the playoffs. 

After last year's 6-10 season, it would be extremely unrealistic for fans to expect or demand a "championship caliber team" this year.  And yet, playing the top 2 teams in the AFC late in the season (Ravens and Pats) the Bills were within one score and had the ball in scoring position late in both games. 

There are clear improvements the team needs to make to move from playoff caliber to championship caliber, and the fact that those needs are clear is an amazing accomplishment! I am so encouraged that the next 3-5 years of Bills football is going to put the team in position to compete for the Super Bowl.

At the same time, the number of delusional fans that expect the team to be championship caliber this year, and call for the firing of McD, or Daboll or Allen, well. In my opinion, you all deserve another 20 years of musical chairs at head coach and qb,  and another 2 decade playoff drought... Maybe you can buy a billboard that calls for Josh Allen to be cut if it makes you feel like you have power?

As for me, I'm looking forward to talking about ways to improve, to talk about what the Bills can do to make that transition from playoff caliber to championship caliber. But I don't have the need to have a public crucifixion after a Bills loss, to call for blood to satisfy my inability to accept disappointment... 

I'm looking forward to the playoffs, and I'm excited to see what adjustments the coaching staff makes to get better themselves. But I'm not expecting a championship this year, and that's ok. Because the Bills aren't championship caliber yet. And that's ok. 

Good post, and welcome. You know something not discussed enough is to learn where you need to improve you need to play the best. They expose your weaknesses and you adapt accordingly. We are at that stage IMO, we can go a long way yes, but we have some areas that are clearly in need of improvement.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

What made you decide to ruin an otherwise perfectly decent thread by adding large chunks of snark and also demeaning those around you?  Is that your clickbait style or are you an ass?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What made you decide to ruin an otherwise perfectly decent thread by adding large chunks of snark and also demeaning those around you?  Is that your clickbait style or are you an ass?

Sounds like someone's a bit convicted by the OP's words.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

It gets a lot harder once you pay Josh. This year and next is a crucial time

People say things like this, yet the teams that usually win have QBs not on rookie contracts. 

Thankfully, our GM, HC and scouting department are legit, so I don’t worry too much about them identifying talent, coaching up and drafting well when that time comes. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

In what way?

Why on earth would you have taken offense to that post?

He's absolutely correct. SO many bills fans have a first reaction of demanding blood after EVERY loss. And SO many Bills fans are completely angry while simultaneously being low-information.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Why on earth would you have taken offense to that post?

He's absolutely correct. SO many bills fans have a first reaction of demanding blood after EVERY loss. And SO many Bills fans are completely angry while simultaneously being low-information.

I get that you wouldn't understand.  Your history is your history.  Irregardless to what you believe, making good points while also calling people delusional doesn't strengthen the thread.  It does just the opposite as evidenced by your presence.

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

I get that you wouldn't understand.  Your history is your history.  Irregardless to what you believe, making good points while also calling people delusional doesn't strengthen the thread.  It does just the opposite as evidenced by your presence.

Disirregardless, you mean?

And I stand by my take on the "fans" of this team. One need only be in the GDT every week to see it, it's plain as day.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Cripple .. I don't get the angst against the OP either ... all the poster was saying is to quote Martin Lawrence from Bad Boys II .. to WOOSAH and enjoy the positive trend vs. the prior decades of lack luster performance whereby some on this board .. can't take a step back to embrace and respect the work done by this current regime to date.  TRUST THE PROCESS!!

image.png.794a41941de209869de1d17ff7e4b757.png

23 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

anyone who is thinking super bowl is kidding themselves...they are building it right, not there but its coming....now we can hope for super bowl this year but were not that caliber of team. That said could we beat every team in the playoffs on the AFC side- no doubt could also lose these teams are all on the same level right now Balt maybe a notch higher but not that much. teams have figured out how to slow KC down, Pats are slipping, Pitt always tough but cant blow you away, Texans up and down its a weird year 

• Like (+1) 1

Good post by the OP. 

Josh's cap hits for 2020 and 2021 are $5.8Million and $6.74Million.  This is the window to move to compete at the next level (one of the top 2 AFC teams), but make no mistake, Beane and McDermott know how to find and develop talent and the Bills will be competitive for a while beyond 2021.

They will adjust and adapt to Josh having $20Million more of the cap.  However, for the next two seasons, this team still will be building talent and depth not letting talent go. 

For the next two years, the Bills will continue to add to weapons on offense, add quality depth to the OL and add talent across the D through the draft and free agency. The young core in addition to Allen (Dawkins, White, Edmunds, Oliver) will be kept and extended at least through 2026. They will grow their own veteran leadership at each position. 

Post 2021, the roster will be in constant churn of 10 or so players each year.   We will hate seeing some guys go -- but that is part of managing the cap and roster responsibly.  I have a lot of faith in the scouting staff to find talent and the coaching staff led by McDermott to develop talent. 

BTW, extend Beane and McDermott now...pay them a lot to stay and continue.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

The game day experience is ruined for me in large part by the pervasive negative attitude I've described in this post. I'm calling out a type of fan behavior, exhibited on this forum, that I despise. It's the behavior that turns me off, in the context of where the Bills are and where there's good reason to think they are going. 

I wish there were 2 game day threads. One to talk about what the Bills need to do to win, and one for posters to talk about who needs to be blamed and fired... I'd always post in the solution focused thread. But clicking through page after page of raw hatred just makes me want to leave and stop communicating on the forum with fellow Bills fans. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Well facts are facts. Expecting this year’s edition of the Bills to be championship caliber could be considered delusional. The OP wasn’t wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly, two years ago they backed into the playoffs in a most unbelievable way. IOW, they got as lucky as hell when the Bungles converted a 4th and 12 for a late TD against a decent Ravens defense. The Bills did NOT control their destiny there.

As for the rest of your post, you make some good points but I STILL see a LOT of UNdisciplined acts by the Bills out on the field, so the latter tells me that coaching isn't as good as you think it is.

SF went 3-13 last year & are 12-3 this year with a much harder schedule.

So tired of people so enamoured with this team.....  They are 25-22 under McD & were 24-24 prior three years.....  

I'm a fan & always will be but yes expect more.

Next year will be a much harder year, with a tougher schedule (NFC West), so will be interesting to see what happens.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, TPS said:

Yes, many Bills fans would be calling for Gilmore to be benched or traded after he gave up that TD to Smoke..

BTW Gilmore got SMOKED on that beautiful move and I’m still smiling!!

GO BILLS 

• Like (+1) 1

Well said OP. I see both sides of this. It’s so easy to get emotional about this team. I am guilty as the next guy. After a loss I want to look for a reason why and then I asses blame and then I want actions to be taken. The fact is the action is underway. It became underway the minute McDermott was hired and then Beane. Process has become a joke around here, but ThIS IS the process. 
First year asses.

Second year, break it down and lay foundation

Third year build on foundation

Fourth year Add more finishing pieces.

This team is right on the path that Beane and McDermott want. I am sure they see the opportunity that is in front of them this year. The Bills can and have played with some of the best teams in the league. 
A playoff win this year would leave me satisfied after I calm down from the disappointment when and if we lose the last game. 
I don’t think this Bills team will get blown out while Beane, McDermott, and Josh are here. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So tired of people so enamoured with this team.....  They are 25-22 under McD & were 24-24 prior three years.....  

Next year will be a much harder year, with a tougher schedule (NFC West), so will be interesting to see what happens.

^angry, miserable, hateful attitude people like me despise.

And he's one of like a million people like that.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. This was one of the easiest losses for me to ever deal with as a fan (my fandom started in the early 2000s). We're in the playoffs and I'm not expecting a championship so I'm just enjoying watching the team as it tries to improve and go as far as they can go this year. Seeing everyone freak out is very confusing to me since this is easily our best season in 20 years. I'm excited to watch the rest of this season and for the upcoming seasons. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

I said in the post game thread yesterday that this team is a year ahead of schedule. 

This was really the first year of the “build” part of their re-build. Last year they finished the tear down and got the cap back in order. This was the first offseason where they started truly adding talent back in. 

If they can win a playoff game this year I’ll consider the season a pretty huge success. 

Just making the playoffs with 2 weeks left in the season was a big step IMO and makes this season a success. But I really want to see a playoff win, so... 

I think this season was always mainly about Josh Allen’s growth. They gave him a lot more responsibility at the LOS, rebuilt his o line and got him a few weapons on offense. We need him to continue his growth if we want the Bills to be a true contender. But he’s not there yet. He was the most raw 1st round QB from his draft class. He didn’t get the top tier QB coaching other draft prospects get. He said himself that he didn’t receive any coaching in high school or Junior college and barely any at Wyoming. We can’t expect him to be an elite, franchise QB overnight. But for the first time in a long time I feel pretty good about the growth and development of our young QB.

The future is definitely exciting. How many contending teams have $25M in cap space left over this season, and $90+M next season? The Bills are in a great spot to continue their upward trend next season (and beyond). They should have an easier time attracting free agents now. They have the best facilities in the NFL (or damn close), they have an elite defense, are in the playoffs and have a young QB + owners+coach+GM+team culture that all the players just rave about.

The Bills window is just starting to open. It’s probably not our time this year, but I see a bright future! 

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So you don't think it's likely the Bills will improve as much next year as they did this year?

We're in position to add talent through the draft and FA, ton of cap space. Are contributing rookies will have a whole off season of NFL strength and conditioning, Oliver, D Johnson, Songletary, Knox...

And Josh will have an entire off season to build on his improvements this year.

But no chance of being better next year, huh?

"Because the Bills aren't championship caliber yet".

This is a now league my friend. Just because you make the playoffs this

year doesn't mean much due to free agency and who knows how the

draft pans out. The Rams  went from the SB loss last year to missing

the playoffs when many of there fans thought they would win the SB.

Many teams have 1/3 in change of personnel. 

We know what McD is, we know what Allen is, what we don't know is

what the front office will do this spring and summer.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

No it doesn't, you are one of the very few that could have taken offense from his post.  I would go as far as to say that his post was one of the most reasonable posts that I have read all day.  Your post on the other hand. :bag:

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Easterner said:

Totally, what reason is there to believe that the Front Office can strengthen the roster in an off season through draft and Free Agency?

And you are so right, we know exactly what Josh Allen is, and there's no reason to believe that anyone at the QB position can change and grow... No evidence that can happen... Once a Wyoming QB always a Wyoming QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

Good job to the OP in bringing one out of the woodwork. I guess crippled wasn't snarky or demeaning cuz he asked politely if your an ass. Maybe he feels 2 wrongs make a right ?!? But IMO the OP isn't wrong.

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

The game day experience is ruined for me in large part by the pervasive negative attitude I've described in this post. I'm calling out a type of fan behavior, exhibited on this forum, that I despise. It's the behavior that turns me off, in the context of where the Bills are and where there's good reason to think they are going. 

I wish there were 2 game day threads. One to talk about what the Bills need to do to win, and one for posters to talk about who needs to be blamed and fired... I'd always post in the solution focused thread. But clicking through page after page of raw hatred just makes me want to leave and stop communicating on the forum with fellow Bills fans. 

Separating the 2 is a great idea, but we have that " can't have good things" group that would post in both.

28 minutes ago, Easterner said:

As you say, this is a now league. Why some can't enjoy the "now" is just stupid. Depending on this week's outcome there could be only 6 teams with a better record. At worse 8 teams with a better record. Maybe you should enjoy the "now" you speak of, my friend. 

Or don't.

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

It gets a lot harder once you pay Josh. This year and next is a crucial time

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

He's on a 5 year contact, no?

4 with a 5th year option. 

The QB market keeps chugging along at about 20% of the salary cap. The question is, can we win 10+ games per year with Josh Allen taking up that cap space. Or inversely, how many games would we win this year if we subtracted 35M in salaries from our defense. 

To my eye, JA has a long way to go before we can safely afford not paying his supporting cast in favor of paying him, and still win more football games than we lose. 

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Right on the money.  Exactly right.  

The challenge is to get better - better coaching, better execution.   Some of getting better will involve personnel changes, some will involve people just getting better at their jobs.  

Irregardless isn't a word, no matter what you think, say or link.  It's not a word!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Who should Bills fans be enamored with, the 49ers like you are? 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I have a hard time trying to understand these type of points.

SF is playing great this year BUT last year most posters using a team to compare the Bills to were the LA Rams.

Look where they are right now.  Maybe they didn't build the proper way and tried to buy a team.

Maybe (we don't know yet) the Bills are doing a better job moving methodically forward.

As for the teams record over the last 3 years I don't know what you're point is.  Do you want a new coaching/GM staff?

Personally I would 100% against that.

Instead of going backwards with last years record you would of preferred they stayed with TT?

Going to a rookie QB (especially one as green as Allen) usually takes some time to get back to winning.

Next year is next year.  The AFCE will face the same teams.  

All in all it's been a fun year so far and there is more to come........................I'm enjoying that.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They were 4-12 last year but that's besides the point. Do you think Garrappolo being injured for the entire season last year might have something to do with this?

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I misinterpreted the title of your post and was expecting you to start slamming this team for some reason, but I thought you summed up this team and where we're at perfectly. Well done!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Kyle Shanahan is 22-25 with the 49ers.