MNF: Baltimore at LA Rams

YoloinOhio

37 minutes ago, MDH said:

For the longest time coaches and GMs in the league said that the college offense wouldn’t work in the NFL. I always wondered why.

Baltimore sure seems to run a college option offense with great success.

For the longest time the new college offenses didn't work.

Now these players are permeating the NFL year after year so things are changing.

It's evolution.  BUT don't underestimate the adaptability of NFL defenses.

A few years ago that "college coach" in Philadelphia was all the rage.

3 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

Lamar looks great but its the typical flash in the NFL. Last year was Mahomes and this year is Jackson. Its like Mahomes has suddenly dropped off the face of the earth this season. 

If a 65% completion percentage, 2808 yards, and 18 TDS to only 2 INTS is falling off a cliff we need to shove Allen off of it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

36 tried to pick it up and run. Just fall on it.

He's the same DB that drew the unsportsmanlike flag for swatting the ball away from the refs.  If I'm John Harbaugh, I have a few words with him

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

We wish Allen was leading an elite offense. We wish Allen was getting legit MVP hype. If he was, nobody would be saying it wouldn’t last. 

There would be lots of skeptics. Even more so if he was doing it leading  an unconventional offense featuring him as a runner. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We wish Allen was leading an elite offense. We wish Allen was getting legit MVP hype. If he was, nobody would be saying it wouldn’t last. 

The smart ones would. Running quarterbacks don't last. You have a very, very small window to win.

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Bang, I know you liked Jackson pre-draft a lot. I also, liked Jackson pre-draft and had him pegged as my #3 overall and was one of the few that supported drafting him around here.

With that, you and I both know if he runs like this game in and game out his career will most likely end somewhere in his early 30's if not before. It's not sustainable for a QB longevity. 

For the Ravens this could be the plan all along. When teams "make him play QB" he will carve them up as well. 

Edited by Real McCoy

3 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

I agree. I checked the stats and see Lamar has more passing yards per game and passing TDs than Allen...so our offense needs to become more of a passing team too then? Because when I say that everyone gets at me for it. 

That's coaching which comes up with good schemes, which I attribute to John Harbaugh who is among the best in the NFL...Harbaugh, Carroll, and BB

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, OZBILLS said:

Would you take a SB win next year with Josh and then he retires or Josh to last 15 fantastic years but no SB?

Does he get hurt in the SB? Cuz if he get's hurt before that, we can win it without him. If that's the case, SB. This Raven's team won't win it if he get hurt. JMO

Colin Cowherd had an interesting observation today about Lamar & Baltimore.  He said they were the 2015 Carolina Panthers all over again.  A freaky, gifted QB that did things that no one really had done before in the NFL combined with a great coaching staff and strong defense.   And it translated into a 15 - 1 season and Super Bowl berth.  The NFL then caught up with Cam and while the Panthers remained a playoff contender they never approached the heights of 2015 again.

The NFL is now desperately trying to catch up with what the Ravens are doing.  But all these defenses are built to stop spread offenses that throw the ball.  A team with a great O line, bruising RB, shifty & fast QB and a stable of TE's and a COMMITMENT to run the football on any down & distance situation is simply unlike what every other NFL team does.  

My guess is that the Ravens run will end on a cold, windy day in Foxburro in the AFC title game.  Then next year you'll notice that Cleveland & Pittsburgh will field defenses better able to handle this type of offense.   Division opponents are always the first to successfully adjust.  And of course the NFL being a copy cat league means that other teams will try to run the Ravens offense.  This hastens the process of defenses catching up to the Ravens offense because they have to find personnel that can play against this type of offense.  

In the end the NFL will catch up.  The question is how long will it take.  But it wouldn't shock me if by net year the league has caught up.   Just look at the LA wonder offense - the league has caught up and passed it by.

• Like (+1) 1