McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He didn't say anything.  If he had balls, he'd have either said, "this team was set behind years by the previous GM and HC," or said, "Brandon Beane and I have already made bad decisions and we're trying to avoid making more," or both.

But he said neither.

His wording is cryptic and weak, if you ask me.

He played the smart card- the NFL circle is small. No need to burn bridges or throw previous regimes under the bus. He took a shot across the bow in a classy way. IMO a very smart move.

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

What it says to me is that previous regimes sucked at their jobs, and this team has likely one or two more drafts before they are who we want them to be. A good number of fans will not wrap their collective heads around this reality, and will whine insensately for the duration of this season at a minimum.  SM envisions a Steelers/Pats type of team organization and he knows we are not there yet.  I get it, and am willing to wait, we still likely make the playoffs this year so we got that.

Go Bills!!!

Spot on Don. Could not agree more. 

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Whaley's trades for players:

Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes

Kiko Alonso for Lesean McCoy

A fifth and a seventh for Matt Cassel and a sixth

Trade deadline trades: I'm fairly certain the number under Whaley was zero. 

I believe he was referring to poor decisions overall not just those made at the trade deadline. He wasn’t inferring they all deals done at the trade deadline are bad. He was inferring that in answering the question about why no trades yesterday, there were deals they could have made that they ultimately didn’t deem responsible and that didn’t match up with their overall strategy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I can't think of any blockbuster trade deadline deals the Bills have executed in recent history. 

There was the KB trade.  There was the year we got rid of Dareus, Glenn, Sammy, and paid Corey Coleman for 2 weeks of service but few view those moves poorly. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Not to mention that EJ was really a Nix pick. There is no indication that Nix did anything in the Hughes trade, although it is possible. He was already out the door. He wasn't going to leave before getting a QB and he wanted EJ (amongst all of the other crappy choices). and you're absolutely right about the trade down and result.

I do think that Whaley played a large role in the drafting of Manuel. He did all of the scouting and worked him out personally on a rainy day in FL. Fun fact: he was almost certainly the anonymous Bills front office person who talked down Matt Barkley after going to his pro day at USC. 

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That wasn't a trade for a player, however. That's the issue. Also, with regard to Manuel, at least they traded down before taking him. They netted Alonso out of that, which they later turned into McCoy. 

While he was asked about trades, it’s pretty clear he was talking about “ irresponsible decisions”, which includes many things. Otherwise , he’d have said “ irresponsible trades”. Overall, it was a true and rather innocuous statement by McD. 

All joking aside, that was uncharacteristic of McD, which hints at possible dissent at the deadline in the front office.   There was zero reason to offer that to the press, considering it's his GM who's been the most active in the trade market over the past decade.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

He played the smart card- the NFL circle is small. No need to burn bridges or throw previous regimes under the bus. He took a shot across the bow in a classy way. IMO a very smart move.

No burn bridges or throw anyone under the bus would be to say, "We like the guys we have. We made and received calls trying to improve our team but the prices were too high for us to make a deal."

2 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

I respectfully disagree.

Classy would have not been saying anything at all.

What he did was kind of slimy, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

While he was asked about trades, it’s pretty clear he was talking about “ irresponsible decisions”, which includes many things. Otherwise , he’d have said “ irresponsible trades”. Overall, it was a true and rather innocuous statement by McD. 

Yeah, I know that, but the question was specifically about trades. As for the Bills acting responsibly or not before his arrival, I don't know. Their main problem was an inability to hit on a QB. 

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Andy Reid and Sean Payton were the two people who were all in on Mahomes. 

No kidding, I remember it well.  However, if it was that obvious to the all knowing , the dark lord in Foxboro would have been all over it. 

No kidding, I remember it well.  However, if it was that obvious to the all knowing , the dark lord in Foxboro would have been all over it. 

The dark lord may well have known and engineered it such that the one guy he knew he could beat in a crucial game, Andy Reid, would end up with Mahomes.  

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Yeah, I know that, but the question was specifically about trades. As for the Bills acting responsibly or not before his arrival, I don't know. Their main problem was an inability to hit on a QB. 

Well, most Bills fans do know. It was clear his answer wasn’t just referencing trades. . While the QB was obviously a big problem, there were many others involving draft picks, salary cap management etc. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

The dark lord may well have known and engineered it such that the one guy he knew he could beat in a crucial game, Andy Reid, would end up with Mahomes.  

One guy, lol. Anyway, nice try but it was hardly obvious and the reasons for what transpired are beyond well worn territory on the forum. 

Well, most Bills fans do know. It was clear his answer wasn’t just referencing trades. . While the QB was obviously a big problem, there were many others involving draft picks, salary cap management etc. 

The lack of a good QB was always THE problem. The Bills ran out some very talented defenses, receivers, and RBs over the years.  It's why they were never 2-14 despite bad quarterbacks. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The lack of a good QB was always THE problem. The Bills ran out some very talented defenses, receivers, and RBs over the years.  It's why they were never 2-14 despite bad quarterbacks. 

It wasn’t a successful formula. 

McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

.....speaking from experience ?

The process clock is ticking down Sean.

Edited by I am the egg man

Yup, and they backed themselves into a corner in Whaley's first year where they just had to draft one early, and it just so happened to be one of the worst years ever for QBs. They botched up the position for so long in so many different ways, obviously.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

One guy, lol. Anyway, nice try but it was hardly obvious and the reasons for what transpired are beyond well worn territory on the forum. 

Andy Reid and Sean Peyton are two of the best QB evaluators and coaches in the league, period. They wanted him. I'd trust their opinion about his talent level coming out, and the fact that both wanted him tells you all you need to know.  The fact that teams that kill QB careers for a living - Chicago and Buffalo - didn't take him tells me nothing. 

Edited by dave mcbride

35 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

That's the first clear-cut, no BS statement he's ever made and I applaud him for it.

Just because you have money in your pocket, doesn't mean you have to go out and buy a Porsche or Benz....you can hold that money to assure future signings of your own elite, uninjured, non-headcase players.

(No offense to the Versa Note owners on this board....ahem, @Gugny...ahem)

You're gonna get the Lambo, though, right? Because if not I have a problem...

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Of course you were..... since everyone knew what Mahomes was going to do, I wonder why BB didn’t give up his whole draft for the first overall pick and take Mahomes ? 

Nobody really knows what ANY of these guys will do ... but it wont stop the narrative, and try as you might?  It still reflects poorly on a teams decision making.  We heard forever how "We coulda had Gronk, we coulda had Rogers",and those misses were part of the failure narrative for years (Except to Torell Troup)  If Allen isn't the guy and Mahomes/Watson stay on their current trajectory?  You're gonna hear about it for years to come

Edited by AlCowlingsTaxiService
typo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

.....speaking from experience ?

The process clock is ticking down Sean.

Yeah, he is in real danger here...    :wallbash:

• Haha (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He didn't say anything.  If he had balls, he'd have either said, "this team was set behind years by the previous GM and HC," or said, "Brandon Beane and I have already made bad decisions and we're trying to avoid making more," or both.

But he said neither.

His wording is cryptic and weak, if you ask me.

The coaches who are open with the fans and media just don't last very long, I'm sure McDermott knows this.

Just now, Seven-N-Nine said:

The coaches who are open with the fans and media just don't last very long, I'm sure McDermott knows this.

He's done pretty well in doing his best Belichick.  This was a definite slip-up.