Josh Allen - week THREE report card

rayray808

2 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Report cards are always letters, bud.

I never got a 3 in math

I didn't like a few plays, but overall, he did enough to win. That's all that really matters...for today anyways. Those issues need to be corrected if we're ever going to compete with the big boys.

You've never heard of a 4.0 average?  Seriously? 

Junior high through senior high I ONLY got number grades. 99, 95, 90 whatever.

I thought Josh looked otherworldly at times and bone headed at others. But I'll take the outcome and the entire improving package.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

the intentional grounding was also awful.  Use the arm strength and get it past the line of scrimmage.  He also missed Zay for a TD.  So he was all over the place today.  C sounds about right.  

It was awful but arm strength or not.  he was back peddling with a guy on top of him throwing into heavy wind.

40 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

It was a great test of character.  He made some bad decisions that put the Bengals back in the game. He then drove down the field and put us ahead. This gives me more confidence than I've had in any QB since Flutie. We have something here.

Exactly, without that final drive it’s the same team we’ve been watching for years. Most NFL games are close, and not much separates good teams from bad teams. Winning these type of games is what separates teams. 

• Like (+1) 2

My 3 thoughts:

1) he needed to get the ball out of his hands sooner... many many times

2) the O-line seemed pretty weak most of the game

3) for a guy that has a cannon of an arm, I’d love to see a few more shots waaaay downfield!  Like a 70 yards in the air throw. We have not completed one bomb this year. Hope they practice more of this.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

My 3 thoughts:

3) for a guy that has a cannon of an arm, I’d love to see a few more shots waaaay downfield!  Like a 70 yards in the air throw. We have not completed one bomb this year. Hope they practice more of this.  

1) and 3) conflict though, right?  Those deeper plays take time to develop.  He seldom has that time.

43 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

My 3 thoughts:

I think if he improves on 1 then 2 looks a whole lot less worrisome. Even on some of his roll outs they had a pretty good pocket set up that collapsed after he left. His downfield passes aren't very accurate, so I think the intermediate stuff is great for now. 

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think if he improves on 1 then 2 looks a whole lot less worrisome. Even on some of his roll outs they had a pretty good pocket set up that collapsed after he left. His downfield passes aren't very accurate, so I think the intermediate stuff is great for now. 

Josh, and the offensive line, are works in progress. Sometimes Josh if forced to leave the pocket far too early. Other times Josh holds on to the ball for too long. Sometimes both of those things (and other issues) happen at the same time. The improvement each has made from last year is fairly impressive----and is continuing to improve week after week, IMO.

It hasn't been, and won't be, a straight line improvement. There have been and will be some head shaking bad plays/decisions. But so far, they've managed to win three straight games (two on the road) while working out the kinks. Hard not to be a little happy and optimistic about the way things are playing out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Today we got to see "streaky Josh" and it is my biggest fear about him. I am okay however if it is a few bad plays during a quarter, followed by a game winning drive. I just donʻt want his "lows" to last entire games.

I guess you don't know of Jimbo's "streaky" games in which he slung the ball around and had to clean up or took a loss. A gunslinger of Josh's abilities is bound to take chances, and it comes with the territory.

I present to you the ultimate crazy, where the team picks up even a veteran QB like Jimbo, from 1990:

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

He was pretty good in the first half.

If Gore doesn't score the winning TD and the Bills lose 17-14, would Josh Allen's grade change?  How much should Allen's grade change because the team was able to punch the ball in from the one after a great 4th quarter drive?  Considering the Bills got the win, C+.  Still lots of room to improve.  Arrow seems to be pointing up with him.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Josh first half:  B

Josh third quarter:  D

Josh fouth quarter:   A-

Weighted GPA of 2.65 or C+.    Yeah, that seems about right...

Consistency has always been, and remains, his bugaboo.

21 minutes ago, iinii said:

The Bills have beaten 3 teams with a combined record of 1-8 with a lot of credit to the defense. Let’s not get break out the champagne just yet. 

We can’t control who we play. Just continue to beat whoever we play. We’re on to New England tomorrow. Enjoy being 3-0 tonight ?