Josh Allen - week THREE report card

rayray808

15 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Hard to disagree...

BUT, he's still young and inexperienced. This may not be the year he leads the Bills to the promised land, but playoffs are very realistic. 

Growing pains and learning moments...those typically come with losses. Bills are 3-0 despite certain issues. If they can correct some issues and get out of their own way, watch out.

for my money , this is not the year.   weak schedule weeks 1-3.  expect to get spanked a little next week.   hope I'm wrong, but the offense gonna have some problems next week.   D will need to be huge

Just now, ProcessTruster said:

for my money , this is not the year.   weak schedule weeks 1-3.  expect to get spanked a little next week.   hope I'm wrong, but the offense gonna have some problems next week.   D will need to be huge

I don't expect any such thing. It certainly could happen; however, I don't expect it...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Yeah, but he's helping the Bills seperate themselves from the "weak" teams. Can't help who you play, just beat them. 

Bills need to be 5-3 at worst at the halfway mark to have a shot at playoffs. 6-2 is still posssible. Get in, riding high, and anything can happen, but you gotta crawl before you walk. The Bills are currently "walking" in the regular season, but have yet to crawl in January under JA.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

C

B+ 1st half

D+ 2nd half 

My worry is for the 2nd time in 3 games we saw a mistake affect Josh and scramble his head for a series or two. 

You could see how mad he was with himself and he needs to get that Brett Favre ability to just shake it off come back and play. 

Again there was lots today to be positive about for Josh. But it was a step back from his performance last week. Not helped by some awful execution around him. 

• Like (+1) 2

I looked at the replays and his good plays were many.   He was under a lot of pressure today.  The pass blocking was poor for most of the day.   Most QBs would have had trouble today. 

He made the very poor throw for the INT and that changed the momentum.  But he came back for another 4Q win.  

His last drive included several very good passes , several avoided sacks, and two very good runs.   Look at the last drive. 

I give him another B.  We won.  He wins. 

The pretty wins will come, he is 8-6 as a starter. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, the skycap said:

Is Josh having trouble recognizing the blitzes? Is his receivers not recognizing them. In the second half he was holding on to the ball too long. I noticed that the Bengals were blitzing and he wasn't taking advantage of them. I'm curious to know if it was on him or the receivers 

He seemed to struggle with the coverages generally today. Shout out to the two Cincy corners (both first rounders in their own right) I though they had very good games. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

23/36 - 243 yards - 1 TD, 1 INT - 9 carries for 46 yards

WEEK 1: B-

WEEK 2: B

WEEK 3: C+

Today we got to see "streaky Josh" and it is my biggest fear about him. I am okay however if it is a few bad plays during a quarter, followed by a game winning drive. I just donʻt want his "lows" to last entire games.

I had him at a B-, however the INT is inexcusable... especially after experiencing the intentional grounding call. That should have been the light bulb moment. Heck, even the fumble should have been a learning moment where he realizes he just needs to settle in and put the nail in the coffin.

All in all, he is still progressing along enough to prove that he can take over this franchise and lead us to greatness. Today just happened to be his worst game of the season thus far IMO.

And he also made plays now other QB can make. That escape from a sure sack and 1st down was special.

• Like (+1) 2

Week 1: D+

Week 2: A

Week 3: C-

He took too long to make decisions and throw the ball on way too many plays today, including the intentional grounding play which likely cost us three points. The INT was awful. He had another almost INT on the long throw into double coverage in the end zone and a should-have-been fumble on our 30 yard line. There were some spectacular plays mixed in as well like the sack escape that led to short throw for a first down the left sideline. Very up and down overall. Like the Jets game, we need to be able to score more than 17-21 points vs. bottom five defenses.  

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

I looked at the replays and his good plays were many.   He was under a lot of pressure today.  The pass blocking was poor for most of the day.   Most QBs would have had trouble today. 

He made the very poor throw for the INT and that changed the momentum.  But he came back for another 4Q win.  

His last drive included several very good passes , several avoided sacks, and two very good runs.   Look at the last drive. 

I give him another B.  We won.  He wins. 

The pretty wins will come, he is 8-6 as a starter. 

You're right. People should watch it again. Five minutes to go. We desperately need a TD. We had no momentum. And he just leads them right down the field. I believe all eight of our TDs have been 70+ yards. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2