Josh Allen - week THREE report card

rayray808

4 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Allen may have some issues, but its still early in his career. 

Some of his issues he's made strides in improvement, some not so much. But he's already checked off a few boxes, and one very important box is the "gamer" box. He's been more clutch at QB than we've seen in a long time.

Amen to this. He finds ways to win. Just win and everything else will fall into place. 

• Like (+1) 2

I rewatched the offensive plays on the DVR.    Josh had a clean pocket on 6 dropbacks and that was it.

Grade him anyway you want, the majority of NFL qb's would've been sacked 10 times and left the field on a stretcher.

We lost Waddle to IR, traded Teller, and now Feliciano is hurt.  We have a rookie who isn't ready to be out there playing guard and we have a serious problem right now.

1 minute ago, Da webster guy said:

I rewatched the offensive plays on the DVR.    Josh had a clean pocket on 6 dropbacks and that was it.

Grade him anyway you want, the majority of NFL qb's would've been sacked 10 times and left the field on a stretcher.

We lost Waddle to IR, traded Teller, and now Feliciano is hurt.  We have a rookie who isn't ready to be out there playing guard and we have a serious problem right now.

Ford is not ready to be out there? I disagree

I'll go with a C

The game winning drive is great and all, but we were only trailing in that game due to poor QB play. He had 2 bone headed plays that probably should have cost us the game (and would have against a better team). I'm looking at the intentional grounding that got us out of FG range and the INT (similar looking plays). 

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

1) and 3) conflict though, right?  Those deeper plays take time to develop.  He seldom has that time.

Potentially but not always.  He has really only taken 2 deep shots and both were way off the mark. Yes, time is needed and he rarely has it... but when he does, would like to see him go for them and be more accurate. 

• Like (+1) 1

Glad to see McD's blunt assesment after the game:

“You’ve got to be smart,” McDermott said. “You can’t throw the ball over the middle of the defense like that. I thought that was a play that changed the momentum of the game. Before that, their offense really hadn’t done much, and I thought our defense did well. And then that really, to me, changed the momentum of the game. In particular, turning the ball over on our side of the field. So we’ve got to learn from that and play smarter football. That’s really what I’m looking for, is to play smart.”

https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/22/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-needs-to-be-man-enough-to-learn-from-mistakes/

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Report cards are always letters, bud.

I never got a 3 in math

I didn't like a few plays, but overall, he did enough to win. That's all that really matters...for today anyways. Those issues need to be corrected if we're ever going to compete with the big boys.

Pffff. I probably put up a 3 at least once or twice in high school. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Daniel Jones 300 yard performance holds no ground... the yards after catch that his WRʻs and TEʻs got were ridiculous... Josh has yet to experience having team mates like that

Good point about the lack of YAC for the Bills.  That's what made the Knox catch & run so cool - it was one of the best YAC efforts this season with the other two being Brown's winning TD catch & run against the Jets and Beasley's big catch against the Giants.  We need more of this though.

6 hours ago, rayray808 said:

23/36 - 243 yards - 1 TD, 1 INT - 9 carries for 46 yards

WEEK 1: B-

WEEK 2: B

WEEK 3: C+

Today we got to see "streaky Josh" and it is my biggest fear about him. I am okay however if it is a few bad plays during a quarter, followed by a game winning drive. I just donʻt want his "lows" to last entire games.

I had him at a B-, however the INT is inexcusable... especially after experiencing the intentional grounding call. That should have been the light bulb moment. Heck, even the fumble should have been a learning moment where he realizes he just needs to settle in and put the nail in the coffin.

All in all, he is still progressing along enough to prove that he can take over this franchise and lead us to greatness. Today just happened to be his worst game of the season thus far IMO.

You might as well start breaking it down by half, because this disappearing act for an entire half followed by pulling it together at the very end isn't going to cut it.

On the flip side, compared to 4 turnovers in week 1, I'd say Allen deserves a higher grade than that.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

It took a botched FG attempt by TB to get that W, but whatever...

Oh please, it took the Jets missing an XP AND a FG for us to eek out a win in week 1, and it's taken the defense to play at a ridiculously high level to even stay in all 3 games... "but whatever."

Edited by BigDingus

1 hour ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I'd go with C+. At times, he flashed an "A" game but overall, it was an average outing in today's NFL... with a "+" because the team won. It's a team game, Allen doesn't get an "A" every time they win nor an "F" if they lose.

After further consideration of how bad the OL played, and giving credit for clutch play, I should have gone with B-.