Fleiciano in a neck brace

Reed83HOF

NFL trainers can handle this. Stick him head first in ice baths. Send him home with a 

5 gallon bucket of ben gay. He will back practicing by Wednesday.

Really hope this isn't serious though. Surprised Dawkins didn't sprain his neck watching 

his assignment blow past him several times yesterday.

• Haha (+1) 1

There was a noticeable change in the Bengals' D line after Feliciano went out.  Their guys seemed to get a lot better.  I think Ford is still a work in progress, and I suspect Ty wasn't 100% when he came back in, either.

We never hear Spain's name mentioned, which is a good sign he's doing his job.  

11 minutes ago, Utah John said:

There was a noticeable change in the Bengals' D line after Feliciano went out.  Their guys seemed to get a lot better.  I think Ford is still a work in progress, and I suspect Ty wasn't 100% when he came back in, either.

We never hear Spain's name mentioned, which is a good sign he's doing his job.  

Spain seemed to struggle later in the game, but I think it was because Morse was shifting over to help out with Ford and that left Spain more on an island than previously... the whole chemistry seemed disrupted when Feliciano came out.

1 minute ago, MR8 said:

Spain seemed to struggle later in the game, but I think it was because Morse was shifting over to help out with Ford and that left Spain more on an island than previously... the whole chemistry seemed disrupted when Feliciano came out.

Spain seems extremely top-heavy to me - if you get him lunging forward, he cannot recover.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Spain seems extremely top-heavy to me - if you get him lunging forward, he cannot recover.

Yeah, it helps him in leverage when he is locked up with guys, if he can keep from getting pushed down he can stack up most guys, but if they get position on him or get him in the hand fighting stage to over commit, he's never going to get his balance back. 

I think that was exposed when Morse needed to pay more attention on the right side and double team over there, rather than allowing Feliciano to man the RG spot and he could float either left or right based on the play call or protection read.

When the Center needs to automatically shift his protection to 1 side every play to make up for a bad O-linemen next to him, that's dangerous because the play call could need him elsewhere.  

7 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Yeah, it helps him in leverage when he is locked up with guys, if he can keep from getting pushed down he can stack up most guys, but if they get position on him or get him in the hand fighting stage to over commit, he's never going to get his balance back. 

I think that was exposed when Morse needed to pay more attention on the right side and double team over there, rather than allowing Feliciano to man the RG spot and he could float either left or right based on the play call or protection read.

When the Center needs to automatically shift his protection to 1 side every play to make up for a bad O-linemen next to him, that's dangerous because the play call could need him elsewhere.  

So is the narrative now that Cody Ford is a bad linemen?

Oh boy...........

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Oh boy...........

I think Ford is a rookie who is learning and will get better. I like him, but expect growing pains.

He certainly is better in run blocking than pass-pro at this stage and is better suited to manning the guard spot as he just has not developed the foot speed yet to handle the speed rush off the edge.

That being said I think Nsekhe is playing hurt as he comes out a lot and I don't think it is just a rotation thing.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Oh boy...........

No the narrative is that he hasn't played up to starting caliber when we've had other guys play better.  You want your best 5 to play, especially in the biggest regular season game of the year.  As of right now Dawkins - Spain - Morse - Feliciano - Ty is the best combination of linemen we have.

Ford is a high end prospect for OT or OG, but he's having some struggles getting up to speed.  I say you reduce the rotation to 80/20 and put your best guys out there, but don't take him out completely.  You need Ford to develop for the long term growth of this line, but you also want to win now so you can't sacrifice playing ability for growth in a year where you've started 3-0 and are taking on the freaking Pats at home! 

No where did I say Ford was bad, just that he needed more help.  Frankly Long was in there and looked just as bad as Ford.  There is a big drop off from Feliciano to Ford/Long at this time in Ford's development.  

Don't put words in my mouth, just because i'm not pretending things are all sunshine and rainbows, doesn't mean I'm bashing the kid or calling him a bust or something.

I want to win, and the best 5 guys protecting Allen is the best way to do that.  Ford at this point isn't that.

For the long haul they are rebuilding this line inside out and did a lot of work to add guys... but not all were meant to be permanent.  Morse has been fantastic, they got Ty who's been VERY good, and they got Feliciano who was hurt but before he got hurt he was playing very well. Spain has been disappointing in spots and good in spots... but he's still about average for an OG in this league. Dawkins has been sub-par, and Ford has been sub-par. Ford should sit if Feliciano can play and ty can play. Dawkins is a necessary evil because they thought he'd take a step forward and IMHO he hasn't.

But end of the day they are MUCH better than last year, and they are better than the 3 lines we've played and they're better than the guys the Pats are rolling out.

It's very hard to build a line in this league, good linemen are almost as hard to find as good QBs... there are just more of them coming into the league every year. I think they did a good job adding guys who are NFL starting caliber, but if you want stand out OGs and OTs, they just aren't on the open market cause teams keep them.

Thats why the Bills also signed the guys they signed to short "prove it" deals. So if they aren't that great, we can get out from under those deals and move on, either in FA in 2020 or int he draft in 2020, or both.

I expect them to address O-Line again in a big way next year. They did a nice job patching it, but they need long term pieces, and that comes via the draft unless you want to WAY over spend like we were forced to with Morse. IMHO we'll go OG/OT in the first 3 rounds next year. It depends how Ford and Dawkins play out the season for where they'll go. Ford was supposed to lock down the outside with Dawkins. If he can't but can be an OG, they'll go OT again. If Ford can play OT, they'll look OG, but hopefully also consider upgrading Dawkins.

It'a REALLY hard to build a line, and this one is light years better than last year, and still top 20 in the NFL. The best ones are REALLY good, but the rest are a lot like ours... patchwork.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Oh boy...........

he’s been bad this season but 3 games doesn’t define the rest of his career. quite frankly, he isn’t 1 of the 5 best lineman who should be starting.

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

he’s been bad this season but 3 games doesn’t define the rest of his career. quite frankly, he isn’t 1 of the 5 best lineman who should be starting.

I will concede that he has work to do as a RT

He has NOT looked bad as a RG....I wish they would just put him at a position this year and leave him there.....

15 minutes ago, MR8 said:

<snip>

It's very hard to build a line in this league, good linemen are almost as hard to find as good QBs... there are just more of them coming into the league every year. I think they did a good job adding guys who are NFL starting caliber, but if you want stand out OGs and OTs, they just aren't on the open market cause teams keep them.

Thats why the Bills also signed the guys they signed to short "prove it" deals. So if they aren't that great, we can get out from under those deals and move on, either in FA in 2020 or int he draft in 2020, or both.

I expect them to address O-Line again in a big way next year. They did a nice job patching it, but they need long term pieces, and that comes via the draft unless you want to WAY over spend like we were forced to with Morse. IMHO we'll go OG/OT in the first 3 rounds next year. It depends how Ford and Dawkins play out the season for where they'll go. Ford was supposed to lock down the outside with Dawkins. If he can't but can be an OG, they'll go OT again. If Ford can play OT, they'll look OG, but hopefully also consider upgrading Dawkins.

It'a REALLY hard to build a line, and this one is light years better than last year, and still top 20 in the NFL. The best ones are REALLY good, but the rest are a lot like ours... patchwork.

Just a clarification, are you saying we don't address any other position in rounds 1-3?
A this juncture I still think a WR in rounds 1-3 is a priority,

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Uncle Joe said:

Just a clarification, are you saying we don't address any other position in rounds 1-3?
A this juncture I still think a WR in rounds 1-3 is a priority,

No just that in round 1 2 or 3 we;ll look for another starter for the O-Line like we did with Ford.  I'm not saying all 3 picks will be O-Line, I should've been more clear.

4 minutes ago, MR8 said:

No just that in round 1 2 or 3 we;ll look for another starter for the O-Line like we did with Ford.  I'm not saying all 3 picks will be O-Line, I should've been more clear.

Will probably need a DL, doubt we resign Shaq. He's gonna get a nice contract from someone.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, billspro said:

The oline was brutal without him. Hopefully he is okay. 

the line was brutal because of ford getting schooled by dunlap. if he stays at rt, he will be the focal point for defenses.  i'd rather not see him have to spend his rookie year getting beat up out there. he's fine at rg. hopefully nseke is a go.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Will probably need a DL, doubt we resign Shaq. He's gonna get a nice contract from someone.

Yeah I think our #1 need this upcoming off-season is pass rush DE.  Whether they go out and pay for one or they draft one in the 1st, I think they know they need it badly.  They kicked the tires on Trey Flowers in FA, and they were in the Clowney sweepstakes from a lot of accounts... I think they know what they need, and they will address it, but not over-pay for it. 

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I will concede that he has work to do as a RT

He has NOT looked bad as a RG....I wish they would just put him at a position this year and leave him there.....

the problem (if you can even call it that) is Feliciano has been playing really well so you can’t justify replacing him with Ford at this point. he looks to be the odd man out for now.

4 hours ago, Best Player Available said:

NFL trainers can handle this. Stick him head first in ice baths. Send him home with a 

5 gallon bucket of ben gay. He will back practicing by Wednesday.

Really hope this isn't serious though. Surprised Dawkins didn't sprain his neck watching 

his assignment blow past him several times yesterday.

i'm all for drafting a tackle high.  i'm not sure if dion is gonna shake out to be worth a high money Lt contract.

11 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

As per Chris Brown's practice report on One Bills Live, Feliciano was at practice today, though he wore a non-contact red jersey.  Singletary was also at practice.  I don't know how much they actually did.

Robert Foster was added to the injury list with a hammy, although he was "limited" and not out.

EDIT: And when I say hammy I mean groiny.

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Haha (+1) 1