Time for Kaepernick to officially retire from NFL?

prissythecat

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

But you keep making these comments that have no thruth whatsoever. I mean I could just make stuff up and say hey I already broke it down. He was given the option to opt out or get cut NOT he simply opted out of his contract. He did NOT settle for $60,000,000 - $80,000,000, his and Eric Reid's settlement is said to be less than $10,000,000. Where are you getting all this bad info?

I have no idea what thruth is whatsoever. The info was reported. See:

https://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/colin-kaepernick-eric-reid-and-nfl-settle-collusion-case/

Let them cut you then if that is the case. Or is that just what he said? He was also given the option of being traded to Denver because Elway WANTED him at the time. When he declined to renegotiate his contract Elway took that bridge as burned. Some of you are ridiculous in the lengths you go to try and paint other people as certain things. Martyrs, bigots,  or otherwise. Just let it go. 

Lets clear some things up:

He is NOT asking for $20M, a poster here made a joke and some of you took it seriously.  

He IS willing to come in as a backup and his agent is working on that.

He SHOULD be in the NFL...he stood up for people he felt needed it, and did it peacefully, and has given more money to charity than many posters here will make in a lifetime PRIOR to the kneeling.  

He was and is a MODEL citizen off the field for his community and various charities and movements.  

Nobody cares any more about the kneeling, he isn't going to continue to kneel, him being on a team will be a NON story within a week or two of him arriving to the team.  The only reason anyone cared back then as much as they did, was because Trump used it as a platform to try and get a boost and even told Jerry Jones this very thing and that it was the only thing at that time that gave him a boost.  Trump literally does not even know the words to the National Anthem.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I would suggest most team revenue streams come from sources beyond their own fanbase.  At least in a market like Buffalo.

Maybe that's wrong.  How much revenue has AB cost Oakland?  How much will he cost NE?  

The NFL is an invincible marketing machine that can't be broken right now, and the owners have more money than they can spend or lose in a lifetime.

But we can agree to disagree.  

I'm talking about revenue lost from decreased viewers and people turning away from the NFL.  The NFL was discussed as hurting and saw decreased ratings during the peak of the kneeling period.  Probably can't claim this was the exact cause, but it's definitely on their mind as a risk.

Just now, the skycap said:

A bigger distraction than AB??

My opinion is that Kaep would be a bigger distraction than AB.  But in discussing the matter further on this board, I think there's a monetary risk that owners aren't willing to take after they saw decreased viewership/ratings when he was previously the focal point of the league.

He needs to go to the CFL or XFL to prove he's still got it. 

He's delusional to 1) think an NFL team is going to expend a useful player slot on a guy who hasn't played a single down of professional football anywhere in years and 2) get paid anything above vet minimum because of #1.  

wait, how can you retire from something you're not apart of?

or is it:  should he retire from having his agent hound various NFL teams for an opportunity then blasting it out to the media?

i'd love to say: I'm going to retire as CEO of Amazon but it's meaningless because i'm not the CEO nor do i work for them.

anyway, this thread is like ***** with sandpaper, curiously enticing but destructive regardless of the outcome.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I'm talking about revenue lost from decreased viewers and people turning away from the NFL.  The NFL was discussed as hurting and saw decreased ratings during the peak of the kneeling period.  Probably can't claim this was the exact cause, but it's definitely on their mind as a risk.

My opinion is that Kaep would be a bigger distraction than AB.  But in discussing the matter further on this board, I think there's a monetary risk that owners aren't willing to take after they saw decreased viewership/ratings when he was previously the focal point of the league.

Huh?  Panthers signed Eric Reid and it has not been a distraction and he Sued the NFL with Kap.  And Eric Reid is STILL kneeling.  Sorry, this just isnt accurate.  Again, nobody cares anymore...the only reason it got as big as it did is because Trump relentlessly trolled this issue for his own personal boost at the time.  Trump does not even know the words to the National Anthem, literally, and only dwelled on it because Trump said it was the only thing he got a boost from at that time.  

Trump isn't tweeting about it anymore and now no one cares that the guy who sued the NFL with Kap is signed, playing, and still kneeling for the Panthers.  

The outrage was stupid when it happened, it was manufactured and manipulated to mean something it wasn't for political reasons, and now its back to no one even cares.  If anyone here still was so outraged by it, then they should be ranting and raving about Reid not Kap.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Nobody would be appalled? That statement right there shows you are out of touch with reality. Did you see the reaction to his Nike commercial? How may people decided to burn their NIKE merchandise and call for a boycott? It was the BLACK DOLLAR that made that marketing campaign a success. 

You are the exact type that I refer to in my posts about Kaep. The ones who rather take blue pill over the red pill so you can live life comfortably in blissful ignorance.

Let me be more clear for you: no genuine football fan would be appalled.

The loudest dumbasses on both side of this issue...the snowflake SJWs and righteous righties...are not true fans of the game or they would at least STFU while the games are on.

But no. We suddenly need to start every game early to scan a camera to see what players are standing or kneeling. You think the fans want that crap?

No. Two kinds of people want that crap: people who need to whine about white America and people who hate people who always whine about white America.

Get out of your bubble, brother. Turn off the news and people with megaphones and you'll quickly see how very little most people care about Kaep.

Oh, and you may want to keep that whole BLACK DOLLAR crap to yourself.  You'll never be able to get past any of this until you stop basing everything on skin color.

Try judging  on character. Just a thought.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Say When... said:

wait, how can you retire from something you're not apart of?

or is it:  should he retire from having his agent hound various NFL teams for an opportunity then blasting it out to the media?

i'd love to say: I'm going to retire as CEO of Amazon but it's meaningless because i'm not the CEO nor do i work for them.

anyway, this thread is like ***** with sandpaper, curiously enticing but destructive regardless of the outcome.

Of course Kap is still part of the NFL .  He can even get a pension as he has met the minimum service requirement...  The only thing he needs to do to get his pension is retire :p

44 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It has nothing to do with "causing a distraction" which is what the teams would like you to believe.

How about AB in Oakland and now NE?  Is he causing a distraction?

It's about the members of one of the most elite clubs in the world colluding to send a message.  Not to Kaepernick, but to any other future player who thinks he is bigger than the game.

Message is heard loud and clear: "Tow the line or it will cost you your playing career."

They are all willing to adopt this strategy because Kaepernick is not elite enough for any of them to break the agreement and sign him.

They would all be doing it with AB too, if he wasn't as elite as he is! 

AB doesn’t have a super woke GF to report to like Kaep.       Life’s not fair.     I’m only on tv employed as a DJ ! 

1 hour ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

I don't believe the NFL is 'blackballing' him. That would be all the owners got together and with the approval of the NFL offices voted/agreed no one would hire him, opening them up to a massive civil suit. The fact that Kaepernick and I forget the other player, took a small settlement to withdraw their collusion (or blackball) claim means they knew there was no real evidence to back it up. The settlement was chump change to the NFL, who likely only paid it get rid of the bad PR.

I  believe there are a few, if not more, team owners who would sign him, but ultimately don't want to deal with a possible backlash from their fan base and the headache that would result. That's not blackballing, but a reasonable business decision.

Honestly though, Miami should sign him. They are already a dumpster fire with low fan support and the headache from bad press couldn't get much worse. Plus they have a bonafides to justify this with their minority ownership group that includes Gloria Estefan and Serena Williams. They could spin this as a 2nd chance for Kaep, give some attention to the social justice angle in positive way, and create some buzz to distract from how bad the team is.

Won't happen, isn't the majority owner of the Dolphins one of Trumps big supporters? Last thing the majority of the wealthy old white guy club that is the NFL owners group wants is to piss off their best buddy and risk losing tax breaks........

Can risk angering the trailer trash seeing a mixed race man take a knee during a song that they are proudly standing for while waiting in the beer line or taking a leak at the urinal.......

• Like (+1) 1

(sniff sniff)...these Kaep threads never smell....fresh anymore.

Anyway, the reason Kaep was sitting during the anthem the first time is because he was moping over being the backup QB to Blane Gabbert.  In fact, his agents had requested a trade as soon as Chip Kelly became coach and indicated there would be a QB competition.  By preseason, he was seen sitting during the anthem.

He had sat unnoticed before that 3rd preseason game, when a picture of him sitting went viral.  Suddenly, he told us he was protesting by sitting.  Prior to that, the was no indication that he had any protest in mind.  In fact, several  infamous killings of black men by cops (and others) had already occurred without a word of protest by Kaepernick (he was a starting QB at that time): Travon Martin 2012, Eric Garner 2014, Micahel Brown 2014, Tamir Rice 2014, Freddie Brown 2015.  It would be another year before a very unhappy  Kaep told the world he was now a high profile protester and that time he was caught sitting WAS his protest.

I'm sure he is earnest in his words and thoughts since regarding the focus of the protests, but i'm not convinced he was protesting at all when they took his picture sitting there---simply because he never did any of that when kids were being killed---while he was the starting QB of the 49ers.  I credit him for quick thinking and turning this around to his advantage (sort of). 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

Led his team to the playoffs twice, one time to the Super Bowl and almost won.

I stand by my words.. We've seen plenty of "lesser" QB's win SB's. Kap was definitely not good enough for him to overcome media circus he brings and propel him back into a NFL lineup 

20 minutes ago, dpberr said:

He needs to go to the CFL or XFL to prove he's still got it. 

He's delusional to 1) think an NFL team is going to expend a useful player slot on a guy who hasn't played a single down of professional football anywhere in years and 2) get paid anything above vet minimum because of #1.  

Yet Josh Johnson hadn't played a single down in 7 years and an NFL team used a player slot for him last season.

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

I stand by my words.. We've seen plenty of "lesser" QB's win SB's. Kap was definitely not good enough for him to overcome media circus he brings and propel him back into a NFL lineup 

Maybe not, but it's ridiculous to discount his success, just because you don't like him. Kelly sucked in the Super Bowls, abused women, did drugs and people in buffalo will kiss his butt any chance they have.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OutOfBubbleGum said:

He can only blame himself. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he opt out of his contract in SF back in 2016? There ya go.

And was then offered a contract by Denver that he turned down, and now continues to play his "poor me" sob story.

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

His agent says he would sign on as a backup, which would assume he would sign for backup pay as well. I agree that he probably won't get any offers,  but no need to make up crap about him. If only he abused his GF... he'd have been reinstated a couple years ago.

If you're going to make a point, at least attempt to be accurate, you asked me for proof.

Actually he asked you for info not for an attitude. He simply stated he has never seen that and asked you if you could support your statement with a link. A link is normally not too much to ask. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Maybe not, but it's ridiculous to discount his success, just because you don't like him. Kelly sucked in the Super Bowls, abused women, did drugs and people in buffalo will kiss his butt any chance they have.

Kelly was 100 times the QB Kap wished he was... Tough MF....  You are really grasping at straws bringing Kelly into this debate

I have no issues with Kap and his protests. I support that. I just don't think he is good enough to overcome the media circus. therefore he is not good enough.

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Kelly was 100 times the QB Kap wished he was... Tough MF....  You are really grasping at straws bringing Kelly into this debate

I have no issues with Kap and his protests. I support that. I just don't think he is good enough to overcome the media circus. therefore he is not good enough.

My point is , if you like someone, they could get away with just about anything. Look at Ray Lewis, probably a better example. Obstructed a murder investigation, after he retires, gets a job on an TV network doing NFL games.

2 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Don't agree with pretty much anything he says/does, but he should be playing. He has (or maybe had) the skillset to at least be a quality backup. So many QB-hungry teams out there. 

No, he doesn't. Look at his actual games especially in his last season. Completion% absolutely garbage and as the season went on he got worse until he was benched. 

You know why he was benched? B.c teams figured out his limited abilities and after that you are done.

Edited by Boca BIlls

12 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Actually he asked you for info not for an attitude. He simply stated he has never seen that and asked you if you could support your statement with a link. A link is normally not too much to ask. 

I know, I gave him the link. I was saying that before he made his comment, he should have checked his facts. His statement, while accurate, was misleading. I didn't mind sending the link.

16 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

And was then offered a contract by Denver that he turned down, and now continues to play his "poor me" sob story.

He was not offered a contract by Denver, he had a contract already, Denver didn't want to honor that deal, so the trade with SF never occurred.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6145985-john-elway-didn-t-quite-tell-the-entire-truth-about-colin-kaepernick-contract-offer

Just now, klos63 said:

My point is , if you like someone, they could get away with just about anything. Look at Ray Lewis, probably a better example. Obstructed a murder investigation, after he retires, gets a job on an TV network doing NFL games.

Well I agree that some of these other players should have never been re-instated let alone signed by another team. However, Ray Lewis was off the charts HOF good which is why Ravens looked the other way.  However Ray Lewis involvement was minimal. He caused himself more issue trying to keep his name out of the paper

Unfortunately for Kap he is political and his political theatre attracts unwanted attention. I just don't think teams want to deal with an outspoken average at best QB.

I agree a felon should be forever banned from the NFL. However I do agree in 2nd chances... Kap unfortunately deserves a 2nd chance he just is not going to get it based on the premise that he just is not good enough to over come the baggage that comes with him

50 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He is NOT asking for $20M, a poster here made a joke and some of you took it seriously.  

He SHOULD be in the NFL...he stood up for people he felt needed it, and did it peacefully, and has given more money to charity than many posters here will make in a lifetime PRIOR to the kneeling.  

He was and is a MODEL citizen off the field for his community and various charities and movements.  

Nobody cares any more about the kneeling, he isn't going to continue to kneel, him being on a team will be a NON story within a week or two of him arriving to the team.  The only reason anyone cared back then as much as they did, was because Trump used it as a platform to try and get a boost and even told Jerry Jones this very thing and that it was the only thing at that time that gave him a boost.  Trump literally does not even know the words to the National Anthem.  

Take your political/social views out of the equation and look at it from a purely employment based standpoint, and it's hard to make an argument why this guy should be in the league.

There are plenty of people who have the ability to perform jobs that are passed over or let go because other factors make them undesirable.

Regardless of the merits of his protest, or lack thereof, he put his personal politics above the interests of his employer WHILE HE WAS AT WORK. 

It's not like he went on TV and said these things as Colin Kaepernick the citizen who happens to also be the 49ers QB. He went on the field IN UNIFORM and did this as the QB of the 49ers.

When you do that, losing your job is standard procedure in any industry.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

You don't see anything wrong with this man being blackballed after breaking NO LAWS and cause ZERO DISCORD in his locker room? There were NO reports of any issues amongst his teammates with this. 

If Kaep was kneeling to bring more attention to some rare form of Cancer would all the patriotic Americans be so upset? Or was it the issue he was bringing attention to? The one that makes white america very uncomfortable?

I wish some of you people would have the balls to stand up and admit the REAL reason you are haoopy Kaep isn't playing and why you don't want him to play. Admit why you feel joy inside watching the blackballing play out as to be a message to the rest of the players to stay in your place. You can beat women, assault peopl, drink and drive, get caught with drugs etc etc but DONT EVER "disrespect" our country trying to bring attention to any of your imaginary injustices. You better make the political statement of STANDING for the flag like  good boy instead of exercising Freedoms THAT DONT VIOLATE ANY LAWS OR RULES and kneeling.

HAVE SOME COURAGE!

Stop hiding behind the "using employers time to protest" BS cause if it was for ANIMAL RIGHTS then Kaep would still be in the league. But it was or BLACK RIGHTS and so now he is BLACK BALLED.

:lol:

Sorry, but no, I do not care at all. I have ZERO empathy whatsoever. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

https://youtu.be/f_lRg8MsB0k

14 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Take your political/social views out of the equation and look at it from a purely employment based standpoint, and it's hard to make an argument why this guy should be in the league.

There are plenty of people who have the ability to perform jobs that are passed over or let go because other factors make them undesirable.

Regardless of the merits of his protest, or lack thereof, he put his personal politics above the interests of his employer WHILE HE WAS AT WORK. 

It's not like he went on TV and said these things as Colin Kaepernick the citizen who happens to also be the 49ers QB. He went on the field IN UNIFORM and did this as the QB of the 49ers.

When you do that, losing your job is standard procedure in any industry.

See Reid, Eric.  

Kneeled with Kap.  Sued NFL with Kap.  Currently employed.  Still Kneeling.  

Kap should be in the NFL and no one cares about the kneeling anymore and he will be a non story within a week of signing just like Reid was.  

He's pry one of the best 64 QB's in the NFL, but carries too much baggage.  Any complaints of being blacklisted lost merit once he settled the law suit.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

See Reid, Eric.  

Kap should be in the NFL and no one cares about the kneeling anymore and he will be a non story within a week of signing just like Reid was.  

Reid is more talented at his position and wasn't the "face" of the movement.

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

See Reid, Eric.  

That really supports my point. Kaepernick spearheaded a PR nightmare for his employer as the face of the franchise. Eric Reid is just a useful idiot that no one knows or cares about, who jumped on the bandwagon. If Reid carried the same baggage with the same visibility he'd be out of the league too. If he were a backup he'd probably be gone already.

Point is, Kaep's not out for his views. He's out because he's a net negative to any organization that would sign him.

Edited by Rob's House

So Kap couldnt keep his starting gig in 2015 or 2016. Granted he went on IR is 2015 but Gabbert was already playing by then. I was at the Bills/49ers game when the Bills blew them out. Kap couldnt do much of anything but run. Kap opted out of his contract because he wanted to go somewhere else to start. No takers. Broncos and Ravens both considered signing him but Kap ruined those two situations. Why would any team bring him on? 

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

See Reid, Eric.  

Eric Reid is good... Kap isnt good. You can get plenty of bad QBs for cheaper contracts and less distractions. Which is why he doesn't have a job.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Eric Reid is good... Kap isnt good. You can get plenty of bad QBs for cheaper contracts and less distractions. Which is why he doesn't have a job.

This is what the intersectionals don't get.

If the guy could play, he'd be playing.

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

You don't see anything wrong with this man being blackballed after breaking NO LAWS and cause ZERO DISCORD in his locker room? There were NO reports of any issues amongst his teammates with this. 

If Kaep was kneeling to bring more attention to some rare form of Cancer would all the patriotic Americans be so upset? Or was it the issue he was bringing attention to? The one that makes white america very uncomfortable?

I wish some of you people would have the balls to stand up and admit the REAL reason you are haoopy Kaep isn't playing and why you don't want him to play. Admit why you feel joy inside watching the blackballing play out as to be a message to the rest of the players to stay in your place. You can beat women, assault peopl, drink and drive, get caught with drugs etc etc but DONT EVER "disrespect" our country trying to bring attention to any of your imaginary injustices. You better make the political statement of STANDING for the flag like  good boy instead of exercising Freedoms THAT DONT VIOLATE ANY LAWS OR RULES and kneeling.

HAVE SOME COURAGE!

Stop hiding behind the "using employers time to protest" BS cause if it was for ANIMAL RIGHTS then Kaep would still be in the league. But it was or BLACK RIGHTS and so now he is BLACK BALLED.

WOW, you have a lot of orders, so you DEMAND that ADMIT the real reason, you sure are a smart fella, you can read their minds from a post.  

And as for stop hiding behind employer time BS comment.    If you owned a restaurant and the server greeted each customer by saying MAGA and Vote Trump what would you do to said employee?  Would you let it go on?  Yes or no.

I for one want Kapeerneick to get on the field again so we can hear people stop whining about him not playing.

42 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

See Reid, Eric.  

This post is spot on. although I dont think he is good enough anymore to be in the NFL but give him a shot some team so people can stop crying about him.