Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

14 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

If you think Mario was worth his contract, then I'm not sure what to say.  Mario was good, but didn't live up to $100M.  Clowney is an excellent pass rusher, I won't doubt that, but he too will not be worth his contract.  My thought is instead of setting a more aggressive defensive scheme, we're throwing money at the problem and asking (any DE) to win 1-1 battles with the tackle.

Because you have to get pressure with 4. That is the league now. The teams relying on heavy doses of blitzing are not producing great defenses. Carolina are the case in point. For years under McDermott they had low blitz %s were disciplined 4-3, cover 3 defenses and were consistently a top 10 defense. Steve Wilks turned them into a more heavy blitzing defense two years ago and then last year under Eric Washington they blitzed even more and were a significantly worse defense. At the same time Wilks had the Cardinals defense blitzing more than any in the league on their way to the worst record in the NFL. 

If you want to win in the modern NFL you need guys up front who can win 1 on 1 because if you are relying on the blitz to win you are toast. As Rex found out when he was here teams adjust - they spread you out and the ball comes out too quick for the blitzer to get there more often than not. 

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that realistically, at this point, the Bills would be looking at something like Shaq, Shady & a 2nd. Im not sure that’s enough but that would be my offer. Shaq and Shady will help the Texans this year and they can make a decision in the offseason on them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they offered Shaq a contract sooner. The Bills would be finishing off their defense which SHOULD remain near the top of the league. 

The only way that this happens though is if Clowney’s agent and the Bills have the framework of a deal in place for the offseason. Seeing as Gaine should know EXACTLY what Clowney wants I’d be comfortable with it.

It still scares me giving up a high pick for a guy who you cannot sign until after the season. You can have all the frameworks and the gentleman's agreements in the world. They mean squat. 

I love Clowney. I think he is underrated by a lot of casual fans. But a 2nd round pick for a possible one year rental is steep for me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I was furious. The argument against hiring Schwartz was that he had failed in his stint in Detroit. Meh. It's the Lions organization. Who HAS succeeded there? And then there was the fact that the guy we hired had some early success and completely fell on his face in his last couple years in NY. Did not compute.

I'm surprised Schwartz hasn't gotten so much as an interview. I think he's viewed around the league as a DC and not HC material. You'd think someone would give him a shot to dispel that with all the retreads who've gotten second chances.

It's all about young and handsome now.

Sadly, I will not be considered.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

I don't see how they could ask for a 1. Mack is a generational player, Clowney is just a good player.

I honestly don't think there is that big of a difference. The fact it is a rental means nobody is giving a 1. But talent wise he is worth it in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I honestly don't think there is that big of a difference. The fact it is a rental means nobody is giving a 1. But talent wise he is worth it in my opinion. 

The Texans can ask for anything they want. But they will get what other teams will offer. If someone was willing to give up a 1 for Clownery it would have happened by now.

The Bills have a surplus at RB and WR. McCoy and Zay has to look attractive to Houston. Maybe Shaq to close a deal but no high picks. As we can see the Bills are building through the draft. Beane is not letting those go.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

38 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I would do that.

I'll drive.

26 minutes ago, Bills of Boston said:

Once he signs franchise tender w Houston, a trade can then be made.  So essentially once they have a deal worked out and he likes new team, he signs and trade goes through.  It’s a roundabout built in no trade clause as he can refuse to sign if he doesn’t like where he’s going. 

Finally - something from Boston I can truly admire. :beer:

• Haha (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because you have to get pressure with 4. That is the league now. The teams relying on heavy doses of blitzing are not producing great defenses. Carolina are the case in point. For years under McDermott they had low blitz %s were disciplined 4-3, cover 3 defenses and were consistently a top 10 defense. Steve Wilks turned them into a more heavy blitzing defense two years ago and then last year under Eric Washington they blitzed even more and were a significantly worse defense. At the same time Wilks had the Cardinals defense blitzing more than any in the league on their way to the worst record in the NFL. 

If you want to win in the modern NFL you need guys up front who can win 1 on 1 because if you are relying on the blitz to win you are toast. As Rex found out when he was here teams adjust - they spread you out and the ball comes out too quick for the blitzer to get there more often than not. 

It still scares me giving up a high pick for a guy who you cannot sign until after the season. You can have all the frameworks and the gentleman's agreements in the world. They mean squat. 

I love Clowney. I think he is underrated by a lot of casual fans. But a 2nd round pick for a possible one year rental is steep for me. 

It’s certainly risky. You’d have to be confident in the player and the person. If he walks you’d get a comp pick the following year I think. If there are multiple teams involved you’ll have to pay the price. I honestly think there are going to be better options than what we are bringing to the table (ie Tunsil). With that being said, supposedly, Gaine wanted an extension and O’Brien didn’t. I’d think that the Bills would have a lot of trust from Clowney and his people.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s certainly risky. You’d have to be confident in the player and the person. If he walks you’d get a comp pick the following year I think. If there are multiple teams involved you’ll have to pay the price. I honestly think there are going to be better options than what we are bringing to the table (ie Tunsil). With that being said, supposedly, Gaine wanted an extension and O’Brien didn’t. I’d think that the Bills would have a lot of trust from Clowney and his people.

Tunsil is a starting LT and a pretty good one. if the dolphins know they are gonna tank for a qb would they give up a young stud LT? The texans have no leverage he won't play for them under the tag so the offers they are getting, are probably not much better then zay shady and a pick 

11 minutes ago, TheJauronClap said:

Tunsil is a starting LT and a pretty good one. if the dolphins know they are gonna tank for a qb would they give up a young stud LT? The texans have no leverage he won't play for them under the tag so the offers they are getting, are probably not much better then zay shady and a pick 

I have no idea why they’d trade Tunsil. Those rumors have been pretty widely reported though. It may be overblown but usually when there’s smoke there’s fire. That doesn’t mean that he will he moves but his name has surfaced.

Maybe I’m wrong, but feel like the offer will be a lot more than what people here are speculating. If not, he probably signs the tender and plays out the season in Houston as a Super Bowl contender. They let him walk in the offseason and get that 3rd round comp pick. They aren’t just going to give him away.

1 hour ago, Bills of Boston said:

Once he signs franchise tender w Houston, a trade can then be made.  So essentially once they have a deal worked out and he likes new team, he signs and trade goes through.  It’s a roundabout built in no trade clause as he can refuse to sign if he doesn’t like where he’s going. 

...and I believe he has until week 10 to sign or sit out 2019.....just like Baby Bell.....

2 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

We all know they would ask the world of the Bills....

If they want a WR, Zay is the only WR I think they’d accept.

Shaq would probably have to be part of that deal and a draft pick, rd 2 would be my guess.

Too high of a pick without any guarantee Clowney would be here after next year.  A 3rd is the highest I go.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have no idea why they’d trade Tunsil. Those rumors have been pretty widely reported though. It may be overblown but usually when there’s smoke there’s fire. That doesn’t mean that he will he moves but his name has surfaced.

Maybe I’m wrong, but feel like the offer will be a lot more than what people here are speculating. If not, he probably signs the tender and plays out the season in Houston as a Super Bowl contender. They let him walk in the offseason and get that 3rd round comp pick. They aren’t just going to give him away.

The bell situation is how GMs are seeing this. They will give there best offers to a team with no leverage and if the texans say no they could lose clowney for nothing in free agency next year 

Who the heck would want Zay Jones? Any expansion teams on the horizon? Jones is already playing with fire in Buffalo. Do the Texans want another head ache.

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

A week ago I would have said the Texans would not accept this in a million years- today they likely are considering it. Though I expect someone to be offering 

Edited by Rocket94

33 minutes ago, TheJauronClap said:

The bell situation is how GMs are seeing this. They will give there best offers to a team with no leverage and if the texans say no they could lose clowney for nothing in free agency next year 

Not for nothing, because a 3rd round comp pick will come the following year I believe. That’s why they won’t take a trash offer.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Are you prepared for Beane to pay Clowney 100+ million, only to watch his effort gradually decrease, as the season progresses?

Clowney has a known history of playing better down the stretch/in big games. Feel free to disagree about his value, but don’t make stuff up. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Are you prepared for Beane to pay Clowney 100+ million, only to watch his effort gradually decrease, as the season progresses?

People on this board are funny every year we need to make moves we need to trade get talent in here spend money . Then we are in reports about clowney and its flips wtf are we doing he wont live up to the contract clean house we are over 

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and is he worthy of a 3rd?..........

3x pro bowler 53 TFL last 3 seasons. 59 qb hits last 3 seasons showing he can get to the qb nah id say 7rd or a 6th if you're desperate 

Edited by TheJauronClap
  • Like (+1) 2

The Bills have have an up and coming defense and Clowney's addition would be dynamic. If anything, his play would escalate and he would elevate the play of everyone around him. There would be no where for him to hide. His presence increases our chances of defeating the Patriots...

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TheJauronClap said:

People on this board are funny every year we need to make moves we need to trade get talent in here spend money . Then we are in reports about clowney and its flips wtf are we doing he wont live up to the contract clean house we are over 

3x pro bowler 53 TFL last 3 seasons. 59 qb hits last 3 seasons showing he can get to the qb nah id say 7rd or a 6th if you're desperate 

...wonder what O'Brien's rub is though with the guy?........any ideas?.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Zay, Shady and a 3.

Make it happen.

This trade wouldn't have made sense 2 days ago, but post Lamar Miller injury... yes

Shady's contract is huge, but he is a one year rental - which they need

Zay fills the WR void

3rd round pick for someone who could walk away? take it

Now from our end we lose our starting RB but we have others to make up for it. Zay was climbing down the depth chart, but he still had potential to do great things, so we will never be able to see his true potential. 3rd round pick? High, but at least we keep our 1 and 2. But...

We add Clowney to our already potent defense. These type of additions will literally make us the Chicago Bears of the AFC.

My vote: TRADE 

6 minutes ago, wppete said:

What about Zay, Shaq and Shady straight up

for Clowney? 

I think I would also do that. 

I’d do it.  

Shaq isnt getting resigned if we bring in Clowney.  (He does look like he’s starting to live up to his draft position though)

Zay is on the ropes here if you believe in snap counts and coach speak.  

Shady would hurt to lose, but if that’s what it takes, I’d be on board. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...wonder what O'Brien's rub is though with the guy?........any ideas?.......

There are always reports players dont like coaches or vice versa. Players see the effects of football short and long term now and want the guaranteed money 

3 minutes ago, TheJauronClap said:

There are always reports players dont like coaches or vice versa. Players see the effects of football short and long term now and want the guaranteed money 

..good call.....it's O'Brien's way or no way.......after all he was signing GM Gaines paycheck, right??.........

3 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

It's all about young and handsome now.

Sadly, I will not be considered.

Man, if this is the case, then we can definitely stop with the unjustified concerns about Brian Daboll getting a HC gig.

42 minutes ago, TheJauronClap said:

37 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..good call.....it's O'Brien's way or no way.......after all he was signing GM Gaines paycheck, right??.........

I didnt mention O'Brien or Ganies name? You just Skip Bayless that and made a phantom point hoping it would stick. If anything you can take from what i said is players have the power and its showing M Gordon,Clowney, Zeke,Trent Williams, mack and bell last year 

2 minutes ago, TheJauronClap said:

I didnt mention O'Brien or Ganies name? You just Skip Bayless that and made a phantom point hoping it would stick. If anything you can take from what i said is players have the power and its showing M Gordon,Clowney, Zeke,Trent Williams, mack and bell last year 

huh?.....did not imply who you were thinking period...those were MY thoughts as far as O'Brien's apparent power............