Is there anything you own you really like that’s not made anymore?

Another Fan

I was driving yesterday and saw a nice Pontiac Grand Am on the road.  If I had the time and money a car like that I wouldn’t mind owning to have and work on as it’s practically a collectors item already.  

I have a Hess truck from the early 90s my grandfather bought me as a XMas gift.  

Edited by Another Fan

A few years ago, my parents gave me an old ice box from the early 1900s (Steinfeld - Jewel).  They had one and I loved it.  They found one whilst out on one of their weekly excursions and my dad refinished it and surprised me with it.

For giggles, I actually bought a block of ice and threw some beer in there for a party.  Worked like a charm!

Looks a lot like this one ...

Image result for steinfeld jewel new york ice box

• Like (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, Gugny said:

A few years ago, my parents gave me an old ice box from the early 1900s (Steinfeld - Jewel).  They had one and I loved it.  They found one whilst out on one of their weekly excursions and my dad refinished it and surprised me with it.

For giggles, I actually bought a block of ice and threw some beer in there for a party.  Worked like a charm!

I'm more curious about the block of ice than the ice box, though the ice box is cool...pun intended.

Where did you buy the block of ice?  How much did it cost?  How did you get it around?

My dad used to tell me stories of being a little boy and the ice man coming around with a truck filled with ice blocks.  He said the guy had huge arms, and would pick up the block of ice with ice tongs and bring it into your house and put it in the ice box for you.  

He came every day or every few days (can't remember) and that's how you got ice for your ice box.

39 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

US Rifle, Caliber. 30, M1 Garand

KA-CHING!

"I'm out!"

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm more curious about the block of ice than the ice box, though the ice box is cool...pun intended.

Where did you buy the block of ice?  How much did it cost?  How did you get it around?

My dad used to tell me stories of being a little boy and the ice man coming around with a truck filled with ice blocks.  He said the guy had huge arms, and would pick up the block of ice with ice tongs and bring it into your house and put it in the ice box for you.  

He came every day or every few days (can't remember) and that's how you got ice for your ice box.

They sell them in my local supermarket (Hannaford).  They come in a bag, just like getting a bag of cubes.

https://assistive.hannaford.com/product/Creed-Ice-Block/712210.uts?refineByCategoryId=48585

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They sell them in my local supermarket (Hannaford).  They come in a bag, just like getting a bag of cubes.

https://assistive.hannaford.com/product/Creed-Ice-Block/712210.uts?refineByCategoryId=48585

Thanks!  I've never really looked for an ice block; maybe they have them at all grocery stores.

• Like (+1) 1

Pepsi Lime. Not diet Pepsi Lime which is still made.  Those Pepsi Limes were great for cooking beer can chicken in a smoker low and slow. It'd give you the sweetness of the sugar and the hint of lime into the meat which went with the smokey flavor perfectly.  And they were good for drinking too. 

Goose Island Honker's Ale and Sam Adams Boston Ale. Apparently, Boston Ale is brewed in limited editions, but only sold near Boston. Honker's is only available at the Goose Island brewpub in Chicago.

Both are nicely balanced ales - not too malty and not too bitter. Medium bodied - drinkable all year long. With the IPA craze going on these days, it's hard to find a good, balanced beer that's not overly hopped or laced with exotic fruits.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I've got a whole collection of antique beer signs that are in boxes because my man cave has yet to come to fruition. This is one of my favorites.  Its motorized and the wheels turn as the car goes up and down.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSju5bvFITdclRWHgThgWV

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I miss those Old Vienna splits! Couldn’t find them anywhere the last few trips up. 

Other than that, my Yonex AI 98 tennis racquet is only available on EBay now, I think. I’m good for now (and probably until my expiration date) since I bought extra grommets and bumpers for each of them. The frame generally only goes bad if you behave badly, like Serena Williams. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Where to you buy a block now?  Is that still a thing?

You probably had these two poor lovely ladies do the heavy lifting!  I hope you tipped handsomely:

044jpU9.jpg

9 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Goose Island Honker's Ale and Sam Adams Boston Ale. Apparently, Boston Ale is brewed in limited editions, but only sold near Boston. Honker's is only available at the Goose Island brewpub in Chicago.

Both are nicely balanced ales - not too malty and not too bitter. Medium bodied - drinkable all year long. With the IPA craze going on these days, it's hard to find a good, balanced beer that's not overly hopped or laced with exotic fruits.

I thought I saw it in Supermarkets here.  I may be wrong.  I will bring you some if you come to a tailgate.

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Thanx.  Didn't see this at first.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Maybe you could get some coal delivered next week?  The Ice Box is really nice though!

10 hours ago, /dev/null said:

US Rifle, Caliber. 30, M1 Garand

Had one of those in ROTC.  Got my thumb stuck in it, never liked it after that.

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Image result for s&h green stamps

Have no idea why, but i have kept a half full book of these

Is there any value to S&H Green Stamps?

Yes, those old green stamps do have value. ... There were other stamp operations, but S&H stamps were the most widely used. The company started selling the stampsto merchants in 1896. The idea was that they helped build customer loyalty.Jun 18, 2015

https://www.azcentral.com/story/claythompson/2015/06/18/stamps-groceries-store-green-redeem-collect/28933763/

CAREFUL the pop up has LOUD volume 

https://www.wikihow.com/Redeem-S%26H-Green-Stamps

Today, S&H offers "greenpoints" as rewards for purchases made on the Internet. However, if you still hold some Green Stamps, they do not expire and you can redeem them for greenpoints or cash.

Who knew

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Ive still got my XBox360 hooked up with a copy of NCAA Football for whenever I get the itch

Same. I had left it at my parent's house for a few years and then got the itch and brought it back to my apartment. Haven't played it in a little while now, but the college games were my obsession growing up. I'd do terrible things for a College Hoops 2K20.

About 20 years ago the PBS station in Buffalo made a show titled "Things that aren't there anymore."  It was a great program.  As I recall it was a give away on one of their panhandling drives.  A few years later, found one on Ebay.  It's old VHS, just have not upgraded the format yet.  Maybe 20+ years layer, it would be time for a re-do?

Cleary Canadian drinks.  I don't believe they sell them in the US anymore so you have to order them from Amazon or Ebay...prices are jacked up.

A damn 4 pack is $32.00.  This is probably my favorite drink of all time.

https://www.amazon.com/Clearly-Canadian-Sparkling-including-Blackberry/dp/B07L5Z2BHL/ref=sr_1_20?crid=J7Q4SRMZFH9I&keywords=clearly+canadian+sparkling+water&qid=1565698039&s=grocery&sprefix=Clearly+%2Cgrocery%2C139&sr=1-20

Edited by Royale with Cheese

3 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

About 20 years ago the PBS station in Buffalo made a show titled "Things that aren't there anymore."  It was a great program.  As I recall it was a give away on one of their panhandling drives.  A few years later, found one on Ebay.  It's old VHS, just have not upgraded the format yet.  Maybe 20+ years layer, it would be time for a re-do?

The irony of finding a VHS tape of something called "Things that aren't there anymore" is fascinating in and of itself.