Oh Gettleman

I will say this, and this is not a defense of their selection of Daniel Jones but if you believe that you have found what could be your franchise QB, no matter what the "value" charts say, you got and get him.    So in that regards, picking a QB that many analysts view as a reach and sticking to your convictions is the right move.   Again, this is not a defense of the selection of Daniel Jones, but a defense of the philosophy of getting the QB your organization has pegged as the best available franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Both are right-handed.

I'm just extremely confounded by that pick. From what I saw of Jones, he doesn't have a GREAT arm, he's not particularly accurate, and also not REALLY mobile.

The accuracy issue really stands out for me. If you're big and fast(Josh Allen, Newton), you have a chance to get away with it because of physical blessings. 

I don't see how Jones has that same margin for error when he wasn't born with those gifts.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Even if Jones plays well in the NFL, this pick will have lost value because he easily could have had an elite D prospect and still got Jones later...or Haskins...or Lock.  

Devil's Advocate for a second:  I never would have drafted Jones in round 1, but I don't necessarily agree that taking him at 6 instead of 17 is such a big deal.  Josh Allen was the obvious alternative at 6, but is it really such a slam dunk that he will be better than Dexter Lawrence, who they got at 17?  And maybe Lawrence is a better scheme fit for the Giants' D.  The bottom line is, if Jones stinks, it won't much matter if he was picked at 17 or 6.

20 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Not defending Gettleman, but he drafted a QB with at least some superficial resemblance to Cam Newton, whom he drafted for the Panthers.  It is a high risk pick.  I imagine the plan is to play Eli this year and groom Jones for the future.  His protege, Brandon Beane also drafted a QB with some superficial resemblance to Cam Newton.  It's not a done deal, but Allen shows some signs that he may develop into a fine NFL QB.  I think if I were a Giants fan, my main complaint is that  he could have gotten Daniel Jones later in round 1. He maybe could have tried to trade down from 6 overall, or taken a player with more potential for immediate impact at 6 and then traded up a bit from his second first rounder.  There are those GMs whose philosophy is if you like a player a great deal, you get him when you can.

I actually see your point on this.  It seems like our guys and Gettleman all want a qb who is like Newton.  In fact, Jones’ scouting report sounded like Allen’s - athletic, great size, not amazing production which some blamed on the team around him.  That said, as many questions as I had about Allen, he was a top 10 pick on nearly everyone’s board.  The Giants could have waited a lot long to get Jones.  If they got josh Allen 2.0 and then got Jones later, people would feel a lot better about the pick.  

4 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

I saw this last night.  I think Gettleman thought he was a Manning brother so he might be good. 

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Even if Jones plays well in the NFL, this pick will have lost value because he easily could have had an elite D prospect and still got Jones later...or Haskins...or Lock.  

I am a big believer of taking control and drafting the QB you believe in early. If you have two first round picks, regardless of where they are, you take the QB with the first one and the BPA with the second. Cleveland and Buffalo are perfect examples of this last year. Also, I think you need to either trade up for the QB or have an early enough pick like the Giants did that you are confident you will get your QB. I actually don't really like what Washington did. How much are they really all in and believe in Haskins if they were willing to just sit back at 16 and let him fall to them? It is similar to when we traded back in 2013 from 8 to 16 to draft EJ. Clear sign that we don't actually value the QB highly if we are willing to risk losing him.

Haskins and Lock could have been available or available still in Lock's case for a reason. Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Would you rather have Barkley/Jones or 2018 QB/2019 Defensive high pick?

Way too early to know. It basically depends on what Allen or Darnold develop into. I wonder how the Giants board ranked Allen and Darnold. I think we have all assumed Darnold 1 and Allen 2 but with Jones being a similar big and mobile QB maybe they had Allen over Darnold?

8 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Warren Sharp put it like this:

Door 1: Sam Darnold/OBJ/Josh Allen

Door 2: Daniel Jones/Saquon Barkley/Dexter Lawrence

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Magox said:

I will say this, and this is not a defense of their selection of Daniel Jones but if you believe that you have found what could be your franchise QB, no matter what the "value" charts say, you got and get him.    So in that regards, picking a QB that many analysts view as a reach and sticking to your convictions is the right move.   Again, this is not a defense of the selection of Daniel Jones, but a defense of the philosophy of getting the QB your organization has pegged as the best available franchise QB.

Exactly. I prefer this method over the Skins letting Haskins fall to them to 16. Or the Bills trading back to get EJ at 16. 

23 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm just extremely confounded by that pick. From what I saw of Jones, he doesn't have a GREAT arm, he's not particularly accurate, and also not REALLY mobile.

The accuracy issue really stands out for me. If you're big and fast(Josh Allen, Newton), you have a chance to get away with it because of physical blessings. 

I don't see how Jones has that same margin for error when he wasn't born with those gifts.

I don't know much about him either.

Is he more similar to Turbitzky in terms of mobility?

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Exactly. I prefer this method over the Skins letting Haskins fall to them to 16. Or the Bills trading back to get EJ at 16. 

I don't know much about him either.

Is he more similar to Turbitzky in terms of mobility?

They actually ran the EXACT same 40 time, which is kind of odd. 4.67. It's not that Jones is immobile; it's that he doesn't really do anything exceptionally well. I'm not a huge Trubisky fan, but there's never been any questions about arm strength. A guy like Jones (IMO) is only a first round pick if he's super accurate. That's not the case. Time will tell, but I just don't see it. Glad it's the Giants problem and not ours.

5 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

They actually ran the EXACT same 40 time, which is kind of odd. 4.67. It's not that Jones is immobile; it's that he doesn't really do anything exceptionally well. 

And straight 40 times don't necessarily tell us how well of a runner they will be. Josh's time was almost a .10 slower but he is far more mobile on the field then guys like Watson and Turbitzky with faster times. Other factors contribute to being a good running QB, vision, timing, agility, size etc.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I'd rather have either Darnold/Josh Allen along with OBJ and either Josh Allen Edge or Ed Oliver as opposed to Jones/Barkley/Lawrence.

Really starting to believe that Beane made Gettleman look good down in Carolina. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Devil's Advocate for a second:  I never would have drafted Jones in round 1, but I don't necessarily agree that taking him at 6 instead of 17 is such a big deal.  Josh Allen was the obvious alternative at 6, but is it really such a slam dunk that he will be better than Dexter Lawrence, who they got at 17?  And maybe Lawrence is a better scheme fit for the Giants' D.  The bottom line is, if Jones stinks, it won't much matter if he was picked at 17 or 6.

Agree, but they could have taken several players there and got dexter too and got Jones later.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Agree, but they could have taken several players there and got dexter too and got Jones later.

Maybe.  But they also may have had some intel that the Redskins or Dolphins or some other team liked Jones and might take him in round 1.  Everyone is assuming that’s not the case, but we don’t know.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/19/2019 at 3:50 PM, GunnerBill said:

He is a 4th round talent. If he goes in the 1st round I am giving up. I have been writing up my QB notes today (post to come tomorrow) and seriously.... he is so limited. 

I guess you give up.  You did not say what so chocolate like some do for lent or something non-physical like sanity?

25 minutes ago, mannc said:

Maybe.  But they also may have had some intel that the Redskins or Dolphins or some other team liked Jones and might take him in round 1.  Everyone is assuming that’s not the case, but we don’t know.  

This.  Teams always have a different valuation on players than the draft pundits and "fan wisdom".  Sometimes it's higher, and sometimes it's lower.

The bottom line is if a team really wants a QB, they better get him and not assume he'll still be there rounds later.  That's the strategy that had the Bills passing up chances at Wilson and Cousins and Foles in favor of ...OK, let's not go there.

20 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You are f'in kiddin me.  OK no I guess you're not. 

10 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

We didn't exactly love the Allen pick, turned out OK. 

We hope it does, anyway

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  Teams always have a different valuation on players than the draft pundits and "fan wisdom".  Sometimes it's higher, and sometimes it's lower.

The bottom line is if a team really wants a QB, they better get him and not assume he'll still be there rounds later.  That's the strategy that had the Bills passing up chances at Wilson and Cousins and Foles in favor of ...OK, let's not go there.

You are f'in kiddin me.  OK no I guess you're not. 

We hope it does, anyway

That's why when the Broncos traded back I was pretty sure they weren't getting there QB this year. With that interview with his dad that got reported the other day and this maybe there were reasons for the Giants not to like Haskins but then again if he can play it won't matter.

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That's why when the Broncos traded back I was pretty sure they weren't getting there QB this year. With that interview with his dad that got reported the other day and this maybe there were reasons for the Giants not to like Haskins but then again if he can play it won't matter.

Broncos could still jump up from 41 and snag Lock.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

What grab him in the second instead of the 1st where they'd have a 5th year option on their next qb? That doesn't scream excitement to me I'd bet they're looking to the next crop of QBs to find their franchise Quarterback.

43 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If you paid $50 to go to Haskins draft party, you are a loser and don’t deserve that $50.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I don’t get the Lock Hype.  He is whatever to me but I could be wrong. 

39 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Haskins, "The league done messed up".  His entitled attitude turned me off last night.  Time will tell if he can back that up.

So happy with our QB.

Eh, I don’t get mad at a player for getting man.  I’d be pissed if Jones got drafted ahead of me too.

and I think Haskins can be really good even though Washington is a joke organization.

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

What grab him in the second instead of the 1st where they'd have a 5th year option on their next qb? That doesn't scream excitement to me I'd bet they're looking to the next crop of QBs to find their franchise Quarterback.

I don't think it matters that much, tbh. Seattle didn't have a 5th year option for Wilson, Washington had a 5th year on RG3, but not on Kirk Cousins. They both still did good things for their teams. Dalton, Garroppolo. The 5th year is nice, but it's nice at every position.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t get the Lock Hype.  He is whatever to me but I could be wrong. 

As I told my buddy last night who hadn't heard of him, he's an overhyped, raw Mizzou QB. Blaine Gabbert 2.0. Fortunately, he won't have to deal with the high expectations Gabbert had due to his selection spot. He's got potential. I think sitting behind Flacco for a year or 2 would do well for him.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What is Jones’ resemblance to Cam Newton? Honest question as I didn’t watch Duke football on the regular.  From what I saw, he was like Ryan Tannehill.

He's big, has a strong arm and is reasonably athletic.   I think those traits are pretty important to Beane and Gettleman.

5 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

He's big, has a strong arm and is reasonably athletic.   I think those traits are pretty important to Beane and Gettleman.

Jones does not possess a strong arm by any means.  And a very slow release.  Horrible downfield accuracy.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/daniel-jones?id=32194a4f-4e16-5462-39a4-3b4fa743c66f

10 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Except he doesn't have a strong arm. His arm is very, very average. 

He is sneaky athletic I will give him that. 

Oh and Gettleman had nothing to do with the drafting of Cam Newton. Just as an FYI. 

On 4/19/2019 at 3:50 PM, GunnerBill said:

He is a 4th round talent. If he goes in the 1st round I am giving up. I have been writing up my QB notes today (post to come tomorrow) and seriously.... he is so limited. 

Guess you should give up...not only in 1st round but in the top 10...

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Rex thought Mark Sanchize was the Franchise...

On 4/25/2019 at 10:26 PM, Warcodered said:

He actually seemed surprised to get picked that soon.

Of course he did...just like everyone else. But thanx G-man, all mocks said we needed two overreaches @ QB to score a top 5 talent at 9 and you are welcome to my liquor cabinet anytime. I'm quacking open a cold one for this amazing draft right now. Yes I said amazing and I meant it. A grade draft.

On 4/26/2019 at 4:59 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

But when you factor in the stupidity of last year's draft - taking a running back at 2 in a QB-heavy draft where everyone knew that the 2019 crop of QBs was going to be a huge downgrade - he's a moron.  They could have Darnold throwing to OBJ with Josh Jacobs taking handoffs this year.  Gettleman is a clown show.

Look, what you say Is True. However Gettleman has been a blessing to our Bills 1st round opportunities 2 years in a row. This is special and makes we wonder if Beane has influence over him. Seriously, I've never seen any Bills drafts like the last 2. Beane is a Wizard, like the Ozzy song. Or a Jedi??