TV Shows That Stayed On Too Long

45 minutes ago, bbb said:

'

But, Happy Days actually jumped the shark way before Fonzie jumped the shark.  I would argue it was lame after a great first season.  Chuck was gone with no explanation, Fonzie went from a tough guy without a leather jacket to whatever he was after that with a leather jacket,  and it went from single camera to multi camera.

It really seemed like it was in the 50s.  Within a few years, they were wearing 70s haircuts and not even pretending it was in the 50s.

In the end Richie wasn’t even there any more. 

I think they they had two or three good years, but it got too bland and predictable. MASH was the same way and about at the same time.

7 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I think they they had two or three good years, but it got too bland and predictable. MASH was the same way and about at the same time.

Col. Potter was a “horse’s patoot!”

MASH died with Henry Blake.

Edited by The Senator
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Walking Dead lost me shortly after Negan appeared. 

Became a "Wash, Rinse, Repeat" kinda thing after the governor season. Not sure what number that one was. Four?

4 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Married With Children really fell off the last couple seasons...just became way too "slap sticky" and gimmicky. 

When "7" first appeared?

7 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That x 100  

Clogging the networks 

Supernatural

Arrow

Flash

Survivor 

Big Brother

the Bachelor and  Bachelorette

Family Guy

I fully understand why you and others do not like these.  A guilty pleasure for me though have to admit. Love all the reality stuff. Also enjoy "The Challange", "Below Deck" and " Million Dollar Listing" ?

8 minutes ago, Dante said:

Became a "Wash, Rinse, Repeat" kinda thing after the governor season. Not sure what number that one was. Four?

When "7" first appeared?

I think it was already getting to that point before he appeared from what I remember but that certainly didn't help things.  For the record, as a whole Married With Children is still one of my Top 5 Sitcoms of all time!

3 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I think it was already getting to that point before he appeared from what I remember but that certainly didn't help things.  For the record, as a whole Married With Children is still one of my Top 5 Sitcoms of all time!

Yes, it could have started before that. I just remember that's the last season that was entertaining for me.

I agree with Married With Children. One of my favs as well. Lots of memorable scenes. What was great about it was the complete lack of social or political commentary. All the characters suffered from a severe lack of character! So good and still holds up today.

Edited by Dante

7 hours ago, shrader said:

I have no issue with where South Park is today, but I kind of wish they ended it a few years ago with that season finale where Stan  became ridiculously cynical and the Marsh's moved away.  That would have been a great way to awkwardly end the show when no one expected it.

I disagree....there's no story or character arc to SP so don't think think there's a 'right note' to go out on.  They've always had unfunny episodes but they've always, and still, have the ability to knock it out of the park.

A lot of good ones mentioned above;  a few more:

Entourage -- Initially hilarious but was painfully bad by the end.

That 70s Show -- needed to end before they all grew up

Friends -- I guess they had to keep it going until everyone had banged everyone else

Someone will eventually say the Sopranos, but they will be wrong.

Edited by KD in CA

6 minutes ago, Dante said:

Yes, it could have started before that. I just remember that's the last season that was entertaining for me.

I agree with Married With Children. One of my favs as well. Lots of memorable scenes. What was great about it was the complete lack of social or political commentary. All the characters suffered from a severe lack of character! So good and still holds up today.

I agree that is still holds up today yet I still consider it a timepiece as well in the sense when you go back and watch it, it really captures the general feeling of how things were back in the 90s

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I disagree....there's no story or character arc to SP so don't think think there's a 'right note' to go out on.  They've always had unfunny episodes but they've always, and still, have the ability to knock it out of the park.

Friends -- I guess they had to keep it going until everyone had banged everyone else

The last few seasons of south park have had story arcs for the season

I didnt have an issue with Entourage, although most seasons the story was the same. Vince films a movie, there are issues with it, things work out in the end.....

Most shows, like That 70s show, stay on too long when the main characters leave and they try to move on with new characters replacing them. That 70s Show, The Office, Two and a Half Men, etc. Very few shows get better late in their run when they make major changes to the main cast members

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Definitely MASH was the same way - it was my favorite show in high school and maybe even junior high, but it was unwatchable in the 80s.  And, yeah, they did mirror each other in terms of being my two favorite shows at the same time, and not standing them later, also at the same time.

6 hours ago, bbb said:

'

But, Happy Days actually jumped the shark way before Fonzie jumped the shark.  I would argue it was lame after a great first season.  Chuck was gone with no explanation, Fonzie went from a tough guy without a leather jacket to whatever he was after that with a leather jacket,  and it went from single camera to multi camera.

It really seemed like it was in the 50s.  Within a few years, they were wearing 70s haircuts and not even pretending it was in the 50s.

In Sling Blade, John Ritter insisted that his gay Dollar Store manager character have the last name of Cunningham.

He said it would explain what happened to Chuck from Happy Days.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Personally, I enjoyed Game of Thrones until whichever season they introduced Dorne, and it was over at that point. I think it was season 5.

Once they got past GRRMs original material, it was clear that the writers had no ***** idea what they were doing. It was painful to watch.

Pretty much any "good" show that was ever on SHOWTIME, went on for way too long...

Dexter - should have ended after the Trinity Killer in season 3,

Shameless -it is painful to watch now, even though it has a fantastic cast, just awful writing

Nurse Jackie - it wasn't horrible at the end, but it just got sort of repetitive, should have ended a season earlier

Weeds- Really liked it, until they went to Mexico, season 5 I think...the last 3 seasons were terrible

Homeland- could have ended after 2 seasons

Others:

The Walking Dead: had the uncanny ability to make you keep watching, even though it was, in truth, never very good.  It seemed like you were always waiting for it to get better, and they made it seemed like it would...but it was just the same thing, over and over....terrible show. Stopped watching during the first Neegan season. Horrible, lazy writing....

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That x 100  

Clogging the networks 

Supernatural

Arrow

Flash

Survivor 

Big Brother

the Bachelor and  Bachelorette

Family Guy

I can understand why this show would be picked, however I still love it.

The writers have done a great job in keeping Supernatural entertaining.

• Like (+1) 1

Sons of Anarchy was painful the last few seasons but I stuck with it for some reason.

Walking Dead: I never got into TWD and everytime I tried to binge it something came up.  I gave up on trying to binge it a year or two ago because everybody says it sucks now

SNL has had it's ebbs and flows but the last 15 years or so have been awful and no offense to anyone, but these days it's pretty much just propaganda for the DNC

I don't watch reality tv but am surprised shows like Survivor, Big Brother, the Bachelor, etc are still around

South Park I will admit has dropped off a little the last few years but a bad South Park episode is still better than most TV shows

Two Broke Girls. Should have been cancelled after one season. Somehow they dragged that piece of ***** out for six seasons. And I’m the type that once I start watching a show, I’ve got to watch the series until it’s cancelled. 

6 hours ago, Buftex said:

Pretty much any "good" show that was ever on SHOWTIME, went on for way too long.

Excellent observation.

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

I don't watch reality tv but am surprised shows like Survivor, Big Brother, the Bachelor, etc are still around

That fact speaks to the ‘dumbed-down, attention *****’ mentality society has devolved to.

12 hours ago, Dante said:

I fully understand why you and others do not like these.  A guilty pleasure for me though have to admit. Love all the reality stuff. Also enjoy "The Challange", "Below Deck" and " Million Dollar Listing" ?

I watched Survivor for close to 10 years.

Then I gave up when all the All Stars were on season after season.  A work friend still loves the show.

Big Brother was IMO just trash 

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I can understand why this show would be picked, however I still love it.

The writers have done a great job in keeping Supernatural entertaining.

I know.  (I still watch it)  But they have to end it.  

Shaggy and Thelma was funny as hell.  

Seeing Negan back was mehish. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The Andy Griffith Show, with Barney, still makes me laugh hard to this day. After he left, they stopped being about the slapstick humor, and relied on the wholesomeness of a small southern town than it did on actually being laugh out loud funny. It had a few small moments, but if I'm flipping through the channels, and see that Andy Griffith is on in color, I change the channel. 

Apparently, Don Knotts left over a contract dispute. He even tried coming back, but they wouldn't have him as a regular anymore. Don Knotts was a comic genius.

Yeah, about the time Knotts left but for different reasons.  The show always did best with a strong second tier character such as Floyd, Gomer Pyle, or Briscoe Darling.  That ended in 1965 with Denver Pyle (Darling) gone and Goober a pale imitation of his cousin Gomer.  To my knowledge there was no salary dispute.  Knotts decided he could make it big in movies so that was the direction he went.  I don't know that was the best choice but by 1966 The Andy Griffith Show was in deep decline so it would have not been a long term solution for Knotts.

All in the Family should have ended a year after Meathead moved out.

MASH is the classic example to me for a show that way over stayed its welcome.  War is bad?  Gee, I guess we had to be told that for 11 years as Alan Alda thought his audience to be a bunch of primitive simpletons.  

Would agree on the Simpsons but it seems to find its legs after a 3 year stretch of being very stale.  I guess for a thread about poor episodes versus overall production that The Simpsons would rate as mediocre in terms of quality.  Even Star Trek TOS suffers here as out of 79 episodes easily half were very mediocre if not bad.

Anyone here a fan of Babylon 5? That show was supposed to run 5 years. But Warner Bros didn't green light season 5 before season 4 production was under way.

So J. Michael Strazinski, the main guy behind Babylon 5, was forced to wrap up the story arc in season 4. But then Warner Bros came back and asked for season 5!

So an additional season was written and slapped on. Not only did season 4 suffer because the story arc had to be wrapped quicker, but season 5 was awkward and anticlimactic. However they did manage to make the final episode quite good.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Sons of Anarchy was painful the last few seasons but I stuck with it for some reason.

Walking Dead: I never got into TWD and everytime I tried to binge it something came up.  I gave up on trying to binge it a year or two ago because everybody says it sucks now

SNL has had it's ebbs and flows but the last 15 years or so have been awful and no offense to anyone, but these days it's pretty much just propaganda for the DNC

South Park I will admit has dropped off a little the last few years but a bad South Park episode is still better than most TV shows

SOA devolved into The A Team but without any of the qualities that made that show entertaining.  I would get down on SNL but I understand its true purpose has been to be a soap box for the left for the last 25 years.

13 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That 70's Show should have ended after its third season.  I did not like it after Red lost his edge.  They should have had Hyde do a story arc where he was in the county lock up for 60 or 90 days on some low level offense.

Two current ones come to mind

Vikings was awesome its first season, decent to very good season two...unwatchable after that

You're the Worst- Been watching this show religiously since the first episode.. the first season was a masterpiece, 2nd pretty good, 3rd  and 4th were... meh???

But this  last and final is pretty good..although lasts night episode was pretty damn funny..think cause I love the Vernon character

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Two current ones come to mind

Vikings was awesome its first season, decent to very good season two...unwatchable after that

You're the Worst- Been watching this show religiously since the first episode.. the first season was a masterpiece, 2nd pretty good, 3rd  and 4th were... meh???

But this  last and final is pretty good..although lasts night episode was pretty damn funny..think cause I love the Vernon character

IMO  Vikings for the most part is still OK.   

The part where Ragnar became addicted to the drugs was a bit much.

The Floki parts where he went off to start a new settlement needs to go away.  

Ivar is one screwed up character 

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Anyone here a fan of Babylon 5? That show was supposed to run 5 years. But Warner Bros didn't green light season 5 before season 4 production was under way.

So J. Michael Strazinski, the main guy behind Babylon 5, was forced to wrap up the story arc in season 4. But then Warner Bros came back and asked for season 5!

So an additional season was written and slapped on. Not only did season 4 suffer because the story arc had to be wrapped quicker, but season 5 was awkward and anticlimactic. However they did manage to make the final episode quite good.

Loved B5 but that 5th season was some bad TV. And then there was that terrible short lived spinoff with Lumberg as captain of a ship saving humanity from a plague, and somehow there was a wizard in on the spaceship

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

IMO  Vikings for the most part is still OK.   

The part where Ragnar became addicted to the drugs was a bit much.

The Floki parts where he went off to start a new settlement needs to go away.  

Ivar is one screwed up character 

I stopped watching like 2 episodes into season 3

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Two Broke Girls. Should have been cancelled after one season. Somehow they dragged that piece of ***** out for six seasons. And I’m the type that once I start watching a show, I’ve got to watch the series until it’s cancelled. 

That was hard just to LISTEN to. The blonde has found her way back on TV now (Neighbors? or something like that...)  

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Loved B5 but that 5th season was some bad TV. And then there was that terrible short lived spinoff with Lumberg as captain of a ship saving humanity from a plague, and somehow there was a wizard in on the spaceship

Oh god I forgot about that show. "Rangers?" It was a turd.

EDIT: It was called "Crusade."

Edited by PromoTheRobot